BajaNomad

Old Desert Magazine Baja Pics

David K - 1-9-2005 at 02:44 PM

It is about time I share more of my wealth with you all. I have been very kindly rewarded with a collection of Baja books and magazines. Both through my own collecting and gifts from friends.

My computer and scanner was also made available so I could continue to keep the old Baja memories alive. Jimmy Smith said I was the bridge between the old pre-pavement memories and today's Baja aficionados.

I have a large collection of Desert Magazines featuring Baja articles. While the size restrictions here on Nomad prevents text scans (that can be read), I can share photos.

Desert Magazine was published by my late friend Choral Pepper during the 1960's and it was her wish that I keep the Baja memories alive as well... she called me The Baja Connection.

I posted a photo from El Rosario in 1959 yesterday. Here is Erle Stanley Gardner, who in 1967 arranged for the very first blimp to fly over Baja. Choral was a passenger on board.

Papa Diaz at Bahia de los Angeles

David K - 1-9-2005 at 02:58 PM

Photo from June, 1966 Desert Magazine... taken in late February or early March of that year. Guests of Casa Diaz paid via an honor system.

Choral Pepper and J.W. Black

David K - 1-9-2005 at 03:29 PM

Climbing to the cave she spotted from the helicopter, north of San Ignacio...

Desert Comics

David K - 1-9-2005 at 03:52 PM

from Oct. 1965... This reminded me of those of you who tease me about looking for the Lost Mission!

Gonzaga Bay April, 1969

David K - 1-9-2005 at 04:02 PM

A great aerial photo that shows the camping beach over the rise from Papa Fernandez' (Punta Willard), Bahia San Luis Gonzaga (often misnamed Willard Bay), San Luis Gonzaga Island, the beach where Alfonsina's is located, and Punta Final way off at the southern end of the larger bay, Ensenada de San Francisquito (that everyone also calls Gonzaga Bay).

Hey David,

Frigatebird - 1-9-2005 at 04:02 PM

Are there any details on the blimp story? Was it a pleasure cruise, or a promotion for Goodyear?

Frigatebird

November, 1966: San Francisco de la Sierra

David K - 1-9-2005 at 07:30 PM

Here, Choral has placed an arrow pointing to the ruins of (what the villagers told her was) Mision Dolores del Norte, a prviously lost or mis-placed mission (by historians).

February, 1965: Mision San Luis Gonzaga

David K - 1-9-2005 at 07:37 PM

January, 1965: J.W. Black & Concepcion Bay Dig

David K - 1-9-2005 at 07:44 PM

June, 1960: Main road in 'Los Cabos'

David K - 1-9-2005 at 07:58 PM

Here is the road between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas... the way I remember it as well, on my first trip!

David K - 1-9-2005 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frigatebird
Are there any details on the blimp story? Was it a pleasure cruise, or a promotion for Goodyear?

Frigatebird

A great question!

Choral Pepper writes that an energetic voice over the phone barked:"Get ready to go to Baja on the Goodyear blimp". Choral knew only Erle Stanley Gardner would launch a Baja expedition by blimp!

Gardner (creator of Perry Mason and mystery, adventure author) needed material for his next Baja book and it seems he convinced the Goodyear company that the expedition would be good publicity for them.

The attached photo is of Tijuana's Jai Alai building, taken from the blimp... from Gardner's 1968 'Mexico's Magic Square'...

Lindalou - 1-9-2005 at 08:40 PM

Wow David, these are fantastic old pictures, Thanks alot!:spingrin::tumble:

Linda

David K - 1-9-2005 at 11:28 PM

My pleasure Linda!

I bet Mike Humfreville will appreciate the photo of Papa's Honor Payment clipboard, too. Those were the days!

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by David K]

Mexitron - 1-9-2005 at 11:41 PM

The Cabo road is amazing......Gonzaga brings back some nice memories....thanks for posting David!

David K - 1-10-2005 at 12:40 AM

Yes, it is quite a change from the four lane highway today!

When I went there first in 1966 (with my parents), the graded 'new road' had reached between San Bartolo and Los Barriles. From that point to the tip and around the cape to Todos Santos was all a single lane 'Jeep road'! Todos Santos north was graded. Pavement only went 10 miles south from La Paz that year.

By 1970 the road was paved to Cabo, via Los Barriles.

Bob H - 1-10-2005 at 09:51 AM

David, love the Gonzaga bay shot. Audrey and I camped right near the boat ramp at Papa Fernandez place two years ago looking out towards Punta Willard and San Luis Gonzaga island - kayaked all over that bay. There are a few houses there now that are not in this photo. Great air shot there - thanks for sharing these.
Bob H

June, 1966

David K - 1-10-2005 at 12:41 PM

Here is a portion of a full page add for Erle Stanley Gardner's books... These are sold (used) for sometimes over $50 today. Note the 25 cent handling charge!

J.W. Black, mechanical genius!

David K - 1-10-2005 at 12:57 PM

In this article by Bruce Barron, J.W. Black is pictured demonstrating a method he invented to repair tubless tires and reseal the bead, without the benefit of a large volume of compressed air. A rope is tied around the tire and then tightened like a tourniquet with a tire iron. The standard spark plug air pump then can reinflate the tire.

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by David K]

cardonhugger - 1-10-2005 at 03:48 PM

Excellent submissions!!! I've read a few of those books(found at the library) and was always impressed with Gardners' folksy writing style, ambitious expeditions and diverse entourage along on the trips.

This tire repair is is incredible...anyone done it? I've heard of llanteras using a little gasoline in the tire, adding a match, and poof, a set bead! Anyone use this method??? It's why I've always run BFG's!

Thanks David.....!

Debra - 1-10-2005 at 08:33 PM

Over the last few days I've been looking at my books and Choral's Mags. and wanting to get back into them, your sharing caused me to tell the kids and grandkids ( "Grandma time, don't bother me!") :biggrin: I'll be re-reading Jimmy's books also. :bounce: Thanks.....

bajaandy - 1-10-2005 at 10:21 PM

Excellent series of photos David. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post them. It always gives cause for pause when viewing old photos of places I've been and seen. I think most of us are fascinated with how things used to be... Gonzaga Bay with no buildings, San Felipe looking like the sleepy little fishing village is used to be.
Thanks again.