BajaNomad

Very Easy Mystery Spots

Natalie Ann - 1-10-2005 at 12:36 AM

Here are a couple of very easy mystery spots to start our week off right. Who will be the first to name each?

Natalie Ann - 1-10-2005 at 12:37 AM

y otro:

David K - 1-10-2005 at 12:44 AM

I will U2U the guesses I have...:D

Mike Humfreville - 1-10-2005 at 01:16 AM

G & M, NFM.

Pompano - 1-10-2005 at 06:03 AM

Good Baja landmarks...I once lost an anchor close to where that old sailboat is mudbound. And I have coffee now and then in the harbormasters office. You can see that spot from here...:spingrin:

Bruce R Leech - 1-10-2005 at 07:54 AM

#2 River and light house in Mulege.

#3 mission Santa Rosalia in Mulege

David K - 1-10-2005 at 10:20 AM

Bruce, take a guess at #1!:?:

It is a beach that connects to an island (in a bay) at low tide... much like El Requeson, but this is in Baja Norte.:light:

Natalie Ann - 1-10-2005 at 10:34 AM

Congradulations everyone, you're all correct. I couldn't sleep last night and was feeling nostalgic for two of my favorite places to kick back in Baja.

Thanks for participating, friends.

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by Natalie Ann]

David K - 1-10-2005 at 10:43 AM

Thanks Natalie!

For those who wondered, #1 is the beach at Alfonsina's, Gonzaga Bay and that mountain is the island in the bay.

David K - 1-10-2005 at 10:53 AM

Here's a classic map of the area from 1975. You pilots should recognize it! It's Arnold Senterfitt's 12 Edition Chart. Airports are IDed by the number in a circle which is the page in Arnold's book. Below are a pair of numbers, the first is the runway elevation in feet, the second is the runway length in hundreds of feet. So, '40--24' would mean 40' above sea level and a 2400 foot long runway.

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by David K]

David K - 1-10-2005 at 11:08 AM

... and here's the other area where Natalie's picture was taken, from Arnold's 12th edition Baja chart

cristobal - 1-10-2005 at 11:15 AM

NATALIE ANN ....
When did you take the PIC of that old sailboat in the mudflats in MULEGE ...???
That is the boat that I stayed on when it was in the MARINA at SANTA ROSALIA .... a couple of years ago. The owner got kicked out and moved it about 100 miles SOUTH to this river .... I just E-MAILED his daughter a couple of days ago to touch base with him and she doesn't know where he is staying ..... a true VAGABUNDO .....:bounce::bounce:

One more thing ... If it isn't a recent PIC ... could you check and see if it is still there ... ;D his daughter would love an update ..... gracias .... :bounce::o

:o:smug:;D:wow::yawn::P:P

Pompano - 1-10-2005 at 11:39 AM

Well, Natalie Ann...you started a good thread game...here's another easy one for Nomads to guess at...

Bob H - 1-10-2005 at 12:42 PM

Here's another easy location, huh?
Bob H

Pompano - 1-10-2005 at 01:01 PM

I think I've seen that pickup camper before....on that 'loooong' stretch of road...

Natalie Ann - 1-10-2005 at 01:08 PM

David K - thanks for spelling out the Gonzaga Beach answer (guess I overlooked that part). Also the maps you posted are great!

Bob H. and Pompano - Really nice photos and I've no friggin' idea where they could be. Easy you say? I'm looking forward to the answers.

Cristobal - Synchronicity, I love it! The photo was taken in late February/early March of 2004. I'd love to drop by to see if the boat's still there, but we'll have better luck asking someone who's actually in Mulege now -

Hey Bruce, got some time to take a look?

And BTW, here's another boat in the Mulege River; don't believe anyone's lived on it for quite some time.

Pompano - 1-10-2005 at 01:14 PM

Natalie Ann....I have to go into Mulege later today and will post a photo on this thread later for you on that boat.

The shrine photo of mine in on the Bay road between Cocos beach and Burros...Bay of Conception about 15 miles south of Mulege.

That long road shot of mine is not fair....meant to be a joke. It's on the way to mi rancho in North Dakota!:spingrin:

Bob H

David K - 1-10-2005 at 01:17 PM

The only clue I can get from your photo is the extra wide pavement... So, my guess is the Escalara Nautica 'highway' to Santa Rosalillita??!!

woops ....

cristobal - 1-10-2005 at 01:20 PM

I was thinkin' you were down there ... Natalie Ann .....:bounce: That would be a long drive to come down from BERKELEY .... just to give me an update ... lol ....

:o:smug:;D:wow::P:P

cristobal - 1-10-2005 at 01:26 PM

POMPANO ...
I was going to say ...

I'll bet that is the FIRST part of the road that they are starting to upgrade ...... look at how WIDE that road is ......

:o:o:o

Bob H - 1-11-2005 at 08:51 AM

David K.... BINGO! It is the wide pavement leading to what is supposed to be the Escalara Nautica 'highway' to Santa Rosalillita - it appears to be about four lanes wide! But, it ends in only two or three kilometers and all work has come to a halt ever since (about two years now, maybe more). But, I know you are most likely aware of that.
Good guess!
Bob H

bajaandy - 1-11-2005 at 01:21 PM

Bob,
I thought I recognized that part of the "wide road". What a hoot that is to drive on in the middle of no where. (Or is that the edge of no where?)

Natalie Ann, what a great thread.

Keep 'em coming everybody!

Bob H - 1-11-2005 at 03:08 PM

Here's another mystery spot. Loved this area a LOT.
Bob H

bajaandy - 1-11-2005 at 03:33 PM

Okay Bob... I'll give it a go. (Probably WAY off, but what the heck.)
Looking west from somewhere near Coco's Corner?

Bob H - 1-11-2005 at 04:08 PM

BajaAndy... no, it's not that far inland.
This one is probably not real fair so I'll give you two clues.
1. there is water out there
2. this scene is facing west from the edge of the Sea of Cortez
Bob H

Pompano - 1-11-2005 at 04:42 PM

The brackish lagoon north of Pta. Chivato?

Bajadtodebone - 1-11-2005 at 08:34 PM

The lagoon at the south end of LA Bay?.

David K - 1-11-2005 at 11:03 PM

I know Bob! :lol::lol::lol:
For everyone else: Hint: it's low tide!

Pompano - 1-12-2005 at 04:51 AM

San Mateo?:?: We may need another hint....:biggrin: This is a good one.

Natalie Ann, I finally got some photos of the boat on the mud at Mulege estuary. It looks a little lonely.

Pompano - 1-12-2005 at 04:53 AM

Pompano - 1-12-2005 at 04:57 AM

Opps..meant to say those boat photos were for you...'CRISTOBAL'. :)

Bob H - 1-12-2005 at 09:54 AM

David K - I know you know because you were there when I took this shot! But I think you really know because you have been going there all your life.

This view was taken standing on Shell Island just south of Laguna Percebu at "low tide". You can only get to Shell Island during low tide. This was a tough one because so many areas look like this throughout Baja.
Bob H

[Edited on 1-12-2005 by Bob H]

POMPANO ....

cristobal - 1-12-2005 at 11:09 AM

Gracias amigo .... I will get the word off to the owners DAUGHTER ..... that he still has his sailboat in MULEGE :bounce:
I am sure she is wondering if her dad is out on the high seas ....:bounce:

The owner sent me an E-MAIL from SANTA ROSALIA in MARCH 2003 that he was asked to leave the marina .... he was several months behind in rent. When he made his escape .... there was no wind for the longest time. It took him 4 days to go the 100 miles (160 KM) SOUTH to the river ...:bounce: now that is slooooooow.:bounce:
That is the sailboat that I listed for sale on the AMIGOS board in JAN 2003 for $18,000. He was planning to sail the boat up to SAN DIEGO and put it on the market ... if he couldn't get rid of it in BAJA. :bounce: who knows where he is now ...??????

:o:smug:;D:wow::P:P

Natalie Ann - 1-13-2005 at 12:43 AM

What a nice way that worked out....
I post a not-very-good image simply because I like the sky/water colors. Cristobal sees my post and recognizes the boat. Pompano is kind enough to go there to take a picture of same boat one year later... certainly appears to be in the same spot and angle, too. It just kinda brings a smile to my heart. Cristobal, may this all be helpful to his daughter in some way.

And one other thing.... sure wish I'd known it was deserted when I was there. I'm sure I could have found someone to take her (and me) out for a sail had I known. :);):rolleyes:

Mudbound boat

rednckgrrl - 2-3-2005 at 08:40 PM

Natalie Ann and Cristobal....

That is my fathers boat, the Emma Nell, slanting in the mud. He built that with his own two hands in the back yard of the suburbs and named it after his mother. Such a shame to see it that way. If anyone has any information on the boat or my father (Tony Cox) please e-mail me. I would love to come rescue the boat but I don't have a trailer just yet. It's a family heirloom and priceless to me. Coming across it this way has just been a miracle.

Thanks for any and all information, especially pictures. Please e-mail me!!

Natalie Ann - 2-4-2005 at 11:40 AM

Rednckgrrl - I'll check our photos from that trip this weekend; perhaps we have one with you dad's boat from another angle. If we are able to find any I'll u2u you here to get your regular email address.

I'm thinking perhaps one of our members from the Mulege area might ask around about the boat and her owner - Pompano (again)? or maybe Bruce? Capt. Mike's literally just around the corner when he's down there and might check with Serenidad staff? Bob and Susan in their spare time (that's a joke, you two, I know you're real busy down there!).

Let's see if anyone responds here to help you out - if not, you might try beginning a new thread asking for assistance from the Mulege area. I do wish you well, rednckgrrl, in locating your dad and also in the return of the boat. Keep us posted.

Message for Rednckgrrl...sailboat Emma Nell

Pompano - 2-6-2005 at 12:37 PM

Hi...I live in the area and launch a fishing boat quite often right next to where the sailboat sits in the mud. I could help with getting some information on the boat. What did you have in mind?

expat2B - 2-7-2005 at 05:57 PM

I'll try one...
and hope it falls within the very easy category. Truth be told, I know where "it" is located, but not "who" it's supposed to represent.