BajaNomad

Coffee with the Captain

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-17-2015 at 07:31 PM

Udo - 5-18-2015 at 09:05 AM

NICE!

capt. mike - 5-18-2015 at 10:19 AM

Wow, how cool. Thanks for going to my on line store!

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-18-2015 at 10:44 AM

Captain Mike they are very nice coffee cups. Ya did good brother.

wessongroup - 5-18-2015 at 10:56 AM

Used to like it this way ... too

Sure miss getting "out" and doing it :):)

DENNIS - 5-18-2015 at 11:15 AM

I use the Keurig just like the one pictured. Even use the fillable pod as shown in the pic.
Love the machine.

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-18-2015 at 01:20 PM

Yes Dennis it is a good coffee Machine. I love it too!

motoged - 5-19-2015 at 10:00 AM

Nice cup.

Too bad that the guy that invented Keurig coffee pods regrets it due to the pollution they have created.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.2981396/k-cup-inventor-regrets-creating-non-recyclable-keurig-coffee-pod-1.29832 43

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-20-2015 at 05:07 AM

I recycle mine!

Bajahowodd - 5-20-2015 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Nice cup.

Too bad that the guy that invented Keurig coffee pods regrets it due to the pollution they have created.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.2981396/k-cup-inventor-regrets-creating-non-recyclable-keurig-coffee-pod-1.29832 43

I read that a while ago. Not to mention, he does not use his own machine!

David K - 5-20-2015 at 05:41 PM

Did you read how much he made before trashing the company that gave him millions? The flavored creamers at restaurants use zillions of similar size plastic containers, where's the outrage?
edit: Come to think of it, the regular cream containers are also a huge 'waste' even at half the size of K cups.

[Edited on 5-21-2015 by David K]

capt. mike - 5-21-2015 at 10:29 AM

Real Cowboys do not use cream in their coffee.

I have an auto drip pot AKA Mr. Coffee......but I am on amazon today finding a perculator type I can set on my gas burner.

tripledigitken - 5-21-2015 at 11:47 AM

Capt,

Consider pour over method. Low tech hardware involved producing excellent coffee.

Ken

My best to your esposa.

mtgoat666 - 5-21-2015 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The flavored creamers at restaurants use zillions of similar size plastic containers, where's the outrage?
edit: Come to think of it, the regular cream containers are also a huge 'waste' even at half the size of K cups.

those flavored creamers are full of trans fats and who-knows-what artificial flavoring chemicals. i don't use them. also, i avoid all the small plastic food packaging as much as possible, whether it be bottle water, individual-serving coffee creamers, etc. it's not just the waste of petroleum to make plastic, it's also all the phthalates and other chemicals that plastic releases into foods. don't keurigs flush hot water thru plastic containers? why would you drink hot water flushed thru plastic, all that does is raise the temp sufficiently to leach chemicals out of plastic. if you believe the industry styatements that chemicals released from plastics are not harmful when ingested, you are foolish

msteve1014 - 5-21-2015 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
Capt,

Consider pour over method. Low tech hardware involved producing excellent coffee.

Ken

My best to your esposa.

I still use the drip coffee pot my parents got as a wedding present. It was part of a Wearever kitchen set.

bajabuddha - 5-21-2015 at 03:40 PM

Real cowboys did use milk.... in a can. As a kid I've plinked many a rusty old Sego or Carnation can that had two knife-slits in the top with my .22 out in the West Deserts of Utah.

Come to think of it, they weren't even supposed to be drinking coffee! :biggrin: ;)

Bajahowodd - 5-21-2015 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Did you read how much he made before trashing the company that gave him millions? The flavored creamers at restaurants use zillions of similar size plastic containers, where's the outrage?

He also said that virtually any drip coffee maker will make a good cup of coffee.

Just remember that if you are using a Keurig, you are paying a premium just because you must buy those over-priced cups.

motoged - 5-21-2015 at 03:55 PM

Real coffee???

French press..... :light:

bigboy - 5-21-2015 at 04:02 PM

I still use my Corningware range top percolator with the corn flower pattern. I have the 4,6, and 9 cup percolarators. I love the smell of coffee in the morning!

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-21-2015 at 04:29 PM

When I go out into the Baja landscape with my nephew and his cowboys to round up cattle they love strong black coffee made with my stainless steel 12 cup percolator coffee pot with lots of sugar and Carnation Evaporated milk.

David K - 5-22-2015 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  
When I go out into the Baja landscape with my nephew and his cowboys to round up cattle they love strong black coffee made with my stainless steel 12 cup percolator coffee pot with lots of sugar and Carnation Evaporated milk.

So, not 'black' coffee, as we would call it? Sounds like how I drink the stuff, a little coffee with too much sugar and cream, or flavored creamer. Baileys works well, too!

Russ - 5-22-2015 at 09:30 AM

I have the Cabella's version
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9-Cup-Coffee-Percolator/dp/B00...

[rquote=.but I am on amazon today finding a perculator type I can set on my gas burner.
[/rquote]

hey Ken

capt. mike - 5-22-2015 at 09:43 AM

can you explain? never heard that before but am interested. What i was thinking of was like the old plug in elec perculator my parents had in the 60s but one I could use on the stove [gas] plus camping etc. So What is "pour over" style?!

Capt,

Ken

My best to your esposa.

tripledigitken - 5-22-2015 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by capt. mike  
can you explain? never heard that before but am interested. What i was thinking of was like the old plug in elec perculator my parents had in the 60s but one I could use on the stove [gas] plus camping etc. So What is "pour over" style?!

Capt,

Ken

My best to your esposa.

Mike,

I'm just heading out the door. When I get back this afternoon I'll post some photos of my setup.

Ken

"Pour Over" coffee

tripledigitken - 5-22-2015 at 01:00 PM

Mike,

You may recall back as early as the 80's we used to grind our beans with a beer can sized grinder, Krups was a popular make, and pour through a Melita filter holder into a carafe or individual cups. This is the same technology.

The coffee grind is important, it requires a very fine grind as the picture shows. On our grinder the settings go up to 60 for a course grind, Hario setting is 14. The grinder manual references settings for many types of brewing techniques. Burr grinders are preferred as they don't heat up the coffee grinds as much as other designs. The one I have currently is a budget priced model ($129), research what you want to spend on one. This one does an excellent job, we will see how long it lasts. I found this to be one of the highest rated below $200. Yes, you can pay big time for burr grinders!

The filter holder is a Hario model and is about $6 available online, the filters too. That is the only size they make and is good to 4 cups. We pour either into individual cups or a carafe.

You can search online for methods of the pour, but simply stated what I have found to work is, use water 30 seconds off boil, slowly wet the coffee grinds until they are completely covered with water, they will then expand, then begin to slowly pour the balance of your desired amount (1-4 cups). The whole pouring process should be about 4 minutes duration to get proper brewing and to maintain temperature.

Heating the water, your choice of methods. At home I use a tea kettle, on the road the cheap hot pot works great too. Our first cup of coffee in Baja, usually at Jardines, is made with the hot pot in our room.

Hope this helps. Honestly this produces VERY good coffee.

Ken

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-22-2015 at 01:12 PM

Oh, I thought you meant this.

mtgoat666 - 5-22-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by capt. mike  

Capt,

Ken

My best to your esposa.

here is a simple pour over method. you can buy chemex (glass pot) for cheap, it's been around since the dawn of time.

pour over is a manual labor version of an automatic drip machine like mr coffee.

the pour over method beats mr coffee, because you can obtain optimum brewing temp of 200 degree F (or somewhere in range of 195-205 degrees. sometimes the automatic machines emit water that is too hot or cold, and that ruins coffee (yes, 212 F degree water is TOO HOT!)

bajacamper - 5-22-2015 at 07:11 PM

Damn, I hate to agree with Moto but french press it is.

Bajaboy - 5-22-2015 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  

Yep, I have two...one is a travel cup french press which works great in Baja when traveling.

BajaNomad - 5-22-2015 at 09:51 PM

Thoughts on a stainless steel french press?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IHZBFYK/

bajacamper - 5-23-2015 at 08:44 AM

The one I use is glass but the advantage of stainless would be better if you plan on packing it around.

Pompano - 5-23-2015 at 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tip on the SS french press, Doug. Am ordering, because I've broke 2 glass ones so far...

Osprey - 5-23-2015 at 10:18 AM

A WHOLE GIANT CROWD OF GUICCI NOMAD COWBOYS HAVE APPEARED ON THE RANGE.

Somebody please start a new thread on fireside quiche. Puuuuleeees.

[Edited on 5-23-2015 by Osprey]

David K - 5-23-2015 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  

I was beginning to wonder! French press coffee, in Baja? :lol:

Osprey - 5-23-2015 at 10:54 AM

I don't go much to the board to find out about new fishing gear but there is a biiig area of stuff they might be able to help me with.

Where's the best foot massage on Rodeo Drive?

Can I get my new Porche washed, detailed for under $600 bucks? Will they pickup and deliver? Are they adequately insured? Thanks, thanks a lot, in advance. Thanks.

capt. mike - 5-23-2015 at 11:20 AM

wow thanks Ken!!

Osprey yur phunnie

capt. mike - 5-23-2015 at 11:23 AM

Cause for Mother's Day I made a killer quiche and it was my 1st one. now I am hooked. Making one manana!! haha!

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  

DENNIS - 5-23-2015 at 01:47 PM

[rquote=982916&tid=78892&author=David K

I was beginning to wonder! French press coffee, in Baja? :lol:[/rquote]

Fits in well in Sta. Rosalia.

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-23-2015 at 02:33 PM

EARLY MORNING NEAR THE ROCK CORRAL RANCHO EL CHINO

Pompano - 5-23-2015 at 04:21 PM

Why do Islamic Muslims drink instant coffee?

Because they don't like the French Press.

Bajahowodd - 5-23-2015 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
Why do Islamic Muslims drink instant coffee?

Because they don't like the French Press.

Islamic Muslims is like shrimp scampi or Mount Fugiyama.

They are the same words.:lol:

Osprey - 5-23-2015 at 04:55 PM

You mean like The La Brea Tar pits?

Pompano - 5-23-2015 at 05:22 PM

Second attempt...picky, picky

Why do 'Jihadist' Muslims only drink instant coffee?

'Cause they hate the French press ....but might like the French 'Roast'.

bajacamper - 5-23-2015 at 06:47 PM

DK. Roughing it in the boonies of Baja does not mean you totally give up all comforts. French press, si!

motoged - 5-24-2015 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  

I must say.....you could do a helluva lot worse....:lol:

Bajahowodd - 5-24-2015 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
Second attempt...picky, picky

Why do 'Jihadist' Muslims only drink instant coffee?

'Cause they hate the French press ....but might like the French 'Roast'.

Much better!:lol::lol:

carlosg - 5-25-2015 at 11:48 AM

Mike,

...The coffee grind is important, it requires a very fine grind as the picture shows. On our grinder the settings go up to 60 for a course grind, Hario setting is 14. The grinder manual references settings for many types of brewing techniques...

...Heating the water, your choice of methods. At home I use a tea kettle, on the road the cheap hot pot works great too. Our first cup of coffee in Baja, usually at Jardines, is made with the hot pot in our room...

Ken

WOW...

I'm having a some nice, hot, tasteful Memorial Day morning coffee, I never thought of the many delicious and exquisite ways and methods of preparing joe, when we go camping we take good ol' miss coleman with us...

_BN_20130927_173706.jpg - 243kB

...and I thought this was sophistication at the time I bought it...

Coleman-Coffee.GIF - 48kB

...however... any way you brew it, enjoy it!!!... café de olla por favor....:D