BajaNomad

A Windows Question

Bajahowodd - 5-19-2015 at 05:04 PM

I was wondering if any of you folks that are way more computer literate than I am can give me some advice.

About two months ago, I got a Windows update on my PC that would not configure.

Over and over, every day, the same thing happens, yet I have received dozens of updates that had no problem.

I have tried to manually do the update to no avail.

Maybe no biggie, but this windows update thing causes me to have to sit through almost 20 minutes of watching it before I get a good boot.

Any ideas as to how I can delete that update? Thanks.

woody with a view - 5-19-2015 at 05:28 PM

you can't once it's there. I have the same issue on my work 'puter. 1 that won't update!

Skipjack Joe - 5-19-2015 at 05:40 PM

Have you searched the Internet with the error message it throws? Search for update id and msg. Surely this has happened to others.

wilderone - 5-19-2015 at 06:15 PM

For starters go into Start, All Programs, Windows Updates
and see what's there. There are some "more information" links - maybe you can get a clue from them, or delete something, and then see what is available.

woody with a view - 5-19-2015 at 06:28 PM

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2979570)

Installation date: ‎4/‎15/‎2015 7:23 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800B0100

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2979570

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

LancairDriver - 5-19-2015 at 06:55 PM

Try this link, may help. Explains how to restore to an earlier version. You can go back to a date prior to your update but will loose any data entered from that date.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000589.htm

Bob and Susan - 5-19-2015 at 06:55 PM

you should tell us what version of windows you are using...
some are not supported anymore

JohnMcfrog - 5-19-2015 at 07:28 PM

Try a system recovery from a date prior to the update. This puts the windows registry and other system files back to a restore point that doesn't have them . I have used this many times to eliminate virus contamination etc. Good Luck!

woody with a view - 5-19-2015 at 07:29 PM

mine is a work 'puter so I don't care too much. its Vista.

gnukid - 5-19-2015 at 07:57 PM

"mine is a work 'puter so I don't care too much. its Vista."

are you joking? you need to start fresh with windows 7 or 8, os 10 is coming soon and will be good place to start too

Alm - 5-19-2015 at 09:55 PM

Vista is ancient, yes. My motto is still "it works, don't fix it". You upgrade OS and then suddenly discover that some programs don't work anymore, like browser plugin for video downloading in Win 8. So I'm trying not to upgrade for as long as possible.

In any event - try System Restore. Windows (usually) creates a restore point every time you do major update.

In Win 7 you do this from Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Recover System Settings -> Open System Restore -> Click on the malicious update and click Next.

This will restore the system to the point in time before this update.

monoloco - 5-19-2015 at 10:05 PM

Just get a Mac and never have any of those issues.

Katiejay99 - 5-20-2015 at 05:30 AM

Turn off automatic updates and then once a month or two months turn it on, download and install updates. That way you are in control not your computer.

rts551 - 5-20-2015 at 06:06 AM

What you have is a very old problem that occurred with Vista/Windows7 and the .net framework. There is a fix from Microsoft on the internet somewhere (or used to be). basically it involves going back to an earlier version of .net framework.

on edit here you go.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976982/

[Edited on 5-20-2015 by rts551]

mtgoat666 - 5-20-2015 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
mine is a work 'puter so I don't care too much. its Vista.

If it's a work computer, then tell your IT guy to fix it!

And if it's a home computer, don't buy PC, buy Apple, then you won't need the IT guy :light:

rts551 - 5-20-2015 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Katiejay99  
Turn off automatic updates and then once a month or two months turn it on, download and install updates. That way you are in control not your computer.

sounds good, but if there is a critical update because of a virus etc you may miss it.

Bajahowodd - 5-20-2015 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Katiejay99  

Gonna give that a try. Thanks to all. I am running Windows 7, by the way.

How do you shut down?

Whale-ista - 5-20-2015 at 06:04 PM

If you use "Alt+F4" you should get an option to shut down without doing updates.

If you go to the "Start" menu and choose shut down, the updates are automatic.

so- try Alt+F4?

Alm - 5-20-2015 at 11:38 PM

You can set updates to Automatic or Manual through control panel. I set it to "notify first", and then I choose what updates to download. Some I don't need - IE updates, for example, because I don't use IE.

This doesn't really make me in "control", because I simply don't know whether some update - that I apparently need - will work well or not.

If you shut down while it's in process of updating or configuring, all kinds of bad things can happen.