BajaNomad

LABOR DAY SAN FELIPE SOUTH

David K - 9-1-2003 at 08:45 PM

Hi Gang, I will be brief, because I am dead tired!

Left Oceanside 10pm Friday... both Chris and Sarah, and their dirt bike crammed in my Tacoma (with camping gear, of course).

Hotschott and Val invited us to camp with them on Shell Island (near Laguna Percebu).

I took a 1 hour nap at the Buckman Springs rest area on I-8, that helped... barely! Got to San Felipe about 4 am, topped the tank and jerry can and headed south. Beautiful night and morning.

On Shell Island and unloaded gear by 5 am, took a swim in the warm Sea of Cortez... then some sleep! Not much, as the sun was bright Saturday morning...

We cruised into San Felipe for some fish tacos at noon. It was pretty busy... Back to our beach camp for the remainder of our time there. The weather was great!!! Not nearly as hot as I have experienced in August, before.

The kids had a blast. The evenings (Sat and Sun) were great. Mars was so bright, it reflected on the sea! Hotscott and Val were great to camp with... thet treated us to camp dinner and bond fire.

Sunday, the kids went surf fishing right in front of our beach camp and landed 5 silver fish, I hadn't seen before. Hotschott called them Jack Smelt... and they were not good for eating... but fun for the kids. Last night was perfect, again.... UNTIL:
About 3 am (Mon) when the wind picked up... and got strong, very quickly! Lighting was flashing over the gulf... Sarah was scared... the tent and screen house blew away... we were sleeping in the screen house!

In about an hour, we had the truck loaded... not bad with flashlights and lanterns in the black night! The wind had gotten so strong, that is was blowing sand and sea spray (100 yards away)... We checked on Hotschott and Val, they were fine... North of San Felipe, we took a nap. We crossed at Mexicali west (original), no wait at 9:30 am Mon. and back home about 1:30 pm.

If the photos Chris took of the lightning come out, I will post.

Good night all!

Bob H - 9-2-2003 at 07:55 AM

David, another great adventure posted by you! You never know what to expect in Baja, and you related your recent trip perfectly!
Thanks,
Bob H

Shoulda waited for the wind to die!

BajaBronco - 9-2-2003 at 07:29 PM

It was AWESOME!!

If you would have hung out for about a half hour longer, the WIND DIED AROUND 4 or 5AM, and the black clouds that scared everyone off turned out to be nothing more than a few drops of rain around 6'ish AM.. By 7am, it was slightly overcast, but nice, warm, and sunny.

We met some really nice people down there, and had a really good time...

I actually saw the SUNRISE YESTERDAY!! Here you can see the clouds that wind blew in, but it was calm - First sunrise for me in a LONG TIME!

This is a fairly good shot of "PETES CAMP, showing the tent sites... There are some really nice beachfront houses down there..

I'm the DARK white guy in the back, and Marissa is the chick in the middle of the front row! (We brought some city folks with us, and the motorhome was our camp neighbors we made friends with)

[Edited on 08-25-1973 by BajaBronco]

hi

BajaBronco - 9-5-2003 at 06:34 PM

Night driving was scary, our very first visit to San Felipe when we got lost, lol.

By the way, the picture is linked from our website mcdigitaldesign :), so shouldn't take any space here :D