BajaNomad

"Aren't you afraid to go to Mexico???!!!"

bowser - 6-6-2015 at 12:40 PM

How do you answer that constant irritating question?

We just got back from 6 weeks in BOLA to our home in a small rural northern California community. While gone our house was burglarized!

From now on my answer will be "Hell yes, I'm afraid of what is going on in the States while I am in Mexico"

Ateo - 6-6-2015 at 12:46 PM

I just tell them to stop being such a wussy. Sorry about your house, hopefully everything is replaceable.

MMc - 6-6-2015 at 01:08 PM

I just say " if your not comfortable don't go". The second answer is "I am comfortable, see ya".
Sorry about your break-in, that just sucks.

chuckie - 6-6-2015 at 01:35 PM

I wouldn't say that I am afraid, but certainly more apprehensive that I have been in the past. After hundreds of trips over the past 40+ years, with no incidents, the last two were bad. I got a bunch ofstuff stolen on the way down, and on the way back was ripped off by one of the checkpoint guards. When he was looking in my truck he "found" a 9mm cartridge. I don't own one. Threatened with arrest etc I paid up and went on...YEAH yeah, all the smart guys will say you shoulda etc. I am 80 years of age, by myself...even one nite in a Mexican jail isn't an option....Will I go back? Dunno...Same trip I came through San Quintin immediately after the incidents....aint the same ....

Alm - 6-6-2015 at 01:54 PM

Not afraid to go. Afraid to live there. 3 hours away from "a" hospital- small clinic in GN that is probably good to fix a broken hand and not much more. No air strip in BOLA - there is one, but those "messiahs" like Med Jet, Sky Med etc won't land there.

Everything else is a trifle. Can eat fatty cr-ap from local grocery stores, limited fruits and vegetables, no mineral water, no good cheese or yogurt, no real pharmacy. I can live with that.

DENNIS - 6-6-2015 at 02:53 PM

I don't answer it....nor do I often hear it.

mtnpop - 6-6-2015 at 03:13 PM

You bet,,,, now there is a sniper pickin folks off in northern Colorado along I25..... Haven't had that happen in BAJA as of yet.... We made all kinds of national news this week,,,
many, many tornados, hail storms, deluges of rain, and the sniper.
One area in Denver had over 3 foot of hail piled up Thurs. had to bring out the plows....
Are we having fun yet??????
And we came home to miss the little ole hurricane season....

BajaRat - 6-6-2015 at 03:14 PM

The good news is six weeks in Baja. I'm sorry to hear someone violated your home :(

I do believe it has been getting easier to honestly say that as an American I am as in danger in Mexico as I am in the USA

David K - 6-6-2015 at 03:17 PM

"I feel safer camping in Baja than most anywhere in the U.S.", is exactly what I tell them.

bajabuddha - 6-6-2015 at 03:31 PM

I truly feel for you and being violated; it definitely takes the wind out of the 'happy-sails'. Insurance covers much, but not that much. That kind of sting lasts a long time, even though it's just 'stuff'.

Something for all of us to consider; if you're active on any of the 'social media sites' like Facebook, etc., and gush about your upcoming trip, cruise, or vacation it's an open invitation to the coyotes. Back when I lived in a Big City I would volunteer to house-sit for my clients for weddings or funerals for that very reason, just newspaper posts.

mtgoat666 - 6-6-2015 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"I feel safer camping in Baja than most anywhere in the U.S.", is exactly what I tell them.

Well, that is ridiculous. There are some safe camping areas in Mexico. There are many, many more in the USA.

In fact the system of national forests, national parks and state and local parks and BLM lands makes the USA a prime country for camping,... Really is a fabulous, and safe, variety of public lands for camping in the USA. Mexico does not come close.

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by mtgoat666]

Bajahowodd - 6-6-2015 at 04:58 PM

Been driving Baja for 35 years. Never felt uncomfortable. Even at the pinnacle of the drug wars in TJ. I was once pulled over by a cop in Cabo for driving the wrong way on a one way street before they even changed the signage. Anyone familiar with Cabo knows that they have been playing games about the direction traveled on the streets for a long time.

Udo - 6-6-2015 at 05:09 PM

I get asked that about twice a week.

basautter - 6-6-2015 at 05:18 PM

I get this question a lot. I reply that there are places I won't go in the US as well as Mexico. Your chances of getting murdered in DC is better that in the middle east. Go figure!

blackwolfmt - 6-6-2015 at 05:25 PM

Peeps are scared to leave there comfort zone which I think is good more quite time for me and my Amigos

bajabuddha - 6-6-2015 at 05:26 PM

Difference is, in the U.S. of A. i'm insured by Smith and Wesson.

I quit beach camping because I got tired of looking over my shoulder. It was cool when I was still a semi-young Warrior; now it's just friggin' OLD.

NOTE: camping is camping, living in a house is a little different. Crime is crime, and that's a moot point. Read the papers (or don't, I don't.....) I got tired of the coyotes creepin'. Here, when I go to the woods, an Enfield 30.06 can make one hell of a difference in one's intentions on bettering THEIR lifestyle.

SFandH - 6-6-2015 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Been driving Baja for 35 years. Never felt uncomfortable. Even at the pinnacle of the drug wars in TJ.

Unfortunately the TJ drug wars are heating up again.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/23/tijuana-violence-...

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by SFandH]

BajaRat - 6-6-2015 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Well, that is ridiculous. There are some safe camping areas in Mexico. There are many, many more in the USA.

David, we don't agree on a lot, but I'm with you on that feeling.
My Family and I have been camping in Arizona on days off this spring for over a month and I'm happy to report that things are as dangerous as ever. With an assortment of wack jobs, drunks, psycos, control freaks, bigots and wanna be cage fighters I longed for the desolation of Baja's back country. There were nice folks too but the previous list of Americas finest are more noticeable.
I guess that's the price you pay when you wanna go boating and fishing on some of the more developed lakes.

DanO - 6-6-2015 at 06:53 PM

I had an experience similar to that of the OP. Went down for a week during the summer, came back late at night and and my house NOB had been burglarized (which I learned after stepping in a pile of dog poop some a-hole had let his dog leave in my front yard - Welcome Home!). The place was completely tossed. Turns out it was a group of teenagers from the neighborhood who monitored houses when they saw people packing luggage into cars. If there was no activity at the house for another day, they hit it. Kids who went to school with my kids. I get that Mexico question all the time and tell that story and it pretty much ends the interview.

MMc - 6-6-2015 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  

David, we don't agree on a lot, but I'm with you on that feeling.
My Family and I have been camping in Arizona on days off this spring for over a month and I'm happy to report that things are as dangerous as ever. With an assortment of wack jobs, drunks, psycos, control freaks, bigots and wanna be cage fighters I longed for the desolation of Baja's back country. There were nice folks too but the previous list of Americas finest are more noticeable.
I guess that's the price you pay when you wanna go boating and fishing on some of the more developed lakes.

That is why some of us try to get a few places on the down low. We do get a house sitter when we go away for very long.

David K - 6-6-2015 at 07:05 PM

In fact the system of national forests, national parks and state and local parks and BLM lands makes the USA a prime country for camping,... Really is a fabulous, and safe, variety of public lands for camping in the USA. Mexico does not come close.

A feeling is 'ridiculous'? I thought it was a personal emotion. I thought you did everything based on emotion and not facts?

Please, keep camping in the USA... that increases my feelings about camping all the more. :light::O

treuboff - 6-6-2015 at 07:13 PM

Let's see Ah Ha Baja Nomad. Is there an American Nomad site?

Alm - 6-6-2015 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by treuboff  
Let's see Ah Ha Baja Nomad. Is there an American Nomad site?

It's called Quartzite AZ. And some other holes in the middle of nowhere, with low prices for camping/leasing. Wherever it's cheap (and not too ugly in terms of weather and services), people are going for winter. Baja is better only because there is more undeveloped (or not too heavily developed) waterfront space.

CortezBlue - 6-6-2015 at 10:31 PM

there are 2 kinds of folks, ones who ask when can we go with you to Mexico

And

The other, "Aren't you afraid to go to Mexico?"

My response has been simple

"well we've been shot at 3 times and they all missed, so I think it is pretty safe!"

Works evey time

BajaDanD - 6-6-2015 at 11:24 PM

My friends that ask that don't even know where Baja is and think all of Mexico is by Rocky point. They don't even know that California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas all share borders with Mexico. I stopped trying to give them Geography lessons a long time ago.
As for camping in the USA vs Mexico there are good places and bad in both

wilderone - 6-7-2015 at 06:57 AM

The people who ask won't go anywhere in Mexico at all, most don't camp at all, most rarely travel. In short, they have little knowledge and experience in being prepared for a trip. I just say "no, why should I be?" Then they ask, "You go by yourself?" I really tired of that one - kind of insulting - do they think I'm incompetent?
As for camping in US parks and campgrounds - apples and oranges. Have you ever camped at Yosemite Valley? I was astounded when we drove in to find our campsite - like camping at a Boy Scout jamboree, or Walmart parking lot. Which is why I still backpack and camp in isolated places - especially in Baja CA. My only fear is that my car will break down. I wish I could afford a newer car.

Pescador - 6-7-2015 at 07:46 AM

You never cease to amaze me. I guess you are so insulated in academic bliss that you fail to see what is going on around you. Anza Borrego has signs all over the place that it is unsafe due to smugglers and drug cartels operating in the area. Many state and federal lands have had shootings by people growing pot in the forest lands, both state and federal. So here's hoping you get a chance to spend many happy hours in your favorite camping spot but you may want to keep an eye open.

bajatrailrider - 6-7-2015 at 08:12 AM

Would not have moved,here if I was worried. Funny thing is when my Mexican Vesino.Watches CN news on my TV. He says Wow USA is a dangerous place to visit.

bledito - 6-7-2015 at 08:46 AM

not afraid to visit baja sur at all. The first time there rented a car and traveled all over, to todos, la paz, and all points between. Never felt unsafe even when lost in the barrios. The roads can be a bit scary, one laners in the mountains with blind curves. A bit nervos one time around ribera when we went down the wrong road and at the end found a ranch to ask where we were and a guy, a gringo, came around with a hunting bow arrow strung. more worried about having to pay a mordida to a cop. or get ripped off when leaving the car places. More afraid of breaking down in a isolated area, as we like to travel the unbeaten paths and isolated beaches. most people have no clue as they have never gone there. Most experiance the resorts and never venture any further. they miss out on everything baja. a resort is a resort, a pool and trucked in trees could be anywhere in the world you wouldn,t know the difference if you never left it. I like adventure and resorting is not an adventure. I have never been hassled other than the beach vendors if I am in cabo. I felt fearful when I was in the bahamas and tried to do some venturing around. mexico not at all, only a feeling of wow this is awesome.

VegasNick - 6-7-2015 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  

You never cease to amaze me. I guess you are so insulated in academic bliss that you fail to see what is going on around you. Anza Borrego has signs all over the place that it is unsafe due to smugglers and drug cartels operating in the area. Many state and federal lands have had shootings by people growing pot in the forest lands, both state and federal. So here's hoping you get a chance to spend many happy hours in your favorite camping spot but you may want to keep an eye open.

We camp all over the western US and the best camping that I found by far is some of the abandoned mining camps and ghost towns. There are places in the US that we have camped where I slept with my shotgun along my side. (because of having people show up while we were there that I knew would be trouble) The way I see it, Baja would ne no different that the US. You wouldn't head off to Compton and camp in a back alley would you? :tumble:

bowser - 6-7-2015 at 09:44 AM

Once when I when down by myself people kept asking me if I had been worried. I said no - but it was very difficult to drive and reload without my wife to help.

David K - 6-7-2015 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by VegasNick  

We camp all over the western US and the best camping that I found by far is some of the abandoned mining camps and ghost towns. There are places in the US that we have camped where I slept with my shotgun along my side. (because of having people show up while we were there that I knew would be trouble) The way I see it, Baja would ne no different that the US. You wouldn't head off to Compton and camp in a back alley would you? :tumble:

That's my point about Baja being safer. You were comfortable with a gun in the USA, and in Baja, I have never needed a gun to be comfortable.

As for the Compton comment, true... I tell folks I don't camp in cities, in either country. I go camping to get away from cities and connect with Nature. Nothing beats being outdoors, under the stars on the beach or in the desert without noise!

mtgoat666 - 6-7-2015 at 10:14 AM

Academic? LOL! Me thinks you should believe less of what you read

I am amused that you tout Mexico as a safe place while simultaneously selling evacuation insurance, ain't that a flocking hoot?

Anyhow, all I said is that USA has a wider variety and greater quantity of safe camping than Mexico... Heck, I don't even see much public land in Mexico, Mexico seems to be mostly private lands relative to abundance of public lands in USA.

Anza borrego state park is a great park with great camping both remote and in formal campgrounds, and seems plenty safe to me. Don't know where you are seeing danger "signs all over"

Look at the cal and nev public lands, not much in Mexico can compete: ABDSP, Joshua trees, Kings, high sierras, Yosemite, tuolumne, Death Valley, Lagunas, etc. (too many to list, the variety and amount of public lands in cal and nev alone is astounding!)

David K - 6-7-2015 at 10:17 AM

People get evacuation insurance for HEALTH emergencies, not political or criminal reasons. :rolleyes:

Paulina - 6-7-2015 at 10:21 AM

I am asked this question a lot too. My answer is, "There are places in L.A., Santa Maria, Fresno, etc. that I would not want to visit, but that doesn't make the entire state of California a dangerous place to be. Baja is the same for me."
Granted, I haven't been involved in a serious auto accident or experienced a medical emergency in Baja, knock on wood, so there is that aspect that always lurks in the back of my mind.
I would hope that I've made good connections down there and have resources that I could call upon if need be.
I've been vigilant in the years I've been traveling in Baja, and also down right lucky too.
What is that saying about living on the edge?

P>*)))>{

grace59 - 6-7-2015 at 10:30 AM

I still get asked that on occasion...not by friends(they know the answer), but by new people who find out we have a home there. I tell them that no matter where I go I am "careful, not fearful". I have stayed in my home there alone when my husband has had to work. I actually feel safer there alone then when I am home here in WA alone. AND I have the same worries. Since I am a teacher I am a "reverse" snowbird and spend 6-7 weeks down in the summer. I always worry about someone breaking into our house here while we are gone. We were robbed at a former home here and it just stinks to know that someone has gone onto your property and taken things. Sorry about your break in. By the way, many of our friends who use to question us about being afraid have finally made the journey down with us and come back with a greater understanding of why we go there.

BornFisher - 6-7-2015 at 11:10 AM

here ya go----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1x_vAVCu0

Alm - 6-7-2015 at 01:45 PM

As usual at Nomads :), after a few first posts it's hard to tell what it is about, anymore. Or what it has to do with the OP post.

Their home in CA was broken into. From where I'm standing, this has nothing to do with the heading "Aren't you afraid to go", i.e. "go" to the US or Mexico. Theft isn't a robbery.

Gringo homes in BOLA (where they spent 6 weeks) are getting broken into every fr-king summer, when most homes are vacant. Not all of them, but every summer. House-sitting is a steady business there. And it would've been same steady business in the US if our labor rates were lower and household goods - more expensive. As it is now, (a mixed and highly questionable blessing from China), goods are cheap, anybody can afford a new TV or toaster. Many homes NOB don't use house-sitter simply because alarm systems work well (and again, are affordable). Expensive homes in my area - where crime rate is relatively low - still hire 24-hour live security guard for when they are on vacation.

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by Alm]

4Cata - 6-7-2015 at 03:33 PM

Loved the video, BornFisher. Very familiar.

Bajahowodd - 6-7-2015 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
not afraid to visit baja sur at all. The first time there rented a car and traveled all over, to todos, la paz, and all points between. Never felt unsafe even when lost in the barrios. The roads can be a bit scary, one laners in the mountains with blind curves. A bit nervos one time around ribera when we went down the wrong road and at the end found a ranch to ask where we were and a guy, a gringo, came around with a hunting bow arrow strung. more worried about having to pay a mordida to a cop. or get ripped off when leaving the car places. More afraid of breaking down in a isolated area, as we like to travel the unbeaten paths and isolated beaches. most people have no clue as they have never gone there. Most experiance the resorts and never venture any further. they miss out on everything baja. a resort is a resort, a pool and trucked in trees could be anywhere in the world you wouldn,t know the difference if you never left it. I like adventure and resorting is not an adventure. I have never been hassled other than the beach vendors if I am in cabo. I felt fearful when I was in the bahamas and tried to do some venturing around. mexico not at all, only a feeling of wow this is awesome.

The main reason that there has not been a great deal of violence in Baja Sur is that several of the cartel drug lords were hiding out there in the lap of luxury. The last thing they wanted to happen is gang violence anywhere near them.

mooose29 - 6-7-2015 at 03:51 PM

I state that I am not afraid and I have no problem traveling down there in a safe way with my family and we have been for over 30 years. Safe meaning we are smart about our surroundings and when/where we travel. I never want to "talk" someone into going to MX as everyone needs to make the decision that they are comfortable with.

BajaRat - 6-7-2015 at 04:49 PM

Fear can prevent you from dying, but it can also prevent you from living.
A healthy dose can facilitate both :cool:

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by BajaRat]

BooJumMan - 6-7-2015 at 05:15 PM

I'm selfish and prefer to tell people that it is dangerous and not to visit. (Mainly just to other surfers).

SFandH - 6-7-2015 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
I'm selfish and prefer to tell people that it is dangerous and not to visit. (Mainly just to other surfers).

Surfers are like that and it's a good gambit. 100% logical. I'm sure that over the past 5 years I've stayed at baja beaches in my RV that would have been much more crowded if not for the Mexican fear factor. It doesn't seem to bother the nice folks from BC tho.

norte - 6-8-2015 at 10:54 AM

hahahahahaha. Never a problem in Mexico..... Hahhahhhahhahaha. come on down..get ripped off, maybe by an ejido house or two...how about put a deposit down on a house and never see the person again...stand in the street while the Cartels battele it ut with AK47's (oh ya, you see that in the US of A)... come on down...hahahahahahaha.

ehall - 6-8-2015 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Would not have moved,here if I was worried. Funny thing is when my Mexican Vesino.Watches CN news on my TV. He says Wow USA is a dangerous place to visit.

That is exactly what Jack the hotel owner in san Vicente asked me. How can you live there because it looks so dangerous.

Von - 6-8-2015 at 02:39 PM

I don't recommend going to México extremely dangerous all the time...lol~~~:P