BajaNomad

Gonzaga to La Chapalla

brewin - 6-18-2015 at 09:27 AM

Anyone taken the pass in the last week post-Blanca ? Just trying to get a sense for road conditions before our next trip ...

David K - 6-18-2015 at 05:35 PM

Until you hear different...

Bahía San Luis Gonzaga to Laguna Chapala

From the reports posted here the past month+:

35 miles (from Gonzaga/Alfonisina's Pemex station)
12+ miles newly paved
~23 miles graded dirt, 2WD OK, rough surface (Heavy RVs, trailers not recommended, otherwise go very slow)

Coco's Corner is 22 miles from Gonzaga and 13 miles from Hwy. 1 at Laguna Chapala: Rest stop, cold beer, friendly conversations with a Baja living legend!

larryC - 6-18-2015 at 06:52 PM

Took the road 2 weeks ago and did the 23 miles in an hour and twenty minutes. Took it easy so as not to break my stuff.

El Jefe - 7-2-2015 at 07:58 AM

Drove this section north bound yesterday. The 23 miles of dirt is not in very good shape. It has been a while since the grader was used. Lots of small vados where the sitting water caused holes to develop. Not awful, but it does slow you down. Surface is rocky so have good tires. I drove it in my heavily loaded Honda Pilot and it took an hour to go the 23 miles.

That said, this is my new route. It is only 26 miles further to go this way via Hwy 2 and the Tecate crossing to Carlsbad CA vs. the drive down through San Ysidro and along the west side through Ensenada. And no traffic. At least for now until they get the paving done. Even still it will not be anything like getting through San Quintin area and Ensenada.

One note of interest. Been a long time since I was over on that side. Man, those vados on the old section of road near Puertocitos are world class! They really sneak up on you. Just when you think you can go 70 again, BAM!

AKgringo - 7-2-2015 at 08:07 AM

Actually, if you covered the 23 miles in an hour, you were making better time than I did last November! I was driving a small SUV, and pulling a rugged but lightly loaded utility trailer, and I rarely got much over 20 mph.

El Jefe - 7-2-2015 at 08:47 AM

Yes, pulling a trailer over that section would be a pain. There were two broken semi trucks that I passed. I'm kind of used to dirt roads since I have lived 12 miles out a bad one for 10 years. But my road is not as rocky. Some times you can get up to 30. Whoo hoo!

Sometimes you can get up to 30!

AKgringo - 7-2-2015 at 09:27 AM

Or as the snail riding on the tortoise's back said...."Wheee!"

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by AKgringo]