BajaNomad

Crackdown on SD plates?

Alan - 6-28-2015 at 06:54 AM

Just heard from a friend in La Paz that Mexico is going to start cracking down on South Dakota plates and require that your DL must match the plate. Not sure why Mexico is interested in enforcing US laws. Just wondering if anyone else has any more info on this.

AKgringo - 6-28-2015 at 08:14 AM

I doubt that Mexico or the Policia Federale are concerned about the plates matching the drivers liscence. Given the experiences I have had in La Paz, it sounds like local police trying to add a new twist on extortion.

If anybody knows differently, please speak up! I have residences in AK (my official residence) and in CA. I have vehicles with AK plates in CA, and drive one with CA plates to Mexico. So far it has not been a problem in either the US or Mexico.

Edit; My DL is AK, and all vehicles are registered to me with an address in the state of the plates on it.

[Edited on 6-28-2015 by AKgringo]

chuckie - 6-28-2015 at 08:19 AM

I have been stopped in Kalifornia and Colorado no problem....The address on my SD registration matches my Colorado DL....The speeding tickets were a different issue....

Crackdown

bajaguy - 6-28-2015 at 08:23 AM

Maybe they should be cracking down on all of the cars without plates or expired US plates

chuckie - 6-28-2015 at 08:32 AM

I should have mentioned I also was stopped in Tecate...But he was only interested in the Mordida....which he didn't get

DENNIS - 6-28-2015 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Maybe they should be cracking down on all of the cars without plates or expired US plates

Like eradicating ants at a picnic.

Osprey - 6-28-2015 at 08:49 AM

One year the outgoing governor in La Paz took all the Sur Mexican license plate money when he left. They usually buy the plates from China. What a mess for 2 years >> paper plates after a few months. If you had metal plates, they would pull you over. So it was a strange time when you get nailed for having metal plates. I think the money was about 300K dollars.

rts551 - 6-28-2015 at 09:06 AM

I lot about what has been and nothing about a crack down. That being said I have heard rumors, only rumors, that there will be crackdown on Mexican citizens (and possibly perm residents) with Mexican DL driving US plated cars. Already under way in Tijuana.

DENNIS - 6-28-2015 at 09:17 AM

Law enforcement today will be but a memory tomorrow....perhaps one of the benefits of the mordida system. If fine pesos reached the government, they would see the advantage of law enforcement and call for more.

License plates in La paz

Warf - 6-28-2015 at 09:53 AM

Twice last week we saw La Paz Municipal Police removing license plates from cars. One was from a parked car in a parking lot, the other was pulled over by police on a city street. I think that they are on a campaign to get all vehicles properly licensed...it's probably all about city revenues?

chuckie - 6-28-2015 at 09:57 AM

What if it were actually about law enforcement!!!!????

Alan - 6-30-2015 at 10:32 AM

Found this
http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/06/driving-legally-in-me...

Perhaps this is what was happening and he assumed it was only related to SD plates

Alm - 6-30-2015 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Found this
http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/06/driving-legally-in-me...

Perhaps this is what was happening and he assumed it was only related to SD plates

I wonder how much of this is correct, or relates to Baja. For example:

1) "Remember that proof of liability insurance continues to be required to drive on Mexican Federal Highways."

Must be one of those things that are "demanded" by police rather than "required under the law".

2) "Two civil associations provide a “plate”, sticker and ID documents in return to a certain payment, said plate and sticker are not recognized as legal by Federal highway patrol or municipal police"

AFAIK, plates by ONAPAFFA (and the other organization) are not "loved" by police, but recognized. Wouldn't make sense issuing it, otherwise.

Udo - 6-30-2015 at 02:24 PM

Plus the vehicles that have NO plates on them.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

bledito - 6-30-2015 at 03:04 PM

plus all the quads with no plates used like cars to get around town

rts551 - 6-30-2015 at 04:04 PM

periodically there is a crackdown. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2014/aug/04/stringers-tij...

Alm - 7-1-2015 at 11:57 AM

Sandiegoreader is to be taken with a good grain of salt. Too much of half-baked journalism. Truth and relevant facts are entwined with misleading and irrelevant info.

Like this:
Article 3.4.7 of Mexican border law states that “as long as vehicles are owned by residents from a foreign country, they can be driven around in national territory limited to 20 kilometers from the border and the border region, as long as they have all the proper documentation.”

Meaning - no driving US/CAN plated car South of Rosarito/Maneadero. No soup for you! :)

Lee - 7-1-2015 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Sandiegoreader is to be taken with a good grain of salt. Too much of half-baked journalism. Truth and relevant facts are entwined with misleading and irrelevant info.

Yeah a grain of salt with some tequila. Isn't the article from the Yucatan? Isn't TJ TJ? It's all a ruse to make it look like cops are working. In reality, cops are bored and looking for something to do. When cops in la paz need money, they start targeting tourists. Same in CC. Nothing new happening and this stuff keeps coming around.

MitchMan - 7-1-2015 at 03:56 PM

With regard to US citizens that are not residents of South Dakota that also have Residente Permanente status in the Baja Peninsula and are driving their South Dakota registered vehicle in, say, La Paz and have no Mexican drivers license, well, there is a strong argument that Mexico could certainly consider such practice as not actually allowed pursuant to current Mexican law.

The problem was created when Mexican immigration started changing residency statuses from the FM3 to the RP. The reason that it created a problem is because the Mexican immigration agency did those residency changes without first coordinating with the Aduana. The current legal references in the law regarding Aduana regulations are still using old immigration status terminology (i.e., FM2 and FM3 and not the current Residente Permanente). Since the definitions of FM2 and FM3 are not the exact same as "Residente Permanente", there is now ambiguity, not clear cut do's and don'ts.

In my research on this matter when the issue first surfaced (i.e., when FM2 and FM3 were abandoned and Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente became the law of the land), it is my conclusion that the Mexican government can indeed require RPs to nationalize their SD plated US registered vehicle while driving it in Baja. That is another way of saying that I believe that the Mexican government can now (and has always had the ability to) stop you and prohibit you from driving your SD registered vehicle if you are an RP.

Now, that's theory, and here is "on the ground" tangible practical and relevant reality. Certainly, up to now, there has been virtually no such practice of enforcement in the Baja. We have heard of such enforcement in Mainland Mexico. We have also heard of a few "close calls" reported having occurred in Baja, but not ever corroborated. There have been no verifiable reports of any such enforcement...in the Baja. I haven't read anything in this forum by any RP of first hand experience of being held accountable for driving a SD licensed vehicle in the Baja by local or federal police. Certainly there has been no credible visibility of any such enforcement.

It is sort of like hearing there is an epidemic of a disease that has no symptoms and no reported cases.

I believe that the reason for such lack of enforcement is due to the fact that the entire Baja is "free zone" territory. An entirely different situation from what exists in Mainland Mexico. I believe that government in Baja sees such enforcement as probably an administrative nightmare, not to mention trying to anticipate political and economic negative repercussions.

But, and this is a big but, I will keep my ear to the ground on this one. Anything can change at any time in Baja. I believe that the Mexican government has had the legal ability all along to enforce the prohibition of a US Citizen, who is also an RP, from driving his SD plated US vehicle in the Baja. They just haven't decided to enforce the prohibition...yet.

Alm - 7-1-2015 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
I believe that the Mexican government can now (and has always had the ability to) stop you and prohibit you from driving your SD registered vehicle if you are an RP.

This has been my understanding too. This pertains to any foreign plates, not only SD. RP has to import his car, period. Those driving with SD plates without SD driver's license are just breaking more than one law. Enforcement seems to be sporadic - they do it when they feel like.

MitchMan - 7-1-2015 at 06:20 PM

Here's the question, Alm. In your post, you stated that, "Enforcement seems to be sporadic." Do you have specific knowledge of such enforcement? Details, please, and remember, we are talking about the entirety of the Baja, not mainland Mexico.

Thank you in advance.

Wally - 7-1-2015 at 09:42 PM

With regard to US citizens that are not residents of South Dakota that also have Residente Permanente status in the Baja Peninsula and are driving their South Dakota registered vehicle in, say, La Paz and have no Mexican drivers license, well, there is a strong argument that Mexico could certainly consider such practice as not actually allowed pursuant to current Mexican law.

Not nearly that complicated:

With an FM2 or FM3 you were allowed to drive a non-Mexican plated vehicle under a Temporary Import Permit. If you become a permanent resident you can no longer do that.

I'd guess it's a pretty good bet that sometime in the near future you'll hear the first story of a RP losing their US/CAN plated car because of this.

MitchMan - 7-2-2015 at 06:59 AM

Wally, am I correct in interpreting your post as implying that a Residente Permanente CAN currently get a Temporary Import Permit for a SD plated vehicle? And, do you have first hand knowledge of this?

gnukid - 7-2-2015 at 07:41 AM

There are a number of importers that are placing leading ads promoting the idea that you should import your car due to impending changes for example on bajainsider, yet, there have been no changes for Baja for PR to TR in regards to foreign plates of legal vehicles. People repeat the content of the promotions that look like news stories.

In Baja, if your vehicle has legal up to date plates, registration sticker and insurance and your license is up to date you are legal with tourist permit, TR or PR visa.

A TIP is required for foreign vehicles on the mainland outside the free zone at this time.

Alan - 7-2-2015 at 08:33 AM

Like so many other posts on this forum, this one too has gone so far off the reservation as to be unrecognizable.

Permanent Residency wasn't part of the equation as originally stated. However the lack of direct responses actually answered my question.

"Does your driver license have to be issued by the same state as your vehicle license?" and "is there a current inspection program to enforce this position?"

With the abundance of SD plates running around La Paz by non-SD residents it would have surfaced on many other boards by now if this was in fact a new issue. With the lack of direct responses it is obvious to me that my source was mistaken.

maryellen50 - 7-2-2015 at 09:52 AM

I live in the Punta Banda/Ensenada area and there are many SD plates here (including mine) and not heard anyone who has had a problem with this. Perhaps this is an isolated event specific to Tecate.

TedZark - 7-2-2015 at 03:56 PM

Two years in Baja with SD plates. Never a problem. Never even stopped. Probably much ado about nothing. Worry mongers rule the day I guess.

Lets put an end to this speculaton

Howard - 7-2-2015 at 04:09 PM

Who knows what tomorrow brings but in the present and in the past, does anyone have first hand experience in being pulled over in Baja and being hassled with having a foreign plated car and a Residente Permanente?

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 04:20 PM

I think (operative word) the answer to that is NO.....lots of speculation always NEVER any real fact with names dates etc.....

dtbushpilot - 7-2-2015 at 08:29 PM

Like so many other posts on this forum, this one too has gone so far off the reservation as to be unrecognizable.

Permanent Residency wasn't part of the equation as originally stated. However the lack of direct responses actually answered my question.

"Does your driver license have to be issued by the same state as your vehicle license?" and "is there a current inspection program to enforce this position?"

With the abundance of SD plates running around La Paz by non-SD residents it would have surfaced on many other boards by now if this was in fact a new issue. With the lack of direct responses it is obvious to me that my source was mistaken.

What did you expect from Nomads Alan?

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by dtbushpilot]

J.P. - 7-2-2015 at 08:41 PM

Just heard from a friend in La Paz that Mexico is going to start cracking down on South Dakota plates and require that your DL must match the plate. Not sure why Mexico is interested in enforcing US laws. Just wondering if anyone else has any more info on this.

I have worked and lived in many states Most specify plates and DL match. Why would you expect Mexico to be Different. If it worries you that much get legal why create stress for yourself.

dtbushpilot - 7-2-2015 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  

I have worked and lived in many states Most specify plates and DL match. Why would you expect Mexico to be Different. If it worries you that much get legal why create stress for yourself.

X2...

AKgringo - 7-2-2015 at 09:16 PM

I have vehicles registered in Alaska and California......that is not only legal, it is required based on where they are primarily garaged.

What is illegal, is to have a drivers licence in both states!

MitchMan - 7-3-2015 at 08:23 AM

Over 1700 views and 32 posts to this thread and not a single post or report with first hand information of any actual instances of enforcement by any state, local, or federal Mexican police prohibiting or interdicting any US citizen who is a Residente Permanente who has a current valid USA state drivers license from driving his current and properly insured USA plated and registered vehicle in the Baja.

Lee - 7-3-2015 at 08:33 AM

It's a bit more complicated than that for some folks. Just the way it is with some US laws.

Like Mitchman said, lots of posts, even more views, and no first hand information on anything happening in Baja. Think I'll relax and enjoy the ride. Thanks.

Howard - 7-3-2015 at 09:12 AM

That's my point and as Willie said "Much ado about nothing."
At least for now.

Now, on a similar subject, does anyone have FIRST HAND knowledge about :

Being able to take the ferry from La Paz to the mainland with a current USA plated car and a Residente Permanente? Can it be done?

Wally - 7-3-2015 at 09:35 AM

Wally, am I correct in interpreting your post as implying that a Residente Permanente CAN currently get a Temporary Import Permit for a SD plated vehicle? And, do you have first hand knowledge of this?

No, the exact opposite. Permanent residents can not have a temporary import permit attached the their visa for a foreign plated vehicle. Historically, they were automatic with FMM, FM3 and FM2 visas and continue with whatever they call those visas now.

I've never heard of someone loosing their foreign plated car as a resident. obviously it seems like they aren't enforcing it or someone would have heard about it. The reality is this is all pretty new stuff. Who knows how it plays out. It'll be a reall chitstorm if it ever does happen.

Alan - 7-3-2015 at 11:31 AM

I tried to jump through CA's hoops as long as I could. I purchased a Jeep Wrangler, had it smog checked and insured by a CA company then also purchased a MX annual insurance policy and towed it down to La Paz. Two years later when the emissions test was due again I went to the DMV to renew my registration. I explained the vehicle was in La Paz and requested an exemption for the emissions test as it was out of the country. They advised me that vehicles in MX are not exempt. I had a copy of the Vehicle Code which clearly stated that only the cities of Tijuana, Ensenada and Tecate were not exempt as they were close enough to the border that it could reasonably be expected that these vehicles would return to CA fairly frequently and could easily obtain an emissions test. I showed my electric bill from La Paz and she gave me my tags.

Because I was now operating on an exemption I was required to to renew the exemption every year. The next year when I went back to the DMV I went through the whole process once again and she said "Oh, I don't know. I'll give you your tags and let Sacramento figure it out".

The final year I went to the DMV I went through the whole process again and the clerk said "I don't care what the Vehicle Code says, I'm not giving you tags!" I walked out disgusted and went home and called SD who I found to be polite, professional and helpful.

I agree that most states require DL and plates to match. Thankfully SD is not one of those states so it probably isn't an issue for me since the address on my SD registration matches the address on my DL. My plates are perfectly legal in SD.

Howard - 7-3-2015 at 01:40 PM

Alan, it's just another case of California shooting themselves in the foot. They never stop amazing me with the bureaucratic BS of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing. I use to laugh about breaking the state in 2 or 3 different states but not so sure it is a bad idea anymore. Wait a minute, that would bring even more politicians and decision makers into the picture. Never mind the thought!

I guess got off subject, sorry.

J.P. - 7-3-2015 at 01:56 PM

:lol::lol:

I tried to jump through CA's hoops as long as I could. I purchased a Jeep Wrangler, had it smog checked and insured by a CA company then also purchased a MX annual insurance policy and towed it down to La Paz. Two years later when the emissions test was due again I went to the DMV to renew my registration. I explained the vehicle was in La Paz and requested an exemption for the emissions test as it was out of the country. They advised me that vehicles in MX are not exempt. I had a copy of the Vehicle Code which clearly stated that only the cities of Tijuana, Ensenada and Tecate were not exempt as they were close enough to the border that it could reasonably be expected that these vehicles would return to CA fairly frequently and could easily obtain an emissions test. I showed my electric bill from La Paz and she gave me my tags.

Because I was now operating on an exemption I was required to to renew the exemption every year. The next year when I went back to the DMV I went through the whole process once again and she said "Oh, I don't know. I'll give you your tags and let Sacramento figure it out".

The final year I went to the DMV I went through the whole process again and the clerk said "I don't care what the Vehicle Code says, I'm not giving you tags!" I walked out disgusted and went home and called SD who I found to be polite, professional and helpful.

I agree that most states require DL and plates to match. Thankfully SD is not one of those states so it probably isn't an issue for me since the address on my SD registration matches the address on my DL. My plates are perfectly legal in SD.

I live in Ensenada and went through that same dance with Ca. DMV I had copy's of law in hand and was told it couldn't be done For the last 6 years my renewal arrives by snail mail about the time its due. We figured that obstacle out and just renew on line before its due. We did over come the DMV

chuckie - 7-3-2015 at 02:06 PM

I got my notice for renewal from SD on Monday.....renewed online today, got a nice email from the Clay County treasurer confirming it and asking about our wheat crop this year..Real people....FYI: Wheat crop is good,:D be done cutting by Monday.....

Fernweh - 7-3-2015 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I got my notice for renewal from SD on Monday.....renewed online today, got a nice email from the Clay County treasurer confirming it and asking about our wheat crop this year..Real people....FYI: Wheat crop is good,:D be done cutting by Monday.....

Must have been Rhonda, real nice gal!

Lee - 7-3-2015 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  

Must have been Rhonda, real nice gal!

x2

laventana - 7-3-2015 at 11:37 PM

I have been kinda stopped at a checkpoint near lapaz for this issue, it is a full time checkpoint. and i go through it every 2 weeks and only one time in a year. This is a checkpoint that has military, federal and LaPaz police at it. I figure they do this to try to stop the cartel from having all the people in one spot on the payoff. One of the Federal police officers english was good and he actually requested my drivers license. Did give it to him and he said my Nevada drivers license was a problem with a Montana plate. He said he lived in the US and knew it was. I told him directly he was wrong it is legal, which it is. He let me pass after that. Haven't heard of anyone being extorted at this checkpoint and it is run 24/7/365 since hurricane Odile.. In the USA when I get pulled over I do need to give the explanation that the the vehicle is a majority in Mexico, and thus I can claim any state. Never been ticketed in the USA for this issue, and generally when up north I get California insurance with my Nevada drivers license and Montana plates. I just make sure I do not stay in California for 30 days straight can be an issue, specially if you work for the days..

Calfornia, "The Motherland"

captkw - 7-3-2015 at 11:41 PM

Your paper's Pleeez !!

This is directly from the Calif. DMV website

Howard - 7-4-2015 at 08:39 AM

Do I Need to Register My Vehicle?

A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

When Do I Have to Pay Fees to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

Registration fees for your nonresident vehicle must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies. For date fees due, residency, and exemption information, see the How To: Determine Residency/When Are Fees Dueon an Out-of-State Vehicles (HTVR 33) brochure available at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures /howto/htvr33.htm.

Alm - 7-4-2015 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

In Baja, if your vehicle has legal up to date plates, registration sticker and insurance and your license is up to date you are legal with tourist permit, TR or PR visa.

It's called "not enforced". Not the same as "legal".

On the mainland tourists are enforced automatically through the TIP procedure. RP are flagged at the border and asked to import, but there is no follow up, and there are only occasional checks on the roads. In Baja the don't care.

Insurance in Baja has no effect on your vehicle's legality, it's not mandatory here.

gnukid - 7-5-2015 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

It's called "not enforced". Not the same as "legal".

On the mainland tourists are enforced automatically through the TIP procedure. RP are flagged at the border and asked to import, but there is no follow up, and there are only occasional checks on the roads. In Baja the don't care.

Insurance in Baja has no effect on your vehicle's legality, it's not mandatory here.

The law is different for Baja "frontier" than for mainland Mexico. There is no restriction on people driving USA plated cars with RP. If and when the law changes formally you will know, you will given the option to return your vehicle to USA or import if required, or the law could become even more liberal to allow more transit across the border.

yellowklr - 7-6-2015 at 09:43 PM

How about if you live in Mexico get a Mexico DL and REG your car in MEX……….Really thats what we ask of people who move here why not do the same. This entire SD REG just seems like a way to cheat the system

Lee - 7-7-2015 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  
How about if you live in Mexico get a Mexico DL and REG your car in MEX……….Really thats what we ask of people who move here why not do the same. This entire SD REG just seems like a way to cheat the system

Please define ''live in Mexico?'' For the sake of discussion, and your comment, I'd define that as full time 12 months a year.

How about those part-timers -- who live there less than full time? Where do you draw the line?

I'm guessing SD registration has to do with short and long term plans in MX, and the rigid DMV laws in California, COlorado and other states. SD is a God-send for those snow-birds and part-timers who like traveling around.

No matter how long I live in Baja, I will never, ever have a checking account (or any kind of account where MX has control of my money), or a vehicle registered there.

chuckie - 7-7-2015 at 09:27 AM

AMEN To that! Never and Never!

motoged - 7-7-2015 at 12:25 PM

.... This entire SD REG just seems like a way to cheat the system

Yep, that's what it's about....:smug:

chuckie - 7-7-2015 at 01:35 PM

NaH! Cheating the system is paying with Canadian money....(eh)

yellowklr - 7-8-2015 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Please define ''live in Mexico?'' For the sake of discussion, and your comment, I'd define that as full time 12 months a year.

How about those part-timers -- who live there less than full time? Where do you draw the line?

I'm guessing SD registration has to do with short and long term plans in MX, and the rigid DMV laws in California, COlorado and other states. SD is a God-send for those snow-birds and part-timers who like traveling around.

No matter how long I live in Baja, I will never, ever have a checking account (or any kind of account where MX has control of my money), or a vehicle registered there.

WELL first tons of FULL timers have SD plates all over Baja….Second if you live "part time" in Baja then if you live the other "part time" in SD then I can see SD plates……I haven't met anyone yet in Baja that lives AT ALL in SD….Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by yellowklr]

MitchMan - 7-8-2015 at 07:14 AM

When California mandates that you have to get a smog check and buy auto insurance that covers you for driving on California streets while only having the vehicle in Baja all year round, I consider getting SD plates as avoiding being cheated by California.

Also, if you have a Baja home via a fideicomiso and want to keep that home for vacationing on an ongoing basis, but Mexico only gives you three choices as a vacationing property owner: 1)Residente Temporal status for only 4 years, 2)Residente Permanente where you are technically required to live in Baja and must be there for more than 6 months a year, 3)FMM status as a visitor only for 180 days and without the level of legal residency sufficient in Mexico to be able to defend your rights to your fideicomiso property or to actually leave any of your property behind in Mexico after the 180 days are up. I say those circumstances are rather unfair, not well thought out, and rather untenable, especially since the Mexican immigration did not consult other Mexican agencies governing property ownership to coordinate their most recent immigration status changes to make sure that the ramifications of those changes conformed to the processes, logic and purview of other existing statutes relating to the areas tended to by the other agencies.

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by MitchMan]

SFandH - 7-8-2015 at 07:16 AM

Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

I bet more people would comply if the importation process was made to be less onerous.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious, did it take more than one day while you waited in a border hotel to complete the process and how much did it cost?

gnukid - 7-8-2015 at 07:44 AM

When California mandates that you have to get a smog check and buy auto insurance that covers you for driving on California streets while only having the vehicle in Baja all year round, I consider getting SD plates as avoiding being cheated by California.

Also, if you have a Baja home via a fideicomiso and want to keep that home for vacationing on an ongoing basis, but Mexico only gives you three choices as a vacationing property owner: 1)Residente Temporal status for only 4 years, 2)Residente Permanente where you are technically required to live in Baja and must be there for more than 6 months a year, 3)FMM status as a visitor only for 180 days and without the level of legal residency sufficient in Mexico to be able to defend your rights to your fideicomiso property or to actually leave any of your property behind in Mexico after the 180 days are up. I say those circumstances are rather unfair, not well thought out, and rather untenable, especially since the Mexican immigration did not consult other Mexican agencies governing property ownership to coordinate their most recent immigration status changes to make sure that the ramifications of those changes conformed to the processes, logic and purview of other existing statutes relating to the areas tended to by the other agencies.

CA DMV has exemptions for smog and insurance for vehicles in Baja for every region except border towns, its right in the DMV code and forms/computers default to no smog or ins if you car is registered to your Baja home.

MitchMan - 7-8-2015 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
gnukid
CA DMV has exemptions for smog and insurance for vehicles in Baja for every region except border towns, its right in the DMV code and forms/computers default to no smog or ins if you car is registered to your Baja home.

Last time I check with the on point DMV published material relating to this issue, they did in fact have an expressly written provision for accepting a Mexican policy as sufficient so long as the policy was written for a Mexican resident (RP status being sufficient) that had the words printed on the policy that stated that the policy was for a Mexican resident (I have hear that such policies are more expensive than tourist policies for the same coverage) and the DMV did say that Vehicles that are permanently beyond 1,000 miles south of the US border do no have to get Smogged. But, Most all of Baja is less than 1000 miles from the border, including La Paz.

Such info was/is not readily available and many DMV employees do not know of such DMV policies themselves, especially at AAA. As a result of such ignorance, many of those employees simply do not honor them in practice. In my case, when I read the 1000 mile requirement, it technically nullified any practical ability to register in California anyway.

However, over the last 2 years I have heard that the CA DMV in certain instances has not strictly enforced the 1000 mile limit, so, with some effort expended in finding a semi-knowledgeable DMV employee, one could have their Calif registered vehicle permanently in Baja without having to get either Calif ins coverage or a smog check. At any rate, I do not see how there is any benefit or detriment to California for my having SD plates since the vehicle is always in Baja, not driven on any California streets, not using any material Calif resources of any kind.

All that being said, if I had to do it all again today, I would register a newly acquired vehicle in California instead of SD because I, with some effort, I would be able to avoid the smog check and calif ins coverage...but, only by putting out the effort to find a knowledgeable DMV office...every year. Also, it simplifies things if I should ever have to drive that vehicle back to California with regard to driving an SD plated Vehicle on Calif streets by a driver (me) that has only a Calif drivers license).

gnukid - 7-8-2015 at 09:59 AM

I never have seen a 1000 mile limit in writing and in fact the counties of Baja that are not smog exempt (e.g TJ, Tecate) are noted in the DMV manual and all others are valid, which is odd since many of the border towns on the USA side are smog exempt such as imperial city (i think). In fact most of CA geographically is smog exempt, just not the high population centers. So CA cars in any rural area are generally exempt-it's all noted in the manual by zip code, the problem is that Baja zip codes sometimes conflict with USA codes, which theoretically should be impossible but it is not-so while you are registered in Baja it appears to be Maine or whatever in the computer.

It is true that DMV employees are not knowledgeable on average so they require education at times with reference to the manual and pages, having done this they created a new technical bulletin and even a new form just for this purpose, since there are many many people who are California residents who have second homes in Baja and other countries.

I use AAA and found if you enter the Baja garage address for your vehicle on record it will automatically update and not require smog, ins nor US hi way taxes. This is correct and lawful.

In the big picture, people have the right to have more than one home, be permanent residents of multiple countries and are free to travel unmolested.

The real issue in Baja is vehicles with no plates, driven by people with dark tinted windows, no license and no insurance, and no seat belt that is where the attention is now. There were inspection sites to address this issue in La Paz, BCS yesterday.
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/realizan-retenes-en-la-paz-para-de...

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by gnukid]

laventana - 7-8-2015 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

I bet more people would comply if the importation process was made to be less onerous.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious, did it take more than one day while you waited in a border hotel to complete the process and how much did it cost?

I have some links posted here on the subject. It is actually from what I remember costly and hard them to every get it plated in the USA again. You have to get a document now in the USA that informs the government (easily done) that it is not a USA car so reversing is probably even more costly.

Also one thing i remember people complaining about they turn over their car to the broker I believe on USA side and it has to be completely empty. And it is only a day or two for the process. Obviously older car cheaper and newer more expensive, starting at about $1,000 and up to big money for newer. But then if you wanted to bring things down you have to get insurance for usa and cross the border. Which day insurance can be purchased while you are in line to enter the USA.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t557-nationalize-a-car-disc...

Also I use to have a mexican drivers license, it is not expensive maybe USD$30.00 and only lasts a few years, maybe 2. And sometimes it takes a few trips to the DMV because they run out of the printing equipment consumables all the time. They tell you 3 days you come back and then a week and again they say maybe another week. So if you do not live near the DMV like me down here it can be quite a process every 2 or so years.

gnukid - 7-8-2015 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  

I have some links posted here on the subject. It is actually from what I remember costly and hard them to every get it plated in the USA again. You have to get a document now in the USA that informs the government (easily done) that it is not a USA car so reversing is probably even more costly.

Also one thing i remember people complaining about they turn over their car to the broker I believe on USA side and it has to be completely empty. And it is only a day or two for the process. Obviously older car cheaper and newer more expensive, starting at about $1,000 and up to big money for newer. But then if you wanted to bring things down you have to get insurance for usa and cross the border. Which day insurance can be purchased while you are in line to enter the USA.

Also I use to have a mexican drivers license, it is not expensive maybe USD$30.00 and only lasts a few years, maybe 2. And sometimes it takes a few trips to the DMV because they run out of the printing equipment consumables all the time. They tell you 3 days you come back and then a week and again they say maybe another week. So if you do not live near the DMV like me down here it can be quite a process every 2 or so years.

The forum link above has lots of misinformation and also links to agencies who are selling services. With all due respect to Dean who owns the site and who is a great guy, I don't recommend the forum links as a source of valid up-to-date info or the links provided.

bajalearner - 7-8-2015 at 10:26 AM

Over 1700 views and 32 posts to this thread and not a single post or report with first hand information of any actual instances of enforcement by any state, local, or federal Mexican police prohibiting or interdicting any US citizen who is a Residente Permanente who has a current valid USA state drivers license from driving his current and properly insured USA plated and registered vehicle in the Baja.

My 2 cents. I have not had a problem in MX with my SD plates and the only problem I have had in the US was after I went to SD, became a resident, got a DL and registered my cars there, I went to SENTRI to update my address to my residence in Tijuana, (SENTRI rules). The officer became agitated and told me I was ripping CA off and he would not change my address in fact my SENTRI would be revoked in 30 days if I didn't register my cars in either MX or CA.

I told him he was wrong and I was within the law to claim SD as my residence. He was peeed. I left and wrote my SD Senator (Thune) who it seems, is a slug, and didn't respond but his aid emailed some irrelevante information with no follow up.

The officer asked if I drive on CA roads which I said yes and he said well than you are required to register my cars in CA. (idiot).

30 days went by and my Sentri stayed active and I haven't Heard anything else from them. I never got my address changed with them but my SENTRI is up for renewal so I will see son what they do. It's a matter of which employee I get.

laventana - 7-8-2015 at 10:27 AM

The forum link above has lots of misinformation and also links to agencies who are selling services. With all due respect to Dean who owns the site and who is a great guy, I don't recommend the forum links as a source of valid up-to-date info or the links provided.

mis-information on the internet, say it is not so...

My site is just what I copy and paste from what I read from many sources I have found including I cite posts from nomads. Just like reading Nomads we all know to use our intellect filters when we use them. Nomads i think has paying advertisers, i do not accept any paying advertisers. Yes I do have links to places like bajainsider who want to sell you insurance too.

I created my site for two reasons, one for me because I have a terrible memory so when I read something I would like to reference again it is somewhere where I can find it. Second because people ask me the same questions all the time and again I do not and never have had the memory of a MD who can remember all this stuff.

The advertising that is on my site on the top is because I use a free service that created that site format, if you register you will see no paid advertising. And I do not swear that things are up to date, you have to look and see when it was posted.

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by laventana]

MitchMan - 7-8-2015 at 10:54 AM

gnukid, great stuff. Your info is much appreciated and very, very helpful. Thanks.

gnukid - 7-8-2015 at 11:16 AM

Dean,

You are great guy but the misinformation you provide is causing confusion.

Here is a link to the CA DMV code which is a helpful source of info for those who want to understand how to have a CA DMV car be legal in Baja. I pay less than $100 to register my Baja car in CA. Mex Ins is about $100/yr.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc

Mexconnect is primarily focused on mainland so the info there is not applicable to Baja such as references to TIP and vehicles. Great site, but often not applicable to Baja and the owner recently passed away so it's not clear if it being moderated effectively.

Mexican drivers license is for Mexican plated vehicles only and should not be used by USA plated vehicles in Mexico though presumably could be used temporarily in USA.

The Baja insider articles you note are misleading ads made to look like news which are confusing for causal readers.

While well intended, the postings on your site are creating confusion and could put people in real trouble. I recommend you ensure postings are accurate prior to promoting and sharing in favor of readers and don't repeat info that isn't personally verifiable.

laventana - 7-8-2015 at 12:04 PM

Dean,

You are great guy but the misinformation you provide is causing confusion.

Here is a link to the CA DMV code which is a helpful source of info for those who want to understand how to have a CA DMV car be legal in Baja. I pay less than $100 to register my Baja car in CA. Mex Ins is about $100/yr.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc

Mexconnect is primarily focused on mainland so the info there is not applicable to Baja such as references to TIP and vehicles. Great site, but often not applicable to Baja and the owner recently passed away so it's not clear if it being moderated effectively.

Mexican drivers license is for Mexican plated vehicles only and should not be used by USA plated vehicles in Mexico though presumably could be used temporarily in USA.

The Baja insider articles you note are misleading ads made to look like news which are confusing for causal readers.

While well intended, the postings on your site are creating confusion and could put people in real trouble. I recommend you ensure postings are accurate prior to promoting and sharing in favor of readers and don't repeat info that isn't personally verifiable.

Making sure information on this nomads site is accurate alone would be a few life long jobs...

You are also welcome to post your information there, I would welcome it. I will post what you just wrote here myself as it is again what I consider relevant. As noted my site part you are referring to is all Mexico in general but much of it is baja, I do have a LaPaz section and a LaVentana section. I do not have a baja specific section, people can go to nomads for that and so a search. I have a section that tells people about Nomads too.

BTW I post this link in that section, it is aduanas page on the fee one must pay for nationalizing a car. google translate says it is "Estimated prices applicable to imports of used vehicles by model year" I am sure you would agree that is a helpful resourse... IE is just fine for nomad readers...

http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/claa/ctar/leyes/mec_precios...

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by laventana]

Equine One - 7-13-2015 at 12:53 PM

They indeed ARE denying legitimate smog exemptions in CA. Read on.

When I first moved to Baja, I was living/working about half-time in CA and living half-time in Baja. I got a CA DL and registered my car in CA.

Now I am working from home in Baja and almost never cross the border. The car is garaged in Baja. A year or so ago I renewed my registration with a smog exemption. The vehicle doesn't have any emissions issues, but there are other problems that keep provoking a "check engine" light on the dash, so it won't pass smog. As the repairs were costly, and I was within my rights to qualify for an exemption, I filed for one, and it was awarded. I brought a printout of the vehicle code with me at the time.

When I went back this year for my renewal, vehicle code in hand, I was denied the exemption (Oceanside DMV). I was told they were "cracking down" on unlawful smog exemptions. No amount of arguing or showing them the code would prevail. I don't know if there is any recourse in this case.

I am now driving on expired tags and need to get SD plates. Importing the car is not an option due to the aforementioned onerous process and the fact that it is a luxury make, which I'm told can't be imported anyway.

So, can someone update me on the easiest way to do this from Mexico that's NOT using Clickon (I prefer not to use their services)? Can I make a phone call and handle it all from here, having the plates sent to either a mailbox here or one in Chula Vista? Do I need to notarize anything, and if so, can I do that here somehow? Can I pay by CC (I don't use checks any more)? I keep finding info from around 2012 online, but then I hear the process has changed since then.

I obviously don't want to cross the border on expired plates, and hitching a ride or taking the bus is a pain.

Any info, including phone numbers etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

chuckie - 7-13-2015 at 01:04 PM

605 677 7123 Tell the nice lady what you need to do...that your US address is a mail forwarding address, and she will explain the process, and tell you wha tthe fees are..You will need to send the original title, a copy of your DL ..Shazam

Equine One - 7-13-2015 at 01:16 PM

Thanks, chuckie!!!

Does anyone know the hours for the little UPS/mail stop in Punta Banda on 23? Norma, I think is her name? Can they send stuff for me?

Sorry, new-ish to this area still after being a long time further north.

Lee - 7-13-2015 at 05:50 PM

The form you'll need to fill out and send in with your title, etc.

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0864V18-SDAppl...

You'll send your paperwork FEDEX or other carrier and when SD receives it, you'll have your plates in 2 weeks.

Equine One - 7-13-2015 at 08:10 PM

Thank you, Lee!

CA. DMV.

J.P. - 7-14-2015 at 09:36 AM

We bought our Suburban in CA. when the reg. needed to be renewed we went to CA. DMV. in Otay armed with appropriate copy's of the law and attempted to renew with our Baja address after the fight we retreated to our home and called Sacramento and were received by this really nice person. We explainer what happened at the local DMV. After which she walked us through the process.
For the last 8 years our renewal arrives on our Gate in Baja Via Snail Mail always late. Not wanting any more involvement with DMV. we just Ignore the renewal notice and renew on line and our new sticker appears on our gate on time. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Udo - 7-14-2015 at 09:59 AM

[B]ANOTHER OPTION

log on to http://www.americas-mailbox.com

When you get on their website, they will explain the complete process for the registration and even the driver's license.
Print out your pertinent information.
The nice people at Americas-Mailbox will even handle the paperwork for you when you send them a notarized power of attorney.

Quote: Originally posted by Equine One  
They indeed ARE denying legitimate smog exemptions in CA. Read on.

When I first moved to Baja, I was living/working about half-time in CA and living half-time in Baja. I got a CA DL and registered my car in CA.

Now I am working from home in Baja and almost never cross the border. The car is garaged in Baja. A year or so ago I renewed my registration with a smog exemption. The vehicle doesn't have any emissions issues, but there are other problems that keep provoking a "check engine" light on the dash, so it won't pass smog. As the repairs were costly, and I was within my rights to qualify for an exemption, I filed for one, and it was awarded. I brought a printout of the vehicle code with me at the time.

When I went back this year for my renewal, vehicle code in hand, I was denied the exemption (Oceanside DMV). I was told they were "cracking down" on unlawful smog exemptions. No amount of arguing or showing them the code would prevail. I don't know if there is any recourse in this case.

I am now driving on expired tags and need to get SD plates. Importing the car is not an option due to the aforementioned onerous process and the fact that it is a luxury make, which I'm told can't be imported anyway.

So, can someone update me on the easiest way to do this from Mexico that's NOT using Clickon (I prefer not to use their services)? Can I make a phone call and handle it all from here, having the plates sent to either a mailbox here or one in Chula Vista? Do I need to notarize anything, and if so, can I do that here somehow? Can I pay by CC (I don't use checks any more)? I keep finding info from around 2012 online, but then I hear the process has changed since then.

I obviously don't want to cross the border on expired plates, and hitching a ride or taking the bus is a pain.

Any info, including phone numbers etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Equine One - 7-14-2015 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for the additional option, Udo!

Udo - 7-14-2015 at 01:24 PM

You'll find the people at Americas Mailbox will totally go out of their way to help you...as is the case with everyone I have met in the same area.

Alm - 7-14-2015 at 02:09 PM

There is probably half a dozen mail-forwarding outlets (or more), that could facilitate your dealings with SD. Typically, you have to open a mail-forwarding contract for about $120 a year, plus send them the Power of Attorney, plus actual SD govt registration fees, plus the facilitator's fee for "facilitating" around $20-30. (And sometimes SD excise tax on the vehicle).

This one looks cheaper than Americas Mailboxes, both in mail plans and facilitator fees. No personal experience with either one.

[Edited on 7-14-2015 by Alm]

Importing Vehicles

Warf - 7-14-2015 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  

We imported our 2006 Chevy diesel pickup last year. It cost around $1500 and our broker had the truck back to us in 5 days. The broker does a lot of business with the berry and vegetable farmers in San Quintin importing farm equipment (tractors, trailers, trucks etc.) He lives in Ensenada but does the import in Mexicali. He says it's less hassle there. We figure we broke even on the cost to import in the first year since we no longer pay CA registration and CA insurance. Yes, we have Baja driver's licenses. We had to go to Cruz Roja for blood type and pay around $400 mxn for licenses that are good for 5 years.

SFandH - 7-14-2015 at 04:52 PM

Thanks warf. Good info.

ncampion - 7-14-2015 at 08:06 PM

Have been renewing our CA registration on two cars for the past five years using the CA exemption form. We do not deal with CA DMV, but use our local, friendly AAA office. Never a question and the tags come promptly. Yes, I know we have to pay the higher CA reg. fees and insurance, but it is clean and easy and no guilt involved.

yellowklr - 7-14-2015 at 08:24 PM

Its not that hard to import a VEH to Mexico………..If you live in MEXICO then import your car and get a Mex DL what is hard about that?

You guys are killing me

Alm - 7-15-2015 at 12:21 AM

Its not that hard to import a VEH to Mexico………..

It depends what "veh" and where to. Some are either impossible or prohibitively expensive to import. There are exceptions (or used to be) particularly for 5-9 year old cars and particularly to BCS. People importing 2006 pickup few posts above fell into this latter category (and good timing too - next year they would've been out of luck, broker or no broker).

Pescador - 7-15-2015 at 07:21 AM

Its not that hard to import a VEH to Mexico………..If you live in MEXICO then import your car and get a Mex DL what is hard about that?

You guys are killing me

The other option is to buy a new car here if you are a RP but I have a lot of trouble with the radio that only plays in Spanish. The Turn signals don't work, and the brakes will not come to a full stop at the stop sign. Except for that it is a pretty cool car.
:lol:

Howard - 7-15-2015 at 07:55 AM

I also was thinking about buying a new car here but didn't want the radio to be preset to it's loudest volume especially on Saturday nights! :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 7-15-2015 at 08:43 AM

Maybe mexiCan cops are not interested in enforcing USA laws. Perhaps the cops are simply recognizing that the SD plates usually represent cars imported to Mexico for a long duration, sometimes permanent, but creatively licensed to skirt mexico's import laws. And the cops are responding with creative enforcement, eh.

chuckie - 7-15-2015 at 08:50 AM

I think we all have to worry when South Dakota starts cracking down on South Dakota plates.....

Alm - 7-15-2015 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  

The other option is to buy a new car here if you are a RP but I have a lot of trouble with the radio that only plays in Spanish.

Why do you even need a radio? :) Last time I checked, there was one FM station in St Rosalia (and in the entire 400 km stretch from GN to Loreto).

Alan - 7-16-2015 at 07:31 AM

I think we all have to worry when South Dakota starts cracking down on South Dakota plates.....
South Dakota is not likely to shoot themselves in the foot. There is no down-side to them under the current arrangement. Hundreds of thousands dollars pour in to them every year with zero impact to their infrastructure other than the minor costs of postage and handling.

chuckie - 7-16-2015 at 08:19 AM

I think that's pretty obvious...BUT several other States are putting legal pressure on SD to enforce their own statutes.....

J.P. - 7-17-2015 at 08:41 AM

South Dakota is not likely to shoot themselves in the foot. There is no down-side to them under the current arrangement. Hundreds of thousands dollars pour in to them every year with zero impact to their infrastructure other than the minor costs of postage and handling.

I heard it's not a South Dakota thing it's a Clay county Thing And South Dakota isn't real Happy about it.
I personally think when it Fails it wont be from Internal pressure or other state Interference, the Elephant in the room will be Department of Homeland Security

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by J.P.]

chuckie - 7-17-2015 at 09:31 AM

You just may be correcto.....

Udo - 7-17-2015 at 09:51 AM

IF SD goes down with the registrations, there are other states (albeit a handful) that can do the same thing.

Pompano - 7-17-2015 at 10:07 AM

For SD, there's a small fortune in annual renewals that are cumulative. The average RVer is an RVer for years..it's the gift that keeps giving for the state.

Critics say it could cost South Dakota millions of dollars by discouraging out-of-state registrations. South Dakota's licensing fees help counties pay for road repairs, and the state collects a 3 percent excise tax on vehicles purchased and then licensed in South Dakota. New motor homes can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and the tax revenue adds up. Highly doubtful the state would give up all that.

What SD is interested in doing is..cracking down on fraud and abuses of the system. To discourage falsified applications and collect information on where people really reside. Ultimately, that information could be used by other states to crack down on their residents who license cars, boats and motor homes here.

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by Pompano]

durrelllrobert - 7-17-2015 at 10:17 AM

Most of us around Ensenada got our SD registration/plates from Clay County which has a total population of 13,864. Clay County plates used to be recognizabe by the two digit prefix shown as "19". That is followed by a letter, a space, another letter and two more digits for 67,600 total combinations with the first two digit prefix fixed at 19.

Last year all 67,600 combinations were used up and that's 4.88 vehicles for every man, woman and child in Clay County. After that they had to start using unissued plates from the other 65 counties such as Jones, with a population of 1006 and a liscens plate prefix of "41" or Day with a population of 1029 and a liscense plate prefix of "22".

chuckie - 7-17-2015 at 11:19 AM

When I was up there last fall, hunting, it was really hard to find a parking spot.....

ZipLine - 7-17-2015 at 05:20 PM

the Elephant in the room will be Department of Homeland Security

They've got an excuse for everything. Let's start cracking some old people's skulls and see if they might fess up.

All in good humor of course.

Alm - 7-17-2015 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Critics say it could cost South Dakota millions of dollars by discouraging out-of-state registrations. ....

What SD is interested in doing is..cracking down on fraud and abuses of the system. To discourage falsified applications and collect information on where people really reside.

They don't reside in SD, and SD knows that. Illegal thing to do in the states where they reside, but according to SD this is legal. For SD to crack down on this kind of fraud, they need to simply ban such registrations. If they were "interested", they would've done it already, no?

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by Alm]

sd plates/registration

akshadow - 7-17-2015 at 09:28 PM

Illegal thing to do in the states where they reside, but according to SD this is legal. For SD to crack down on this kind of fraud, they need to simply ban such registrations. If they were "interested", they would've done it already, no?

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by Alm][/rquote]

Some people do not reside in any one place. They are true snow birds and "reside" where they are parked.

bajabuddha - 7-17-2015 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
Some people do not reside in any one place. They are true snow birds and "reside" where they are parked.

BINGO.

In the last 10+ years is the emerging full-time Baby-Boomer-RV crowd, sold the roost, and need a homing-base for legal reasons. Thank South Dakota for not only promoting that, but the freedom of FREE MOVEMENT, and somewhat abiding some semblance of American law....

For the rest of you, who choose do so just for cheapishness, I don't blame you at all. I would too. I don't need to, as New Mexico takes care of their disabled Vets. Otherwise, I'd do it too. However; if you choose to speed a little, which WE ALL DO from time to time, and you get caught, you pay the ticket. Not the cop's fault.

In a tiny town in So. Utah the cop (s... there were two....) would watch for people with out of State plates in the P.O. parking lot, and if you pulled mail out of a P.O. Box and had non-Utah plates, and were investigated for dual State citizenship was a HUGE fine of about $3K or so....

So we all play the system. I feel if you don't, you'z da fool. That's part of the fun of being alive, taking a risk now and then, big freakin' deal.

I ACTUALLY KNOW ONE PERSON FROM SOUTH DAKOTA WHO LIVES IN SOUTH DAKOTA AND HAS SOUTH DAKOTA PLATES !!! OHHH, EMMMM - GEEEE !!!!

:lol:

The most ridiculous plate scammer yet

AKgringo - 7-17-2015 at 10:10 PM

On my flight back to Anchorage on the fourth of July, I ran into a friend I have known since I moved here in 1980. He no longer lives in Alaska, but has family here, and has maintained an AK drivers license.

He told me that after five years of using an Alaska registered and plated vehicle for work, he finally got busted for it.....in Hawaii!

What was he thinking....that he could say he was just driving through?