BajaNomad

Verizon much better last trip

Santiago - 7-1-2015 at 05:56 AM

I was quite surprised that on my trip to BOLA last month I had signal in all the places that Verizon did not work in October. I had not heard any news on this expanded area, anyone else getting this?

Bajazly - 7-1-2015 at 07:38 AM

Did you happen to get a new phone between trips? Last year after I got a new phone, it worked almost everywhere I was up and down the peninsula where my old phone only ever worked in Ensenada only. Also on Verizon here and was mostly on Movistar there.

bajatracker - 7-1-2015 at 08:16 AM

did it work in bola(town)

Phil

BajaJeeper - 7-1-2015 at 08:22 AM

I now longer have Verizon but a few years ago (when I did) I learned that a list of Verizon towers is in a data base on your phone. If a new tower goes up and it is not on your list, you can't receive it. There is a Verizon number you can call to down load the latest list. All users should do this periodically.

Santiago - 7-1-2015 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatracker  
did it work in bola(town)

Phil

Surely you jest......and stop calling me Shirley.

Santiago - 7-1-2015 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Did you happen to get a new phone between trips? Last year after I got a new phone, it worked almost everywhere I was up and down the peninsula where my old phone only ever worked in Ensenada only. Also on Verizon here and was mostly on Movistar there.

In fact that is exactly what happened. hmmmm, don't get it.

BajaJeeper - 7-1-2015 at 02:54 PM

The new phone would have had the latest tower lists in it. You really need to talk to Verizon to find out how to keep your list updated.

redhilltown - 7-1-2015 at 04:26 PM

Great news! Verizon has always been a bummer in Baja...

carlosg - 7-1-2015 at 06:49 PM

SAN LUIS GONZAGA

Anyone has any info for this area? We were there last year using AT&T and had no luck: NO SIGNAL! But we had a rented satellite phone with us because we needed to stay in touch... that worked.

ehall - 7-1-2015 at 07:55 PM

No Verizon signal in gonzaga as of April on my fairly new phone.

redhilltown - 7-1-2015 at 11:28 PM

San Luis Gonzaga is still an extremely remote location...no matter HOW nice the new road is. But someone has put up a lot of money for this new road and new cell towers can't be far behind...

BooJumMan - 7-2-2015 at 04:04 PM

FYI some phones are "unlocked" straight from Verizon. My Samsung Galaxy S5 accepted a TelCEL SIM card and that was it.