BajaNomad

need good breakfast burritos

Santiago - 7-2-2015 at 04:41 PM

I've totally lost my breakfast burrito mojo - need help. I generally use the refer left overs (refrigerator guys, calm down). SWMBO is of no help as the whole concept is just goofy to her. You just can't roll a waffle in a tortilla, right?
Anyway, post your killer BB so I can recover.
thanks

Bajahowodd - 7-2-2015 at 04:54 PM

Any leftovers in a tortilla with cheese. That's it.

Hook - 7-2-2015 at 05:28 PM

My wife makes large amounts of burros and freezes them because they are the perfect food on a boating day. Heat one up for breakfast before departure, heat one or two up (or room temp) for lunch.

Often she comes up with garden leftovers in burros. I grew some Walla Wallas this year (yeah, I am too far south for these, but they were good). I also grow an heirloom squash. Squash is great in burros.

For fishing days, I like burros that fill you up because being out on the ocean makes me hungry. For that reason, I really like some potato in my burros.

Still, I'd have to say my all-time favorite boat burro is egg, soy chorizo, onion, potatoes and cheese. We cut the onion in large chunks and only cook it until it is translucent and still has some crunch. Gotta be cheddar; jack cheese flavor disappears in all these flavors. She also adds some salsa picante to it during the manufacture because it is a pain to add hot sauce, after the fact, on a boat. And I do like some definite kick. Huichol or hotter. There is a new brand down here (maybe just new to me?) called Mexico Lindo and I love their Sala Chiltepin.

I really like the soy chorizos out there, now. Never a chewy bit in it.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Hook]

SFandH - 7-2-2015 at 05:35 PM

smashed frijolies, soy chorizo, and bandera (diced tomatoes, onions, and chilies), flour tortilla.

woody with a view - 7-2-2015 at 06:38 PM

Soyrizo is gross.

The best burros are wrapped in a Mexi- flour tortilla burnt just so. The filler is incidental!

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 07:34 PM

Made some this morning Chorizo (not moldy) Chopped Vidalias, limp celery....eggs&milk all cooked beyond recognition rolled in small flour tortillas...

carlosg - 7-2-2015 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
smashed frijolies, soy chorizo, and bandera (diced tomatoes, onions, and chilies), flour tortilla.

...not for the faint of heart variation:

...frijoles refritos con manteca de puerco (smashed and refried -with lard- beans), chorizo de puerco (real pork chorizo) cooked -use a dab of lard- with lots of onion then mix in an egg, add salsa (hand grated tomato, chili and salt only), use a real flour tortilla (the hand made ones you get in Baja, made with lard) and enjoy with a real cold glass of cow juice... or try...

......FRESH hand made flour tortilla, cooked on wood stove, dab of lard and then sprinkled with sugar, roll and... mmmm... mm... m....! we would savour this treat on our way back from school as we stopped at a friend's house when his mom was hand making the tortillas for lunch... (Tecate 1965...)

Not long ago BajaNomad posted a video (http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78652&got...) of a family preparing and then enjoying breakfast in a ranch somewhere in the sierra in Baja California Sur... that's what it's all about... family, freshness and birds singing in the background... ahhh... BAJA...!!!!

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by carlosg]

wessongroup - 7-2-2015 at 08:29 PM

:):)

fdt - 7-2-2015 at 09:41 PM

I've been making the best b'fst burritos ever lately. Most major stores like Soriana and even Oxxo's have packaged machaca, so if you happen to have an onion, a tomatoe, maybe a bell peper and some huevitos you can make yourself a great machaca burrito fest. Of course you have to have the flower tortillas.
saludos,
flowers

wessongroup - 7-2-2015 at 10:45 PM

A handy snack that just keeps on giving ... cooking the flour torts on a wood stove .... and all the rest is just great ... thanks much to all ... a fav with me too :):)

Santiago - 7-3-2015 at 05:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
I've been making the best b'fst burritos ever lately. Most major stores like Soriana and even Oxxo's have packaged machaca, so if you happen to have an onion, a tomatoe, maybe a bell peper and some huevitos you can make yourself a great machaca burrito fest. Of course you have to have the flower tortillas.
saludos,
flowers

flowers: what are 'huevitos'? small eggs? By the way, back in the 70's I lived on a small ranch while going to college and we would sometimes get duck eggs, smallish but very intense flavor and color. I think they would stack up well to the flavors of burros.

chuckie - 7-3-2015 at 05:58 AM

Those are the opposite of what Donald Trump has....We gotta stop this thread, I read the latest and am making another batch of Chorizo ones this morning.....

Russ - 7-3-2015 at 06:06 AM

I love burritos! What I like about making a large batch is the extras you can put in a dish/ pan cover with cheese and salsa heat and instant enchiladas.

bajabuddha - 7-3-2015 at 06:09 AM

That's a W.C. Fields burrito:

"I love children..... preferably boiled......"

.....and another:

"My mother-in-law can't be all bad.... she hates kids, and small dogs......."

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by bajabuddha]

fdt - 7-3-2015 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  

flowers: what are 'huevitos'? small eggs? By the way, back in the 70's I lived on a small ranch while going to college and we would sometimes get duck eggs, smallish but very intense flavor and color. I think they would stack up well to the flavors of burros.

Huevitos would just be a way of saying huevos in a more appetizing way, just like burrito does not mean a small burro.
And BTW flower tortillas would be flour tortillas made by flowers ;D

wessongroup - 7-3-2015 at 05:10 PM

Great idea russ ... :):)

chuckie - 7-3-2015 at 05:16 PM

Goes good with the Gardenia tortillas...

windgrrl - 7-3-2015 at 05:50 PM

Fry up some diced onion, add some diced sausage, add some cooked, scrambled eggs, then some diced cooked potatoes. Wrap up in a tortilla and top with choice of salsa, herbs, chiles, salt & pepper,etc.

...and I am a fan of the clean-out the fridge burrito, too!

Ateo - 7-5-2015 at 10:42 AM

How about this? Not a burrito but you could make one with the contents. :D:D

desertcpl - 7-5-2015 at 12:25 PM

chorizo, eggs, onion, refried beans, diced chilies , cheese

our favorite

Bob H - 7-6-2015 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
Fry up some diced onion, add some diced sausage, add some cooked, scrambled eggs, then some diced cooked potatoes. Wrap up in a tortilla and top with choice of salsa, herbs, chiles, salt & pepper,etc.

...and I am a fan of the clean-out the fridge burrito, too!

OK, now I'm hungry!

captain4tuna - 11-17-2015 at 05:48 PM

This will get your mojo back.....I dice potatoes and saute..season with salt and pepper as you go......I then add chorizo, green peppers, poblano, mexican zucchini, and mushrooms...cook till crispy not mushy...in a separate pan I cook beaten eggs with a splash of water added and diced green onions...while that's cooking, I put my real tortillas not the american cardboard version on a comal...put my round egg mixture on my tortilla, add the hash and rock and roll.....homemade salsa and then omg......

durrelllrobert - 11-18-2015 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

...not for the faint of heart variation:

...frijoles refritos con manteca de puerco (smashed and refried -with lard- beans), chorizo de puerco (real pork chorizo) cooked -use a dab of lard- with lots of onion then mix in an egg, add salsa (hand grated tomato, chili and salt only), use a real flour tortilla (the hand made ones you get in Baja, made with lard) and enjoy with a real cold glass of cow juice... or try...

......FRESH hand made flour tortilla, cooked on wood stove, dab of lard and then sprinkled with sugar, roll and... mmmm... mm... m....! we would savour this treat on our way back from school as we stopped at a friend's house when his mom was hand making the tortillas for lunch... (Tecate 1965...)

Not long ago BajaNomad posted a video (http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78652&got...) of a family preparing and then enjoying breakfast in a ranch somewhere in the sierra in Baja California Sur... that's what it's all about... family, freshness and birds singing in the background... ahhh... BAJA...!!!!

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by carlosg]
A bird in a breakfast burrito is worth two in the bush

How did the Aztecas make them?

durrelllrobert - 11-18-2015 at 09:16 AM

I understand that before there were burritos the equivalent was empanadas, so why not fill your BB the same way?

Empanadas are made by folding dough or bread with stuffing consisting of a variety of meat, cheese, huitlacoche, vegetables, fruits, and others.

Mexican empanadas can be a dessert or breakfast item, and tend to contain a variety of sweetened fillings which change drastically from region to region; these include pumpkin, yams, sweet potato, and cream, as well as a wide variety of fruit fillings. Meat, cheese, and vegetable fillings are less common in some states, but still well-known and eaten fairly regularly. Depending on local preferences and particular recipes, the dough can be based on wheat or corn, sometimes with yuca flour. Also, syrup or fruit drizzle is often poured onto the Empanada for a distinct sweetened flavor.