BajaNomad

Baja by the Sea 2015

fdt - 7-2-2015 at 06:16 PM

Save the date, it's back, Baja by the Sea in San Diego, August 1st. See you there.

David K - 7-2-2015 at 06:23 PM

Thanks Ferna... it was fun when we last went!

Lot's of photos... from the 2009 event: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38893

basautter - 7-3-2015 at 06:45 AM

Cool! Looks like a good time. :bounce:

fdt - 7-29-2015 at 11:06 AM

It's this saturday

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/28/baja-by...

David K - 7-29-2015 at 11:19 AM

I wish it great success Ferna!
Sadly, we have two personal events that day that will prevent attending.

I highly recommend any Nomads looking for good food, beer, and more to attend!

Please post photos here for those who could not go!

MexicoTed - 7-30-2015 at 06:29 PM

I'm gonna try to make it. Sounds great.

woody with a view - 7-31-2015 at 06:44 AM

won't be able to make it this time.

Udo - 7-31-2015 at 08:26 AM

Jana and I will be there.

Just printed our tickets.

P.S. Mil Gracias for la notica, Fernando!

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by Udo]

Udo - 7-31-2015 at 01:54 PM

I'll be wearing some kind of Baja something and a fishing hat.

BajaNomad - 8-2-2015 at 07:03 AM

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/01/baja-fe...

sd - 8-2-2015 at 09:05 AM

I was there, I said hello to fellow nomad Graham - who is speaking Tuesday night in Pine Valley, a nice community East of San Diego right off Highway 8.

It was a nice event with providers being generous with their food samplings. Best give away was from Rancho Meling, near San Pedro Matir. I have been there several times, a nice 2 or 3 night get away within an easy drive from the border.

Fernando, if you were there I am sorry to have missed you! hope all is well and thanks for bringing the show to our attention.

Scot

Graham - 8-2-2015 at 02:17 PM

Yes, I was there and had a great time. Enjoyed the Baja dishes washed down with Baja beer and wine... met lots of interesting folks and even had my fill of boobs and bull.

I think she was about to smack me with her balls!

Wonderful location. Terrific event.

fdt - 8-2-2015 at 03:29 PM

The girls and I had lots of fun, sorry we missed you also. La proxima.

David K - 8-2-2015 at 03:56 PM

Nice!:light:

sd - 8-2-2015 at 05:18 PM

Graham - did you invite the cheer girls to your Pine Valley talk this Tuesday? I am hoping to attend.

Fernando - great photo of you and your girls, sorry I missed you.

Scot

Graham - 8-2-2015 at 06:02 PM

Not sure if the cheer girls will be there...

but you can expect a lot of bull!

Great if you can make it Scot.

Udo - 8-3-2015 at 02:28 PM

I feel really bad that Jana and I missed Graham and Fernando. We walked around the exhibit area several times and we even went in opposite directions in case we were all walking in circles.
Compare to other such events in the past, this expo appeared to be more of a sales presentation for real estate and condos, with about 8 food booths, three wine booths and a tequila/mezcal booth.

However, here are some of my photos of the event:

This is Oscar Escobedo, the secretary of tourism in Baja. (BTW, I mention to him about the chubby motorcycle cop that is trying to get mordida from US plated vehicles).

Preparing paella to be served.

The tequila demonstration

Tecate beer samples

Sushi samples

Starbucks even had a booth there

[Edited on 8-3-2015 by Udo]

Maron - 8-3-2015 at 04:43 PM

Is this event always the 1st weekend of Aug? Looks like fun.

Udo, great photos.

Thanks all

David K - 8-3-2015 at 05:05 PM

I think one year it was on Memorial Day weekend (when we go to Baja)!?

Graham - 8-3-2015 at 09:20 PM

Nice photos Udo. Thanks. You saw stuff I missed. And sorry to have missed you and Jana... I think I spent too much time sitting at table shooting the bull and enjoying those delicious food samples.

Any response

bajaguy - 8-3-2015 at 09:40 PM

To the chubby motorcycle cop comment??

Maron - 8-3-2015 at 09:55 PM

Baja Guy

What a great question. How will we all know him, if he starts NutriSystem?

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by Maron]

Udo - 8-4-2015 at 08:43 AM

Sorry we missed you too, Graham. We sat around the shaded side of the tables for about 1-½ hours, then we went to stand in line for the food samples they were given out. We ended up eating while standing in line, because the tables were full.
Our favorite food was the salmon ceviche served on a round Doritos-Sized tortillas. We went back for thirds.
The wine was really good and so was the tequila and mescal. The Tecate was a great thirst quencher. Good thing we got there early, because those were the longest lines.

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  
Nice photos Udo. Thanks. You saw stuff I missed. And sorry to have missed you and Jana... I think I spent too much time sitting at table shooting the bull and enjoying those delicious food samples.

fdt - 8-5-2015 at 06:20 AM

While we did have lots of fun, it was nothing like the past events, yes Udo, it was more of a sales pitch, not as many food samples, no real government officials just the second hand folks. It was disorganized from the get-go. Then printing of your invitations was a joke, the food and drink tickets were just not needed and many other things. But, yes, we had fun.
How did it all benefit Baja California? Don't know.
I think it was better on the past ones when we got to chase down the governor ;D

Udo - 8-5-2015 at 02:48 PM

You are absolutely correct, Fernando. 90% of all the booths were some sort of sales presentation for land, houses or condos (considering the recent news that some condo owners lost their 50% deposits because the condos were never finished).
The food and drink tickets were (apparently) handed out in the latter registrations. We were never given tickets, and some of the samples booths were asking for them.
The previous events were a lot better with much more food and drinks, especially the "margaritas volantes."
And, yes, it was fun hobnobbing with the governor on previous events.

We'll be down in Ensenada this weekend enjoying the PROVINO Vendetta festivities (wine AND food).