BajaNomad

Odds of losing my oil pan headed to Punta San Jose ?

Jhanks - 7-17-2015 at 04:30 PM

I drive Prius. Don't judge. Which has very little ground clearance. And my buddy drives a Pontiac Vibe, which has a tiny bit more. We are making a trip to Punta San Jose in the near future, but we've never been there before. I talked to a local in Ensenada last week who said I can make it in a car if I go slow. Is this true? Or should I try to find a more reliable off road ride?

woody with a view - 7-17-2015 at 04:51 PM

don't be a puss. just do it!

bajabuddha - 7-17-2015 at 05:02 PM

Drive a Prius off-road?? "MEEP-MEEEEP!!" A car is only as good as its' driver. Back in the '70's I took a little Toyota Celica ('73) in places there weren't places. You, however need to ask, ''what if?''... as in, parts? If you do have a back-up vehicle, no guts, no glory. Little vehicles go AROUND things easier. Just remember where your a) oilpan and b) transmission is, and it's an ADVENTURE.

Extra equipment:
A) BEER
B) water
C) BEER
D) food
E) BEER

BooJumMan - 7-17-2015 at 10:06 PM

Everyone starting to go back to Baja now that its "safe"!? Just FYI Victor the land owner was shot dead there over a land dispute a few months ago. You'll be fine though. That road is practically paved. Haven't been there since last year though.

DanO - 7-17-2015 at 10:12 PM

Totally not an issue if you drive slowly.

chuckie - 7-18-2015 at 06:22 AM

Did a lot of that country in a 240 Volvo, kept one eye closed, thas the ticket....

PaulW - 7-18-2015 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jhanks  
I drive Prius. Don't judge. Which has very little ground clearance. And my buddy drives a Pontiac Vibe, which has a tiny bit more. We are making a trip to Punta San Jose in the near future, but we've never been there before. I talked to a local in Ensenada last week who said I can make it in a car if I go slow. Is this true? Or should I try to find a more reliable off road ride?

===
Are you joking?
Get a proper ride
If not then get SPOT and someone to contact nearby - and take your survival stuff when you trash the Prius.

chuckie - 7-18-2015 at 07:37 AM

Paul W? How many times have you been on that road?

BajaRat - 7-18-2015 at 09:38 AM

Stop by the Tvind compound, get pictures and report back, they will probably think your one of them driving a Prius
Good luck and have fun :cool:

chippy - 7-18-2015 at 05:09 PM

Lets see I did it in my 57 Chevy Wagon, 65 Valiant wagon. 63,65,67 vw bugs all stock and before 1976. YouŽll be fine.

MMc - 7-18-2015 at 05:46 PM

Just make sure that you put a couple of rocks in front of your wheels when you get there.:bounce: I did the drive in a crappy in the early 80's.

Chupacabra - 8-7-2015 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jhanks  
Odds of losing my oil pan headed to Punta San Jose ?

You're good. I've seen Priuses there in the past. Pretty much any passenger car can make it to PSJ and the road is graded regularly.

Chupacabra - 8-7-2015 at 05:30 PM

The worst part of the road is actually the first mile, where you head from Santo Tomas up to the town dump. After that it's like butter.

Tomas Tierra - 8-22-2015 at 05:18 PM

Just make sure you save a gallon of gas to get back to Ensenada

basautter - 8-23-2015 at 11:40 AM

Bring an extra oil pan if you are worried, and some tools. Actually, I bring two part epoxy sticks for quick patches on my dirt bike (mighty putty). Works great, and is fast. You probably won't have problems, but can never be too prepared! :light:

Ken Cooke - 8-23-2015 at 05:37 PM

To repair a damaged oil pan on a Jeep, a bar of soap and JB Weld allowed for the oil pan to hold oil and return from the Baja Pole Line Road to San Diego AND make a weekly commute until a new oil pan could be procured from the local dealership.