BajaNomad

Lubiaz Abbey -one of the biggest in the world

BajaBlanca - 7-18-2015 at 07:18 AM

We have driven by this building over 30 times in the last week we have been here and we had NO idea it was what it is.

I asked that we make a special trip today as we are leaving tomorrow for northern Poland. It seemed like a nice activity.

What we found was MIND BOGGLING. Here is the link to wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubi%C4%85%C5%BC_Abbey

and here is the first paragraph they write:

The western side of the Prince's Hall
Lubiąż Abbey (German: Kloster Leubus; Polish: Opactwo cystersów w Lubiążu), also commonly known in English as Leubus Abbey, is a former Cistercian monastery in Lubiąż,[1] in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship of southwestern Poland, located about 54 km (34 mi) northwest of Wrocław. The abbey, established in 1175, is one of the largest Christian architectural complexes in the world and is considered a masterpiece of Baroque Silesian architecture.

The building is in a terrible state -it was plundered various times by various groups and is only now being restored to its glorious beauty.

GETTING THERE TOOK ABOUT 10 MINUTES:

EVERY SINGLE TOWN ALL OVER POLAND -TOP NORTH TO BOTTOM SOUTH, HAS SOME KIND OF ENTRANCE -EITHER RELIGIOUS OR MORE LIKE A MAY POLE:

THE ABBEY IN ALL ITS FORMER SPLENDOR:

OUTSIDE FRONT DOOR - FOUNTAIN:

CHECK OUT THE SIZE OF THE DOORS - THEY MAKE LES (A BIG GUY) LOOK SHRIMPY:

ONE OF THE FEW PARTS THAT ARE ORIGINAL:

I BOUGHT A BOOKLET SINCE THE ENTIRE TOUR WAS IN POLISH - THIS IS WHAT IT SAID ALONG WITH WHAT WE SAW:

SUPPOSEDLY ONE OF THE LARGEST PAINTINGS EVER DONE:

SO MUCH WORK TO BE DONE:

AT ONE PONT MICHAEL JACKSON WAS INTERESTED IN BUYING THE ABBEY.....AND IT PUT IT IN THE SPOTLIGHT ACCORDING TO THE TOUR GUIDE.

WIKI SAYS THERE ARE MUMMIES AND THE GUIDE MENTIONED THEM TOO:

The area of the roofs is about 25,000 square metres. The façade, with a length of 223 m (732 ft), is the longest in Europe after that of El Escorial in Spain. In the crypts are 98 well-preserved mummies of Silesian dukes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THIS ENDS THE TRAVEL IN THIS PART OF POLAND - IT HAS BEEN SO MUCH FUN EVERY DAY! LITERALLY EVERY CORNER HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER.....

THE BEST PART IS THAT I AM ACTUALLY SPEAKING SOME POLISH NOW -WHOOOOHOOOOOO

I CAN UNDERSTAND 95% BUT I CAN SPEAK MAYBE 10%. WHICH IS NOT SHABBY CONSIDERING THIS IS CONSIDERED ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT LANGUAGES TO LEARN. AND I CAN ATTEST THAT IT AIN'T EASY AT ALL.

AS AN EXAMPLE: NO MEANS YES.

TRY SAYING NO NO NO (THEY REPEAT IT LIKE THIS USUALLY) WHEN YOU MEAN YES YES YES !!!!