BajaNomad

La Paz Hotels

lizard lips - 7-23-2015 at 05:45 PM

Which is the best hotel in La Paz. Have work there and want a nice pool, good service, good security, and excellent food. Any suggestions?

THANKS!

TMW - 7-23-2015 at 06:44 PM

LP what has been going on with the missing guy near Catavina? Haven't heard anything for some time now. Was there a search of the area where his car was found.

As to La Paz I like the hotel La Perla on the Malecon.

I stayed in one a little further east called the Las Gravitas or something like that. One block up from thr Malecon. Two bedrooms, kitchen living room and balcony. Pool and free breakfast. Nice quiet place. A little more $$. Twice what the La Perla charges.

ADCELAND - 7-23-2015 at 07:35 PM

Hi I live in la Paz , La Perla is on malecon and the noise can be bothering, do you prefer center?

CaboMagic - 7-23-2015 at 07:41 PM

Hey LL :D
Reach out to Jonathan and Jill Roldan at Tailhunter ..
52 612 125 3311
They will know exactly where fits your criteria ..
Tell J&J your first beverage is on us :D
Safe and productive travels amigo ... T&L

latina - 7-24-2015 at 08:44 AM

Costa Baja is the only high end hotel/resort in La Paz. It's quiet, in a beautiful setting and they have 3+ very nice restaurants to choose from :)

Udo - 7-24-2015 at 09:58 AM

Hola LL!

I am a big fan of B&B's.

A little over 150' and a little up the hill from the Malecon (the Applebees is on the corner), is a little B&B called Casa Tuscany. Their Romeo and Juliet room has a rooftop plaza with sweeping views of the town and marina, which is about 500' away. They have a web site.

motoged - 7-24-2015 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Hola LL!

They have a web site.

And......(drum-roll.....).....

Here it is:

http://www.tuscanybaja.com/

BajaBlanca - 7-24-2015 at 11:08 AM

Casa Tuscany is really beautiful and a great location, but not high end

however

There is another hotel all the way down the malecon- opposite end and past la perla called CLUB EL MORO. I think it might be exactly what you are looking for. It is at the end of the malecon so you can walk to restaurants easily. It is quiet. and it is gorgeous.

http://www.clubelmoro.com.mx/en/

Phone: +612 122 4084
Additional Phone: +612 125 2828
Email: elmoro@prodigy.net.mx

BajaBlanca - 7-24-2015 at 11:10 AM

I just realized you said POOL and I don't remember seeing one. sorry 'bout that.

vandenberg - 7-24-2015 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I just realized you said POOL and I don't remember seeing one. sorry 'bout that.

They do have a beautiful pool, but not close to any good restaurants.

AKgringo - 7-24-2015 at 11:24 AM

Blanca, The gallery of photos on the link you provided shows a pool!

Edit; I guess I was a little slow with the info.

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by AKgringo]

motoged - 7-24-2015 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by latina  
Costa Baja is the only high end hotel/resort in La Paz.

http://www.costabajaresort.com/

lizard lips - 7-24-2015 at 11:54 AM

Thank you all for the input. I'll let you know where I stayed and how it was when I return.

Lee - 7-24-2015 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Hola LL!

I am a big fan of B&B's.

A little over 150' and a little up the hill from the Malecon (the Applebees is on the corner), is a little B&B called Casa Tuscany. Their Romeo and Juliet room has a rooftop plaza with sweeping views of the town and marina, which is about 500' away. They have a web site.

I second that. Tuscany is home when I'm in LP. Carol is the lovely proprietor and has a nice breakfast. http://www.tuscanybaja.com

I especially like the location to the Malecon.

Down side: no pool, and street parking.

Up side on that: I'll hear my car alarm if it were tampered with.

rts551 - 7-24-2015 at 01:07 PM

I second El moro and there are restaurants up and down the Malecon.

Bajahowodd - 7-24-2015 at 03:29 PM

We always stay at Club El Moro. It's secure, has a pool, and complimentary breakfast. For dinner, we walk the several blocks over to Jonathan and Jill's Tailhunter.

WestyWanderer - 7-24-2015 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
We always stay at Club El Moro. It's secure, has a pool, and complimentary breakfast. For dinner, we walk the several blocks over to Jonathan and Jill's Tailhunter.

I second this, great hotel and the dinner here isn't bad, and the bartender at the pool bar makes the best margaritas in town! Rancho Viejo II on the malecon is good too, get the Arachara beef, really good.

Ken Bondy - 7-24-2015 at 05:05 PM

We had a nice experience at La Concha about a year ago. It's old and showing her age but still has a lot of charm and the staff was great. Restaurant was good.

danaeb - 7-24-2015 at 06:00 PM

I second Ken Bondy, IF you have a car. La Concha has a nice little beach too.

Ken Bondy - 7-24-2015 at 09:51 PM

Sorry for the hijack, but there used to be a hotel at the south end of La Paz called La Posada. I think it was owned (at one time) by Engelbert Humperdink. Is it still there?

BajaBlanca - 7-25-2015 at 12:01 AM

There is a large hotel at the opposite end of the malecon from el moro and it has been boarded up and shutdown for a while now. Not sure if it is the same one?

This is what I found on Humperdinck and the La Paz Hotel:

Engelbert sets record straight about stolen Hotel

Mar 25, 2007, 9:46 PM

Legendary singer, Dr. Engelbert Humperdinck, (that is no typo error either)….. proudly earned a Doctor of Music degree and highly publicized respect in January, 2006 from University of Leicester in his hometown in England. Celebrating his 40th year in the entertainment field this year, unfortunately also has him in a “non party” mood at the moment denying “Please Release Me”…only not in song but in court. In September, 2004, his Hotel La Posada de Engelbert in LaPaz was overtaken by someone claiming ownership to the property, which is said to be worth in the millions of dollars. Dr. Humperdinck was not present at the hotel at the time when Eddie Ogden, of Ogden-Gutierrez Real Estate, entered the property with law enforcement beside him and a document claiming he was the owner. I don’t think Mexico knows what the term “grace period” means, as Engelbert’s partners, present at the time, and all of their belongings were literally put out on the street beside the hotel. A legal battle has since ensued, but as of late, it was announced that Mr. Ogden/Gutierrez is about to try and capitalize on his threatening and menacing moments of seize. Most likely realizing the charms of LaPaz would soon to be flourishing, he has engaged in tearing down the historical hotel this June and building a five star hotel high-rise in it’s place. Odd that slick “Eddie” waited until 2004 to make his move, as Engelbert legally purchased the property in 1990 only not for money, but for what LaPaz stands for….”peace”…a hideaway giving him a well deserved break from time to time away from the spotlight. Dr. Humperdinck intends to take this matter to the highest court and rest assured, he is not prepared to lose his voice.

---------------------------------------------------------

vandenberg - 7-25-2015 at 06:27 AM

Humperdinck's place.
We've stayed there several times in the 90's Wasn't much choice for reasonable rooms in those days that were halfway decent. A teardown wouldn't be a great loss for the city. Really not too impressive!!

Ken Bondy - 7-25-2015 at 07:05 AM

There is a large hotel at the opposite end of the malecon from el moro and it has been boarded up and shutdown for a while now. Not sure if it is the same one?

Thanks BajaBlanca and vandenberg. BajaBlanca it's at the south end of town, near the marina (see arrow):

[Edited on 7-25-2015 by Ken Bondy]

Ken Bondy - 7-25-2015 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Humperdinck's place.
We've stayed there several times in the 90's Wasn't much choice for reasonable rooms in those days that were halfway decent. A teardown wouldn't be a great loss for the city. Really not too impressive!!

Agree vandenberg. It was nothing special, I just got to know it because that's where the old dive boat Baja Explorador would book us for the first and last nights of the trips. Still, some good memories.

mtnpop - 7-26-2015 at 04:37 PM

If you like ribs then go to JR's BBQ ribs... block up off the malecon. If you need an address I have it ... good ribs, and the price is really good..

also we stay at Casa Buena a mile or so before the malecon, nice small pool, community room, and large gated wall around it...
They also have rooms with a kitchen if you need a longer term... Nice folks... easy access anywhere in town by taxi or your own car..
Just an alternative that we like and have had good luck with..

Genecag - 7-28-2015 at 08:23 AM

The new Hyatt Place in Costa Baja is nice and cheap. The best restaurant Azul is in the Marina and with other options. For $67 per night including breakfast is a deal.

lizard lips - 7-30-2015 at 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions but I stayed at Hyatt Place next to Costa Baja. It is a GREAT HOTEL! $80.00 per night and the excellent breakfast is free. It is a little drive to town where I was working but the Assistant manager gave me a ride in the Hyatt Shuttle and drove me back to the hotel.

Everyone was really nice at the hotel and the room was fantastic for 80... If I go back I will for sure stay there.

BajaBlanca - 7-31-2015 at 12:21 AM

great choice of hotel! And the Azul is one of our very favorite restaurants too!