BajaNomad

Calafia's Galeon Cocina, south of Rosarito

bajacalifornian - 8-8-2015 at 04:32 PM

Just back from a friggin' outstanding lunch at Calafia, south of Rosarito. Glad to see it open and jumpin' again.

Honestly excellent in every dimension . . . view of course remains out of this world but . . .

The food, wow. The lobster bisque soup, an appetizer they call toritos . . . peppers filled with smoked marlin plus marinated citrus, black sauces and roasted pineapple, and lobster tacos with bell pepper, onion and fresh mango salsa were all superb. Even the coffee infused with cinnamon was way above average. Meals all around us were worthy of photos and return to sample everything, including the cucumber margaritas. Didn't want to leave for the music in the end. Finally a true entertainer at a local restaurant.

They serve breakfast Saturdays and a buffet on Sundays. Just a couple miles from my home, I may see you there.

Perhaps, check out www.hotel-calafia.com

tiotomasbcs - 8-8-2015 at 06:05 PM

Was Chapo there? Beautiful location on the cliff overlooking Mama Ocean. Fish/lobster prolly coming from Central Baja. I;m making a reservation. Tio

bajacalifornian - 8-8-2015 at 07:05 PM

Tio, by God if you are serious, kindly count me in .

Come the last two days in August and we'll do a ride . . . the one nobody responded to.

It'd be great.

bajacalifornian - 8-8-2015 at 07:16 PM

No Tio. My bad.

The 29th & 30th is the ride.

See Maderita's post about "Cabalgata (group horseback ride) August 29 & 30 Rancho el Topo, Sierra de Juarez" or, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79801.

You too Paulina & Cheri!

Mula - 8-9-2015 at 06:15 AM

I'll see if I can talk Dan into it.

Ateo - 8-9-2015 at 09:56 AM

Dude, your Calafia food list made me eat 4 bags of candies last night in an attempt to get a glimpse of the pure joy you must've experienced there. Darn it, it didn't work!

bajacalifornian - 8-9-2015 at 04:42 PM

Amigo . . . you come often.

Stop by. Candy will be long since forgotten.

Worth it.

Try Calypso for breakfast. Good.

bajaguy - 8-9-2015 at 05:07 PM

The secret to pure joy is frozen Snickers bars

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Dude, your Calafia food list made me eat 4 bags of candies last night in an attempt to get a glimpse of the pure joy you must've experienced there. Darn it, it didn't work!

Ateo - 8-9-2015 at 05:25 PM

Bajacalifornian: Yes amigo, a plan it is.

bajaguy: Dang, sounds good. Maybe tonight!

elgatoloco - 8-9-2015 at 06:39 PM

When they first built the galeon we would head over there for happy hour and the tortilla flying contest. We will have to get back over there since its been 15+ years. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

support the good guys

huesos - 9-3-2015 at 05:31 PM

I hope we can all find a way to support the Hotel and commend them for granting coastal access.

Maron - 12-1-2015 at 04:41 PM

Bajacalifornian, thank you for enlightening us about the Galleon at Calafia. We managed to get there for lunch this past Friday, and it was outstanding. We shared a fabulous lobster-stuffed avocado salad, which also contained bits of walnut, green apple and a wonderful dressing. One order of that is plenty for two. We also each had a bowl of lobster bisque, which was great as well. It's only a couple miles from our place in Rosarito as well. The view, as you said, is also out of this world.

Thanks again,
Mary Ann & Ron

Udo - 12-1-2015 at 08:43 PM

Looks like we'll now have to make a run to eat at the Galleon.