BajaNomad

Learning Spanish with Dave Deal Illustrations (1975)

David K - 8-10-2015 at 02:44 PM

The late Dave Deal was a great cartoonist/illustrator who specialized in off road and motor sports themes. He was the creator of the 'human' vehicles in Pixar's CARS, one of the the Armor-All Viking logos, Dick Cepek Catalog cover (Chevy Blazer), and much more. He also illustrated the cover of Jimmy Smith's book and James T. Crow's Baja Handbook.

I recently aquired a very little pocket Spanish dictionary that features Dave's art work. Sadly, when I opened it flat to scan, the glue binding let the pages loose!

Oh, well... now more folks can enjoy Dave's work. Dave lived near me, in Vista, California. I was fortunate to know him before he passed away!

Dave Deal was a pilot, and he raced the Baja (Mexican 1000) and I believe holds a record for the fastest time in his class to La Paz BEFORE the highway was paved, using the original Mexican 1000 race road?

* if any of the two page illustration scans are too small to read easily, I am happy to scan just the single page so it is easy to read!

To read and see more of Dave 'Big Deal', click here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18031

capt. mike - 8-10-2015 at 02:51 PM

that's funny stuff.

StuckSucks - 8-10-2015 at 02:55 PM

I remember his drawings - good stuff. And his espaņol illustrations will help this gringo, thanks.

David K - 8-10-2015 at 03:15 PM

Here is one of Dave's illustration web sites, others are already gone. Enjoy it before the site expires!: http://www.bigdealart.com/

liknbaja127 - 8-10-2015 at 07:47 PM

Thanks David, That is very cool!

David K - 8-10-2015 at 11:15 PM

My pleasure amigo. It is a tiny square pocket book. Sadly, the cheap/ glue binding from 40 years ago is all dried out and opening it to scan Dave's cartoons destroyed the book (well, a hundred loose pages now)!

BeemerDan - 8-11-2015 at 07:50 AM

Thats really neat! David, maybe you can take the book to Staples and have them spiral bind it for you.
I had them laminate the front and back of my Baja almanac then spiral bound, makes it so much easier to open and stay on the same page.

David K - 8-11-2015 at 08:09 AM

Thanks Dan... great idea! As you know our Old Missions Book is spiral bound, brand new! The idea was so the book could be kept open on a page of the mission you are at to quickly refer to it. The long term binding effect is another good reason!