BajaNomad

Join Me on a TOUR to the Missions and More: New date in April, 2016

Pages:  1  

David K - 8-13-2015 at 01:50 PM

Discover Baja Travel Club has asked me to guide a 4WD Van tour. I hope to share some of Baja's exciting history with our guests!

I hope you can travel with me and have a fun time on the most interesting peninsula on earth!

Here are the details: http://www.discoverbaja.com/2015/08/13/missions-trip/

New Date: April 19th – April 28th, 2016

The following from Discover Baja Travel Club:

Missions, Architecture, Historical Sites, Rock Art and Nature!

Join famous Baja author and Baja Missions expert David Kier on this Baja Custom Tours special trip to see many of the famous Baja Spanish Missions, other historical sites, and loads of natural/eco sites! This 10 day/9 night, all-inclusive trip will feature the best of Baja from Tecate to Loreto, highlighting many of the missions, ghost towns, rock art sites, museums and beautiful natural environment along the way!

This is a once in a lifetime trip that will fill quickly so call Discover Baja at 800-727-2252 or email ask@discoverbaja.com to reserve your spot today!

$2,095 all-inclusive double occupancy

Itinerary:

Day 1 – Departure from San Diego 8am and drive East to Tecate, south through Valle de Guadalupe, visit Mision Guadalupe and Museo, lunch, visit Mision Santo Tomas ruins with lecture, arrive hotel Baja Cactus in El Rosario, Dinner at Mama Espinoza’s.

Day 2 – 7am breakfast, visit Mision El Rosario, Las Pintas Fossil Grotto and Rock Art with field lunch, El Marmol onyx mine site, arrive Hotel Mision Cataviña, dinner at Hotel and after dinner campfire social.

Day 3 – 7am breakfast at hotel in Catavina, drive to San Ignacio, lunch in San Ignacio, tour Mision San Ignacio and Museo, Motel La Huerta, dinner in San Ignacio.

Day 4 – 7am breakfast in San Ignacio, drive south to Loreto, visit Mision de Santa Rosalia de Mulege, lunch in Mulege, visit ruins of visita San Juan Bautista Londo, arrive at Hotel Coco Cabañas in Loreto, dinner in Loreto.

Day 5 – Breakfast in Loreto, tour Loreto Mission and Museo, drive to Mision San Javier and tour, lunch in San Javier, free time in Loreto, dinner in Loreto.

Day 6 – Day at Beach at Playa Ligui, visit Mision Ligui, field lunch, visit Puerto Escondido, free time in Loreto, dinner in Loreto.

Day 7 – 7am breakfast in Loreto, drive north to Mision Santa Gertrudis and oasis with lunch in Bonfil, drive to Hotel Caracoles in Guerrero Negro, dinner at Mario’s Palapa.

Day 8 – 7am breakfast in Guerrero Negro, drive to Mision San Borja, field lunch, lunch in Bahia de Los Angeles, visit Mina Las Flores, tour the Museo de Bahia de Los Angeles, return to motel Costa del Sol, seafood buffet dinner!

Day 9 – 7am breakfast, visit Montevideo rock art site, lunch in Cataviña, visit Mision San Fernando, visit 2nd El Rosario Mission, and arrive Motel Las Jardines in San Quintin, dinner in San Quintin.

Day 10 – 7am breakfast, visit Mision Santo Domingo, lunch in San Vicente, visit Mision San Vicente, drive to Valle de Guadalupe for wine tasting at Monte Xanic, cross border at Tecate, drive to San Diego.

Note: As the new date in 2016, do look for any updates before the trip.

[Edited on 10-8-2015 by David K]

danaeb - 8-13-2015 at 02:06 PM

I'm assuming this is $2095 per person, based on double occupancy? Is there a single supplement?

David K - 8-13-2015 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  
I'm assuming this is $2095 per person, based on double occupancy? Is there a single supplement?

Click the link for more details... I think it is $300 more for a single?

edit, yes it says: *Additional $300 charge for single occupancy

[Edited on 8-13-2015 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 8-13-2015 at 04:53 PM

Only one problem.

shari - 8-13-2015 at 06:30 PM

wow...that's alot of missions! Looks like a fantastic trip DK!

rts551 - 8-13-2015 at 06:47 PM

The Famous David K. Congrats.

LaTijereta - 8-13-2015 at 06:48 PM

Looks like you timed your arrival in Loreto for the Mission Festival.. All based around the mission's birthday of October 25th...
Lots of folk dancing and activities in the plaza each night!

Ateo - 8-13-2015 at 08:00 PM

Covering some serious ground there. Have fun and good luck! Can't wait to see the trip reports.

David K - 8-14-2015 at 07:34 AM

Thanks... the dates are Discover Baja's planning, I only listed interesting sites to consider... which they agreed would be cool to include.

Come on and join us!

Some of what may be seen...

David K - 8-14-2015 at 12:33 PM

Day 1 Sites:

Guadalupe Mission and Museum:

Mission Santo Tomás (final site):

Mama Espinoza's Restaurant:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 12:47 PM

Day 2 sites:

Mission El Rosario (First Site 1774-1802):

Las Pintas:

El Marmol:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 12:58 PM

Day 4 Sites:

Mission Santa Rosalia de Mulegé:

Visita San Juan Londó:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 01:03 PM

Day 5 Sites:

Mission Loreto, California's first successful mission and the start of El Camino Real in California:

Mission San Javier, the second California mission and the finest original, preserved Jesuit mission:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 01:09 PM

Day 6 Sites:

Mission Ligüí, the third California mission and first site to fail, 1705-1721. Original mission foundation washed away by floods in 2001. Cross located near site.

Playa Ligüí:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 01:13 PM

Day 7:

Mission Santa Gertrudis:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 01:19 PM

Day 8:

Mission San Borja:

Las Flores:

Bahia de los Angeles:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 01:33 PM

Day 9 sites:

Montevideo:

Mission San Fernando:

View from Helicopter, 2014.

Petroglyphs nearby.

Mission El Rosario, second site 1802-1832:

If there is time, we may visit La Lobera, the sea lion crater:

David K - 8-14-2015 at 02:01 PM

This is a Discover Baja sponsored tour, and uses Baja Custom Tours, the same company that has Graham as a guide for various tours in Baja.

For more on the tour service: http://bajacustomtours.com/
For more on Discover Baja Travel Club: http://www.discoverbaja.com/

BajaGringo - 8-14-2015 at 02:25 PM

Congratulations David! Not sure if I just missed it but in reading about the tour it wasn't clear who will provide the 4WD transportation? Are you supposed to come in your own vehicle or will 4WD vehicles be provided? If so, who will drive? Is there a plan for breakdowns?

Just curious...

jbcoug - 8-14-2015 at 07:16 PM

David, Stop, you're giving it all away for free! I would love to go but the timing doesn't work for me this time. I hope it is a huge success and that you will do another that I can make.

rts551 - 8-14-2015 at 08:14 PM

did you have to get a work permit to do this? I don't know how tours from up North work.

David K - 8-14-2015 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Congratulations David! Not sure if I just missed it but in reading about the tour it wasn't clear who will provide the 4WD transportation? Are you supposed to come in your own vehicle or will 4WD vehicles be provided? If so, who will drive? Is there a plan for breakdowns?

Just curious...

Hi Ron, see the link above for Baja Custom Tours. They have 4WD vans that seat 9 guests + crew. As mentioned, this is the company that has Graham along to guide tours. Now, it's my turn as it is a missions tour hosted by Discover Baja.

David K - 8-14-2015 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
did you have to get a work permit to do this? I don't know how tours from up North work.

This is just worked out and I asked about permits. I was told they have all the permits and they (Baja Custom Tours) have been doing Baja tours for years. Nomad member Graham has already been a guide for them so I think we are in good company. Thank you for your interest. Please contact the tour company for more details. My part is only to share what I know from 50 years of Baja travel since my first trip and mission history.

ehall - 8-14-2015 at 09:26 PM

No mission Santa Maria? Give the vans 4wd a good workout.

David K - 8-14-2015 at 10:28 PM

That's my favorite mission, but alas no time even if the van could get in there. 3 hours one way.

CaboMagic - 8-15-2015 at 08:19 AM

This is p e r f e c t for you DK
Sincere Congratulations :)

David K - 8-15-2015 at 08:24 AM

Thank you Lori! I hope the guests enjoy themselves as much as I do when I go to Baja.

TMW - 8-15-2015 at 09:43 AM

I think this is great, especially for you David, with the passion you have for Baja and the missions.

Ken Cooke - 8-15-2015 at 10:58 AM

Congratulations David on the leading of this tour.

David K also lectured at the 2015 Baja Pole Line Run in April! :bounce:

Mission Sites to be visited...

David K - 8-17-2015 at 08:30 AM

The mission sites included on this tour, additionally the second Rosario mission (#19 x 2) and the Loreto visita ruin of Londó (between #1 and #4).

1) Loreto (1697)
2) San Javier (1699)
3) Ligüí/Malibat (1705)
4) Mulegé (1705)

5) Comondú (1708)
6) La Purísima (1720)
7) La Paz (1720)
8) Guadalupe de Huasinapí (1720)
9) Los Dolores Apaté (1721)
10) Santiago (1724)
11) San Ignacio (1728)
12) San José del Cabo (1730)
13) Santa Rosa/Todos Santos (1733)
14) San Luis Gonzaga (1737)
15) Santa Gertrudis (1752)
16) San Borja (1762)

17) Santa María (founded in 1766, at Calamajué)
18) San Fernando (1769)
19) El Rosario (1774)
20) Santo Domingo (1775)
21) San Vicente (1780)

22) San Miguel (1787)
23) Santo Tomás (1791)
24) San Pedro Martír (1794)
25) Santa Catalina (1797)
26) El Descanso (site founded ~1810, new mission built 1830)
27) Guadalupe del Norte (1834)

These selected missions include:
the first 4 California missions (all founded by the Jesuits),
the furthest north stone mission on the peninsula,
the first Franciscan (Fr. Serra) founded California mission,
the first 3 Dominican founded California missions,
the last mission founded in all the Californias and
the last operating California mission.

Mexitron - 8-17-2015 at 08:37 AM

Nice going David---working in Baja!

ehall - 8-17-2015 at 08:48 AM

Wow. That's quite a trip. Thanks for posting the map.

David K - 8-17-2015 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Wow. That's quite a trip. Thanks for posting the map.

Yes indeed... if all goes per plan: 15 mission sites, 2 mine/ghost town sites, 2 rock art sites, a fossil grotto, several museums, relax time at Playa Ligüí, wine tasting... So Much Baja... in just 10 days!

It could be a great introduction trip to newbies wishing to see and experience these places and see what is across the border and way beyond. I will be describing lots of other sites and how to get to them as we are driving for any future trips by our guests.

For the experienced Baja traveler (most of you who post on Nomad), it could be a way to enjoy Baja without having to drive or worry about the details... and we can have some fun conversations when we aren't just enjoying the view!

The tour looks like it is a full package deal, rooms, meals, transportation, and more. A good deal if you want a Baja history and backcountry immersion... See the links...

ADCELAND - 8-17-2015 at 08:34 PM

Great trip...... meet us in some mission of baja sur......:):):)

congratulation David

Debra - 8-17-2015 at 08:41 PM

Holy molly!!!!!~

Only you can keep up a Baja pace like this itin.! Those 7am breakfasts wore me out just reading it!

Really folks............having been on a David K. tour of this sort in 2001, you would have a great time and learn more about missions and Baja in general than you ever thought there was to know.

Have a great time David and group, I know you will!

Debra - 8-17-2015 at 08:55 PM

Oh yeah............

Can your group get ahold of Baja Atlas's (almanacs)?? you know the one I'm talking about. I still treasure mine with the notes and red marker itin. you wrote into mine. After I returned home and looked at it again and again, I learned so much more about where I had just been. Of course, I have that love of maps as you do.

David K - 8-17-2015 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Debra  
Oh yeah............

Can your group get ahold of Baja Atlas's (almanacs)?? you know the one I'm talking about. I still treasure mine with the notes and red marker itin. you wrote into mine. After I returned home and looked at it again and again, I learned so much more about where I had just been. Of course, I have that love of maps as you do.

Hi Travelpearl! Great to see you here...
Thanks for the nice words...
Yes, you and other Nomads (Amigos then) were on one of my first tours, and the first Viva Baja 4WD Tour Van (owned by Amo Pescar) test run tour, July, 2001 (also with us: El Camote, Desert Rat, David Eidell, and along with us were Mike/Mary Ann/ Miguelito Humfreville). Others were with us some of the time, such as Neal Johns, Desert Bull, and more: http://vivabaja.com/van1

Oh, Debra... did you read this article, about our guide one of the days?: http://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/jesus_flo...

Hope all is well with you and your family... How big Brendon must be now???

The current or last (2009) Baja Almanac Map Book is available from Baja Bound and Discover Baja, last I knew.

[Edited on 8-18-2015 by David K]

desertcpl - 9-2-2015 at 04:48 PM

good going on your new adventure,,,

you certainly have done your home work over the years

wishing you a big success

Archie - 9-27-2015 at 09:41 AM

I guess you didnt know, but one thing are the permits for baja tours to operate, and a different thing is the permit for you to work as a certified tour guide.
Thats assuming you are certified as a tourist guide, but that alone does not grant a work permit in Mexico

Otherwise you are breaking at least 4 municipal laws (Rosarito, Ensenada, Mulege and Loreto) two state (BC and BCS) and quite a few federal laws.

David K - 9-27-2015 at 09:56 AM

Thank you for your interest in learning more about California's early history! If you are not joining the tour, perhaps obtain one of my books to get you many of the details we will go over. It just won't be as good as being there with us!

1) The tour operator has been doing Baja tours for many years, it is not his (Baja Custom Tours) first rodeo. He does whale watching tours annually, lately with Nomad Graham Mackintosh along as a guide.

2) I am a pretty good source for Baja history and locations having been traveling in Baja since 1965, published 3 books about Baja and numerous magazine and online articles.

3) I was very clear with both the organizer (Discover Baja Travel Club) and the tour van operator (Baja Custom Tours) that I wanted to be sure we were not violating any laws or if we needed work permits. I was assured by both companies (who have been doing Baja tours for many years, and bringing lots of money to Baja businesses and families), that all points were covered. The tour begins and ends inside the United States.

I hope I answered any concerns you have and let's all promote travel to Baja California as being a fun safe adventure. The economy of the peninsula could sure use a boost! Often people go on tours first to get comfortable with traveling to a new area and then return many times in the future on their own.

rts551 - 9-27-2015 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Archie  
I guess you didnt know, but one thing are the permits for baja tours to operate, and a different thing is the permit for you to work as a certified tour guide.
Thats assuming you are certified as a tourist guide, but that alone does not grant a work permit in Mexico

Otherwise you are breaking at least 4 municipal laws (Rosarito, Ensenada, Mulege and Loreto) two state (BC and BCS) and quite a few federal laws.

I brought this up earlier and he blew it off. It is the responsibility of the individual to have a work permit... It is the responsibility of the company to ensure that happens. Tour guides require a special permit. The fines (deportation not withstanding) are substantial. Even if you leave from the US, the question is are you working while in Mexico. I guess if you fly under the radar you might get away with it. Then again, Mexican officials quiet regularly check the internet for info.

Not our problem Archie, but good you brought it up again.

Ken Cooke - 9-27-2015 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Is it just me you are concerned about because I didn't see this reaction when Graham talked about his whale watching trips?

Don't worry yourself, David. Just keep doing what you do.

[Edited on 9-27-2015 by Ken Cooke]

Archie - 9-27-2015 at 02:48 PM

I am happy to have whatever is required to ride in a van and talk about my Baja travels and my Baja mission research. There is no Mexican citizen (or American) that can do that, so I am not depriving anyone of an income and because of this I will be bringing thousands of dollars to Baja people.

This is a screen capture of the list with the certified guides from BCS, they are certified as naturalist, general and heritage and history guides. Thats their the credentials, and believe me, it takes more than a couple of trips to baja to get one.

The complete list is here:

http://www.sitcabo.com/guias-certificados

There is a Directory of certified local tourist guides for every state of Mexico and specialized tourist guides for specific activities updated to 2015:

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BASE-GUI...

They all have to complete a protocol not just on knowledge of the subject or experiences, its based on two federal norms. In case you wonder what that means, here you go:

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/NOM-08-T...

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/NOM-09-T...

Here you have the specific requirements to be a certified guide

Ignorance of the law excuses not.

norte - 9-27-2015 at 03:10 PM

So if you want to question someone's credentials do you go to SECTUR (secretary of Tourism)? Like verification of a quide for cave paintings in Sierra San Francisco. or on these ECO-Tour vans etc.

Immigration would have authority in the case we have here to deport the offender. I wonder what authority SETUR has?

[Edited on 9-27-2015 by norte]

dtbushpilot - 9-27-2015 at 03:41 PM

Look on the bright side David, looks like you have a new member in your fan club.

CortezBlue - 9-27-2015 at 03:57 PM

Sounds like an anchor "cry" baby

chuckie - 9-27-2015 at 04:16 PM

Uses the word "my" a lot....

LancairDriver - 9-27-2015 at 04:39 PM

Sounds like the rantings of a typical jealous, hate consumed progressive who just took a break from peering over the fence into his neighbors back yard to see if that wandering Racoon might be an illegal pet and worthy of calling in the wrath of the proper authority's to preferably show up with the SWAT team. Some people have difficulty minding their own business.
Hopefully DK will not waste time explaining anything to these trolls and proceed with the tour. Enjoy the tour and Baja as I'm sure you will David.

Quote: Originally posted by Archie  

I brought this up earlier and he blew it off. It is the responsibility of the individual to have a work permit... It is the responsibility of the company to ensure that happens. Tour guides require a special permit. The fines (deportation not withstanding) are substantial. Even if you leave from the US, the question is are you working while in Mexico. I guess if you fly under the radar you might get away with it. Then again, Mexican officials quiet regularly check the internet for info.

Not our problem Archie, but good you brought it up again.

Ken Cooke - 9-27-2015 at 05:45 PM

David did a great job explaining information related to the Pole Line Road and the Lost Diaz Grave on my April 2015 Baja Pole Line Run.

(John M, TW, and David K - left to rt)

David has great navigational skills, he has Baja history memorized, and I'm sure his tour will benefit from the expertise he will bring to the table.

rts551 - 9-27-2015 at 07:24 PM

Thank you Ken... You know me well, and even though we are of different political preferences, that has never interfered with our close friendship or desire to camp together in Baja!

It has to be how I voice (or type in this case) my data that is heard (read) differently by some... and almost always people who have never met me in person.

I am truly sorry that I come across as an irritant to some folks, and always (it seems) to those with extreme, pro-big government beliefs(?). Unlike some here, I am not trying to be negative, only helpful or 'extra detailed', which has always been my nature.

Can folks ever just say I am wrong if they think so, without the nasty name-calling or insults? As far as this trip is concerned... it still isn't a green light, we have 2 to 5 more seats available to make it a go. If we can't do it this year, then there is next, and more time for folks to plan. 10 days is a long time and some folks need more advance notice than Discover Baja had provided when deciding to do this tour.

No biggie! I am doing this because I love the history of Old California (which is Baja) and I love people who also enjoy the outdoors and Baja California. Those of you who never met me, and think you know me, you don't (apparently) because my motives are for the betterment of knowledge and helping bring more business to Baja California residents. Also, I was assured that the tour organizer has ALL the proper permits and that I needed nothing more than any other person doing the same thing. Believe me, I asked... I know how tough some of you are, if for no other reason than to find fault in anything I do!!! LOL!

You always knew what was required to work in Mexico. You just chose to define work in your own way. Now you know what the requirements are for a Tour Guide. Are you still sure all the permits are in order?

rts551 - 9-27-2015 at 08:05 PM

Ask Graham, I am just doing what he has already done many times for the same company and when I called Graham to ask about them, he gave me gold star ratings for the highest standard of credibility.

That is good enough for me, I have known Graham for 25 years now.

I also was told tonight from another tour operator who contacted me that it is all good, as per the law in Mexico about American based tour companies.

I know you won't be happy until I am dead or gone from Nomad, so it is pointless to argue with you more Ralph. This is the classified ads section, not a discussion forum. If you sell something here, I will not spend post after post trying to ruin it for you.

#1 Quit whining. I asked nicely what was a simple question.

#2 If you get in trouble, no one ruined it but yourself.

mtgoat666 - 9-27-2015 at 08:35 PM

Dk, in this case I think your critics are wrong. That said, you do bring it on yourself.. If you would quit bellowing your politics, and quit attacking liberals, you might not generate such animosity. Just saying.

bajatrailrider - 9-27-2015 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Dk, in this case I think your critics are wrong. That said, you do bring it on yourself.. If you would quit bellowing your politics, and quit attacking liberals, you might not generate such animosity. Just saying.
Dam look who is talking,your kidding of course.

Tioloco - 9-27-2015 at 08:47 PM

David-
Who gives a shat what your detractors say? To each his own. There are many "legal" experts on all things Mexico here. Ha ha ha. Do what you are going to do and don't look back. Enjoy your trip.

Tioloco - 9-27-2015 at 08:49 PM

This reminds me of all of the negative posts related to when anyone tries selling a house in Baja. None of the negative posters have the means or the intent to do anything other than complain.

bajatrailrider - 9-27-2015 at 08:52 PM

This is so true.

LancairDriver - 9-27-2015 at 08:55 PM

Why would you even care if he's sure his permits are in order? You obviously would love to derail DK's tour for whatever sick reason. What makes you think he should even give you the time of day, let alone explain his permit status to you? Now go ahead and try to notify the the proper Mexican authorities if you haven't already and see where it goes.:?::?:

You always knew what was required to work in Mexico. You just chose to define work in your own way. Now you know what the requirements are for a Tour Guide. Are you still sure all the permits are in order?

bajatrailrider - 9-27-2015 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Why would you even care if he's sure his permits are in order? You obviously would love to derail DK's tour for whatever sick reason. What makes you think he should even give you the time of day, let alone explain his permit status to you? Now go ahead and try to notify the the proper Mexican authorities if you haven't already and see where it goes.:?::?:

rts551 what is it your bussiness,or are just sick in the head.David is one great guy,keep your useless thinking to yourself.

bajabuddha - 9-27-2015 at 09:06 PM

I for one am all in favor of DK's trip. It'll give BN a week's vacation too. I just feel sorry for all the people in the van; I had to listen to him rattle for just a few hours, but I had the opportunity to LEAVE.

Have fun, Davey. You know more than anyone, and you know it, too.

rts551 - 9-27-2015 at 09:16 PM

Time to rally the Hens in the chicken coup. Are you David"s caretaker? if so,[img][/img]

you should be asking him the questions. Oh, and I have no interest in turning him in. He can get into trouble easily enough on his own.

[Edited on 9-28-2015 by rts551]

bajabuddha - 9-28-2015 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I for one am all in favor of DK's trip. It'll give BN a week's vacation too. I just feel sorry for all the people in the van; I had to listen to him rattle for just a few hours, but I had the opportunity to LEAVE.

We have never met and I have never rattled for hours anyplace. I will be avaliable to answer questions and point out sites as we drive by. If you saw me on TV last year lecturing about the missions at Santo Domingo and El Rosario, you will see I can do each in under a minute. I will let Baja speak to her visitors as she spoke to me so many years ago.

Don't you remember??? It was your twin Doppelganger that sat at BV and talked non-stop about your wonderful Baja adventures; truth is, you never met ME..... didn't take the time out for it. Even my better half recognizes you. No loss on my part though, all's forgiven.

ehall - 9-28-2015 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
David-
Who gives a shat what your detractors say? To each his own. There are many "legal" experts on all things Mexico here. Ha ha ha. Do what you are going to do and don't look back. Enjoy your trip.

X2 have fun.

bajatrailrider - 9-28-2015 at 09:10 AM

Time to rally the Hens in the chicken coup. Are you David"s caretaker? if so,[img][/img]

you should be asking him the questions. Oh, and I have no interest in turning him in. He can get into trouble easily enough on his own.

[Edited on 9-28-2015 by rts551]
The un official permit police.;D

CortezBlue - 9-28-2015 at 10:55 AM

Also, I am not sure that there will be any room in the van after placing his HORN in the cargo area. And then when he has to drag to the front of the van to blow it!

rts551 - 9-28-2015 at 12:11 PM

Don't forget room for the chicken coop. Can't go anywhere without the hens.

Kencito - 9-28-2015 at 12:52 PM

David, Very few people have contributed as much as you have to understanding and promoting Baja's missions. You have a lot of knowledge and enthusiasm to share. I hope you have a great trip and adventure. Even though we're politically speaking in different camps I always thought you deserved some sort of official recognition from the Mexican government for all of your life-long reporting and documentation of Baja exploration. Maybe some day you will.
Happy trails.

David K - 9-28-2015 at 02:17 PM

Mil Gracias!

bajabuddha - 9-28-2015 at 02:36 PM

BV?
I never stayed anywhere called BV.
The only campfire chats occur on Shell Island with family and friends. Again, I don't chat for long periods except to answer questions or do historical lectures like our Old Missions powerpoint shows we are invited to do.

BV? The only time I was at Buenaventura was with my wife and we ate outside at the table, alone once and with Mark once. We ate and went back to our camp. July 2009. It was our anniversary. We stopped by again in July 2012 and 2 months ago. No other customers were there. July is too hot for most. We are not drinkers or bar hoppers beyond getting a beer and going back to camp.

So let me get this straight; a guy who looks EXACTLY like you and a woman who looks EXACTLY like your wife sat at the bar talking with (to) Mark, and I even remember the conversation about Baja websites.... especially Quest, which you still post on (in your space helmet and suit, which I find most apropos) and how you were touting Nomads very strongly and claiming to be "the #2 guy on the site", and also claiming to be one of the original members and having the most posts, and help "run the site" (you're always 'helping', aren't you?)... and you're saying i'm mistaken because you don't remember someone else EVER being there when you were there? OK, Pinocchio. I'm just making this all up because I'M delusional... you're still as full of yourself as you were then, just like your palm trees.....
haven't changed a lick in 50 years. :smug: :no: :yawn:

TMW - 9-28-2015 at 03:44 PM

BV?
I never stayed anywhere called BV.
The only campfire chats occur on Shell Island with family and friends. Again, I don't chat for long periods except to answer questions or do historical lectures like our Old Missions powerpoint shows we are invited to do.

BV? The only time I was at Buenaventura was with my wife and we ate outside at the table, alone once and with Mark once. We ate and went back to our camp. July 2009. It was our anniversary. We stopped by again in July 2012 and 2 months ago. No other customers were there. July is too hot for most. We are not drinkers or bar hoppers beyond getting a beer and going back to camp.

So let me get this straight; a guy who looks EXACTLY like you and a woman who looks EXACTLY like your wife sat at the bar talking with (to) Mark, and I even remember the conversation about Baja websites.... especially Quest, which you still post on (in your space helmet and suit, which I find most apropos) and how you were touting Nomads very strongly and claiming to be "the #2 guy on the site", and also claiming to be one of the original members and having the most posts, and help "run the site" (you're always 'helping', aren't you?)... and you're saying i'm mistaken because you don't remember someone else EVER being there when you were there? OK, Pinocchio. I'm just making this all up because I'M delusional... you're still as full of yourself as you were then, just like your palm trees.....
haven't changed a lick in 50 years. :smug: :no: :yawn:

You come off as a nut job. Take your marbles and go home.

CortezBlue - 9-28-2015 at 03:53 PM

Bajabuddha
You are treading on thin ice. The problem with David Kia, is that going to Baja since 196? something is the one and only achievement in his life that has amounted to anything. So, imagine that this site is the apex of achievement in your life.

He is fast to correct everyone but the minute anyone gives any comments about anything, you will be censored. It is sad and you have to accept the situation and do as I have done and stay out of it.

Think of him as the "special" child in the grade school class who has cancer or some issue that makes him "special!"

Cheer him on and leave it at that.

rts551 - 9-28-2015 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Bajabuddha
You are treading on thin ice. The problem with David Kia, is that going to Baja since 196? something is the one and only achievement in his life that has amounted to anything. So, imagine that this site is the apex of achievement in your life.

He is fast to correct everyone but the minute anyone gives any comments about anything, you will be censored. It is sad and you have to accept the situation and do as I have done and stay out of it.

Think of him as the "special" child in the grade school class who has cancer or some issue that makes him "special!"

Cheer him on and leave it at that.

Sad but true.

bajabuddha - 9-28-2015 at 04:45 PM

I concur. My forehead is a little sore as of late; but do not call me a liar when it just ain't so.

And TMW, you've obviously lost yours, and you can kiss mine. :P

David K - 9-28-2015 at 04:59 PM

NOTE:
This is an advertisement (note the location of the post) for a tour I hope I will be on. My duty is to answer questions about things I have personally experienced in the 50 years since my first Baja trip or that I have researched and written about, such as the history of the Spanish occupation of the peninsula.

If you are not interested in going, why fling mud? I won't be talking endlessly, but answering questions and pointing out interesting stories of items we see. That's what happens on tours.

I will let the Nomads who have camped with me many times confirm that. Some have spent time with me (TMW, Ken Cooke, and this year I camped with ehall and bajatrailrider). The only people who are speaking ill of me have NEVER met me or in your case, never introduced themselves and had a conversation with me... just assumed.

Have you seen the big Nomad off road trip we enjoyed the next year, going to Mission Santa María... good times (except for Neal Johns breaking down, but even that worked out): http://vivabaja.com/msm2010 or the trip report here on Nomad. If I was the jerk you like to make me sound like, then there wouldn't be the good friendships made. Baja Tripper (who was on that trip with his wife) invited us to spend time at his home in La Paz, 2 years later, and it was great. Who wants a jerk to be around his home or in his car for several days?

[Edited on 10-1-2015 by David K]

LancairDriver - 9-28-2015 at 05:22 PM

David, so far you have an delusional Alzheimer's victim who had a dream that he saw you somewhere and overheard a conversation you may have had with someone somewhere. He remains confused and unconvinced as normal for him. This will not change. He will respond in his usual amusing fashion.

Also a habitual pot stirrer who would love to spoil your tour for yourself and everyone else. What kind of satisfaction can he possibly gain?

And then we have a clairvoyant who has somehow judged you a non achiever, when he himself probably never accomplished a thing in his life other having weight and occupying space and posting derogatory remarks on Nomads. (I am using the same logic in judging him as he obviously used in his judging of you.)

It is sad to see how a simple post promoting a Baja tour has devolved into the usual name calling and childish playground behavior initiated constantly by the same losers.You don't have to look to far back in the thread to see who pushed it off track.

Please take the high road and quit wasting your time trying to explain anything to these losers. The majority of us understand.

mtgoat666 - 9-28-2015 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

Also, I am not sure that there will be any room in the van after placing his HORN in the cargo area. And then when he has to drag to the front of the van to blow it!

The horn will probably fit in the trailer with his high horse.

Yee haw!

;D:lol:

bajabuddha - 9-28-2015 at 05:46 PM

David, so far you have an delusional Alzheimer's victim who had a dream that he saw you somewhere and overheard a conversation you may have had with someone somewhere. He remains confused and unconvinced as normal for him. This will not change. He will respond in his usual amusing fashion.

Also a habitual pot stirrer who would love to spoil your tour for yourself and everyone else. What kind of satisfaction can he possibly gain?

And then we have a clairvoyant who has somehow judged you a non achiever, when he himself probably never accomplished a thing in his life other having weight and occupying space and posting derogatory remarks on Nomads. (I am using the same logic in judging him as he obviously used in his judging of you.)

It is sad to see how a simple post promoting a Baja tour has devolved into the usual name calling and childish playground behavior initiated constantly by the same losers.You don't have to look to far back in the thread to see who pushed it off track.

Please take the high road and quit wasting your time trying to explain anything to these losers. The majority of us understand.

Hey, Big Trucker:

Do tell, how is your post any different than mine? :lol:

Delusional Alzheimer's victim? At least my intelligence knows the difference between "a" and "an delusional...". Rhoids acting up lately? Pass your CDL?

"The Majority Of Us..." Bck-GAWK!"

rts551 - 9-28-2015 at 05:51 PM

After all the denials...It was dark so he did not know it was a bar...hahahaha.

bajabuddha - 9-28-2015 at 09:17 PM

"You like being invisible, and since I never saw you there, you succeeded. Next time be friendly and introduce yourself."

... I was sitting almost next to you... a stool or two down. As I said, you were too busy. All my fault.

"I have not posted on Baja Quest in ages...'' 8/14/2014 you were the last poster on this topic, still HEADLINER.... but still, as always, "just trying to help". Ages...... a year and 2 months, and still one of the last posters.

As far as 'anonymity' is concerned, I value my privacy. I don't need to be known by everybody for everything and adulated as a demigod; I'm just not that narcissistic. David, as said a thousand times by a hundred people, if you'd stick to what you do well, you'd have your fame. Quit politics, quit calling us all dummies for not listening to your ideologies, and measure palm trees, beaches, and Catholic Temples to your little heart's content. I truly hope you get your first van filled. I need a week off, too.

dtbushpilot - 9-28-2015 at 09:31 PM

23 posts in the last 24 hours. I know "today's posts" would indicate the last 24 hours but I guess not. I wonder why nobody bothers to post anything worthwhile any more.....don't bother, it was a rhetorical question......

rts551 - 9-29-2015 at 12:02 AM

bump

CortezBlue - 9-30-2015 at 09:29 AM

Special K

Bump

bezzell - 9-30-2015 at 09:31 AM

BUMP !!!

(c'mon, there's got to be some chronic-insomnia sufferers out there that would benefit greatly from this 'tour' !?)

rts551 - 9-30-2015 at 05:02 PM

Come on...there has got to be two more... at $2500 apiece.... I want to go to San Ignacio (its close) and see if he is just there to answer questions or if he really does rattle on with a spiel. I have not had the honor to listen before....I will this time if we can just get another $5000 out there.

David K - 9-30-2015 at 05:26 PM

The tour operator and Discover Baja posted the price as $2,095 pp/ double occupancy. Add $300 if single... that's 10 days transportation, 3 meals a day, 9 nights at great places like Costa del Sol in L.A. Bay, La Huerta in San Ignacio and Baja Cactus in El Rosario, etc. oh, and a copy of our book! If you want to add $400, that's up to you?

Itinerary:

Day 1 – Departure from San Diego 8am and drive East to Tecate, south through Valle de Guadalupe, visit Misión Guadalupe and Museo, lunch, visit Misión Santo Tomas ruins with lecture, arrive hotel Baja Cactus in El Rosario, Dinner at Mama Espinoza’s.

Day 2 – 7am breakfast, visit Misión El Rosario, Las Pintas Fossil Grotto and Rock Art with field lunch, El Marmol onyx mine site, arrive Hotel Mision Cataviña, dinner at Hotel and after dinner campfire social.

Day 3 – 7am breakfast at hotel in Cataviña, drive to San Ignacio, lunch in San Ignacio, tour Mission and Museo, Motel La Huerta, dinner in San Ignacio.

Day 4 – 7am breakfast in San Ignacio, drive south to Loreto, visit Misión de Santa Rosalia de Mulegé, lunch in Mulegé, visit ruins of visita San Juan Bautista Londo, arrive at Hotel Coco Cabañas in Loreto, dinner in Loreto.

Day 5 – Breakfast in Loreto, tour Loreto Mission and Museo, drive to Misión San Javier and tour, lunch in San Javier, free time in Loreto, dinner in Loreto.

Day 6 – Day at Beach at Playa Ligui, visit Misión Ligui, field lunch, visit Puerto Escondido, free time in Loreto, dinner in Loreto.

Day 7 – 7am breakfast in Loreto, drive north to Misión Santa Gertrudis and oasis with lunch in Bonfil, drive to Hotel Caracoles in Guerrero Negro, dinner at Mario’s Palapa.

Day 8 – 7am breakfast in Guerrero Negro, drive to Misión San Borja, field lunch, lunch in Bahia de Los Angeles, visit Mina Las Flores, tour the Museo de Bahia de Los Angeles, return to motel Costa del Sol, seafood buffet dinner!

Day 9 – 7am breakfast, visit Montevideo rock art site, lunch in Cataviña, visit Misión San Fernando, visit 2nd El Rosario Mission, and arrive Motel Las Jardines in San Quintin, dinner in San Quintin.

Day 10 – 7am breakfast, visit Misión Santo Domingo, lunch in San Vicente, visit Misión San Vicente, drive to Valle de Guadalupe for wine tasting at Monte Xanic, cross border at Tecate, drive to San Diego.

[Edited on 10-1-2015 by David K]

rts551 - 9-30-2015 at 05:36 PM

The tour operator and Discover Baja posted the price as $2,095 pp/ double occupancy. Add $300 if single... that's 10 days transportation, 3 meals a day, 9 nights at great places like Costa del Sol in L.A. Bay, La Huerta in San Ignacio and Baja Cactus in El Rosario, etc. oh, and a copy of our book! If you want to add $400, that's up to you?

2095+300= 2395 + 20 something for permit...Plus tip or what ever...real close to 2500 as far as I can see.... but no problem....I haven't seen where anyone from the coop has signed up... come on folks...only 2 more...

$250 a day plus incidentals (drinks are not included) ...and you can ask david questions...he is not really a guide or anything...he is just along for the ride and available for questions.

I am trying david.

KaceyJ - 9-30-2015 at 08:29 PM

What an unfortunate turn to a thread ,

something good turned into a b-tch contest down on an innocent trying to do a simple service

-and otherwise never a word about the daily tacky finger crookers here

How's that work anyway?

funny , my perception is many (not all ) but many , down on DK, are also the ones I perceive to be the myopic board dopers/and or alkies. you know , just your syntax and all

jmhoo

what a major turn off to this forum

"they" won't see that though

are all you downers just dying or close to it and have nothing but your keyboard left?

I'd say get a life but that probably is not possible so you take it out on others

what a shame:no:

sorry

bajatrailrider - 9-30-2015 at 09:14 PM

There is another way to look at this,Of all the people that write here.At best 3/4 marooons.If they came to my town they would be tar and feathered. Good Luck David hope to see you soon.Sorry about the few losers, Don't pay attention to them or answer them.The rest can answer the marooons for you.Have a good successful trip.Your good at what you do,and treat people good.

BeemerDan - 9-30-2015 at 09:19 PM

2095+300= 2395 + 20 something for permit...Plus tip or what ever...real close to 2500 as far as I can see.... but no problem....I haven't seen where anyone from the coop has signed up... come on folks...only 2 more...

$250 a day plus incidentals (drinks are not included) ...and you can ask david questions...he is not really a guide or anything...he is just along for the ride and available for questions.

I am trying david.

Why don't you just grow he hell up?
All you miserable little pricks that like to trash a fellow human being. and use your politics as an excuse to bash a fellow Baja Nomad are insane.
If any of you in the Anti David camp got your ass in a sling, I'd bet he would be the 1st with a map to help get you outta there

LancairDriver - 9-30-2015 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

I am trying david.

All you miserable little pricks that like to trash a fellow human being. and use your politics as an excuse to bash a fellow Baja Nomad are insane.
If any of you in the Anti David camp got your ass in a sling, I'd bet he would be the 1st with a map to help get you outta there

Well Stated. Sad, what a pathetic existence this group of bashers have. Just hanging out by the keyboard waiting to strike.

BajaRat - 9-30-2015 at 11:20 PM

I am trying david.

Well Stated. Sad, what a pathetic existence this group of bashers have. Just hanging out by the keyboard waiting to strike.

I don't see ANY new Saints on this thread, just glass houses :(

bajatrailrider - 10-1-2015 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  

I am trying david.

I don't see ANY new Saints on this thread, just glass houses :(
;D

Bashers are pathetic

John M - 10-1-2015 at 03:19 PM

The bashers on this thread seem to get some sort of self-gratification with their negative and cowardly comments.

It's amazing that almost any thread turns this way and, a lot of the time by the same haters.

Too bad for Baja Nomad

John M

mojo_norte - 10-1-2015 at 07:14 PM

the anti bashers are almost as boring as the bashers - sign up for the trip - or shut up - bump !

LaTijereta - 10-2-2015 at 08:06 AM

Just be sure to get in the right van...

BUMP..

David K - 10-2-2015 at 08:14 AM

Hi Kris, the one we would use is a 4WD van, however.

Very similar to the one Amo Pescar bought that I piloted on the 2001 Viva Baja Tour...

Here it is at Alfonsina's:

We may not be going, alas two riders short of the min. needed. I think today is the cut off?

BajaRat - 10-2-2015 at 06:54 PM

Good Luck David,
I hope you guys can work out the bugs, sounds like a cool trip.
Bump, Lionel

MMc - 10-2-2015 at 06:58 PM

I hope you can do more of these.

CortezBlue - 10-2-2015 at 10:14 PM

Special K Bump

bajatrailrider - 10-3-2015 at 09:38 AM

More Bumps David

bajabuddha - 10-3-2015 at 05:30 PM

DK, did you actually buy a seat on this trip, or did you get comp'd for being the "color commentator" for the tour? If you only need one seat to fill the tour, you'd still get your pay-off, a Baja trip with an avid audience....... just sayin'.........

Bump-Ba-Da-Bump-Bump........ BUMP-BUMMPP !! :light:

Pages:  1