BajaNomad

Best ipad app for baja maps?

juandesiles - 9-8-2015 at 07:09 PM

Hi,

i'm looking for an APP for my ipad
Baja Maps that will work off line.
thanx

mjs - 9-8-2015 at 08:05 PM

Cartografia E32 maps are now available for I-Pad / I-Phone. Search the iTunes store.

Alm - 9-8-2015 at 08:14 PM

What maps... There is just one road there :biggrin:

Desertbull - 9-9-2015 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Cartografia E32 maps are now available for I-Pad / I-Phone. Search the iTunes store.

E32 is NOT available as of yet for the iPad and iPhone.

I spoke with Omar from Cartografia this morning and he said the launch will be in the near future but it is not yet available. We have multiple license for E32 as the software / maps are only available for a single GPS unit and if you have multiples then you must have a license for each.

No doubt the best maps thus far of the Baja Peninsula.

Desertbull:cool:

mjs - 9-9-2015 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
Quote: Originally posted by mjs  

E32 is NOT available as of yet for the iPad and iPhone.

I spoke with Omar from Cartografia this morning and he said the launch will be in the near future but it is not yet available. We have multiple license for E32 as the software / maps are only available for a single GPS unit and if you have multiples then you must have a license for each.

No doubt the best maps thus far of the Baja Peninsula.

Desertbull:cool:

That's interesting. I received an email 2 days ago from Omar saying they were available. I don't use an iPad so didn't search the iTunes store to confirm.

LaTijereta - 9-9-2015 at 03:05 PM

Try "Motion X" app for apple... almost free :cool:

David K - 9-9-2015 at 04:10 PM

How about some links you can recommend for Smart Phone or GPS download?

stiladam - 9-9-2015 at 04:38 PM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cartografia-GPS-Mapa-E32/1170...

VegasNick - 9-9-2015 at 04:52 PM

I loaded Gaia on my iPad for our off road excursions. I loaded the satellite maps and TOP from there.

AKgringo - 9-9-2015 at 05:47 PM

Tell me more Nick! Are you saying that an I-Pad can be used off road with just a GPS signal? NO contract, or internet, or cell connection?

How about some of the lesser tablets, my needs (and tech skills) are limited. I would love to have a simple, inexpensive tablet that could function as a stand alone GPS.

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by AKgringo]

LaTijereta - 9-9-2015 at 06:30 PM

This app works with no cell connection..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8

VegasNick - 9-10-2015 at 12:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Tell me more Nick! Are you saying that an I-Pad can be used off road with just a GPS signal? NO contract, or internet, or cell connection?

How about some of the lesser tablets, my needs (and tech skills) are limited. I would love to have a simple, inexpensive tablet that could function as a stand alone GPS.

That is correct! I am co owner of a website that we do trail mapping on here in the states. (www.offroadtrailguide.com) We tested Gaia, Motion X, Trimble, Offline Topo, and a few others. We settled on Gaia for several reasons.

The free version does a lot but the subscription version allows you to layer maps. Say you wanted to overlay a Topo with satellite imagery, all you do is drag and drop. They have a cloud service that backs up all of your trail files and downloaded maps. All you do is download the maps you want ahead of time. I run a first gen wifi only iPad in my rig and use Gaia and a Dual GPS receiver and love it!

AKgringo - 9-10-2015 at 09:06 AM

Nick, thanks for the details! It looks like I don't need the latest, greatest, I-pad to make it work, so it should be affordable.

There are periods of time that my rig will be topless, so I try to keep the investment in tech at a level that wouldn't break the bank if I have to replace it.

LaTijereta - 9-10-2015 at 09:06 AM

BackCountry Nav Topo Maps GPS

This one works good for android phones.. Have used it on BajaSur trails and allows you to plot your trail waypoints on Google Earth then overlay them to the topo maps on BackCountry...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap...

willyAirstream - 9-10-2015 at 03:15 PM

I also use BackCountry Nav Topo Maps GPS and google earth on an Asus tablet for racing as well as exploring. Additional benefits of a tablet = camera on board, audio for camping, movies etc

jbcoug - 9-10-2015 at 07:47 PM

Thanks all, this is a very informative thread!

jbcoug - 9-10-2015 at 07:49 PM

Thanks all, this is a very informative thread!

Update on E32. Baja GPS for I-pad.

vgabndo - 9-18-2019 at 10:01 PM

I just downloaded the E32 GPS map App. from Apple to an old I-pod 3 for free. Clicked open and presto. There was the icon at my house.

pacsur - 9-19-2019 at 05:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I use my iPad at home with WiFi to load and share maps, tracks, and routes with my iPhone, but I’m not sure an iPad will work the way you want unless it is also cellular capable, it doesn’t need to be turned on but the guts need to be in there just like a phone.

Whiskey Witch - 9-19-2019 at 06:23 AM

Pacsur is correct. If you want to have GPS functionality on an iPad when you are off grid, it must be the type that is cellular enabled. (the non cellular-capable iPads are a bit cheaper.) You don't need to put a cell chip in it for the GPS to work. Many Apple geniuses don't know this. We like to use the free maps.me app while boating in the Sea.

Bajazly - 9-19-2019 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
Pacsur is correct. If you want to have GPS functionality on an iPad when you are off grid, it must be the type that is cellular enabled.

Well, not actually. What you need is an external blue tooth gps antenna. That is what I use with Gaia and it works very well.

Sometimes the next day when getting going again you need to reconnect the iPad to the antenna via BT and that can be annoying if you are recording a track but other than that it is pretty seamless.

JZ - 9-19-2019 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
Pacsur is correct. If you want to have GPS functionality on an iPad when you are off grid, it must be the type that is cellular enabled.

Well, not actually. What you need is an external blue tooth gps antenna. That is what I use with Gaia and it works very well.

Sometimes the next day when getting going again you need to reconnect the iPad to the antenna via BT and that can be annoying if you are recording a track but other than that it is pretty seamless.

No, he was correct. It can be done with an external blue tooth gps, but that is very clunky. I.e. it's a whole other thing you need to setup, connect, and power.

Much better to pay a few extra bucks upfront and get a tablet with built in GPS.

TRAVISD - 9-20-2019 at 06:24 AM

I use this external GPS receiver with my iPad and Leadnav. Works great used it on many Baja trips.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS160-Multipurpose...

PaulW - 9-20-2019 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by juandesiles  
Hi,

i'm looking for an APP for my ipad
Baja Maps that will work off line.
thanx

=== ===
Depends on the detail you want to see. Back country roads and trails maps are not common on apps for Baja. Having said that why not load free apps that allow for offline use. Google maps and Maps.me come to mind and both do an excellent job of showing enough detail to get you to most common places. Your device has an internal GPS to show you where you are on the map. Both apps work on all platforms, IOS and Android, phones and tablets. It will take you a bit of time to download the maps you want to use for the area of interest. Please do these two apps before trying other complicated apps. I suspect you will be pleased.
If you want to become an off roader with maps with great detail with trails seldom used then you will need to get a real GPS because Gps maps are always the most complete. Baja Gps maps are most complete from Garmin and from Murdocknav.com.
Do you plan on getting a tracker? Highly recommended so your friends and family can keep track of your travels. Extremely valuable for rescue and emergency situations. Lots of threads on how to choose a tracker. None are free and require purchase of a device and continuous subscription for satellite coverage.