BajaNomad

new guy...

advrider - 10-8-2015 at 12:11 PM

I've been riding Baja for years on a motorcycle but I am planning on my first camp trip with the wife in December. Looking at a night or two in SF, kiki's or rubens? Then down to Gonzaga bay, campo baluga? Any other ideas? We just picked up an Aussie swag trailer that we will be hauling down. Are the whales running that early in the year? Would it be worth the drive to San Ignacio? Not sure I want the wife to see the B&B that we usally stay at when ruffing it on our bikes!

motoged - 10-8-2015 at 12:29 PM

Welcome aboard.....

Kiki's is the better choice....rooms or tents if you don't have a camper trailer set-up.

Gonzaga beach camping has "tightened up" since your last trip, but other Nomads will give you better intel than I can.

ADVrider, eh?......

Here are some of my stories there....

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/she-slapped-me-with-li...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/baja-again-dos-pendejo...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/los-tres-pendejos-en-b...

advrider - 10-8-2015 at 12:36 PM

Our trailer is just an offroad tent trailer kind of thing, lite and simple. I have a few reports on ADV, i'll check your's out when I get home. They block me at work!!! Any and all info is good, thanks.

motoged - 10-8-2015 at 12:44 PM

Hmmmm.....they haven't blocked you on Nomads.....yet....:biggrin::saint:

advrider - 10-8-2015 at 12:54 PM

Not yet! Only a matter of time...Big brother is always watching....:fire:

[Edited on 10-8-2015 by advrider]

DENNIS - 10-8-2015 at 02:49 PM

You won't be blocked if you send me two cases of Pacifico. Room temp is OK.

bajabuddha - 10-8-2015 at 04:51 PM

December may be early for whales, and Guerrero (Ojo de Liebre) lagoon is closer than San Ignatz, with very nice palapa camping and restaurant (daylight hours) when the critters are in. Check here with Shari when your trip gets closer; she'll have the bestest answers for you then.

advrider - 10-8-2015 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

You won't be blocked if you send me two cases of Pacifico. Room temp is OK.

That is a tempting offer!!! And my kind of beer...

advrider - 10-8-2015 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
December may be early for whales, and Guerrero (Ojo de Liebre) lagoon is closer than San Ignatz, with very nice palapa camping and restaurant (daylight hours) when the critters are in. Check here with Shari when your trip gets closer; she'll have the bestest answers for you then.

I was thinking it as a little early for the whales. We usually ride down later in the year, Feb, mar. I will checkout Guerrero, I've been by but never stayed. It will be added to the list. Just gives me a reason to take the wife back next year and camp again. Thanks for all of the suggestions...

BigBearRider - 10-9-2015 at 05:14 PM

Mid-December is the start of the "official" whale watching season:

http://www.kuyima.com/whales/

advrider - 10-9-2015 at 07:41 PM

Good to know. Might have a chance to see a few then? Maybe not as good as late in the year but still worth the drive. I emailed Gary and Terri at the B&B and they said when the date gets closer they will have more info. Might get to see them yet? Thanks

shari - 10-10-2015 at 05:43 PM

well hola and welcome to the Nomad sandbox! If you are down in our neck of the desert in mid December, I would camp anyway at Ojo de Liebre...ya might see something from shore. Usually Mario's tours are the first company to take people out then...they are on the highway before you get into Guerrero Negro at Mario's Palapa just past the enormous flag. Check in when you get down and I can give you a whale report..ya never know.
And if you are this close, come and hang with us in Bahia Asuncion...of Advrider fame! bring your own Cheetohs! Look forward to meeting you.

advrider - 10-10-2015 at 07:18 PM

hanks or the info and invite! Look forward to meeting you..

advrider - 10-18-2015 at 07:00 PM

Few pictures of my camp setup, if you see us say hi!
Also wanted to see if I could post pics?

And open.....

inside.

Bed lifts up and has storage.

A few changes I made to the front. added a box for the battery, inverter and small solar panel.
Before.

After.

Next up California plates...

Thanks for looking.

[Edited on 10-19-2015 by advrider]

David K - 10-18-2015 at 07:10 PM

Great photo posting!
You need to fit a Baja sticker on there!

ehall - 10-19-2015 at 05:19 AM

Looks like a tough little trailer. You could probably drag that anywhere in Baja that you wanted to go.

advrider - 10-19-2015 at 06:56 AM

The Aussies know how to build some tuff stuff! Lite weight @ 750 lbs, it's easy to forget that you have it. Much better than tent camping. I dont think there are many in the US? Hope to get a bunch of Baja stickers on it over the next few years? Any advice for a first time surf fisher? I've done plenty of bass and trout fishing but very little ocean and no surf. I have a little hand me down gear from my grandfather that I want to try out. Is it best to get my fishing license on line?

DENNIS - 10-19-2015 at 07:14 AM

Nifty rig ya got there.

shari - 10-19-2015 at 09:11 AM

super cool rig all right...you dont need a fishing license to fish from shore but do need one in a kayak or boat...so yep getting it online is easier!

advrider - 10-19-2015 at 01:30 PM

So no license for shore fishing at all? What if I have fish in the cooler when I go through a check point? Just want to make sure I am legal and dont want to cheat the good people pf Baja out of any money. If I dont need a license I will spend the money on beer! Win,win.....

Bajahowodd - 10-20-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
well hola and welcome to the Nomad sandbox! If you are down in our neck of the desert in mid December, I would camp anyway at Ojo de Liebre...ya might see something from shore. Usually Mario's tours are the first company to take people out then...they are on the highway before you get into Guerrero Negro at Mario's Palapa just past the enormous flag. Check in when you get down and I can give you a whale report..ya never know.
And if you are this close, come and hang with us in Bahia Asuncion...of Advrider fame! bring your own Cheetohs! Look forward to meeting you.

Am I correct that Mario's does not go to the nature center, but rather out through the salt works?

advrider - 10-23-2015 at 07:42 AM

Getting a few more things finished up on the trailer. Trying to think of issues that might come up with camping in the sand? Made some sand anchors to take the place of stakes. (plywood that I can sink in the sand, to take place of stakes and tie off to). Reading all I can on surf fishing, I dont know anything! This place is a wealth of info!!

woody with a view - 10-23-2015 at 07:57 AM

to begin surf fishing keep in mind you only need to get the line out to waist deep or so. the fish are looking for sand crabs in ankle deep water (use these for bait) or get adventurous and dig some clams. just don't get caught with 100 clams and nobody cares, despite what others will say.

or buy some squid at a market and cast right into the boiler rocks near the points when the surf is flat. that's where the big calicos live. if your worried about snags buy some heavy washers or nuts at home depot and tie a granny knot so that the weight breaks off and you get your hook and 100' of line back.

if you have some Krocodile lures throw those into the surf and retrieve as well. you'll finger it out!

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by woody with a view]

shari - 10-23-2015 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Am I correct that Mario's does not go to the nature center, but rather out through the salt works?

Marios Tours which is located at the big palapa just past the huge flag at the state line north of Guerrero Negro...takes pangas out to the mouth of the lagoon...they leave from Chaparrito port where the salt barges also load and leave from. They do not operate in the inner lagoon where the Interpretive Center and restaurant is which is the Ejido Benito Juarez concession where I guide out of.

Early in the season which opens Dec.15th, more whales can be seen at the mouth than inside so if you are planning a whale trip before the new year, I recommend going out with Marios.

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by shari]

advrider - 10-23-2015 at 09:39 AM

Good info, Thanks. Is there any place to get bait in Gonzaga bay? I never noticed if the market sells it or not? Should I pick some up in SF before heading down? How is the drive out to Punta final? Anything good to see, worth the drive? I will be in a 4wd.

David K - 10-23-2015 at 10:03 AM

Not sure why, but Graham Mackintosh did not go to Punta Final to begin his kayak adventure to L.A. Bay. Mike Essary (who drove Graham to Gonzaga yesterday) posted on Facebook that there was some reason they could not do a Punta Final start? They went to Rancho Grande instead.

advrider - 10-23-2015 at 12:58 PM

Hmmm, Rancho grande is at the south end of Gonzaga bay, correct? I was looking at stuff in the area for day trips while we are camping,hiking,fishing.... Thanks

David K - 10-23-2015 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Hmmm, Rancho grande is at the south end of Gonzaga bay, correct? I was looking at stuff in the area for day trips while we are camping,hiking,fishing.... Thanks

Depends on what you consider "Gonzaga Bay". To most it is the entire two-bay complex that includes the original Bahía San Luis Gonzaga [which is the well sheltered natural harbor between Punta Willard (Papa Fernandez') and Alfonsina's (Isla San Luis Gonzaga)... that some call "Willard Bay"] and the larger, less sheltered Ensenada de San Francisquito, from Alfonsina's to Punta Final.

Rancho Grande is pretty much right in the middle, about 1 mile south of Alfonsina's Motel/Restaurant. Satellite map:

woody with a view - 10-23-2015 at 03:00 PM

if you can freeze bait for later then yes, get it NOB or SF or wherever. you won't find a fish market or supermarket except for legit towns-not bumps in the road.....

advrider - 10-23-2015 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for the map. Out of the areas on the map what is the best camp spot in your opinion? I will have my ARB fridge, so I will pick some up NOB.... Thanks

David K - 10-23-2015 at 03:44 PM

I think Camp Beluga is a nice option... it has flush toilets and showers a short walk from the palapas... the beach has some rocks, but is still mostly sand based.

Rancho Grande has better beach (no or less rocks), closer to the market, but may be dusty and more noise if a busy weekend?

Papa Fernandez' is mostly private homes, but over the hill of Punta Willard is their camping beach and many Nomads like it. A rope is opened by staff to let campers pass, so it is somewhat secure. The beach there is outside the bay on the gulf facing beach.

El Sacrificio has a restaurant now, we have been told... it is a cabin rental place, but allows camping.

advrider - 12-13-2015 at 01:23 PM

I have another camping question. I was thinking about a couple of nights in BOLA when we leave Gonzaga bay, is daggetts a good choice for camping in BOLA? Do they have bathrooms and showers? Cant wait the spend Christmas in Baja!!!!!!

bkbend - 12-13-2015 at 06:43 PM

Daggetts and Archelon next door are good shoices for camping with bathrooms and showers.

AKgringo - 12-13-2015 at 07:04 PM

The coyotes around those camps did not seem aggressive, but they are bold and sneaky! I had one raiding my camp one evening with a loud party going on fifty yards away.

I could have slammed it with my car door, but yelling at him seemed like a better idea!