BajaNomad

Weather Warning in Central Baja...flash flooding

shari - 10-10-2015 at 09:02 PM

Wow... today was a crazy weather day with the ocean looking like a washing machine with a big swell and high winds from the SE. The sky was a cacophony of colour and cloud at sunset and the lightning show tonight is really dramatic.

But tonight we had a deluge of rainfall with over 30 knots of wind and here in Asuncion it just clipped us. Dang it, there go my flowers and plants again!

According to the satellite, it looks like the Guerrero Negro area and Sta.Rosalia got it pretty bad and I hear there is flash flooding and landslides etc. so travelers beware! And this is just the beginning of the storm that is curving up towards central baja right now...tomorrow should get interesting. Make sure you check road conditions before setting out...looks like this bad boy is covering alot of the peninsula.,,be careful everyone

redhilltown - 10-10-2015 at 11:25 PM

Stay safe...but wow, great pics!!!!!!!

BajaBlanca - 10-11-2015 at 04:45 AM

we had a LOT of wind but not a lot of rain....there was a lightning show towards you Shari

lots of lightning but no thunder

There was hail in san Ignacio 2 days ago

Be safe everyone!

Mexitron - 10-11-2015 at 07:34 AM

Wow, never think of Baja getting big hail like that.

Meany - 10-11-2015 at 07:39 AM

Great Pictures Shari&Blanca. Looks like Baja is getting what California needs.

CaboSur - 10-11-2015 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Wow... today was a crazy weather day with the ocean looking like a washing machine with a big swell and high winds from the SE. The sky was a cacophony of colour and cloud at sunset and the lightning show tonight is really dramatic.

But tonight we had a deluge of rainfall with over 30 knots of wind and here in Asuncion it just clipped us. Dang it, there go my flowers and plants again!

According to the satellite, it looks like the Guerrero Negro area and Sta.Rosalia got it pretty bad and I hear there is flash flooding and landslides etc. so travelers beware! And this is just the beginning of the storm that is curving up towards central baja right now...tomorrow should get interesting. Make sure you check road conditions before setting out...looks like this bad boy is covering alot of the peninsula.,,be careful everyone

Great Photos!!! Had rain off and on all day Saturday here in Los Cabos. The skies are rumbling again this morning and the rain continues.

bajabuddha - 10-11-2015 at 08:04 AM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/flash-rb.html

Looks like South Cape is getting the worst; this is a BEEEEG storm!

bajalinda - 10-11-2015 at 08:27 AM

We've had light rain off and on here since around 5AM yesterday morning. Expecting it to continue into Monday. The countryside is looking beautifully green!

Whale-ista - 10-11-2015 at 08:55 AM

Send it north!

shari - 10-11-2015 at 09:13 AM

Looks like the cape is getting pummeled today too....sheesh. Not much rain last night but started raining again now this morning and the wind is gusting around 30 knots with the swell building more...super dramatic out here at the point! wicked storm all right...so much for our fishing charters the next few days...krikey!

SFandH - 10-11-2015 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Send it north!

It's coming in the form of heat and humidity. :(

I say: Keep it south! ;)

[Edited on 10-11-2015 by SFandH]

vandenberg - 10-11-2015 at 09:42 AM

Prediction was for 100% chance of rain here in Nopolo. Thus far, not a drop.

monoloco - 10-11-2015 at 11:57 AM

Looks like the cape is getting pummeled today too....sheesh. Not much rain last night but started raining again now this morning and the wind is gusting around 30 knots with the swell building more...super dramatic out here at the point! wicked storm all right...so much for our fishing charters the next few days...krikey!
We've had a fairly steady, light to moderate rain for the last 24 hours.

bajabuddha - 10-11-2015 at 03:00 PM

Be careful for what you wish for........

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/el-nino-fueled-october-t...

pauldavidmena - 10-11-2015 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
We've had a fairly steady, light to moderate rain for the last 24 hours.

Welcome back! :cool:

SFandH - 10-11-2015 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Be careful for what you wish for........

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/el-nino-fueled-october-t...

Lots of news about this year's El Nino.

Google News Link

Cisco - 10-11-2015 at 04:13 PM

Could part of this be explained by the anthropogenic climate change thing I read about?

OOOPPS!

I'm otta here.

monoloco - 10-11-2015 at 05:01 PM

It's been raining harder for the last 3 hours, with no sign of letting up. I suspect that if this keeps up all night, there will be some major flooding.

vandenberg - 10-11-2015 at 07:35 PM

Finally got some of that promised rain. Started 10 minutes ago and is coming down in buckets. Hope it last for a while.

Tod - 10-11-2015 at 08:31 PM

We drove from San Ignacio to Todos today. Early on El Rosario had a serious amount of water and rocks across the road in many places. Very slow going through the bigger washouts with deep water and no feel of pavement...just rocks. Rained most of the day and then dumped from La Paz to Todos. Now, just the frogs singing.

Whale-ista - 10-11-2015 at 10:30 PM

Send the rain, keep the heat.

(Is that an option?)

SFandH - 10-12-2015 at 08:15 AM

Still raining in central / south baja?

I'll be driving to Catavina Wednesday, Mulege Thursday.

shari - 10-12-2015 at 09:01 AM

we had hardly any rain here in Asuncion as usual but I hear GN and north a bit got some...sounds not too bad so things should be fine by Wednesday.

We have 25 knots of wind and an enormous swell here this morning...my camera trigger finger is sore...just stunning wave explosions with rainbows behind them. There are rain cells on all sides of us and will probably get some precipitation soon....or not.

Wouldnt ya know that we have fishing clients lined up to fish and all the boats in town are high and dry dang it.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by shari]

BajaLuna - 10-14-2015 at 11:19 AM

great pics of Bahia Asuncion!

Blanca, that's crazy, hail in Baja?, WOW!

shari - 10-14-2015 at 02:40 PM

here is your beach too Luna & Udo!

motoged - 10-14-2015 at 02:58 PM

Shari,
Your stormy pics are great...."moody" vibe.... :saint: