BajaNomad

Bad Day in Baja

printbr - 10-28-2015 at 01:48 PM

Friday my son and I were travelling to Los Barriles. We crossed the boarder around 7:30 am and high tailed it to Geurreo Negro. Smooth sailing that day.

The next day we left at sun up and drove all day, We heard about the cops in Constitucion so went to the center lane and stopped at every intesection. About half way through town we saw a Federali truck pass us. We were extremely careful to stop at every intersection, marked or not. So we get to the end of town and there are the Federalis behind us and pull us over. The cop says you did not stop correctly. We said oh yes we did. And then he gets angry. and Shouts "You did not stop correctly". Then he demanded 1,000 pesos. So I handed over the money, and the buttcrack try's to shake my hand like we are buddy's or something.

So I am fuming all the way highway and get to La Paz. I turned the wheel over to my son to drive for a while and we get a few klicks through town and I'll be damned if another Federali pulls us over and says we were speeding. Now I know we were not speeding as there were other cars passing and I kept looking at the speedometer wondering why my son was going so slow. So this time both cops get out and come to each window. This guys says If we go to the station it will be $150 or you can pay $100 now. Now I am peeed but I don't know what else to do, as this is my first first foray in mexico, so I hand them $100us note and they thank us and leave. Well 5 Klicks down the road we come to a road block where the military are inspecting. No big deal these guys have been great all along the way. But there is a federali sitting there too. He sees it is an American vehicle and stops us and starts questioning us. Like any open beer etc. Well now I am really peeed and I said no beers just Monster Energy drinks want one? And he says yes and I handed it to him. He still wanted to see a drivers license but I know he only stopped us because he thought he could get something out of us, And I wasn't giving him any money so I tossed him a Monster. It seemed to work but I'm not sure he was entirely satisfied.

I have to says it left a really bad taste in my mouth for Baja Sur. What a disappointment.

woody with a view - 10-28-2015 at 02:03 PM

next time tell the turds to kiss you where you crap and take you to the judge! TELL ALL YOUR 1ST TIME FRIENDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!

they played you like a guitar.....

edit: i'd love to listen to their radio chatter every time one of those A-holes take down a gringo. i bet the other jack-wads come running for miles around to line up down the road and get a piece!:lol:

consider it a lesson and learn from the pain!

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by woody with a view]

TMW - 10-28-2015 at 02:14 PM

You gave them way too much. Best to tell them you'll go to the judge especially if you did nothing wrong.

BigBearRider - 10-28-2015 at 02:16 PM

Please don't pay them.

I've been stopped a few times, but I have never paid a cop in Mexico, Central America, or South America. Honduras shortly after the 2009 coup was pretty bad.

For me, being polite, smiling, and offering to pay the amount in return for a receipt has worked. No one seems to want to write a receipt for a bribe. I had one guy in Nicaragua telling me he was going to put me in jail over the weekend, so that I could see the judge on Monday. I told him that I was very sorry for whatever I had done (I think I turned from the wrong lane), and that I would be happy to get to spend more time in his town. He was so angry when I didn't pay, but eventually let us go.

For others, not speaking Spanish has worked just as well but taken a little bit longer.

Maron - 10-28-2015 at 02:21 PM

I read all the time that one should NEVER pay a bribe to local and/or federal police. We should insist on going to the Judge. If it comes to that, why would the Judges be any less crooked? Just wondering. Thanks for any insight/input.

monoloco - 10-28-2015 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for reenforcing their perception that gringos are easy marks. Do you also feed bears?

bajabuddha - 10-28-2015 at 02:32 PM

I fully understand about the Federales being on the take, no doubt about it..... but if you 'high-tailed it' all the way from the border at 07:30 to Guerrero in one day, and through the Cataviņa minefield, you can't honestly say you obey all the speed limits in Baja. You still have much to learn, especially about blowing a front tire at 85+ mph on that highway. Sorry for your loss of cash, good thing that was all you lost.
;)

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by bajabuddha]

BigBearRider - 10-28-2015 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
I read all the time that one should NEVER pay a bribe to local and/or federal police. We should insist on going to the Judge. If it comes to that, why would the Judges be any less crooked? Just wondering. Thanks for any insight/input.

I don't know if the judges are any more or less crooked. I think the hope is that the cop is lazy and will go for an easier mark instead of actually taking you to the judge.

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by BigBearRider]

chuckie - 10-28-2015 at 02:43 PM

HEY LOCO, Its not his fault...First time in BAJA cops can be pretty intimidating...This kind of thing is becoming more and more common in Baja Sur...I have been going back and forth for over 40 years.My last trip north, at a military check they planted some 9mm cartridges in my truck. I am now 80 years old, by myself and in handcuffs.Ya know what? I PAID...That's a decision to be made by the individual on the spot. Not by some armchair hero who wasn't there...

bad day

amigobaja - 10-28-2015 at 02:51 PM

My two cents is never pay and never let them know you understand Spanish. In thirty years of Baja,Mainland and Central America I have always driven away with out paying. There's very few places in the Baja that I haven't been stopped and I always out wait them. In Central America I was pulled over and when I took the cops picture and tried to make him write down his name I thought I was going to get an ass whipping when the cops partner pulled him away and told me to go. Always get their name, badge number pic if possible and tell them to take you in. They never will.

mojo_norte - 10-28-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
HEY LOCO, Its not his fault...First time in BAJA cops can be pretty intimidating...This kind of thing is becoming more and more common in Baja Sur...I have been going back and forth for over 40 years.My last trip north, at a military check they planted some 9mm cartridges in my truck. I am now 80 years old, by myself and in handcuffs.Ya know what? I PAID...That's a decision to be made by the individual on the spot. Not by some armchair hero who wasn't there...

Scary - which check point was it?

micah202 - 10-28-2015 at 02:59 PM

...sounds like yet another good reason for a dashcam.

Please NEVER pay the bribe.

sancho - 10-28-2015 at 03:11 PM

My last trip north, at a military check they planted some 9mm cartridges in my truck. I am now 80 years old, by myself

I've heard of some checkpoint thefts, but that is a nasty story. Being by yourself does open the door for extortion. Seems there
was a post here recently, which had BN's lining up gushing about the integerity of Mex Fed Hwy Cops

Maron - 10-28-2015 at 03:12 PM

BigBearRider

Thanks for the input

BigBearRider - 10-28-2015 at 03:17 PM

I'm sorry about your recent experience. That must have been very unpleasant.

I had sort of the opposite experience recently driving north. I had a few thousand pesos in the seatback pocket of the front passenger seat that I had forgotten. The young military guy pointed out the money to me, and said to take it to make sure that it didn't get lost at another checkpoint.

chuckie - 10-28-2015 at 03:43 PM

I have had hundreds of good experiences...It only takes ONE bad one to sour the rest...

woody with a view - 10-28-2015 at 03:57 PM

the TURD wants $100 or more. the judge will fine you $12 or less for supposedly running a stop sign.

AKgringo - 10-28-2015 at 04:44 PM

Not all marked police vehicles are federal police, you probably got nailed my local cops. especially in La Paz! i had one on a motorcycle claim he was a Federale, but he did not even have a badge on. Sorry, no mordida for you!

The checkpoint south of La Paz you mentioned, the last time I went through, I was waved through by the police, but they were checking Mexican plated vehicles more thoroughly. The police car was marked Policia Estal, or something like that. I don't know if that is a local agency, or maybe state police (?) but I don't think they were federal.

gsbotanico - 10-28-2015 at 04:46 PM

My rule is to never pay a bribe and to always speak in Spanish if you have the fluency. I'm always very polite and very patient and will spend 60+ minutes with the officer if necessary. I keep talking and never hint at paying a bribe.

Any threats the officer makes, I just go along. Spend the night? OK, if I have to do it. Go to the delegation office or before a judge. OK, if I have to do it. The trick is to be very firm and wear the officer down. He's looking for a quick payoff. If you're innocent, don't give in to the easy out. It only makes it more difficult for the next person who is stopped. And remember to smile.

David K - 10-28-2015 at 04:48 PM

If a cop asks you for money, just say NO

If he orders you to follow him after saying the fine will be bigger than what he tried to get, follow him (play along).

Before getting to the judge, if you did nothing wrong, he will tell you to take off (make sure you get your license back, if you took it).

As stated above, if you did break a traffic law, the fines in Mexico are small... insist on going to the judge and paying the fine!

gallesram - 10-28-2015 at 04:52 PM

I used to pay the bribe (I didn't know there was an option NOT to) and frankly after reading this board and the postings years ago about the cops in Ciudad Constitucion, I learned how to deal with the crooked cops. Now I never pay and just do the things mentioned above (speak only English, agree to go to the police station to see the judge, etc.); happy to say I haven't paid a bribe in several years, either in Baja or the mainland. I have yet to actually go to the police station, either.

Sorry to hear about your experience; it's enough to sour any future trips but hopefully after reading these comments you'll realize that by following a few rules you'll be on your way without paying if this happens in the future.

motoged - 10-28-2015 at 05:14 PM

Baptism by fire......

About 15 years ago I rode my moto down to San Jose and my better half flew down....The night before she flew back home I got terrible food poisoning ....and was barely able to walk....so she took a taxi from downtown to the airport (early evening).

It wasn't until a week later when I was back home that I learned she was robbed by her taxi driver and dumped on the highway outside the airport. Needless to say I was enraged and was planning on returning to find the guy and mess him up REAL bad :fire:

I got over it (sort of)....and when complaining about it on another forum, a response to my complaining was "what do you expect....she was an easy target". That feed back stung....but it helped me learn to never do that again (leave vulnerable person in that circumstance)....and to see where I did have any responsibility in the turn of events.

I hope your next trip goes more smoothly.

chuckie - 10-28-2015 at 05:15 PM

The guys I had the bad experience with were Army..

David K - 10-28-2015 at 05:24 PM

Mexico is the AMIGO Country, remember?

Udo - 10-28-2015 at 05:26 PM

I see there are differing opinions regarding how to deal with the cops (please get one thing straight, the Federal cops drive back & whites and clearly state POLICIA FEDERAL on the sides of their vehicles, municipal or estatal cops drive different color vehicles.)
ONE rule of thumb is to NEVER EVER pay any money to the cops. If available record and photograph the cops. They will eventually leave you alone and go on to an easier mark.
My experience is that my fluent Spanish has clearly helped in the three occasions that is was intercepted by local cops over the 50 or so years driving Baja.

DENNIS - 10-28-2015 at 05:39 PM

Hey, Udo......half of your house is on your lot.

Whale-ista - 10-28-2015 at 06:38 PM

Sorry this happened to you esp during first trip.

Agree with what others have said: never pay! Also, speak English, be polite, smile, offer to go to police station with them, ask for a receipt, ask to see a judge or supervisor...any combination of those things will help you get away quickly and hopefully freely.

Also: carry an old expired drivers license and a decoy wallet with a few dollars and pesos. Give them that license first if asked, since they might keep it. And show them how few dollars/pesos you have.

Hope all these ideas and suggestions help you avoid this in future.

AKgringo - 10-28-2015 at 07:08 PM

After the first time I got shaken down in La Paz with the cop holding my licence hostage, I found out that only the Federales can take your ID. The next time it happened, I showed the cop the licence but did not let him take it from me.

That was his first clue that I was not going to play the game without resistance. After a while he let me go after I told him "no mordida!" If he had taken the licence, it was one that I had 'lost', and the duplicate was safely secured for the trip home.

Tioloco - 10-28-2015 at 07:57 PM

1st rule is there are NO rules. I have experienced something similar to Chuckie in the past. I have also held fast against the mordida several times.
Corruption is NOT something you can control. You are the unarmed visitor, he/she is the armed official. Sometimes you just end up grabbing your ankles. Don't think the judge and everybody else isn't in on the gringo lottery.
Just use your head and do not get combative.
In the end, the good outweighs the bad.

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2015 at 08:15 PM

My last time getting stopped (in Tijuana), I went for a cruise with my wife to show her the town after checking into our Motel. We got stopped, and I forgot to bring money - I would hit the ATM later that night. When we got stopped, I honestly didn't have any $$.

No money = broke Police officer! LOL:biggrin:

gallesram - 10-28-2015 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
After the first time I got shaken down in La Paz with the cop holding my licence hostage, I found out that only the Federales can take your ID. The next time it happened, I showed the cop the licence but did not let him take it from me.

That was his first clue that I was not going to play the game without resistance. After a while he let me go after I told him "no mordida!" If he had taken the licence, it was one that I had 'lost', and the duplicate was safely secured for the trip home.

This is great (and important) advice that I forgot to mention. Once the policeman has your license you're toast, so don't hand it over (assuming it's not a federal policia).

BajaBlanca - 10-28-2015 at 08:32 PM

I am so glad that I didn't read this until tonight and I am safely home here in Baja.

Tioloco - 10-28-2015 at 08:40 PM

Blanca- well put!
And again, the good does outweigh the bad by a huge margin.

lamissmanners - 10-28-2015 at 10:25 PM

Ha so many memories.
I lived in Durango for two years and was always getting pulled over for driving while gringa. When I was working at the university at night, they would issue a parking ticket by removing my license plate and having to go down to the station to get it back. ( I was parked legally)
So then I taped my license plate inside of my window and I would get pulled over for improper plate display.
I always hand a copy of my documents to the officer, so if they want me to give them money to get them back then too bad.
My most amusing time was when I was coming back from swimming at the dam at around midnight with my then boyfriend. On the way out a cop car was coming in and stopped us and told me I was going to be accused of having sex in a public place and they were going to publish my name on the crime page of the local newspaper. I paid the money and then reported him to the head of all the police, who frequented the same folkloric bar that I lived at. He wanted to fire the officer immediately and I said no way, I don't want to get killed or hassled by other police. I said I only ask that I be left alone by the police, leave my license plate alone too. After that, most was quiet.
I too have faked not knowing Spanish. My favorite is saying, "No hablo espanol." pronouncing the silent h in hablo.
I've had much success with carrying small bags of school supplies to give to officers for their children.

Osprey - 10-29-2015 at 07:37 AM

In the U.S. and other countries the roads and highways fall under the jurisdiction of each section of roadway -- remember the notorious "Kangaroo Courts"? Some wiseguy in Cataviņa bought an old police car, scrounged up an old uniform and for a long time made a comfortable living as a lone wolf.

Drove into San Felipe once, road was blocked by one police car. The cop handed me an old beat up, faded official looking document with the city seal on it. It announced a raffle where you could win a new truck. I gave the cop a couple of bucks so my greenhorn passenger gave him some too. We drove off to our motel.

My passenger said "What was that?" I told him it was a raffle. He said "We can't win, we don't have a ticket."

I explained "That won't matter tonight downtown when we are raising hell, falling down drunk that's the guy who will remember us and we just got a pass for 2 bucks"

monoloco - 10-29-2015 at 08:09 AM

I would also like to point out that paying a bribe is just as illegal for you as it is for the cop to ask for one. Grow a pair and stand your ground, it's the only way that this culture of looking at gringos as rolling ATM machines will ever change. 99% of the time these guys will fold like a house of cards when you demand to have them write the infraction. There is absolutely no upside for them to write an infraction after they have hit you up for a bribe, they won't see one dime of the money, and they risk you turning them in for being a mordelon.

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by monoloco]

dasubergeek - 10-29-2015 at 12:03 PM

For a while I was getting stopped on the regular in Tecate. A friend of mine in Ensenada gave me one of these to put in the window and then they would just yell at me and then let me go.

Sindicatura.JPG - 54kB

boe4fun - 10-29-2015 at 12:16 PM

Here's what's worked for me: I carry my "Baja wallet" on me, with a copy of my current CDL and an expired CA license. In addition I have a "Sindicatura" sticker plainly visible on the rear driver's side window. Haven't been hit up for years.

micah202 - 10-29-2015 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gallesram  
......... I haven't paid a bribe in several years, ......
.... I have yet to actually go to the police station, either.

....funny how that woiks :smug:

baja police

amigobaja - 10-29-2015 at 01:42 PM

I learned a little trick traveling by motorcycle to the Panama Canal. Many of the bikers go to AAA and for ten bucks they buy a international driver license. Make copies and laminate them. If asked by a police offer only give them your international license so if they take it big deal.Have your traveling partner also have the AAA license. Carry 4-5 of them and let the thieves have them.

BigBearRider - 10-29-2015 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
I learned a little trick traveling by motorcycle to the Panama Canal. Many of the bikers go to AAA and for ten bucks they buy a international driver license. Make copies and laminate them. If asked by a police offer only give them your international license so if they take it big deal.Have your traveling partner also have the AAA license. Carry 4-5 of them and let the thieves have them.

I forgot about this. I did this too, but only got two copies. I still have both...

Udo - 10-29-2015 at 03:47 PM

MIL GRACIAS,

DENNIS!!!

(BTW, DENNIS..........that's really funny"):bounce::lol::biggrin::lol:

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Hey, Udo......half of your house is on your lot.

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by Udo]

woody with a view - 10-29-2015 at 03:53 PM

hopefully, it's not the top half!

motoged - 10-29-2015 at 04:58 PM

Whose lot is the other half on? :biggrin: