BajaNomad

A good inexpensive GPS?

Arthur - 1-19-2005 at 08:46 AM

Okay, I'm getting used to the idea that I should get a GPS. I like to do my own exploring, you know? But having to turn around two miles short of El Volcan was enough to make me think. Of course, it's all beautiful once you're out in the open with enough provisiions and no need to watch the clock, but time is still something of an issue.

Anyway, what's a good inexpensive GPS? David K says they're below $100, so I'd appreciate some advice on what features I should look for, and what would be tipoffs to a possible lack of reliability. I wouldn't want to get the cheapest one if that might bring problems down the line, but I don't think I need a bunch of fancy stuff.

David K - 1-19-2005 at 08:54 AM

Around my neck is a Garmin eTrex (yellow, basic model) which is very easy to learn to use. I bought it at WalMart in 2001 for $116, and the price has since dropped. Check large electronics stores or the Internet for best deals. I have since bought an eTrex Legend (blue) which has built in maps, but is a bit more difficult to use.

Here, I am hiking on the Camino Real towards Mision Santa Maria, from near Gonzaga Bay http://vivabaja.com/1103

Arthur - 1-19-2005 at 09:55 AM

Sounds good. On the other hand, maybe I should just buy a truck with a GPS built in . . .

Did you see that note in the story on the airless tires, saying that new cars will have to monitor the air in their tires? If you can monitor the air, then inflation & deflation, as with Hummers, can't be too far behind. I'll stick with my Prerunner for now, though.

eTrex

gringorio - 1-19-2005 at 07:08 PM

I second the eTrex. For the price, durability, and functions it's great and the buttons are where your fingers can get to them. I've never had any trouble with mine either. I also use a Garmin GPS 76, which has also been through hell and still held up. Garmin gps's also have the buttons up top where your thumb and index finger can easily manipulate them, unlike other brands. The Garmin Gecko looks cool, but haven?t tried one...

Anonymous - 1-19-2005 at 10:22 PM

I've had a lot of luck with the Magellan Meridian. Waterproof, crashproof (well, to a certain extent) and easily adaptable to various mapping software programs. Ran over 850 miles last October mounted on the handlebars of my DRZ400, never skipped a beat. Menus are easily accessed and a ton of features; you can get one for under 200.00 and sometimes as low as 150 w rebates. It is a little larger than the garmin however.