BajaNomad

Firewood in LA Bay

Chupacabra - 11-16-2015 at 02:12 PM

Does anyone know if firewood is available to purchase in LA Bay?

I know I can get it on the way, but I'd just as soon get it there if possible.

Thanks!

woody with a view - 11-16-2015 at 02:14 PM

haven't seen it, but doesn't mean it isn't there. be safe and bring it.

Ateo - 11-16-2015 at 02:18 PM

The market at the left turn in El Rosario usually has some pieces laying around.

AKgringo - 11-16-2015 at 02:21 PM

It seems to me that a while back, there was a post about firewood being a prohibited item to bring into Mexico. Did I get that wrong, or does it depend on what kind of wood it is?

woody with a view - 11-16-2015 at 02:39 PM

no wood unless you pay duty. firewood not allowed.

marv sherrill - 11-16-2015 at 04:52 PM

Chupa - you can get firewood at most of the markets in town - Dos Pinos and Xitalia for sure! A little expensive, but really good wood.
Enjoy the warm nights.

Chupacabra - 11-16-2015 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by marv sherrill  
Chupa - you can get firewood at most of the markets in town - Dos Pinos and Xitalia for sure! A little expensive, but really good wood.
Enjoy the warm nights.

Awesome, good to know. Thanks!

Skipjack Joe - 11-16-2015 at 07:55 PM

I was there a week ago and saw firewood being sold in the large market in the blue building on the right side of the malecon entering the town. They sold mesquite and briquettes.

larryC - 11-18-2015 at 06:14 PM

I was just in Enriques market and he had "lena" for 8 pesos a c/u. I don't know what c/u is. So I don't know how much you get for 8 pesos.

coronamike - 11-19-2015 at 07:41 PM

I think c/u means cada uno...which translates to "each one". So 8 pesos for each stick.

15389 - 11-22-2015 at 06:54 PM

Why not just drive to an arroyo and pick all you want for free? There's a ton of dead wood in the arroyos north of town.

woody with a view - 11-22-2015 at 07:00 PM

it's illegal, that's why.

YMMV

15389 - 11-22-2015 at 07:23 PM

That's funny. The federal police looked at my pile of dead wood and didn't say a thing. I can't believe it is illegal to pick up and burn dead wood at your camp site.

David K - 11-22-2015 at 08:09 PM

Some folks here like laws; control; being busy-buddies; etc. ...

However, do know that the L.A. Bay area is (was?) ejido land (as are many other areas of Baja) and collecting firewood may be an important source of revenue for someone in the ejido. Most of us are on a vacation to enjoy the outdoors, so campfires are an option unless you really do need to keep warm or cook food over it.

Another ecological aspect is that dead wood is often home to many creatures (scorpions often) and if it is all gathered than some of those wonderful insects may lose a home!

Now, man needs fire... so use some good judgement! We bring those 3-4 hour logs sold at the grocery store for campfire time.

mtgoat666 - 11-22-2015 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Like controlling a woman's reproductive rights, making laws restricting the right to marry, being a busy body by monitoring every telephone line in the USA, and making a religious test for immigrants?
Which party is the party trying to control our civil rights and be a busy body in our personal communications?

Now, about that wood, it's gonna cost you less than $10, so do the right thing and buy it, and quit scavenging! Leave some wood for the goats!

bajadogs - 11-22-2015 at 09:18 PM

Can you articulate?

David K - 11-22-2015 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

Can you articulate?

You and goat are doing just fine. Wow.

15389 - 11-24-2015 at 08:07 AM

I just got back from a 5 week camping trip and I never had anyone ever come by selling wood. If someone did for sure I would buy some. But when you are boondocking 10+miles from the nearest town it's kind of hard to just run to town and maybe find someone selling wood. I go down to Baja to get away of all the rules,laws ect. and I don't believe any locals or authorities give a crap that I am having a camp fire with dead wood I collect around camp.

David K - 11-24-2015 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 15389  
I just got back from a 5 week camping trip and I never had anyone ever come by selling wood. If someone did for sure I would buy some. But when you are boondocking 10+miles from the nearest town it's kind of hard to just run to town and maybe find someone selling wood. I go down to Baja to get away of all the rules,laws ect. and I don't believe any locals or authorities give a crap that I am having a camp fire with dead wood I collect around camp.

You are no doubt correct... Back in the day when many Americans went camping to Baja on the major holidays (2001 or earlier), there was enough business for one of the locals to drive to the camps selling "Leña" (firewood) around L.A. Bay. Doc had a pile by the office at Camp Gecko we would buy from.

MitchMan - 11-25-2015 at 08:19 AM

Wow, sorry to lean that firewood is so scarce in Baja, even sorrier to learn that it is illegal to gather dead firewood laying on the ground. Obviously, I am not and have never been much of a camper.

In La Paz area, there is dead firewood all over the place; mesquite trees grow wild out there…they are everywhere. Plenty of dead firewood on the ground in every direction outside of downtown.

About two months ago a really good looking young woman came to my house in La Paz offering me $20.00 MXN for a piece of mesquite firewood (she knew that I had a stash of it in my back yard because I paid her and her uncle to do some yard work earlier). I was puzzled by that; but now I know why she was willing to pay for it.

woody with a view - 11-25-2015 at 08:44 AM

I know that when someone wants to use Palo de Arco sticks to build a fence in BdeLA that there is an office in town that requires a not insignificant payment before a Mexican worker can gather the required sticks.

Whatever the reason, it is their country. I'm not a tree-hugger and have been known to pilfer a Pismo clam or 20 on occasion. It just pays to know the rules.

Alm - 11-26-2015 at 12:49 PM

campfires are an option

Yes. Something that you "may", not something you "need". I've never had ethical or legal issues with collecting it there. Walking along the beach on a cool winter afternoon is healthy, and collecting driftwood at the same time is easy.

No worries about leaving homeless some creatures, if it's a flotsam on the beach. This would be the least of my worries, considering how much harm we are doing to environment by building our homes there, dumping waste and driving our cars, ATVs and boats.

Edit-PS: about Dos Pinos - yes, pricey. Most items in this store are. A rip off, basically.

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by Alm]

David K - 11-26-2015 at 01:01 PM

Agree Alm, driftwood is great. Happy Thanksgiving!