BajaNomad

fuel diagnostic?

Santiago - 11-16-2015 at 09:10 PM

Pump the primer bulb coming out of the tank and the 15hp 2 stoke Yammie starts right up and then runs out of gas. If I keep squeezing the bulb, will run. Am I right to assume my fuel pump diaphragm is kapoot?
will break down this weekend and check it out.

Tioloco - 11-16-2015 at 09:45 PM

Sounds like that is it.

Santiago

captkw - 11-16-2015 at 09:50 PM

Hola,more than likely..also check the complete fuel line and under the cowling (hood) for any loose hose ends...if your fuel line is a tempo, or attwood or moeller toss it in the trash and get a oem or serria !! BTW how is that shift shaft hole repair holding up ??? that kid is growing faster than a greyhound runs....

[Edited on 11-17-2015 by captkw]

DaliDali - 11-17-2015 at 05:58 AM

It's the fuel line.....
The "impermeable" membrane inside the line has melted, reducing the flow of fuel to the motor, to the point of it won't run.

Santiago - 11-17-2015 at 08:22 AM

Left out something that may be diagnostic: Last trip was to Fordyce Lake near Truckee - the road in is legendary - 1.5 hours to go 7 miles towing a 15' Gregor. The motor was laying in the back of the truck and suffered a LOT of bouncing around.
Will first check the hoses and fittings before replacing the diaphragm.

vandenberg - 11-17-2015 at 10:36 AM

Had that identical problem. Hose had a leak and was sucking air instead of fuel.. Simple fix.

ncampion - 11-17-2015 at 11:39 AM

I agree with others regarding the hose/fitting leaks as most probable. If you have an electric fuel pump, pressurize the lines/fittings and look for leaks, even a small air leak will cause the problem as air is much easier to flow than fuel. The o rings on the fittings are often the culprit.