BajaNomad

Hwy 3 to Melling?

PaulW - 11-26-2015 at 06:36 PM

Can an an a SUV drive the road these days?

ehall - 11-26-2015 at 06:58 PM

The road behind mikes is a no go for an suv unless they have worked on it in the last year.

David K - 11-26-2015 at 11:04 PM

Ed, is it just a bad, low range 4WD road now up from Mike's (like stuff we did on the Pole Line Road) or is it only passable with motorcycles?
Happy Thanksgiving!

ehall - 11-27-2015 at 05:00 AM

I did it in my jeep without a problem with both ends locked. I believe I heard it has gotten worse. Typical stock suv would have a tough time. There was alot of 12-18" rock outcroppings to climb.

ehall - 11-27-2015 at 05:02 AM

The road I am referring to is the road to coyote. Map shows another road to the east but I have never been on it. Larry would be the one to comment on these roads. Almost in his backyard.

David K - 11-27-2015 at 12:45 PM

Did the drive in 2005 from the Observatory road to near El Coyote and on to Mike's on the eastern of the two roads from Coyote to Mike's. It was all okay 4WD stuff and only the last couple miles going down the mountain to Mike's was it 'really rough' back then.

Here's the trip web page: http://vivabaja.com/905/

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2015 at 01:21 PM

I drove it in my Ford Ranger, and where you drive around the boulder near the cliff, my BFG All-Terrains began to spin out, pushing me towards the edge. Nice highway ride, but dangerous on actual 4WD trails in an unlocked truck.

David K - 11-27-2015 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I drove it in my Ford Ranger, and where you drive around the boulder near the cliff, my BFG All-Terrains began to spin out, pushing me towards the edge. Nice highway ride, but dangerous on actual 4WD trails in an unlocked truck.

This boulder (had "ouch" painted on it)?

bajatrailrider - 11-27-2015 at 09:27 PM

There are three routes From Mikes to Mellings.One route Mc only.Other route Eds jeep,no go in SUV.Third route no go SUV. You need go Highway 1 take paved road up,or you could make it up San Rafael canyon (dirt) adventure.Off highway 1. This is because the main dirt road.That went in Canyon to get to Mellings.Is blocked by new Rancho,from one of the Mellings.The road they made around Rancho,dont even try with SUV.

PaulW - 11-28-2015 at 08:54 AM

Thanks we not go via Mikes.
What about the road from V Trinidad to Hwy 1 bypassing Ensenada? Is that one SUV ok?

David K - 11-28-2015 at 09:11 AM

Paul, I haven't been over it in many years, but as it was then it continues to be described the same in reports: Graded road, 2WD ok, well used, one steep grade but road surface smooth so traction isn't too big of a problem in dry weather.
Naturally, we all here would like the most recent road report!

TMW - 11-28-2015 at 11:00 AM

The road from Trinidad to Hwy 1 is used by the locals. It has never been a difficult drive to my knowledge.

PaulW - 11-28-2015 at 04:45 PM

Been several years since I drove that road. Just looking for recent update.
yes, it was easy back then.

bajatrailrider - 11-28-2015 at 06:27 PM

New Update old road from Highway 3.Simpson ranch for years has been,even hard on moto. I was told today Alfredo Melling bull dozed it (new route) was told easy.We will ride it in few days report back,if it is true.

David K - 11-28-2015 at 07:00 PM

Is this an automobile bi-pass to get to Rancho Coyote/ Meling's Ranch from Hwy. 3 without going through Mike's Sky Rancho?

bajatrailrider - 11-28-2015 at 07:58 PM

David I should have answer tomorrow.Freind that lives,at Coyote will ride it.I can not see them fixing any road going up from Simpson rancho.Another thing to take with grain of salt.Alfredo Melling took me,and freind.On hard moto ride,up mountin side of cliff.He knows I love hard horse trails.We ending up carrying bikes,pushing bikes to make it. I asked him you said you already made this trail.He said on my horse,not on motorcycle. Getting back to new road story,I think where Simpson rancho road,cuts into road to Coyote or Mikes.At the top he made new road to Coyote.If so still no go for SUV.David have you or anybody been up the Simpson road Lately to Mikes?

Santiago - 11-29-2015 at 08:56 AM

Not to Highjack this thread, but isn't the Dark Skies compound on this road? What ever happened to the compound?

TMW - 11-29-2015 at 09:08 AM

Dark Skies Baja is for Sale. Mike and Pam had closed their route off to off-roaders. They have a caretaker taking care of the property when they are not there.

David K - 11-29-2015 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Not to Highjack this thread, but isn't the Dark Skies compound on this road? What ever happened to the compound?

We may be discussing different roads?

a) Hwy. 3 to Meling is through Mike's Sky Rancho to (or near) El Coyote to Observatory road west of Meling.
b) The Simpson Ranch is west of Mike's and if passable offers a way to get to El Coyote and Meling without passing through Mike's.
c) Dark Skies Inn (Rancho Concepcion) is east of Mike's and Melings and on a road that goes east from El Coyote, past Mike's old airport and to Concepcion.
e) A newer road was made from Concepcion (Dark Skies Inn) south to the Observatory road above (east of) Meling Ranch.

Yes, Dark Skis Inn gated closed the original road used to get to Rancho Concepcion from Mike's or El Coyote and thus preventing the traditional passage used by ranchers, off roaders, pot farmers, etc.

Map?

DianaT - 11-29-2015 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes, Dark Skis Inn gated closed the original road used to get to Rancho Concepcion from Mike's or El Coyote and thus preventing the traditional passage used by ranchers, off roaders, pot farmers, etc.

Map?

Please don't forget that they had very good reasons for closing the road, very legitimate reasons and also that land and the surrounding area has now been declared a protected area.

norte - 11-29-2015 at 04:00 PM

Why is it when someone wants road conditions, the same ld people post nonsense from 10 years ago? Won't that just get people in trouble? The only constant is the climate, hhahahaha.

David K - 11-29-2015 at 04:08 PM

I wasn't saying good or bad, just stating what happened.

Since you want to open this up with moral values, I suppose we can say while it was "their" land to close, the results were that by choosing to not welcome one group that could have been a whole new clientele (which was their right), they have gone out of business. :?:

Maybe it wasn't being annoyed by off-roaders but more about the fear of the pot growers?

I am bummed that we did not get up there to see or stay at the place before they closed. I had several exchanges with Mike over the years about water systems, history of the area, and more. I am sorry they chose to end the project. I love astronomy and Baja.

PaulW - 11-29-2015 at 04:51 PM

a) Hwy. 3 to Meling is through Mike's Sky Rancho to (or near) El Coyote to Observatory road west of Meling.
b) The Simpson Ranch is west of Mike's and if passable offers a way to get to El Coyote and Meling without passing through Mike's.
c) Dark Skies Inn (Rancho Concepcion) is east of Mike's and Melings and on a road that goes east from El Coyote, past Mike's old airport and to Concepcion.
e) A newer road was made from Concepcion (Dark Skies Inn) south to the Observatory road above (east of) Meling Ranch.

Map?

=========
Well shucks
The picture below shows all the roads I have in my GPS. I don't know where dark skies is and I have no idea where the new road might be.
On the picture Mikes is exactly at the top if the "K" on the word "Sky". Simpsons is at the cross hairs. So can somebody label the roads and missing places?
Thanks, Paul

TMW - 11-29-2015 at 06:29 PM

Here is a GE image of the roads around Mikes Sky Ranch. The lower right is the road to Dark Skies Baja and out to the Observatory road at KM68. This is the one Mike and Pam closed to off roaders.

In the lower left where it says 4.4 miles there is a bypass to the southeast that SCORE uses for the races. It's maybe a mile or so.

[Edited on 11-30-2015 by TMW]

rts551 - 11-29-2015 at 06:33 PM

Since you want to open this up with moral values, I suppose we can say while it was "their" land to close, the results were that by choosing to not welcome one group that could have been a whole new clientele (which was their right), they have gone out of business. :?:

Maybe it wasn't being annoyed by off-roaders but more about the fear of the pot growers?

I am bummed that we did not get up there to see or stay at the place before they closed. I had several exchanges with Mike over the years about water systems, history of the area, and more. I am sorry they chose to end the project. I love astronomy and Baja.

"gone out of business"? Where did you get that info? I believe he stated he wanted to sell so they could move on to other things...like travel for a while. The also, if you would remember correctly, closed the road off because off-roaders were tearing up his property, annoying his cattle, tearing up the fence and cutting the lock on the gate. He had given them a chance to go through if they obeyed the rules, but I guess they felt they had the freedom to do what ever they wanted.

The idea that closing the road to Off-roaders caused them to close ,must be another of your scientific observations.

David K - 11-29-2015 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Map?

=========
Well shucks
The picture below shows all the roads I have in my GPS. I don't know where dark skies is and I have no idea where the new road might be.
On the picture Mikes is exactly at the top if the "K" on the word "Sky". Simpsons is at the cross hairs. So can somebody label the roads and missing places?
Thanks, Paul

Big Red Arrow is Mike's Sky Rancho
Small Red Arrow is the old airport for Mike's 'Los Encinos'
Blue arrows point out Simpson's and Dark Skies Inn (labeled):

a= road between Hwy. 3 & Meling Ranch
b= bypass through Simpson's Ranch
c= Baja Dark Skies Inn (Rancho Concepcion)
e= newer road from Dark Skies Inn to Observatory Road
Old Road to Concepcion passes Los Encinos from El Coyote

TMW - 11-29-2015 at 07:00 PM

Mike told me that they were taking their telescopes on the road so to speak to various venues. They were not getting the volume of business at the ranch that they had thought they might get. It's kind of like if the people won't come to the mountain then take the mountain to the people. There are a lot of theme locations where their telescope expertise can play out and educate a lot of people interested in learning the stars etc.

I wish them the best of luck.

Anyone interested in buying the place? A beautiful location with a great infrastructure for around $500,000. US dollars and you own the property, not a lease.

Romano - 11-29-2015 at 08:04 PM

How do you know that
1) They went out of business instead of just moving on.
2) If they did indeed go "out of business" closing the road had ANYTHING to do with it?

Are you just jumping to "your" conclusions? Because if you are, I know what will happen. That is a story you will repeat and at some point it will become DK-declared "fact".

Truth is, you have no idea why they chose to sell the place and move on, right?

mtgoat666 - 11-29-2015 at 08:45 PM

Millions of people all over the world have fenced their land to prevent trespass and damage. Have you noticed that in Mexico and USA very few private properties allow off roaders to transit their property? Y'all have trouble understanding why? Off roaders tear up the land, and few property owners want that.

Udo - 11-29-2015 at 08:50 PM

That is a very scary situation, Ken. It happened to me once on a 4X4 run south of San Ignacio, and I can't remember the name of the road to and from. I remember starting sliding sideways in low 4X4 with all 4 locked up. I was partially on a sidehill with no way to turn around or back up. I just tightened my 5 point seatbelt and kept crawling. I remember I had the T86 transmission with the super granny low.
That was the only time I was ever scared in the Jeep.

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

bajatrailrider - 11-29-2015 at 11:06 PM

Lets set the record.Im up there all the time.I know Pamela/Mike,very well.They sold Dark Skies,for now they are still there.They did not lock gates to off road people.The put up gates and locked them,because they where scarred.Told me some trucks up to know good going past late at night.Also told me anytime,I wanted to take.Bikes past there gates,they would open them.When they put up locked gate ,it was not legal to do so.As no approval from the ejido. Nobody made them remove gate.Because the rancho below them,made new 4x4 road.Wants all the off road people they can get.Problem what few people ever go there.Why did they sell it too lonely up there.Next to no business. They are real good people.The new route,is one of the best rides ever.Other then Moto,a well set up jeep could make it.I dont know if I have the nerve to try it in my truck.Going down from Mikes would be more easy,then up.Its no problem for Rhinos/razors.

David K - 11-29-2015 at 11:12 PM

Romano, their website is how I know they are not in business. If you read my post you would know I don't wish them anything but a better future. As I said, I have communicated with Mike about the business. Oh, I see you're a newbie, so welcome!

bajatrailrider - 11-29-2015 at 11:16 PM

I forgot to ad,the rancho below them,has great camping.Also fishing,both ranchos where owed by the Mellings.The one below are relatives of Mellings.My poor memory will think of name of Rancho.

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Lets set the record.Im up there all the time.I know Pamela/Mike,very well.They sold Dark Skies,for now they are still there.They did not lock gates to off road people.The put up gates and locked them,because they where scarred.Told me some trucks up to know good going past late at night.Also told me anytime,I wanted to take.Bikes past there gates,they would open them.When they put up locked gate ,it was not legal to do so.As no approval from the ejido. Nobody made them remove gate.Because the rancho below them,made new 4x4 road.Wants all the off road people they can get.Problem what few people ever go there.Why did they sell it too lonely up there.Next to no business. They are real good people.The new route,is one of the best rides ever.Other then Moto,a well set up jeep could make it.I dont know if I have the nerve to try it in my truck.Going down from Mikes would be more easy,then up.Its no problem for Rhinos/razors.

You are so full of BS. They did not sell their property yet.

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2015 at 08:45 AM

Name of Rancho La Joya.Below Pamela,west of them.If you go up paved Observatory.Turn on dirt road to Dark Skies,at Y go left Rancho La Joya.Could you guys find La Joya,post on your map.

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2015 at 09:00 AM

Im full of BS.Ok marooon want to start up again.marooon they sent email to me.Two weeks ago,could I get tractor,up there to fix there road.They would like to get there horses,out of there.Its Ok to be old,not cool your marooon rants.Im full of BS.You have made a fool of yourself as always. In there email told me WE SOLD THE PLACE.Did they email me a lie ?Are you up there marooon? Any of your rants will be dealt with.:barf:

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 09:10 AM

Im full of BS.Ok marooon want to start up again.marooon they sent email to me.Two weeks ago,could I get tractor,up there to fix there road.They would like to get there horses,out of there.Its Ok to be old,not cool your marooon rants.Im full of BS.You have made a fool of yourself as always. In there email told me WE SOLD THE PLACE.Did they email me a lie ?Are you up there marooon? Any of your rants will be dealt with.:barf:

He had an offer, but I don't think he has announced it is final.

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2015 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

He had an offer, but I don't think he has announced it is final. All of this is fine,when you call me full of BS.Please say it to me in person. For the rest of non marooons.They said they sold it to a conservatory.

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 09:27 AM

For those that question the gates.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69387#pid8461...

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 09:29 AM

For those that say they are closed and think their website is gone.

http://bajadarkskies.com/

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 09:38 AM

The off-roaders create the "last straw" for the ranch.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58082

Romano - 11-30-2015 at 10:02 AM

Romano, their website is how I know they are not in business. If you read my post you would know I don't wish them anything but a better future. As I said, I have communicated with Mike about the business. Oh, I see you're a newbie, so welcome!

DK I thank you for the welcome, but along with the welcome you say "if you read my post..." My my, a little passive agressive, are we?

As far as their website telling you they are out of business, I have no idea what you are talking about.

The website states "Closed for the Winter 2015-2016-See you in the Spring!".

[Edited on 11-30-2015 by Romano]

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Romano  

DK I thank you for the welcome, but along with the welcome you say "if you read my post..." My my, a little passive agressive, are we?

As far as their website telling you they are out of business, I have no idea what you are talking about. Your welcome here,there are 3 full timers here.That only wish,to disrupt off road forum.Or chew out David.David always is still kind to these people,even that they are non stop.If you where stuck on the road David,would be first to help you.Im sorry you had to listen to me.I will not be nice to these people.That 90% of there posts are untrue,and wish to bash David.

David K - 11-30-2015 at 03:43 PM

As far as their website telling you they are out of business, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry, but you misread my post, I did not say "out of business". As of right now they are not in business to accommodate guests. I also base my comment on the personal discussion already mentioned on Nomad that they are moving on to greener pastures. (that is not a quote)

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 03:53 PM

hmmmm. what does it say here?

DianaT - 11-30-2015 at 04:00 PM

Sorry, but you misread my post, I did not say "out of business". As of right now they are not in business to accommodate guests. I also base my comment on the personal discussion already mentioned on Nomad that they are moving on to greener pastures. (that is not a quote)

Keep it honest David and own your words --- very clearly stated, here "they have gone out of business"

BTW-- this response to what I posted was simply insane ---- which is why I did not respond until now.

My post was simply stating that they had valid reasons for closing the road --- never stated the reasons -- and the fact that the Mexican Government has declared the area a protected area.

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Map?

Please don't forget that they had very good reasons for closing the road, very legitimate reasons and also that land and the surrounding area has now been declared a protected area.

But your trolling worked as usual as you are so very good at it --- but do try owning your own words.

Or someone might call you that almost purple color or descendent of a slave --- maroon.:lol::lol:

[Edited on 12-1-2015 by DianaT]

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2015 at 06:32 PM

Are you saying they are in business now? Just recently they told me,no more.Please clarify.?

David K - 11-30-2015 at 06:48 PM

In the quote Romano used I did not say "out of business", but that they were not currently in (the accommodation) business. So, he misread me in what HE posted from me. Yes, it was mentioned other places they were shutting down the bed & breakfast observatory business. I will gladly post news of any change to that.

bajatrailrider lives near there, so he has a better chance for the facts... and he says pretty much the same... they are NOT OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

Is is semantics or the facts that are important?

Santiago - 11-30-2015 at 09:17 PM

Haysus, you guys, I just asked a simple question and the whole thread goes sideways.....again.

bajatrailrider - 12-1-2015 at 07:56 AM

Ha HAAA have to agree with you on that one.For someone asking,about a road.WE get the save the world/off road destroyers/the CPs/the D complainers /the ones that are nowhere near here,know nothing,just want to argue.Got to love baja nomad.No other web site like it.You hit the nail on the head,well done.

Romano - 12-1-2015 at 11:43 AM

Dvaid, come on. We are all adults here, and as such this discussion is ludicrous and silly. What people post is a matter of record. I understand that you want to back off your original statement, but why? Is it really that hard to just say you made a mistake. Try it, you'll feel better. :-)

Here is your original post I replied to.

Now I see the statement there. I'm sure you do as well. That may not have been your intent, but that IS what you said. And there's a clear (to me) implication that them closing the road resulted in going out of business, but that is a matter of opinion.

All the stuff about "not currently in business, withing them luck", etc. is after-the-fact and not related to the original post AT ALL.

As an acknowledged newbie, I appreciate your helpful posts, but in threads like this one you come across as both having an agenda, and a chip on your shoulder.

Dude, just acknowledge what is obvious to every one, and back up what you said, or declare it a mistake. We all make them.

I have not joined this forum after lurking from the Amigos de Baja days to get into this kind of thing, and as such, I have nothing more to say on the topic.

It's ok to be wrong, dude. We all are from time to time. I am a sinner multiple times per day - I just try not to let it hurt my personal image of myself when I do something stupid.

tripledigitken - 12-1-2015 at 12:55 PM

FWIW Dark Skies posted here awhile back that they had the property up for sale.

David K - 12-1-2015 at 05:29 PM

It is easy to figure out isn't it Ken?

Romano, you quoted me and then said I said something that wasn't in that quote. Can you have it both ways, but nobody else can? Seriously, I know what I posted and I for one made it clear that I HOPE Mike and Pam don't close it up. However, it sure appears they are not in the mood to fight the druggies (and maybe off-roaders) anymore.

Now, about that cheese on a Caesar Salad...

mtgoat666 - 12-1-2015 at 05:47 PM

Special K has never been to Baja dark skies inn. As usual he speaks nonsense and simply repeats nonsense he read on a blog and spun up thru his noggin. He has no ability to fact check. In fact, He probably would not recognize a fact if it bit him on the nose.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein, he was a witty guy.

rts551 - 12-1-2015 at 06:11 PM

Romano, you quoted me and then said I said something that wasn't in that quote. Can you have it both ways, but nobody else can? Seriously, I know what I posted and I for one made it clear that I HOPE Mike and Pam don't close it up. However, it sure appears they are not in the mood to fight the druggies (and maybe off-roaders) anymore.

David, David, David. I just reminded you above of the "last straw" which they posted and you responded. How could you forget , again, so fast. It was the off-roaders who were the last straw. Maybe they borrowed your lock cutters.

David K - 12-1-2015 at 06:51 PM

Special K, that's kool... LOL

Goat, you are not saying anything that I haven't already said. One of the last things I said was bajatrailrider is closer to them than any of us, and he reports here... So, I will go with what he said above.

Ralph, "last straw"? Well, I would like to think that I don't "suck"! LOL

bajatrailrider - 12-1-2015 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Special K has never been to Baja dark skies inn. As usual he speaks nonsense and simply repeats nonsense he read on a blog and spun up thru his noggin. He has no ability to fact check. In fact, He probably would not recognize a fact if it bit him on the nose.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein, he was a witty guy.
Number 1 marooon SPEAKS KNOWS NOTHING

bajatrailrider - 12-1-2015 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

David, David, David. I just reminded you above of the "last straw" which they posted and you responded. How could you forget , again, so fast. It was the off-roaders who were the last straw. Maybe they borrowed your lock cutters.

NUMBER TWO marooon SPEAKS KNOWS NOTHING. Both marooons Know nothing.You marooons are sick.You post Just to disrupt off road forums.Go back in your lazy boys,go back to sleep.

rts551 - 12-2-2015 at 11:00 AM

I'm kumin Davy, I'm Kumin to Sav yu! [img][/img]

I you would have ever bothered to learn how to read, you would have noticed I was posting Mike's reason for locking the gate.... Fact not some if your made up fiction.

David K - 12-2-2015 at 02:56 PM

Mike speaks English, I have read his posts. Is that cartoon a marooon in action?

rts551 - 1-25-2016 at 03:03 PM

For the "experts" that posted here. Current EBAY listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200-acre-ranch-with-custom-adobe-ho...