BajaNomad

Objects with odd names... but just to foreigners

LinRobinson - 12-2-2015 at 10:56 PM

More Mexican Spanish tips... click on picture

BajaBlanca - 12-3-2015 at 07:37 AM

Very good reading! esposas indeed LOL

DENNIS - 12-3-2015 at 07:56 AM

Another grease monkey oddity.........in my area, a steering column is called a "sin fin"................"endless."

micah202 - 12-3-2015 at 07:59 AM

....is the author canadian!?? :P

''I heard another gringo in a mechanic’s shack deep in the Baja,,,''

BigBearRider - 12-3-2015 at 08:43 AM

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

pauldavidmena - 12-3-2015 at 10:00 AM

It's pretty interesting that a curly-haired person is a "Chino". I'm Puerto Rican, and I remember my grandparents referring to an orange (the fruit) as a "China".

David K - 12-3-2015 at 10:05 AM

Thanks Lin! Good to see you on Nomad.

alacran - 12-3-2015 at 10:59 AM

How about to a non English speaking person, with a car that will not start to be told to "jump the car"??? or to "get a jump"???

AKgringo - 12-3-2015 at 11:28 AM

Good to know that 'jack' translates to 'cat'! Does that work as a verb as well; "Jack it up' translates to 'cat it up'?

When asking for a jack, does it need a qualifying word along with 'gato' to indicate that you want a tool, not a pet?

hombre66 - 12-3-2015 at 01:37 PM

Once at an Autopartes in San Quintin: told that a "sin fin"
was a hose clamp!? My GUESS is that "many things spherical "are regarded with the term sin fin in Mexico.

sargentodiaz - 12-3-2015 at 01:43 PM

As usual, wherever he posts, Lin comes up with great stuff.

bacquito - 12-3-2015 at 06:01 PM

Thanks alot, enjoyed.

Whale-ista - 12-4-2015 at 01:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Very good reading! esposas indeed LOL

Ha! Reminds me of a trip To Cuba with a friend, when we were watching an English language TV program with Spanish subtitles. Since we were practicing our Spanish we turned off the sound to force ourselves to follow along with the subtitles.

At one point a character (a police officer) was trying to apprehend a criminal but had lost his handcuffs during the pursuit. He shouted to his partner "where are the handcuffs?"

My friend couldn't understand what anyone's wife had to do with the scene.

DENNIS - 12-4-2015 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
[
I think that refers more specifically to the worm gear at the end (which also relates to the hose clamp someone mentioned); did they actually apply it to the whole column?

That's how I understood it. :?:

DENNIS - 12-4-2015 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
It's pretty interesting that a curly-haired person is a "Chino". I'm Puerto Rican, and I remember my grandparents referring to an orange (the fruit) as a "China".

Another....a person from India is known, officially, as a Hindú, whether they practice Hinduism or not.

Gulliver - 12-4-2015 at 07:52 PM

I am informed this afternoon that the 'cat' jacks are the floor jacks used by mechanics with the long handle. Grabbing the cat by the tail, so to speak.

AKgringo - 12-4-2015 at 07:57 PM

Grabbing the 'cat' by the tail! Even more color added to a colorful term, thanks for that detail!

GoodTattoos - 1-18-2016 at 03:51 PM

Ordered the slang book today. Something to read on the plane ride over.

SlyOnce - 1-19-2016 at 10:21 AM

my favorite Spanish phrase is "Ya no hay...."

reminds me of "Yes, we have no bananas...."

gsbotanico - 1-19-2016 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
my favorite Spanish phrase is "Ya no hay...."

reminds me of "Yes, we have no bananas...."

Sort of like the "ahorita vengo." Could be a along wait, as I have learned.

durrelllrobert - 1-20-2016 at 10:32 AM

I remember that in High School we used to say that our girl friend was riding the white horse (caballo blanco) at her time of the month. Guess that's why a sanitary napkinn is called caballo in Mexico?

noshoes - 2-28-2016 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Another....a person from India is known, officially, as a Hindú, whether they practice Hinduism or not.

Actually makes sense as India used to be called Hindustan.

Alm - 4-21-2016 at 12:01 AM

Autoparts have weird names in any language. Odd to foreigners - yes, probably. Or, rather, - "odd to American English speakers". Spanish Semaforo = traffic light, is a legitimate English and French term for railway signalling devices - English spelling is Semaphore. How many Americans use railways? :) ... Rhetorical question...

Mexitron - 4-21-2016 at 05:17 AM

"sin fin" could perhaps refer to anything round---a circumference has no end (aka pi)?

woody with a view - 4-21-2016 at 05:24 AM

Chezgete (cheez-get-A) is a tube.

nandopedal - 4-21-2016 at 06:58 AM

Steering column=Tornillo sin fin
Tornillo=screw=threaded column but with no ending point

My two centavos:D

Tomas Tierra - 4-21-2016 at 03:15 PM

My last trip I heard a cold beer called a "Chevy"

Never heard that one before

nandopedal - 4-22-2016 at 07:28 AM

Tomas,
Cerveza=cheve, somebody sometime decided to cut the word and also to give it a funky pronunciation at the start of it, very popular.

Correcamino - 4-22-2016 at 12:38 PM

I noticed that many cars posted for sale around the neighborhood in La Paz featured a "quemacocos". Why would a car need to burn coconuts? Biofuel? I felt like a fool when the locals explained that it was a sunroof. Clever Mexicans! There actually is a more "proper" term - techo corredizo - that nobody uses.