BajaNomad

Wow,RESCHEDULED!!! 10th Annual Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive, January 31st, 2016

Pages:  1  

fdt - 12-4-2015 at 09:51 PM

We did it! 10 years in a row, consecutive, uninterrupted, one after another, consistent, successive and non stop. Never dreamed of it but here it is and we're very exited about it.
We plan to make it very special, I don't have all the details yet but will be posting as we get them. We hope many of you can help with toys, gifts and donations this special year. It will be on January 31ST th, 2016
A hole decade!
(It was originaly for the 17th)

Here are links to our past toy drives:

1st Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21378#pid1972...

2nd Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28406#pid2889...

3rd Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35415#pid3822...

4th Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42767#pid4774...

5th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49503

6th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56714#pid6862...

7th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64381#pid7854...

8th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70559#pid8766...

9th Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75878

Once again our good friends at Bajabound will be the main drop of point for gifts and donations.

They have a new office location
The new information is:
Toy Drive c/o BajaBound Insurance Services, Inc.
815 J St #303
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

Also if you are in the Rosarito area and want to donate, the drop of location there is Cindy's Mexican Insurance, they are conveniently located on the main Blvd, at the Rosarito Beach Hotel Shopping Center

Cindy's Mexican Insurance
Blvd Benito Juarez #31, Suite 9
Phone (661) 100-2328

If you would like to donate toys or food but do not know what to get or can not send it, there is a Paypal account, fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

As always we thank you in advance for making this event possible.
Saludos y gracias,
Fernando Garcia y familia

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 1-16-2016 by fdt]

[Edited on 1-16-2016 by fdt]

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2015 at 07:52 AM

10 years!! Amazing.

We must really have helpers taking the gifts across the border this year, starting early. Maybe we should have a "take gifts across the border" parade?

We will be in the States for Christmas and count me in.

woody with a view - 12-5-2015 at 07:56 AM

Ferna, i just started a new job this week so i can't send funds. when i get my first check next week you'll be at the top of the list!

[Edited on 12-5-2015 by woody with a view]

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2015 at 07:58 AM

Where in Tijuana can we drop toys off?

fdt - 12-5-2015 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Ferna, i just started a new job this week so i can't send funds. when i get my first check next week you'll be at the top of the list!

No hurry and thanks again for your continued support

saludos

fdt - 12-5-2015 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Where in Tijuana can we drop toys off?

Thanks Blanca. I don't have the right location yet. I'm trying for a super easy to find place and one that is not out of the way for travelers.
I'll post it as soon as I know.

David K - 12-5-2015 at 10:21 AM

Awesome Ferna!

fdt - 12-5-2015 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Awesome Ferna!

Yes David, it's great. Hope you can make it this time.
Saludos

David K - 12-5-2015 at 10:51 AM

Maybe see you at the Christmas Party next week?

fdt - 12-5-2015 at 11:55 AM

Yes, I plan to be there.

fdt - 12-5-2015 at 12:34 PM

Here is a video Ken Cooke did for the 2009 event

fdt - 12-5-2015 at 04:58 PM

Here's a video made by Geoff from Bajabound Insurance of the 2011 Toy Drive

BajaNomad - 12-5-2015 at 06:18 PM

Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/DiaDeReyesToyDrive

BajaNomad - 12-5-2015 at 06:21 PM

http://www.meetup.com/tijuana-walking-tours/events/227239082...

fdt - 12-6-2015 at 09:48 AM

Here is another video Ken Cooke produced of the 2012 Toy Drive.

BajaNomad - 12-6-2015 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
No real need to wait till the last minute to send your gifts of toys or donations, please feel free to start now.

The support for this event over the years from members of this site has been incredible, and is a so greatly appreciated.

The announcement this year is a little later than in past years, and because of the planning, transportation, etc., which all needs to be done ahead of time, I believe there's the concern regarding "timing", etc.

While much (most) of the work is done ahead of time, it's always been something members here have been invited to come and participate with on the day of the toy distribution. Please consider joining us for that event on January 17th.

fdt - 12-7-2015 at 02:17 AM

No real need to wait till the last minute to send your gifts of toys or donations, please feel free to start now.

fdt - 12-7-2015 at 04:16 PM

Keep in mind, for those of you sending gifts, Bajabound Insurance has moved.
The new address for mailing or delivering gifts is:

815 J St #303
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

BajaGeoff - 12-7-2015 at 04:37 PM

We are all set up and ready at the new Baja Bound office. Looking forward to making the 10th annual Dia de Reyes Toy Drive a success!

BajaBlanca - 12-8-2015 at 09:49 AM

I also want to remind folks that wrapping paper and scotch tape are needed too, right fdt?

also, fdt, you might want to ask at the dentist's office I used last year if they can hold the presents for you again? They are all amazing there.

fdt - 12-8-2015 at 01:35 PM

I also want to remind folks that wrapping paper and scotch tape are needed too, right fdt?

also, fdt, you might want to ask at the dentist's office I used last year if they can hold the presents for you again? They are all amazing there.

Yes Blanca, you are so right, we need lots and lots of wrapping paper and tape, we have none left over from last year.

As for the drop off location in Tijuana, I'm still working on that but should now soon. The good people at Dr Samuel Velazquez's dental office are pretty busy as you can remember and they have limited space. Wait just a little for me as I'm trying to get someone.

fdt - 12-9-2015 at 10:18 PM

As I mentioned on the beginning of this thread, this year's event is very exiting for us because it is the 10 year we've done it, BIG WOW, and it's all because of all you wonderful people that provide the donations, big or small.
Thru ought these past 10 years, some of you have joined us on the day of the event and if you have you now it's a wonderful experience. Some of you have wanted to come along but haven't, so it is our most sincere wish that many of you join us on January 17 for this 10th year event. It promises to be a great day, so save the date, plan on coming down and experiencing the Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive, there is transportation, food, lots of happy children and many hugs and kisses.
Gracias,

woody with a view - 12-12-2015 at 05:05 AM

HO HO HO!

fdt - 12-12-2015 at 07:32 AM

Thanks Woody

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

fdt - 12-17-2015 at 11:43 AM

Just a friendly reminder that Bajabound Insurance has moved. For the past several years they have been so kind as to be the official drop off location in San Diego for donations for the Toy Drive, they go far and beyond with this and we are very grateful.
They used to be on 11th ave. But not anymore, the new information / address is as follows:

815 J St #303
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

fdt - 12-18-2015 at 03:21 PM

Amazon also has some deals going on toys

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=pe_2282390_160079150_pe_...

fdt - 12-18-2015 at 08:40 PM

Less than 30 days left and we haven't received any toys yet. Help.

fdt - 12-19-2015 at 08:22 AM

Toysrus has a deal section, here is the link.
Please help us by sending your donations as soon as you can because one of the most difficult things about making this event a success is the smuggling of the toys into México.
Thank you,

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3395098#vie...

If you don't know what to get, we also have a Paypal account for donations,

fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

But again even if we buy it for you, we still have to smuggle it across.
Gracias

woody with a view - 12-19-2015 at 08:25 AM

give until it hurts....

BajaGeoff - 12-22-2015 at 12:49 PM

BajaBlanca dropped by the Baja Bound office today to grab some toys to take south!

¡Viva Baja!

fdt - 12-22-2015 at 06:43 PM

Great but, south where? When?

woody with a view - 12-23-2015 at 05:13 AM

it's a surprise!

fdt - 12-23-2015 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
it's a surprise!

Looks like it :?:

We appreciate all the help we can get and smuggling toys is one of the best ways to help just as long as it's NOT at the dentist's office as I mentioned back on dec-8

Yes Blanca, you are so right, we need lots and lots of wrapping paper and tape, we have none left over from last year.

As for the drop off location in Tijuana, I'm still working on that but should now soon. The good people at Dr Samuel Velazquez's dental office are pretty busy as you can remember and they have limited space. Wait just a little for me as I'm trying to get someone.

elgatoloco - 12-23-2015 at 11:29 AM

FDT - we will wait for the drop off point in Tijuana and the after xmas sales.

Keep up the good work.

fdt - 12-23-2015 at 11:42 AM

So, where did Blanca go with your Día de Reyes toys???

Blanca was nice enough as to help us out last year also, we'll wait.
Thanks

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
FDT - we will wait for the drop off point in Tijuana and the after xmas sales.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you, as I mentioned before it will be a very easy to find location or locations.
And since we started this 10 years ago, that's the idea, do it for Dia de Reyes or after so people can take advantage of all the after Christmas sales, or leftover toys and so on.

BTW those toys Blanca picked up are ones that arrived late last year, it's about 10 of them that have been at Bajabound waiting for almost a year. We have not received any new toys for this event.

Saludos
Fernando

fdt - 12-23-2015 at 04:43 PM

Yes, you read it right, we haven't received any toys yet for this toy drive which is about 3 weeks away. What Blanca picked up were a few that arrived late last year.

Remember that there is also a Paypal account were you can send donations to

fdt - 12-24-2015 at 04:22 PM

Merry Christmas to all Baja Nomads / Feliz Navidad a todos los Baja Nomadas.

woody with a view - 12-24-2015 at 04:50 PM

Feliz Navidad!

fdt - 12-26-2015 at 11:38 PM

We hope that your Christmas was a wonderful one and as we approach the new year, it is our desire that you have the best for 2016.

fdt - 12-27-2015 at 07:57 PM

Please, if you have lots of wrapping paper left over, don't throw it away, we need lots of it, along with tape and toys of all kinds. Now is the time, Christmas is over and all kinds of toys and gifts are on sale, on clearance, remarkably reduced, specially priced
Also if you can't send toys, there is a paypal account were you can send your donations.

Thank you

fdt - 12-28-2015 at 11:12 PM

Hi everyone; Besides reminding you all that the after Christmas Sales have started, I would like to know who will be joining us on January 17th, I promise it will be a great experience for all.
Please join us on this 10th anniversary of the toy drive, it will be a full day of fun, food and drinks, a very unique Baja experience.

fdt - 12-30-2015 at 12:33 AM

Less than 3 weeks left and we have no toys. Remember they don't have to be expensive or electronic or battery operated.
Or you can use Paypal fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

woody with a view - 12-30-2015 at 07:06 AM

NO TOYS?

if everyone here would give $10-20 there would be a huge output for the kids. who can't spare $10-20? look at it like you're paying forward on your next trip south-it will ensure you have great vacation! don't tempt Karma!

C'mon, folks. give a little bit to put a smile on some kid's face! put your shipping address as Baja Bound's, send a gift card in the mail, or my favorite, Paypal!

fdt - 12-30-2015 at 11:50 AM

Just got off the phone with Bajabound and no, still no toys, not one has arrived for this years toy drive. The small ones Blanca picked up were 10 that arrived late for last year and we were saving them for this year, but that's it.
We really need help to pull this off again, specially since it's the 10th year, uninterrupted.
We still have a little over 2 weeks left to do this.
Thank's
Fernando

sd - 12-30-2015 at 12:03 PM

Hi Nomads! I will start it off - I have 5 gifts - mini mouse backpacks with a few goodies in each - good for little girls ages 3-7.

Also purchased two sets of T ball items including the T, soft baseball bats, and full set of bases. Fernando, these two sets would be best for a group of kids, maybe a school or ??.

I will have my family add an additional 5 gifts, as they participated last year.

Nomads, I have attended this event several times, it is lots of fun and very rewarding. The BajaNomads have always been great in bringing this great event to the kids, please help if you can.

Scot

BajaGeoff - 12-30-2015 at 12:40 PM

Awesome Scot!

sd - 12-30-2015 at 01:17 PM

MORE GIFTS!
Shipping to Baja Bound
10 Wilson NFL MVP junior footballs (arriving Tuesday)
10 Voit playground balls (arriving Tuesday)
5 multiple country flag soccer balls (arriving between 1/7 and 1/13)

Working on more - we need toys and quickly please!

Scot

fdt - 12-30-2015 at 03:31 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Scot!!!

Yes, we are going to make it!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

fdt - 12-30-2015 at 04:40 PM

Finally, great news, I've been knocking at a big door for some time and it just now opened.
We now have 2 drop of locations for toys in Tijuana and one in Tecate. It is the Nissan dealerships with the easiest to find being right on the Ready Lane to cross to San Ysidro. Here is their map;

http://paginas.seccionamarilla.com.mx/nissan/agencia-automot...

So this is great because they will include us as of Monday on all of their social media and advertising campaigns and I'm certain this will bring in a lot of toys.
What else do we get? a space were to do the gift wrapping and the transportation of all the toys on the day of the event.
What do they get? Hopefully lots of traffic of people coming in to bring gifts, not guaranteed but everyone of them could be a car sale.
They get to load up their new trucks with gifts and caravan to the venue which makes for a great photo-op of them involved with the community and at the same time gives us a parade of brand new cars to mark our 10 anniversary of the toy drive.

David K - 12-30-2015 at 04:42 PM

Good news amigo!

sd - 12-30-2015 at 04:52 PM

Great that Nissan is lending their support!

Great work in getting them involved Fernando.

Scot

fdt - 12-30-2015 at 11:12 PM

With their marketing people involved and using all their social media and being able to be on all their advertising campaigns, we're looking to save the day. We're meeting on Monday to get the ball rolling. That leaves us with only 10 working days.

fdt - 12-31-2015 at 02:19 AM

So, please, send toys, this is all about toys for needy kids. This started over 10 years ago, we're at the 10th anniversary toy drive and we need your help.

Please, please, send those toys and if you just can't, send a donation via Paypal, we need a lot of wrapping paper, tape, fuel, food among others.

MMc - 1-1-2016 at 09:47 AM

Thanks for what you do. A happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

fdt - 1-1-2016 at 03:16 PM

It happens because of you and your donations. We are just the vehicle.

Happy New Year:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

woody with a view - 1-1-2016 at 05:11 PM

I'm hoping for the last minute rush effect!

fdt - 1-1-2016 at 07:11 PM

That's what's going to happen. There was to much time off this year as Christmas eve and New years eve both fell on a Thursday with both Fridays off and then the weekend, so there was a lot of relax time.
By Monday we'll start getting donations for sure.

We have 500 children, mostly in the 4 to 8 year range both boys and girls.

Drop off locations are as follows:

San Diego:

Bajabound has a new address
815 J St #303
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

Rosarito:

On the main Blvd, at the Rosarito Beach Hotel Shopping Center

Cindy's Mexican Insurance
Blvd Benito Juarez #31, Suite 9
Phone (661) 100-2328

Tijuana:

Both Nissan Dealerships
Via Rapida, right on the Ready Lane to San Ysidro and the one on Blvd. Insurgentes

Tecate:
Nissan Dealership

And of course if you prefer we also have a
Paypal account : fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

fdt - 1-3-2016 at 03:42 PM

With only 10 working days left here is what we've done due to the response we've received for this 10th anniversary toy drive;
We have divided the children into 4 groups depending on were they are coming from:
1.- 170 children
2,-130 children
3 and 4 with about 100 children each
As we receive gifts and donations we'll start allotting them to the groups and as we get closer to the date of the toy drive, depending on what we've received, we'll have to decide on what children get eliminated.
It's sad to do this because it's really not that many kids but, it's kind of stressful on everyone, I think. You see it really takes time to smuggle the toys from the US to México, once here, sort and wrap each one for each child, make certain there is enough food and beverages for everyone, piñatas, clowns or some sort of entertainment and the transportation.
Please help us by sending as many toys as you can or use the Paypal or whatever other way you want.
This year we have drop off locations all over the place but we're counting on your help in order for this to be a success.
As always, you are all invited to come down on the day of the event so you can witness first hand were your donations go to.
Thank you,
Fernando

fdt - 1-4-2016 at 09:56 AM

Thank you Santiago.
Flowers;)

BajaGeoff - 1-4-2016 at 04:45 PM

Some boxes of toys have started showing up at the office! Go Nomads go!

fdt - 1-4-2016 at 05:57 PM

Great news!

sd - 1-4-2016 at 09:07 PM

If Geoff is open on Saturday I will bring some additional gifts to his office.

Scot

sd - 1-4-2016 at 09:12 PM

Closed on Saturday, so will go early Monday AM. Geoff, just read about your blanket drive, if there is time I will bring a couple of blankets for you to distribute also.

Scot

fdt - 1-5-2016 at 12:35 AM

Thank you Scot and Secret Santa for coming thru for us again. From what has arrived and what is on it's way we are only about 200 toys short of our goal of 500. That is awesome!
We need a tape and wrapping paper sponsors. There is so much of that left over from Christmas just sitting in a closet or in a corner of the house or office somewhere, please send it our way. It doesn't have to be new rolls, we take half rolls, quarter rolls, folded pieces. Same with tape, half rolls, quarter rolls, barely enough for one gift rolls, it's all good, just send it to us.

David K - 1-5-2016 at 09:43 AM

Remember Baja Bound has moved... they are almost in Petco Park now!

wilderone - 1-5-2016 at 11:25 AM

I have about 90 rolls of wrapping paper and 16 rolls of tape that I will deliver to BajaBound today.

wilderone - 1-5-2016 at 11:32 AM

Forgot to mention that when I asked the manager at the 99 cent store if they could donate wrapping paper for the party, he said the company could not, but he gave me $10 of his own money for paper. What a guy!

fdt - 1-5-2016 at 12:14 PM

Thank you Cindi. That is a big help. Will you be joining us?

wilderone - 1-5-2016 at 01:50 PM

It was a really fun party last time I went, but I have tickets to a play with my granddaughter that day.

BajaGeoff - 1-5-2016 at 03:12 PM

Big thanks to Nomad wilderone on the generous wrapping paper and tape donation! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaGeoff - 1-5-2016 at 04:41 PM

Thank you for the update Scot! See you on Monday!

sd - 1-5-2016 at 04:53 PM

Wilderone - great that you provided so much wrapping paper, and nice to hear the 99 cent store manager stepped right up to help out, really nice of him!

Yes Geoff, I will see you Monday with balance of toys. I will deliver to your new office location.

Keep it going Fernando and Baja Nomads! I will be attending on January 17th. It has always been very rewarding to give and participate, hope others will join us.

Scot

fdt - 1-5-2016 at 07:35 PM

Thank you all, it's coming together. We still need more.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

elgatoloco - 1-5-2016 at 10:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
Thank you all, it's coming together. We still need more.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Mrs. Egl and I just got back from shopping. Plan to head down to Nissan dealer tomorrow and drop off.

elgatoloco - 1-5-2016 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Thank you for the update Scot! See you on Monday!

Hows the parking situation at your office? We may be able to stop by tomorrow and haul some gifts down if needed.

fdt - 1-6-2016 at 12:24 AM

Thank you so much Matt, you guys are great!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

fdt - 1-6-2016 at 10:00 AM

Remember Baja Bound has moved... they are almost in Petco Park now!

Yes, The new information is:
815 J St #303
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

Or Paypal fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

BajaGeoff - 1-6-2016 at 10:05 AM

Hey elgatoloco....there is parking right in front of the office, as well as a loading zone and yellow zone. We'll be here 9-5 today!

fdt - 1-6-2016 at 11:58 AM

This from the Nissan facebook pages, thanks

https://www.facebook.com/NissanBaja/photos/a.140510405973091...

They also did a short story on the newspaper

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/noticias/1/3/estat...

elgatoloco - 1-6-2016 at 07:10 PM

We made a delivery to Nissan dealer on the Rio today. Stopped at Baja Bound office and picked up more stuff to go with ours. We were the first to stop in to the dealership and it took a few minutes to get everybody up to speed but it all got sorted out and all went well. Very helpful friendly folks at the dealer. I actually stopped speaking lousy Spanish and showed them the link to their Facebook page and then it became clearer. If you go tell them you have donations for the Viva Baja California Dia de Reyes and you will be good to go. I had big plans to hit a few taco stands but right as we were leaving the showroom the skies opened up and we made a run for the border. 3:00 PM 10 minute wait in Sentri.

fdt - 1-6-2016 at 08:01 PM

Thank you so, so much for making this special trip just to deliver toys, it's a lot of help for us. You are the greatest!
Salud!

fdt - 1-6-2016 at 10:37 PM

We're not far from reaching our goal. Please hep us not have to eliminate some kids because of a lack of toys or food. Please, send in your donations or Paypal

We don't ask for much and we don't ask all year.
Thank you for your help.
Fernando

fdt - 1-7-2016 at 02:45 AM

elgatoloco and baja barb are on the Nissan Baja facebook page delivering gifts.
Thank you both

https://www.facebook.com/NissanBaja/photos/p.167053703318761...

woody with a view - 1-7-2016 at 05:46 AM

that's cool, Gato!

sd - 1-7-2016 at 03:31 PM

10 days before we meet up and see the kids! I am making a final delivery to Baja Bound Insurance on Monday with gifts.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!! I hope to see some of you at the event, it is always a rewarding experience.

TOYS - WE NEED MORE PLEASE!

Scot

fdt - 1-8-2016 at 02:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
10 days before we meet up and see the kids! I am making a final delivery to Baja Bound Insurance on Monday with gifts.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!! I hope to see some of you at the event, it is always a rewarding experience.

TOYS - WE NEED MORE PLEASE!

Scot

Or use Paypal

woody with a view - 1-8-2016 at 07:56 PM

Cmon folks, just think of all those smiling faces.

fdt - 1-11-2016 at 12:00 PM

We're running out of time to make this happen as planned. I thought everyone would be exited that we had reached the 10 year mark.
I just talked to the good people at Bajabound Insurance and they will be taking an inventory of what is at their office, plus I'll check what is at Nissan but in rough estimates we should only need about 100 more toys.
Please help us, only 5 days left.

fdt - 1-13-2016 at 11:43 AM

We're almost there, only about 50 more toys needed for the 500 mark. Thank you all so much.
3 working days left.

woody with a view - 1-13-2016 at 06:12 PM

C'MON people. if you can-do it!

fdt - 1-13-2016 at 07:16 PM

Thank you, thank you, so, so much Woody, Secret Santa and everyone else that's making this possible!

MMc - 1-14-2016 at 08:15 AM

Thank you fdt. This is really good for the kids of Tj.

woody with a view - 1-14-2016 at 05:02 PM

Mas Olas is happy to help put smiles on a bunch of goofy kids faces!

Thanks for being the point man Ferna!

fdt - 1-14-2016 at 06:15 PM

David K - 1-15-2016 at 12:16 AM

Ferna, how about posting the meeting and day activity details again here, as it is just a couple days away, for anyone wanting to go or bring presents?

BajaNomad - 1-15-2016 at 08:41 PM

A lot going on today to report out on. FDT will provide an update at his earliest opportunity to do so. Stay tuned. Thank you.

fdt - 1-16-2016 at 01:22 AM

"The hardest thing to do is the smuggling of toys"
Seems to be the dominating phrase every year. Because it is. Mexican customs allows a person to bring into the country a certain $ amount in purchases, plus their personal belongings. You can't just walk or drive across with 500 toys and say it's a donation.
So, what we have always done is smuggle the toys across, because in our case, they are a donation.
So, at 5 gifts per person allowed, for 500 gifts, you need to make 100 trips. "It is the hardest thing to do" but we've done it.
3 years ago we received a donation of 400 soccer balls for the toy drive, among all the other toys. 400 balls translates into 80 trips alone, OMG.
So we (I), decide to just bring them all across (deflated), so we drive down, get a green light and keep going.... not for long, we get flagged down by a young customs office and to make this short, we end up walking home, our van was confiscated, along with the 400 soccer balls and other toys that we had gotten that day. We never got the balls back and it took several trips plus a $1000 dollar fine to get the van out.
Last year the children we were sponsoring were under a nun, Hermana Inez, who had a way to get donations cross the border hassle free. So, Hermana Inez wrote some letters to Mexican customs and we were able to bring all the toys across on one trip, regardless of what they were. Miracle Nun right?
This year the first thing we did was contact the good Sister Inez and "No problema" She wrote the letters, they got delivered and then we started asking for toys.

fdt - 1-16-2016 at 02:51 AM

Time goes by and no response from customs so we start calling, nada.
We start going to customs and no one knows nothing about no letter from no nun asking for toys.
Finally someone knows about the nun and the letter and they say wait until tomorrow and tomorrow they say come back next week when the administrator comes back. Then the administrator is back bu no letter because the fax was not working so we have the nun send another letter.
In the mean time we ask for more toys, not worried about getting them across because of the letter from the "Writing Nun".
We are short about 50 toys but already have the tamales donated and the drinks and the disposables and some of the transportation so we are very happy.
Today we go to customs, first thing and ask what would be a good time to come across with all the toys.
Toys? What toys?
We answer the ones Hermana Inez requested be allowed across duty free.
I don't understand why they started laughing since I didn't say the "Writing Nun".
To make this really shorter than it is. we were not allowed to bring the toys across on one trip. They told us they could help us by allowing the first $300 dollars worth duty free but would tax the rest of the toys at 16%.

fdt - 1-16-2016 at 03:17 AM

Good thing we learned from last time and didn't just bring the toys across. They are all safe at Bajabound.
Only some of the tamales had been started to be produced by one group so those will be frozen.
We rescheduled the date of the toy drive to January 31st, also a Sunday.
It's the 10th year running and we've never had to do something like this but at this point I was not about o have people stressing out even more over this.
This gives us about 2 weeks to just smuggle everything downaaa

fdt - 1-16-2016 at 09:52 AM

RESCHEDULED!!!

RESCHEDULED!!!

NOW FOR JANUARY 31ST

Pages:  1