BajaNomad

UPDATED INFO: Baja Big Loop Rally - November 23, 2016

Pages:  1  

motoged - 12-10-2015 at 11:59 AM

*** UPDATE *** November 23rd START

Some recent threads have focussed on back-roading in the general area of Mulege-San Juanico-Commondu-La Purisima- Mulege by 2 and 4 wheels (with some "Yay comments from mule riders :cool:).

I want to suggest that interested folks have about a year to plan how we might organize a BN rally of sorts for interested Nomads to converge in Mulege for an event that should take about 4-7 days (if done properly) to travel that loop (of course it will take longer by mule....:saint: ).

Here is the concept:

Day One: Leave Mulege and head to San Juanico via San Raymundo wash....overnight in SJ;

Day Two: San Juanico to Comondu and overnight there; OR San Juanico to La Purisima to Comondu.....

Day Three: Comondu to La Purisima/San Isidro and north to Mulege....OR....Comondu to San Javier to Loreto and overnight in Loreto;

Day Four:
Loreto up to San Nicolas and back to Mulege for Fiesta Grande.

Something like that with a few options.....

I am suggesting early January, 2017......

This is not a race, but just some dirt-loving adventurous Nomads finally hooking up for some adventure fun.....

Just Sayin.....:light:

[Edited on 10-21-2016 by motoged]

[Edited on 10-25-2016 by motoged]

wessongroup - 12-10-2015 at 12:02 PM

Nothing wrong there ... :):)

ehall - 12-10-2015 at 01:31 PM

In. jeep if wife friendly trip. Bike if all guys trip

motoged - 12-10-2015 at 01:43 PM

Nomads,
This is a simmering plan. We might have a flurry of interest at first blush....and then it may simmer down or fall flat on its burro.

What I know is that I will be in Baja from December 2016 until April 2017 and will have my pickup and a dirt bike (450 more likely than 690 for the rougher stuff).

I am available for such a ride most of December/16 until late January/17....at which time I am committed to helping a friend out for Feb/March/17.....

If we end up with a half-dozen folks committed to such a loop, cool.

If we get more, then some logistics become more of an issue (rooms would be the main one....but camping is likely to be an option for most overnights).....

If I am the only one doing it......I will write a ride report :biggrin:

good concept motoged

John M - 12-10-2015 at 02:23 PM

Due to the fact that many threads, and it's impossible to figure a pattern to it, get hijacked far from the original postings, I'd offer an idea that you have those who are interested it the trip, and maybe offer suggestions, communicate via email. That way there is considerable more chance that the focus stays on the trip.

We, interested, could u2u our email information to you. I believe it would be easier to send out periodic emails then to get tangled up in this or any forum.

We have an off-road worthy Tacoma.

John M

BigBearRider - 12-10-2015 at 02:29 PM

Awesome. I'll follow this thread.

Meany - 12-10-2015 at 02:33 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a RZR 1000 4 seater. May be I can get Russ to go and my neighbors the Kelleys from chivato/Big Pine. No black top? Well a little??:bounce::bounce:

willyAirstream - 12-10-2015 at 03:29 PM

I''m there. A year away, should build some interest. Suggest Aqua Verde gets added in the mix. Keep it here, not emails, that would be really confusing. If it gets jacked, someone post a map and we will be right back on topic T in C.

AKgringo - 12-10-2015 at 03:55 PM

October or November is my favored time frame for a Baja run, but I like the idea of joining a group run, even if it means a second trip (Oh darn it!). \

For me, it would need to be a dog friendly group, and I don't see myself getting a dirt bike with a side car for her, so it would need to be do-able on all fours!

Here's hoping this thread stays ON TOPIC!

KurtG - 12-10-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
I''m there. A year away, should build some interest. Suggest Aqua Verde gets added in the mix. Keep it here, not emails, that would be really confusing. If it gets jacked, someone post a map and we will be right back on topic T in C.

Those are all routes that I have done and doing them again all in one jaunt would be great fun. Could be either bike or 4wd depending on whether Kathy wants to go which she probably would. Agua Verde would be a great addition, there are plenty of good camping spots.

dtbushpilot - 12-10-2015 at 04:09 PM

I'm in...

David K - 12-10-2015 at 05:22 PM

If this is not a m/c only run... and like John M, I have the same vehicle as he does, I would love to go.

StuckSucks - 12-10-2015 at 05:37 PM

If the powers-that-be would like, I can build a Google Map of the course - sort of like what I've done for Baja races for our team. Very helpful for pre-recon. Once you have the loop set, I can embed into Google Map and also make it into a downloadable link for your Lowrance or Garmin or Whatever GPS.

Let me know if you're ready to break away from paper.

motoged - 12-10-2015 at 05:52 PM

Folks,
Yes the thread will get jacked.....some maps might be helpful later.

I am great at organizing such events but hate it as it is like herding retarded cats (no offense made to cats.... :biggrin: ) as there are so many details to micro-manage....and I end up feeling peessy at the end of a ride I have organized (I see a therapist for PRSD [Post Ride Stress Disorder] ).

I tend to think that e-mails will be a better method as this thing gets legs so as to manage the number of participants and route info, etc....but that is months away.

I don't care how many dogs come along, what vehicle you have, and will NOT take any responsibility for organizing vehicle rescues, etc.

I expect people to be self-reliant and have a buddy to depend on if things go sideways on the trail. I am not interested in a Rip To The Tip attitude....but like the idea of folks plunking along at their own pace and bailing out of the trip whenever they bloody well want to...no issues and no b-tchin

No money is involved....people make all their own arrangements for food, gas, lodging.

Simple .

DT....could you carry my tent, extra gas, and make room reservations????? :lol::lol::lol:

Stuck....thanks for the offer....it will be a while before we need that, but my proposed itinerary will offer some options for different levels of interest/challenge, etc.....and some GPS intel would be helpful....as the routes get determined by interest and storm damage, we will know what is "do-able".
DK....Of course you are welcome....your taco needs some fun....we won't have a problem with one another as long as we don't talk politics....which will be one of the trip rules :coolup:

More as things develop....

motoged - 12-10-2015 at 07:01 PM

DK....Cool....you have now just used up all your "political talk time" :cool:
let's not go sideways here....:biggrin:

This is about a ride/drive through Baja

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by motoged]

wilderone - 12-10-2015 at 07:18 PM

I'm in as a cost sharing passenger. I'm a great camp cook!

Gulliver - 12-10-2015 at 07:25 PM

I would look carefully at that Comondu to San Javier link. The last time I was there it was pretty marginal and there's been one hurricane and a rain event since then.

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by Gulliver]

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by Gulliver]

David K - 12-11-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I would look carefully at that Comondu to San Javier link. The last time I was there it was pretty marginal and there's been one hurricane and a rain event since then.

Bad Roads Bring Good People! :light:

TedZark - 12-11-2015 at 10:22 AM

I'm interested. Haven't met anyone here before, but would like to join in. Would be on a bike - Honda CRL250L - and would hope for not cold weather.

motoged - 12-11-2015 at 02:11 PM

Big Loopers,
I will slowly collect e-mail addresses and U2U's over time so as to keep a loose and tentative list of folks that are showing an interest....and will use them as needed way down the line as/if this idea gets legs.

I trust that we have some time to ponder it, get excited, change our minds and plans.....and will likely end up with a group by next fall who are committed to the "rally".

As this thread will likely die down before too long....it will get resurrected as time goes on here w/ updates, etc.

Folks offering techno help (GPS/maps)....thanks for your offers....keep your intel stashed somewhere for distribution later.

It will be nice to meet some Nomads....so far I have only met DT Bushpilot and WillyAirstream....and MulegeAl (who hasn't been on this thread yet, but has been on the other Mulege-San Juanico thread).

Ride what ya brung....enjoy the trip:

StuckSucks - 12-11-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote:

I've taken thousands of this photo all around Baja - ahhhh ...

Gulliver - 12-12-2015 at 07:03 PM

Dunno if this the right place for this but the info may well help with planning. I accidentally dumped it on Wiily Airstream's Balanza thread.
============================
Trip report on San Remundo Canyon. 12-11-2015

I made it through to San Juanico, thence down to Purisma and San Isidro and back over the hill to Rt. 1 and then back home to Mulege. 220 miles from 7:15 a.m. to 5:50 p.m. Rode conservatively (solo riding is a poor idea) and paused a lot. Six hours from Mulege to San Juanico.

I'm way too knackered to post anything useful just yet. I've got my blood to Ibuprofen ratio adjusted for the evening and will organize my data, pictures and observation in a post.

That said, the rains have not deal kindly with the Raymond Canyon part at all. Even allowing for such factors such as a 72 year old rider on a 20 year old bike and being only a day past a case of stomach flu, it was a tight and rough ride through there. There was a several mile stretch where my tracks were the first since the rains this Summer. Locals on both sides of the washed out part said that they regarded it as not worth it. Right now, I concur.

Map problem:

Both the Baja California Almanac and the AAA map are wildly out of date as you drive South from San Juanico to Purisma.

The new road (already much damaged by Odile) does NOT follow the old route directly to Purisma. In fact, that old road is all blocked by construction at the North end where it must have left the pavement headed inland. The pavement heads to Las Barrancas via the forgetable and invisible village of San Gregorio and then, a few miles South of Los Barrancas arrives at a T intersection where you go right to Constitution and left to Purisma. Nice and fast but 20+ miles further.

All of my whining is a bit like critiquing the performance of a dog walking on its hind legs. I should stop complaining about the stye and be dazzled that it can do it at all. Mexican roads and the fantasies that show up on paper are just part of the experience though I was practicing some low words in Spanish as I was sorting all of this out today.

David. Maybe a good place here for your corrected map?

David K - 12-13-2015 at 10:17 AM

Map problem:

Both the Baja California Almanac and the AAA map are wildly out of date as you drive South from San Juanico to Purisma.

The new road (already much damaged by Odile) does NOT follow the old route directly to Purisma. In fact, that old road is all blocked by construction at the North end where it must have left the pavement headed inland. The pavement heads to Las Barrancas via the forgetable and invisible village of San Gregorio and then, a few miles South of Los Barrancas arrives at a T intersection where you go right to Constitution and left to Purisma. Nice and fast but 20+ miles further.

David. Maybe a good place here for your corrected map?

Jaun del Rio posted this photo advertising the new highway route, in 2008:

I transferred that onto the Almanac map:

In 2011, it was reported all done!

Use Google Earth to see the actual route of the paved road. It is slightly different than the government map showed in 2008. Edit: Bing Maps/ Bird's Eye View is newer imaging and shows the full highway from San Juanico south to Las Barrancas.

Here is a follow up post from April 2011:

Here is the new road south from San Juanico... I drew onto the AAA map from what I could see on Google Earth satellite photos of the new highway. Just extend the pavement on to Las Barrancas from where Google showed it ending...

This was one of the maps I made to show Mike's trek.

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by David K]

TMW - 12-13-2015 at 10:18 AM

Map problem:

The old road turn off to La Purisima is at KM10 as I recall. The last time I was on that road was April of 2014 and there was a lot of rain damage then. Maybe they are going to grade it and clean it up. Nice shortcut compared to going down to Los Barrancas and around on the paved hwy.

I just looked at Google Earth and it does not show the completed hwy. GE is dated 3-7-2010 for that area.

As a note the hwy was completed before April of 2013 as my friends and I used it then.

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by TMW]

David K - 12-13-2015 at 10:24 AM

Hi Tom, check out BING MAPS, Bird's Eye View... the highway is all complete. Looks like instead of a bridge over Arroyo La Purísima, it is a long concrete vado? Not very useful during floods!

TMW - 12-13-2015 at 10:45 AM

When we were there in 2013 there was damage to the new hwy from the rains.

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 11:19 AM

Even more from Odile. The significant damage is nearer to San Juanico and consists of places where the pavement was undermined and then caved in. Blocks perhaps half of a lane at a time max. But poorly marked if at all. Big problem at night if you are fool enough to be there at such a time!

None of this will impact any rally we might plan.

motoged - 12-13-2015 at 12:06 PM

Things change w/roads with storms....nothing new there.

We are a year away from the potential Big Loop Rally.....so lots of time to consider joining, how a Nomad wants to do it....and there will likely be up-to-date road intel after the 2016 fall storms.

Some folks have already offered GPS tracks for sections I have proposed....possible updates to them will give us all good "the track is somewhere around here" opportunities :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9H0TbWm3JA

What we have here at this time is an armchair rally....it will be fun to watch it morph and take form....

Some planning/prep considerations... :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4g3BauJmOw

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by motoged]

AKgringo - 12-13-2015 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

What we have here at this time is an armchair rally....it will be fun to watch it morph and take form....

Some planning/prep considerations... :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4g3BauJmOw

Neither of these links worked for me. Anyone else have a problem, or is it just on my end?

motoged - 12-13-2015 at 01:12 PM

First link fix....getting lost....:

AKgringo - 12-13-2015 at 01:14 PM

Thanks for the fix!

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by AKgringo]

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 01:39 PM

Anyone riding big bikes like that through Raymond Canyon deserves what will happen to them. i.e. leaving the bike and walking out if they don't get stuck under it!

The biggest problem I saw up there on Friday would be with buggies as there were a few places where you needed to get in and out of a water crossing through some relatively deep sand. Narrow front tires might be a problem. With two rigs and a tow rope you would make it with some laughs. Just got to nail it and kamikaze through. You WILL get wet from the splashing. No water much over axle deep. 18"?

Purisma to Rt. 1 is fine. 30 miles of scrabbling over some rocks followed by 10 miles of riding too fast. Don't ask. I missed the goats though.

motoged - 12-13-2015 at 01:57 PM

Gulliver,
Congrats on riding there....shortly after being sick....

I remember one ride from Mulege to Juanico and back in a day with a serious case of the squirts....no fun....but numerous stops along the way... :biggrin: (squatting with dirt bike boots doesn't allow pants below the knee...gotta be careful )

Those "big bikes" are 450's w/ navigation towers and big tanks...

My first ride between Mulege and San Juanico was on my GS 1100 in 2001.....won't do that again....most others on 450 and once on 690.

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 02:10 PM

The riding in Baja is so variable that it's hard to recommend a perfect bike. If you need to cover ground on the pavement, I'd recommend a Gold Wing or a car. If you want to go rock crawling and check out wonderful hell holes like Crybaby Canyon, an observed trails bike or a helicopter are the way to go.

Right now I tend to poke around in fairly horrid places but make my run for the barn on the pavement or smooth roads so my Suzuki 350 works for me. I can change sprockets in a few minutes.

My partner's Yamaha XT-225 is looking better and better.

I don't know squat about four wheeled vehicles. I have seen these Razr's and kindred rigs in some rough places. They seem pricey and maybe not so useful for other things.

Wanna go fast for reasonable bucks, buy an old buggy like Wiilyairstream runs. The locals are big on old japanese pickups and Ford full sized F-150 4WD. They go everywhere with those beasts!!!

sarkmych - 12-13-2015 at 02:40 PM

Following..... ill pm you Ged.

Hook - 12-13-2015 at 02:53 PM

What IS the minimum capable vehicle for the route described by motoged in his first post? Will a Jeep with an open diff, unlifted, with BFG TA KO2s make it?

I know, hard to predict with plenty of rain betweeen now and winter 2017. But, assuming the conditions that exist right now, what is the minimum vehicle that could make this without TOO much damage? LOL! Import 4wd trucks? Long bed 4wd trucks? Samurais? Trackers? 4wd SUVs? Baja bugs?

I assume any ATV, UTV, sand rail or dune buggy would be OK?

motoged - 12-13-2015 at 05:10 PM

Hook,
1) Mulege to San Juanico: Jeep for sure could do it....Mexican ranchero's 2 wheel drive also OK.....so, anything w/ enough rough road experience is OK

2) Juanico to La Purisima/San Isidro.....anything works...mostly paved

3) San Isidro to Mulege (Willy Airstream and Mulege Al's recent comments indicate shorter wheelbase w/ 4X4 ) is very challenging...but no road-building needed at this time....just rough, loose, and steep in places

4) San Isidro to Hwy 1 (south end of Bahia Concepcion) is a good rough road....any vehicle

5) San Isidro to Commondu....maybe need 4X4 for a few short sections....mostly rough road

6) Commondu to San Javier probably need 4X4, but I have not been on that road except for 10 kms off San Javier main road....storms have torn it up over the past few years...but hardcore types have done it w/ 4 wheeled vehicles

7) Hwy 1 to San Nicholas to Mulege..... any 4x4 would have no problem

Those are my estimates....

My original route suggestion offers numerous bailout points (all which would get you back to Mulege that or the next day) as well as hardcore options for those inclined....

Road down( headed west) into San Isidro:

Only real rough part (100 feet) between San Isidro and Commondu:

Just north of Commondu heading to San Isidro....not too bad....

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 05:38 PM

Before any plans will have been made, someone with four wheel experience will go check out the Mulege to San Juanico leg. I have no expertise on anything but bikes.

On all of the rest except for the Comundu to San Javier road, I concur with the previous descriptions and photos. I rode up that road shown in the first picture last Friday at 20-35 mph and passed several 2WD pickups with families along the way.

The Commando to San Javier road needs more recent checking out and maybe a pix or two of the rough spots. I was in there three years ago Northbound solo riding and found the climb up from Palo Chino to be off camber with vertical steps that precluded me going on by myself. A low geared 4WD would have done O.K. I suspect but I wished to ride out on my own wheels.

All of this suggested route is doable and will be fun in groups.

As a side observation, here are my two worst roads in Baja:

Second worst is the few miles in from Rancho Santa Ines to the mission. People are starting to get hurt in there. Ralph, at Santa Inez is the expert on this little horror, I talk to him on ham radio every day. It is being done several times a year but I advise prudence and serious self rescue capabilities.

The worst is a route that I hesitate to mention because it will attract fools. It is known among the bike crowd as Crybaby Canyon. It once was a negotiable route from Mission Guadalupe West of Mulege over the mountains West to San Juan de la Pila. It was negotiated last year by a small group of bikes who wanted to spread the ashes of their compatriot who named it some years before by falling on his back and requesting that his next of kin be notified. Subsequently he passed away from ordinary causes.

Is road is gone. In the words of Monte Python it is a dead parrot. They took ten hours to cover five miles and most of it required all of them to lift one bike at a time over man sized boulders. I have a picture and will share it when I sort out that skill. I took them to the entrance and rode back to Mulege expecting to never hear of them again. They made to Rice and Beans at San Ignatio that night and I think that the will not try that route again.

There are limits. This one needs a D8 cat or a helicopter.

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by Gulliver]

motoged - 12-13-2015 at 09:23 PM

Gulliver,
I rode solo into Santa Maria (to top of Widowmaker hill) on my 450 in 2010...met Ralph by the goat corral just east of the Rancho Inez ...have helmet cam video both ways...

IN 2011, 9 of us from Kamloops drove a bus down to San Ignacio where I joined up with DT Bushpilot for our first meeting....We all rode over through San Juan de las Pila to Mulege....DT and I on loaded on 690's with camping-gear ....DT and I did our own ride after Mulege for a week while the rest of the guys rode to the tip and back...on their way back they were the first dirtbikers to EVER ride from just south of Santa Rosalia through to San Ignacio...

My ride report for that trip: Commondu, etc

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by motoged]

David K - 12-14-2015 at 08:04 AM

The top of the Widowmaker is where the fun really begins! Especially in 2010 when the water bog below was 2-3 feet deep! You were less than 2 miles from the mission from up there: http://vivabaja.com/msm2010/

dtbushpilot - 12-14-2015 at 08:32 AM

FYI, the road between San Isidro and Commondu is much worse now than when we rode it on our "adventure". There was a post about it a while back. I don't know if it has been fixed up yet, maybe someone should volunteer to prerun the course and report back to the group a month or so before launch....:light:

David K - 12-14-2015 at 09:31 AM

There was a report of road crews and machines regrading the road southbound from San Isidro (La Purísima side)... but that may have been a year or more ago... but after you and Ged rode it.

Edit: PS that road parallels EL CAMINO REAL... mostly to the east of the mission road. Cool if you could do the run on the 1720+ trail!

El Camino Real highlighted above.

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by David K]

TMW - 12-14-2015 at 09:35 AM

Tunaeaters dad with some friends and I drove it in April of 2014. But I'm sure the hurricane last year did a number on it.

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 10:49 AM

David,
I did not walk to the mission....the water was about 2 feet deep and I was getting tired....and knew that it was unlikely I would get back up the hill on my own...and the ride back to Catavina was more challenging than the ride eastwards.

That day was one of my favourite solo adventures in Baja....Ralph warned me about riding solo and told me a story about a couple who rode in and out earlier that year....his girlfriend broke her arm.

Some day I hope to ride it again w/ a few others....maybe make the mission next time.

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
..... maybe someone should volunteer to prerun the course and report back to the group a month or so before launch....:light:

What are you doing mid-December 2016?

We could check out the San Javier-Commondu-La Purisima sections out and back from Loreto ?????

dtbushpilot - 12-14-2015 at 11:26 AM

..... maybe someone should volunteer to prerun the course and report back to the group a month or so before launch....:light:

What are you doing mid-December 2016?

We could check out the San Javier-Commondu-La Purisima sections out and back from Loreto ?????

My guess is that I'll be checking out the San Javier-Commondu-La Purisima sections out and back from Loreto in December 2016.

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 11:41 AM

David,
We can work on the details off-line....otherwise, a bunch of Klingons will ride with us and we will have TWO Big Loop rallies.....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....Big Loop Rally Lite :biggrin:

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by motoged]

dtbushpilot - 12-14-2015 at 11:51 AM

David,
We can work on the details off-line....otherwise, a bunch of Klingons will ride with us and we will have TWO Big Loop rallies.....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....Big Loop Rallly Lite :biggrin:

It's hard for me to process anything that has to do with you and the word "lite".:lol::lol:

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 11:54 AM

Oh....just use your imagination, Slim

David K - 12-14-2015 at 11:55 AM

The Klingon High Command approves of your Viva Baja sticker! :lol:

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Klingon High Command approves of your Viva Baja sticker! :lol:

That was for your viewing pleasure, David :saint:

AKgringo - 12-14-2015 at 12:40 PM

I sure don't want to be a Klingon, but neither do I want to be the new crew member on his first 'away' mission. That NEVER ends well!

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 01:03 PM

We have some time to figure this all out. :)

It seems that the San Isidro-Commondu-San Javier sections need to be evaluated....but next season's tropical storms will have first call on road conditions.

Ya know.....lotsa roads in this general area....the next step will be to identify "Best Places To Eat" for this area....maybe organize a pig roast somewhere aside from the Serenidad....or have that as a wind-up fiesta.....

Sit back in that armchair and keep on dreaming up good ideas...:cool:

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 01:10 PM

I have some new camp gear and am all hot to test it out. There is a pretty good chance I will zip down to San Isidro (That's a 3 hr. max drive for me) and look over the road to Commondu.

This will not happen until after the first of the year. Living in Mulege means that when friends and family from the Northwest start to grow moss on their North sides they start showing up at the Loreto airport. This sort of thing will keep me close to home until after the first of the year.

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 01:14 PM

Sort of related to this sort of thing:

Does anyone have any experience with the Spot locators? I've heard their satellite constellation has filled in and there are fewer lost messages. This crashing around by myself is making Barbara nervous and now she saw Motoged's x-rays!

She claims to be concerned about an excessive delay between my demise and the discovery of my carcass leading to irritating delays in collecting life insurance.

dtbushpilot - 12-14-2015 at 01:52 PM

Sort of related to this sort of thing:

Does anyone have any experience with the Spot locators? I've heard their satellite constellation has filled in and there are fewer lost messages. This crashing around by myself is making Barbara nervous and now she saw Motoged's x-rays!

She claims to be concerned about an excessive delay between my demise and the discovery of my carcass leading to irritating delays in collecting life insurance.

DON'T SAY XRAY around ged, it's like saying "MAP" to DK..:lol::lol:

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 01:56 PM

Barbara's daughter is a sports medicine professional. She was the medic for a fairly major college football team. She said they were total wimps. They would come over snivelling about pain and injury and she would look it over and say, "I don't see any bone. Walk it off."

mcnut - 12-14-2015 at 02:54 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Spot locators? I've heard their satellite constellation has filled in and there are fewer lost messages.

I have a 1st generation Spot and opt for the tracking coverage and Rescue insurance. They serve a purpose and as with most everything there are better but also more expensive available (Delorme, sat phone). I think users need to be realistic about function, they work much better with a large horizon vs in a canyon and a 911 response in places like remote Baja is likely to be measured in hours not minutes.
Having someone on the other end who can help expedite/coordinate would likely help a lot.

Bruce

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input. Have you tested the "I'm O.K." function? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. I have seen some complaints on line about messages not getting through all of the time.

willardguy - 12-14-2015 at 03:39 PM

Thanks for the input. Have you tested the "I'm O.K." function? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. I have seen some complaints on line about messages not getting through all of the time.

there were problems with the 3G machines, a battery saving feature where spot would nod off some times when they should have been at full gallop. I assume this bug has been fixed?

KurtG - 12-14-2015 at 04:37 PM

I have the 1st Gen Spot and use it constantly to let Kathy and my daughter know where I am since like you I am mostly riding by myself. The "check-in/OK" messages ease their concerns. I have not had one fail to go through as long as the Spot has a good view of open sky. I have never had to use the "need help" or 911 function but know those who have with good result.

StuckSucks - 12-14-2015 at 04:39 PM

When I send an "I'm OK" SPOT message, here's what the email and text recipients see. The bottom text (newest one) is the same as the email. The wordage in the email and text are mine. Gen 3.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 04:47 PM

Thanks,

So it seems to be fairly reliable? Not too many lost messages?

StuckSucks - 12-14-2015 at 05:30 PM

My experience is that it's usually reliable, but every so often it misses a message. Not 100%.

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 05:35 PM

That sounds better than riding too fast to get home so as not to worry Barbara. I seldom if ever get in any sort of difficulty. Old age brings prudence. But I have found myself distracted by running late on my flight plan and taking a few chances that I really shouldn't be taking. Pushing a button to ease concerns might be worth the expense.

I see one on Amazon for $120 and $100 a year for the basic plan. Now to get the stinking thing down here. I'll find someone headed this way.

mcnut - 12-14-2015 at 05:38 PM

I don't want to derail the thread so check your U2U.

fishmugger - 12-14-2015 at 05:55 PM

Sounds great but who knows where I'll be in 2017 . Why wait so long. There are better months for riding but Ill go with the flow. Have rzr 1000 and KTM 525 and 4x4 lance camper. Toughs decision depending if camping or hoteling it. Retired ff EMT so can usually tell you if you will live or die in a major spill . As long as bones aren't sticking out can usually get you patched up and on your way. Done a lot of these roads but was years ago. Worked for chase team on trophy trucks and pe raced a lot of them . Things change fast down theere so can never count on anything from year to year. Always looking for new adventure and friends.

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishmugger  
Sounds great but who knows where I'll be in 2017 . Why wait so long. ....

FM,
I put this idea out for a year from now as I won't be in Baja until December/16....and would like to ride those roads again with like-minded folks.

Nothing stopping anybody from doing it whenever they want....I usually don't need a "caravan" to get to or enjoy Baja :lol: but put the idea out there as a suggestion.

Gulliver - 12-14-2015 at 07:24 PM

Besides, it will stir up sorts of road reports. Always needed.

SC2BAJA - 12-14-2015 at 10:21 PM

I wanna join the rally or offer support. I can sleep a handful of people at my house in San Juanico and possibly a few other houses if needed. Or offer pit support or arrange a meal if I can't make the full rally. Will do a few day rides in the area in 2016 and keep notes on the roads. Would love to meet some nomads and share in an epic adventure!

David K - 12-14-2015 at 11:10 PM

What a super kind offer... Welcome to Baja Nomad, as well!

motoged - 12-14-2015 at 11:15 PM

SC2....

Way cool :cool::cool::cool:

I have you on the list as ...your offers are appreciated...bed space is key...and a comida can be arranged over the next year.:saint:

We will all get a chance to put a face and personality to some more Nomads...part of the spirit I had in mind.

motoged - 12-16-2015 at 01:37 PM

Nomads,
Some folks interested in this "rally" have forwarded me e-mail addresses by U2U and I am developing an e-mail grouping that I will use over the next year to keep folks up to date and "organizized".

Those who have not done so may want to be added to this e-mail list.

Some recent thinking: Some folks will be more interested in some sections than others....no problem... :

- Day One looks like a Mulege to San Juanico section....folks could return to Mulege the next day the same route....or continue to La Purisima on Day Two and head to Hwy ! from there....back to Mulege or southwards to wherever....

As a tentative offer of hospitality has been put forth by a San Juanican....we might be able to organize a group dinner there....
As well, the tentative offer might allow us to pre-arrange sleeping accommodations for those who don't want to camp....

Such dinner and sleeping arrangements would have a cost determined by the "providers".....This event is a "freebie", but any food/accommodation costs are up to each participant to settle....

If folks have not ever been to La Purisima or Los Commondus....ya gotta go as they are very special locations that most Nomads never see...

Gulliver - 12-16-2015 at 07:11 PM

I am one of several resident off road riders and drivers in Mulege. We will be watching as this develops and will certainly help anyone find resources either mechanical or personal.

This applies the rest of the year as well for me. I am here from the first of November through the end of April and can be contacted at my email address, mike at southlopez dot net or at one of my two phone numbers, two oh six, four nine seven, zero two six one is a magic jack number that that rings into the house here and has voice mail. One five three, zero five two three is the local number.

I'm not a tour guide, per se, or the U.S. consulate representative though I can put you in touch with him. I do like to help though.

Mike Colyar

ehall - 12-17-2015 at 08:28 AM

Thanks mike. Awesome offer.

motoged - 10-20-2016 at 04:40 PM

Well folks....time is nigh....

I will be in the Mulege area from November 14 - 28th and am wanting to see if any folks are still interested in a 3-5 day loop out of Mulege as discussed above.

No detailed plans and don't want to get into too many trip logistics...maybe a half dozen bikes/ vehicles max....accommodations will be the issue if we stay in La Purisma or Comondu...

I just want to ride with a few like-minded folks for several days....done much of that loop previously and want a repeat...

I have U2'd some folks previously stating their interest....:cool:

David K - 10-20-2016 at 04:49 PM

Oh boy, goody!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

dtbushpilot - 10-20-2016 at 05:13 PM

I see your biggest obstacle as being able to find a few "like minded folks". I know I'm not like minded but can I tag along anyway?

willyAirstream - 10-20-2016 at 05:59 PM

I am sure a few local moto riders would be interested. Also we can get a couple of race cars to set the pace for ya jajaja Stop in when hit Mulege.

motoged - 10-20-2016 at 08:57 PM

I see your biggest obstacle as being able to find a few "like minded folks". I know I'm not like minded but can I tag along anyway?

David, you know I hope you will ride with me again....I promise to speak slower and not use words with more than three syllables...:cool:

motoged - 10-20-2016 at 09:03 PM

I am sure a few local moto riders would be interested. Also we can get a couple of race cars to set the pace for ya jajaja Stop in when hit Mulege.

Richard,
The fast guys can race...first guy to San Juanico buys dinner :biggrin:

I hope to get to Mulege around Nov 14th or thereabouts and will look for you, for sure. I see this ride happening somewhere between Nov 20th and ending (for me in Mulege) Nov 27th.

Is Mulege Al out of the asylum yet....?

TedZark - 10-21-2016 at 12:04 PM

How are the roads in general along the proposed route?

While I have ridden bike all my life, at 64 I am relatively new to off-road biking and have okay skills, but certainly not superior skills. Especially in sand, I ride super slow.

I would love to join in if my schedule permits, but I don't want to hang up the speedy folks.

willardguy - 10-21-2016 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
How are the roads in general along the proposed route?

While I have ridden bike all my life, at 64 I am relatively new to off-road biking and have okay skills, but certainly not superior skills. Especially in sand, I ride super slow.

I would love to join in if my schedule permits, but I don't want to hang up the speedy folks.

Especially in sand, I ride super slow.........there's your problem!;)

willyAirstream - 10-21-2016 at 12:17 PM

The road from LP to Comundu was made passable for the Loreto 400 race 2 weeks ago and we have had no rains since. So, it should be fine. I did the last 10 miles in the Willys, it is tight, technical, rocky and fun!
The Mulege to SJ is probably a mess. I will get some recent local info.

Join in Ted, it is not a race, probably many stops for fotos, cold drinks and bano para motoged.

motoged - 10-21-2016 at 01:43 PM

This ride is a ride....not a race....so Richard is right about stops (for pics and a pee...refreshments...

I am 65 and have been riding bikes since 1976...but dirt since 2001....and Baja riding since 1995....

I hate silt beds and am getting better in deeper sand....the trick to sand riding seems to me to be counter-intuitive and against good judgement...."give it gas and get on top of it...".

There will be all sorts of varying road conditions...moto riders would need to have adequate-good skills on gravel/dirt roads with "babyheads", some sand skills for intermittent brief stretches, and some willingness to ride in water 2-12 inches in depth in a few arroyos (traveled by ranchers, so no snorkels are needed)...and the ability to fix a flat.

If we end up with several guys on motos and a couple of 4-wheeled vehicles (not necessarily 4X4's) I would consider that a great combination. If more show an interest, folks would likely split into groups of their liking and do the route at their own pace....

At this time I am thinking the ride would look like this:

Day One: Mulege to San Juanico....sleep in San Juanico >>>
Day Two: San Juanico to Comondu to La Purisma/San
Isidro....sleep in La Purisma (limited accommodation
there)>>>
Day Three: San Isidro to Mulege via Guajademi route>>>>

OPTIONAL ROUTE: Day Two... San Juanico to La Purisma and
stay in LP overnight>>>
Day Three... LP to Comondu to
San Javier/ Loreto
Day Four....Loreto to Mulege

As accommodations are limited in these towns, folks might want to consider "camping"....the more people that do the ride, the less likely we are to find enough beds...unless you have local connections.

I consider "camping" to be a sleeping bag/pad/tent or tarp ...no more....

I try to look at this project as several good ride days....some great country to see... simple logistics (capable of being self-reliant)...some good folks to have fun with.

If we get folks with 4 wheeled vehicles, they could maybe carry camping gear for moto riders......that's worth a cerveza or two right there:biggrin:

The ride will start in Mulege....some might just want to go to San Juanico and back.....some may want to do the Three Day plan....the San Javier option would have dirtbikers riding pavement back to Mulege....

rts551 - 10-21-2016 at 02:45 PM

Baja 1000 race weekend. 16-20 Nov.

willyAirstream - 10-21-2016 at 03:05 PM

The baja mil is the northern loop this year, so it shouldn't have any effect on motogeds trip, but is something to consider if you are traveling from the north.

motoged - 10-21-2016 at 03:09 PM

Okay....ride will start in Mulege about Nov 21....base on the race dates and my schedule as I need to be out of Mulege Nov 28th....we will see who shows up in Mulege around that time....

The 1000 won't be in that area , but some folks might be involved with the race...

rts551 - 10-21-2016 at 03:35 PM

The baja mil is the northern loop this year, so it shouldn't have any effect on motogeds trip, but is something to consider if you are traveling from the north.

I only mentioned it because some folks will be involved and others spectate.

TMW - 10-22-2016 at 11:35 AM

I hope to join in the fun. Will stop in Ensenada for the 1000 then head south for your Loop Rally. I'll be in my Tacoma.

motoged - 10-22-2016 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I hope to join in the fun. Will stop in Ensenada for the 1000 then head south for your Loop Rally. I'll be in my Tacoma.

Cool.... :cool:looking forward to meeting more Nomads .... also looking forward to your Baja trip tales

motoged - 10-25-2016 at 09:09 AM

Nomads,
For those of you who have expressed an interest in this several-day adventure (more or less), I have set the following date as the start day in Mulege: November 23rd

Some have indicated they are involved with the Baja 1000 (spectators/support/racing), so I have left a few days after the race's finish to allow those folks to gather themselves together and make it to Mulege.

I will be in Mulege from around November 16th or 17th and will likely stay at La Hacienda...that gives folks time to regroup and for me to do some day riding (....and to catch up on my taco research) with anyone around who may be interested. I will be in a silver Chevy truck w/ BC plates or on a 450 KTM (orange)

For those folks who are thinking they can make the ride starting November 23rd, please send me a U2U so I can get a sense of who to look for and how many there may be.

I think a rider's meeting should occur the evening of Nov 22nd....likely at Scotty's as it is central...yet to be confirmed. This will give folks a chance to meet, discuss ride plan options, and get us ready for a departure Wednesday morning WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd

North of San Juanico....

West of Mulege...

Yum....

Breakfast at Equipales restaurant....

ehall - 10-25-2016 at 10:29 AM

Unfortunately I wont be making it. No time off left this year. Someone please try to save your GPS tracks.

motoged - 10-26-2016 at 03:11 PM

In my last post, I stated that Thursday, Nov 23rd would be the ride's start date. At this time. I will stick with that as well as a Wednesday, Nov 22nd as a riders meeting at Scotty's at 5:00 pm.

Several folks wanting to attend are hoping to be there by those dates but a few may be a day late. As such, I will ask those who can confirm their attendance by U2U to me so I can keep track.

WillyAirstream indicated that the mid-week start excludes interested locals as they will be working, so I told him that I was around the weekend of Nov. 18-20th and would love to ride with some locals for at least a day ride in the area....so that is also an option for those who can't make the Loop and aren't at the Baja 1000.

Please U2U me to keep my attendee's list up to date.....

David K - 10-26-2016 at 04:35 PM

Ged and any other Nomads:
If you spend any time in La Purisima and are interested in some historical research, I would like you to try and see if there are any ruins of the mission beyond the crypts and take photos, please. At best there are some foundation stones upon which the adobe church was built. It may be hidden by weeds. It is on the main road through town, east side of town, north side of road. N26°11.43', W112°04.37' Thank you!

Some old photos:

1906:

1926:

Man is walking in front of mission ruin.

1949:

1956:

Note the large crypts that are on the east side of (what was) the church.

Ateo took this photo of my 2012 book on the ruins (I think of one of the crypts) >>>

TMW - 10-26-2016 at 05:27 PM

Here is a GE image of the location in reference to the motel.

motoged - 10-26-2016 at 10:46 PM

Well...that's close to where I hope we will get rooms. It's a simple motel operated by a wonderful couple....and let's keep the focus on the ride :saint:

Latest Update...Oct 28th

motoged - 10-28-2016 at 10:00 AM

The Loop Rally is set to go with the aforementioned start date of Nov 23rd....and an evening rider's meeting at Scotty's 6:00 pm Nov 22nd. We have a few Tacomas and several moto riders at this time...a sensible number, but more may show up at the last minute.

I will keep things up to date on this thread.

WillyAirstream has informed me that Nov 19th and 20th is a national holiday celebrating revolution and independence: "Día de la Independencia"....and, as such, the revelry in Mulege will be duly noted with some locals itching to do a ride....so if anyone is in the barrio looking to explore for a day or two with local riders/drivers....it gives a good warm-up for the Baja Big Loop Rally :light:

BigBearRider - 10-28-2016 at 10:21 AM

This looks fantastic. I would really like to go. Not sure how to swing it, with my wife and stuff.

AKgringo - 10-28-2016 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
This looks fantastic. I would really like to go. Not sure how to swing it, with my wife and stuff.

Bring the stuff....leave the wife?

Pages:  1