BajaNomad

The San Clemente Pier Amigos Meeting in 2000 Photos!

David K - 1-22-2005 at 12:39 PM

In early 2000, Timothy Walker (www.timsbaja.com) and I decided to meet each other, as we were chatting about my web site. We met at the San Clemente Pier, per suggestion of Baja author Greg Niemann who also came.

I was fairly new to the Baja Internet and Tim invited others he knew to join us. I brought author Graham Mackintosh, as we were already friends from before the Internet days.

Several Amigos de Baja posters attended (many are now Baja Nomads), including Michelle ('M'), Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville, elgatoloco & BajaBarb, Whistler, Ferna de Tijuana ('fdt'), Lorenzo de Baja ('LdB'), Wild Bill & David Eidell.

Web site hosts invited by Tim also came: Carlos Fiesta (BajaExpo.com), Jens (Baja-Web.com), Dick Van Bree (BajaLinks.com) and it was quite a gathering!

After the pier meeting we went to a Mexican restaurant nearby and continued to party. I was asked, or told to have more events like this, and that is how my Viva Baja fiestas got their start (there have been 4), and from them, 'M' has had 4 BBBB camping fiestas in Baja.

I only found a few photos... fdt was taking pictures and maybe he can share some if he can find them after all these years!

Here, Lorenzo de Baja arrives and meets Mike Humfreville.

David K - 1-22-2005 at 12:41 PM

Fernando (Ferna de Tijuana or 'fdt' on Nomad) arrives...

David K - 1-22-2005 at 12:45 PM

Matt and Barbara (elgatoloco), and Norm (who makes web sites with Dick Van Bree of BajaLinks and Electraweb.com).

David K - 1-22-2005 at 12:48 PM

The late Jens (El Aleman) of Baja-Web, his lady friend, and Dick's wife Gisela Van Bree.

David K - 1-22-2005 at 12:51 PM

Gisela, Mike & Mary Ann Humfreville, and Graham Mackintosh... If I find more photos from this day, I will add them. I did take pictures of Michelle (M) and Whistler (Glenn), too.

Thanks David

Mike Humfreville - 1-22-2005 at 12:56 PM

We were soooo young! Well...

David K - 1-22-2005 at 05:03 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Glenn...

Yes, after that initial gathering at the San Clemente pier where we met, the first 'Viva Baja' was in late October, 2000: http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja

It does take a bit of effort and help to have the nice gatherings with guest speakers and slide shows or movies...

Perhaps in the not too distant future, as they were a great way to meet and talk about Baja and learn of new things going on.

The last Viva Baja, I had some great help from msal (now called Sally South) and Brandi and the Humfrevilles... http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja4

I will let you know...

Gypsy Jan - 1-22-2005 at 11:07 PM

So many good looking, happy people,

I guess that this is what Baja fever actually does;

burn out the stress and nastiness and petty stuff, letting what's important and real shine through.

Thanks David K!

David,

Mike Humfreville - 1-23-2005 at 12:04 AM

It's time for another get together. Seriously. I'm not getting a fair share of friendships lately. Let's set something up, amigo.

Mrs. ferna

fdt - 1-23-2005 at 09:09 AM

is telling me that she will look for them, she thinks they are in a box of pics from the Terranova days in Rosarito

Bob H - 1-23-2005 at 10:59 AM

Nice photos... everyone is happy. A getogether would be great! We are overdue.
Bob and Audrey H

David K - 1-23-2005 at 11:13 AM

Ah... the pressure is on! Well, it's about Baja, so really no pressure involved.

As you can see from the photos, Viva Baja has been held at a restaurant with limited space... Maybe an outdoor location and we could do a pot luck? Still invite Baja authors and businesses to attend, have Baja 'Show & Tell' to share your peninsula treasures or stories, and a day where the new Nomads can meet. I will see if an earlier location suggestion is still available.

Also, coming up for all to enjoy is Keri's booksigning and tequila tasting fiesta at the Pyramid Resort in April (in Plaza Del Mar, La Mision) and Baja Cactus Cultural Fiesta II in July (in El Rosario). :light::D

fdt - 1-23-2005 at 03:20 PM

Ever since the first one I still insist "do the next Viva Baja in Baja California "

My old stomping grounds!

Sallysouth - 1-23-2005 at 03:23 PM

Used to surf under the Fishermans when I was a "youngin"! I had no idea that was the begining of your VivaBaja parties. Hmmm, outside, maybe a large private peice of property, close to the ocean?I'll put my thinking cap on but usually these days it takes a while to fire up! Great photos of Jens, Mike and Maryanne, especially Matt and Barb(what a smile!) I just hope I'll be around for this next party(or not?) as I'll be headed to Baja Sur for a good stay, helping move the family, in March& april. BTW, The Fishermans was Not there then, just dated myself....Sal
:tumble:

[Edited on 1-23-2005 by Sallysouth]

hey david K. !!!!

bajanomadA - 1-23-2005 at 06:54 PM

Hey David....here are some of my pictures from the Baja Cactus.....

http://www.summerspiritjam.com/pfc/baja_cactus04/

[Edited on 1-24-2005 by bajanomadA]

"The Clan"

bajanomadA - 1-23-2005 at 06:57 PM

David K., Doug(Bajanomad), and Antonio

bajanomadA - 1-23-2005 at 07:00 PM

Thanks Antonio!!!

PS: It's Nichole (BajaNomad's Daughter)

bajanomadA - 1-23-2005 at 10:08 PM

Sorry...I probably scared you there for a sec. but it's just me....plain old Nichole!

David K - 1-24-2005 at 08:38 AM

Hi Nichole! Thanks for sharing the photos! In the first one is Satellite Man, David K, BajaCactus, Nichole (bajanomadA), and Neal Johns.

David K - 1-25-2005 at 08:35 AM

Here's Nichole at my Viva Baja 3 event in 2002, showing the door prize she won.

David K - 1-25-2005 at 08:38 AM

Here's Nichole being protected by Doug, at Viva Baja 2, in 2001.

WHOA!!! I was sooo young!!!

bajanomadA - 1-25-2005 at 09:06 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos....how long ago was that??? Like 3 years ago? Guess what!!! I'll be 17 ************* January!!!! Yay!!! Tell Sarah and Christopher I said Hi!!! Thanks again...and I'll be sure to keep up on the Baja trips!!!!
P.S. You still owe me a trip!!!
P.S.S. When is the next Viva Baja Get Together? We have a lot to catch up on!!!

[Edited on 1-26-2005 by bajanomadA]

[Edited on 1-26-2005 by BajaNomad]

David K - 1-25-2005 at 10:17 PM

Wow Nichole... almost 17!!! How fast you kids grow up! Here are you and Sarah at Viva Baja 3 in 2002, showing the Viva Baja spirit!

[Edited on 1-26-2005 by David K]

WOW!!!

bajanomadA - 1-25-2005 at 10:19 PM

How is Sarah by the way? And Christopher? When's the next trip?? I wanna go!!! Oh man, that's some scary stuff....looking back on that picture reminds of the good times...in Baja!!! Can't wait until the next Viva Baja Get Together!!!

[Edited on 1-26-2005 by bajanomadA]

David K - 1-25-2005 at 10:36 PM

Chris is right here watching TV, and healing up from a broken wrist (skateboarding) and a burned foot (cooking bacon with bare feet)! Sarah is at her friend's...

Baja trip??? Easter or is it Spring Break the next one the kids can go on. It would be great if Doug could take you all back to Baja again!

Viva Baja 5 is in the planning stages, thanks to all you Nomads requesting it! My web host, Dick is also pressuring me...!

I am leaning towards an outdoor picknic affair, all day 10-5 perhaps... It would be nice if we could do a slide show or video presentation, as well. Graham Mackintosh will do his new show about spending those months at 8,000 feet with the Baja dogs, if we can show slides somehow.

Here is Graham (on the right) with Larry Hahn http://www.bajadreams.com at Viva 3...