BajaNomad

Why I love the lagoons of Baja

Whale-ista - 1-6-2016 at 09:55 PM

Why I love going to the lagoons in Baja, despite the risks: it's not just the whales. It's also because:

1) Yvette gets to run around, off leash, to her heart's content

2) The light... amazing

3) The water... beautiful

4) The wildlife... gorgeous

5) Yes, there are few places in the world where you get all that- and whales, too!

[Edited on 1-7-2016 by Whale-ista]

David K - 1-6-2016 at 11:40 PM

Thank you!

DENNIS - 1-7-2016 at 07:28 AM

Nifty. Thanks.

shari - 1-7-2016 at 07:35 AM

please tell us about your 2nd whale trip...was that friendly whale one of that pair that were together? Did you see any more whales in labour...did our gal have her baby yet?

Whale-ista - 1-7-2016 at 03:34 PM

Shari- the photo of the whale was from last year. Other photos were from this weekend.

On my 2nd trip, mid-day Monday, I went out with Capt. Leopoldo, a family from Sweden (parents with 2 young girls) and 2 Italian visitors.

We saw several solo moms, and many tails. Then as we headed back to camp, one mom/calf pair was very comfortable and allowed us to get very close for several minutes.

Mom did a slow roll and showed us her belly. Baby swam alongside, and was pretty close to us. Everyone was enchanted! I think the baby was feeding.

I may have seen one birth, but from a distance. It was in the area to the east of the lagoon, where several moms were snoozing in the afternoon. Calm, smooth water so easy to see their profiles.

One mom had been very still for a long time, no calf in sight. Suddenly there was splashing, then a small head popped up, pretty high, out of the water. Then a tail flopped, some fins, then... calm again.

I was watching this from the end of the new dock thru binoculars, so can't swear it was a birth... but it was not like anything I've seen before!

All in all- another memorable trip!

shari - 1-7-2016 at 03:56 PM

That sure sounds like a birth all right...that's how it goes...first stage of labour is what we saw with the mamma fluking...tail out of the water with every breath...then she stops and humps her back up for each contraction. The baby comes out tail first, then mamma does a 360 degree spin....looks like splashing to break the umbilical cord and the baby pops up head first to take it's first breaths. Maybe we will see one on Thursday! We have room on this trip if anyone is in the neighbourhood and wants to join us, we will leave around 10 in the morning.

BajaBlanca - 1-8-2016 at 09:59 AM

what a beautiful series of photos!