BajaNomad

El Chapo Captured

Mika - 1-8-2016 at 11:42 AM

Just read this.
https://twitter.com/epn

durrelllrobert - 1-8-2016 at 12:26 PM

MEXICO CITY — Drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman has been captured, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto announced Friday via Twitter.

“Mission Accomplished,” the President wrote. “We have him.”

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/01/08/el-chapo-captured-in-mexico/

BornFisher - 1-8-2016 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

“Mission Accomplished,” the President wrote. “We have him.”

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/01/08/el-chapo-captured-in-mexico/

For now!

lizard lips - 1-8-2016 at 12:55 PM

Lets all have a pool on when he escapes next. My guess is May 12, 2018. That should give him plenty of time to grease whomever is needed.

I will put the first 20.00 in. (Pesos)

micah202 - 1-8-2016 at 01:03 PM

.. the best chance for him is sooner rather than later.

....word is he'll be taken NOB.

BajaNomad - 1-8-2016 at 01:10 PM

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1237351/mexican-presid...

http://www.gob.mx/semar/prensa/la-armada-de-mexico-informa-s...

BooJumMan - 1-8-2016 at 01:58 PM

Hope its true. Seems a bit sketchy on details and interesting this happens with another dramatic drop to the peso.

sancho - 1-8-2016 at 02:51 PM

Read a piece a few days ago, suggesting Mex did not want to
capture him, that his presence being free, calmed the fight
amoung the cartels for the vacuum he left being incarcerated.
I remember a line, 'Mex doesn't have a drug problem, the US does'

[Edited on 1-8-2016 by sancho]

motoged - 1-8-2016 at 03:27 PM

The current movie, Sicario, implies that the solution is to have a "manageable" cartel situation that has fewer people killed....

bajabuddha - 1-8-2016 at 03:48 PM

For some odd reason, to hear a President say "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED..." makes a pit in my stomach. Now with a power vacuum at the top there will be more in-fighting for position; if I were living in La Paz I would keep a third-eye open for the near future.

Best-case scenario, they extradite mui rapido to the U.S., but that would make Mexico lose face (as if there's anything left after his last escape). Worst case, they had a sales run of shovels at the Home Depot.....

chuckie - 1-8-2016 at 04:01 PM

He's not too happy with coming to the States...Obtaining all the special permits to dig and the environmental impact studies is bad enough, but when he was told he would have to do a competitive bid process for the job,,that tore it...

A Good Line

MrBillM - 1-8-2016 at 07:33 PM

Heard earlier during a discussion of the unlikelihood that Mexico would extradite him to the U.S. where he would be certain to NOT escape:

"The one Mexican that we WANT to come across the border, we can't get".

Another commentator said "Wow, we're going to hear it on that one:.

BornFisher - 1-8-2016 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
He's not too happy with coming to the States...Obtaining all the special permits to dig and the environmental impact studies is bad enough, but when he was told he would have to do a competitive bid process for the job,,that tore it...

Yep!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajarich - 1-8-2016 at 10:31 PM

Best solution would be if he was shot while trying to escape again. Seems like it would stop the embarrassing successful escapes. Not sure we want his buddies working on springing him from a US Prison, permit or not.

Get Out of Jail Fee

MrBillM - 1-9-2016 at 03:57 PM

Heard on CNN this a.m.:

Commentator: "WHY is it that they have such a hard time keeping him from escaping" ?

Analyst: "Simple. Guard makes 200 Bucks. El Chapo says 'I'll give you 200 Thousand. OR, I'll have your wife raped and murdered and your kids gutted".

Sounds like that sums it up pretty well.

norte - 1-9-2016 at 04:58 PM

He is well connected to government officials. Been paying them for years. Ran his Cartel from prison along with his so on the outside (being free they listened a little better). Come on. Its Mexico...he will soon be out again.

rts551 - 1-9-2016 at 06:11 PM

Mexico said today they are willing to let him go...but his lawyers have filed paperwork to keep in Mexico....

bajabuddha - 1-10-2016 at 08:52 AM

Sean Penn interviews El Chapo

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/%e2%80%98el-chapo%e2%80%...

Ain't it amazing that (at Guzman's invitation) Sean Penn gets to personally interview one of the world's most wanted men? It's going to be interesting to see if Penn broke any National or International laws regarding his faux-journalistic endeavors.

I found the article to be a good read, with some in-between-the-lines insights as to just how much reach Chapo really had/has. And, as the King Pin said himself, the traffic isn't going to stop regardless of who gets caught.

Best part is in the 'comments' section; one reader wrote in and said he's not surprised Penn was pretending to be a journalist; he's been pretending to be an actor for years......
:lol:

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-10-2016 at 09:42 AM

Chapo Guzman's son is probably placing blame on the Mexican actress and Sean Penn for his dad's capture. I wonder if they are in hiding! If not, they should be! Time will tell what will happen to them!

[Edited on 2-4-2016 by BajaNomad]

chippy - 1-10-2016 at 09:53 AM

Sean Penn musta hit it off big time with chapo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J8__fWphE0

AKgringo - 1-10-2016 at 10:05 AM

I wonder who will play the part of Sean Penn if a movie is made about this?

Makes Sense to ME

MrBillM - 1-10-2016 at 10:42 AM

Discussing the Sean Penn interview, one journalist was asked what they thought of the Unusual "VETO" power over content granted to El Chapo..................."Well, if I was interviewing someone who 'might' cut off my head, I'd give them whatever they demanded".

Good Point.

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2016 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Sean Penn interviews El Chapo

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/%e2%80%98el-chapo%e2%80%...

Ain't it amazing that (at Guzman's invitation) Sean Penn gets to personally interview one of the world's most wanted men? It's going to be interesting to see if Penn broke any National or International laws regarding his faux-journalistic endeavors.

I found the article to be a good read, with some in-between-the-lines insights as to just how much reach Chapo really had/has. And, as the King Pin said himself, the traffic isn't going to stop regardless of who gets caught.

Best part is in the 'comments' section; one reader wrote in and said he's not surprised Penn was pretending to be a journalist; he's been pretending to be an actor for years......
:lol:

I thought Penn's article was fascinating read. A normal working journalist could never gain the access that Penn did. it was fascinating story. I call that good journalism, and the story of getting the story was more interesting than chapo himself.

Re criticizing his acting,... I suppose you can do better? Ha ha! You're a hack!

P.s. I like Sean Penn's movies, I like him as an actor, usually find his movies great.

Osprey - 1-10-2016 at 11:07 AM

We all pay a lot of attention to what you think, how you feel, goat. Do you ever think about that when you hit the keyboard?

vandenberg - 1-10-2016 at 11:46 AM

When playing a lowlife part in a flick, Penn isn't too bad, and shouldn't be, he doesn't have to act.

sancho - 1-10-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
We all pay a lot of attention to what you think, how you feel, goat. Do you ever think about that when you hit the keyboard?

Interesting Jorge, at least the way I view BN, certain posters,
I will stop and see what they have to say, others maybe not so
much. Your posts occupy high level of interest. Same with Goat,
there is room for everybody here. Goat might not be the most
conventional of posters, maybe doesn't generally have run of the mill opinions, might not be in the majority camp, glad he's here,
read him or not, agree with him or not

durrelllrobert - 1-10-2016 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
When playing a lowlife part in a flick, Penn isn't too bad, and shouldn't be, he doesn't have to act.

Danny DeVito to play Chapo in the bedroom scenes with each of his wives. Penn to be his body double in the beheading scenes.

bajabuddha - 1-10-2016 at 11:06 PM

If El Chapo was hoping Señor Penn to play himself in his future bio-pic, it would be like asking Carol Kane to play Griselda Blanco.

Or asking mtgoat666 to play............. anything. :no:

BajaNomad - 5-7-2016 at 11:36 AM

Guzman transferred to prison in Juarez

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/americas/el-chapo-prison-trans...

chuckie - 5-7-2016 at 12:16 PM

The Crispee Cremes are fresher, the closer to the border one is....

ehall - 5-7-2016 at 12:35 PM

The tunnel has to be shorter also.

chuckie - 5-7-2016 at 01:01 PM

Ja, there is that...

Udo - 5-7-2016 at 06:06 PM

Our Feds don't have to travel as far.

SFandH - 5-7-2016 at 06:14 PM

Closer to where he doesn't want to be. The United States. He's headed for a super max solitary confinement box in the US where he'll stay until he goes insane and dies.

Sweetwater - 5-8-2016 at 11:22 AM

So, according to CNN, he's headed to NY for trial on multiple charges. There are also indictments from several other states, some of which have death penalties to go with the murder indictments. The US is a cross patch of state laws, what is the law in Mexico regarding the death penalty?

durrelllrobert - 5-8-2016 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Closer to where he doesn't want to be. The United States. He's headed for a super max solitary confinement box in the US where he'll stay until he goes insane and dies.
Already insane and the US probably had to take possibility of death sentence off in order to get extradition agreement. That means US taxes will be supporting him on death row. Maintaining each death row prisoner costs taxpayers $90,000 more per year than a prisoner in general population.

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Bubba - 5-8-2016 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Already insane and the US probably had to take possibility of death sentence off in order to get extradition agreement. That means US taxes will be supporting him on death row. Maintaining each death row prisoner costs taxpayers $90,000 more per year than a prisoner in general population.

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

He's far from insane.

bajabuddha - 5-8-2016 at 12:19 PM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/drug-boss-el-chapos-new-...

This sort-of explains the move, although I sense journalistic license involved in the story. He's been moved more than once, the motive being to keep him 'ahead' of escape plans. Personally I think with the vast network he most likely still controls, his end will be from murder inside the Joint or while 'trying' to escape, and from someone else with the same amount of power who took his place.

Mexico has no death penalty, and will not allow extradition to us unless we promise not to execute him (as Bob Durell said).

BajaNomad - 5-9-2016 at 07:07 PM

'El Chapo' Extradition To U.S. May Proceed, Mexican Judge Says

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/09/477358059/...

woody with a view - 5-9-2016 at 07:10 PM

It's a Shorty double. He's already awaiting trial at Gitmo.

BajaNomad - 5-21-2016 at 01:37 PM

Mexico to extradite drug boss Guzman to U.S., won't face death penalty

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-guzman-usa-idUSKCN0...

El Chapo

captkw - 5-21-2016 at 09:37 PM

The CIA (Cocaine International Aviation) dosnt care if you do drugs !! It just cares, Whose Drugs your using...So True

Barry A. - 5-21-2016 at 10:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
The CIA (Cocaine International Aviation) dosnt care if you do drugs !! It just cares, Whose Drugs your using...So True

So NOT true, Capt. I was involved in the Fed. "war on drugs" for about 10 years and believe me, we cared, and seized EVERYBODY'S drugs indiscriminately, and destroyed them all.

durrelllrobert - 5-22-2016 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

That means US taxes will be supporting him on death row until he dies. Maintaining each death row prisoner costs taxpayers $90,000 more per year than a prisoner in general population.

chippy - 5-22-2016 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

So NOT true, Capt. I was involved in the Fed. "war on drugs" for about 10 years and believe me, we cared, and seized EVERYBODY'S drugs indiscriminately, and destroyed them all.

Not quite. You may have seized all you could but "destoyed them all":lol:.Did you forget about selling these seized drugs in the USA to support your dirty little campaigns in C.A? "War on drugs" what a complete and total joke not to mention FAILURE.

Barry A. - 5-22-2016 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Not quite. You may have seized all you could but "destoyed them all":lol:.Did you forget about selling these seized drugs in the USA to support your dirty little campaigns in C.A? "War on drugs" what a complete and total joke not to mention FAILURE.

I can't speak for other "war" operations, but for our's we DID destroy everything we seized (tons of plants), usually nearby with huge bon-fires, or hauled off by helicopter to a pre-decided site. We were mostly involved with MJ growers on Public lands and their products.

David K - 5-22-2016 at 10:27 AM

I am still wondering that now with all of us having cell phones that can take pictures and film movies, why are we not seeing flying saucers anymore, like in years past??? So many reports from folks without a camera and then those few with a camera??? Now, we all have cameras, so where are the photos of our alien brothers???

:light::?::biggrin:

Ateo - 5-22-2016 at 10:29 AM

What an enormous waste of $$$ this war on drugs is. Hopefully someone sane will put an end to it soon. Legalize, regulate, tax, and support addicts with treatment. That's my plan when I run for president.

BajaTed - 5-22-2016 at 10:40 AM

At some point in the life of a HARD drug user; if He/She was physically placed in proximity of the closest point of origin that same HARD drug the whole system would collapse in on itself.

Its the same logic as the war on terror. Take the fight to the point of origin as close as politically possible.

Barry A. - 5-22-2016 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
At some point in the life of a HARD drug user; if He/She was physically placed in proximity of the closest point of origin that same HARD drug the whole system would collapse in on itself.

Its the same logic as the war on terror. Take the fight to the point of origin as close as politically possible.

Excellent, Ted. And that is exactly what we did--------destroy the drugs at "the point of origin". (tons and tons of it throughout Central and Northern CA, and S. Oregon). We always felt our operations HAD to have some positive impact on reducing the availability of drugs, and in our case we were being paid our salaries anyway as Ranger's and Special Agents so the cost to the taxpayers was minimal. None of us were hired exclusively to fight "the war"------it was a very minimal part of our jobs (5% + -) but we DID think it was important.

Barry A. - 5-22-2016 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am still wondering that now with all of us having cell phones that can take pictures and film movies, why are we not seeing flying saucers anymore, like in years past??? So many reports from folks without a camera and then those few with a camera??? Now, we all have cameras, so where are the photos of our alien brothers???

Man, ain't THAT the truth!!! :light:

[Edited on 5-22-2016 by Barry A.]

David K - 5-22-2016 at 11:25 AM

Man, ain't THAT the truth!!! :light:

Seriously, right?

Hola Barry

captkw - 5-22-2016 at 11:38 AM

We are talking apples and peachs when it comes to USFS and growing a weed in ca. I'm talking about the BIG picture of the drug trade into the USA, Not some pricks screwing up are forest's to grow pot (BAD) tHIS WAR ON DRUGS HAS DONE NOTHING GOOD FOR OUR PEOPLE (00ps Caps) and I have seen C140 loaded in nicky with coke (near Ollies point) who is gonna inspect a marine plane landing on the tarmac ?? answer:no one !! With all due respect for your view and will say you seem to always have been a straight shooter, I am talking about the tons of drugs that keep coming into the mother land of the usa..plain and simple "The War On Drugs" is like the "War on Terroisam" a BAD,BAD joke on the folks of the red,white and Blue..IMO BTW I Don't do drugs and I Live in B.C.S and santa cruz ca. where drugs are behind every redwood

chuckie - 5-22-2016 at 11:49 AM

I just quit takin piktures of alien beings since they took up residence just about everywhere as elected offishals....heck, ya see em on TV every day...Some of em write books about missions in Baja Kalifornia...

Barry A. - 5-22-2016 at 12:15 PM

Capt.----------I don't pretend to know the answer to the big-picture. I only know what WE were doing (BLM and NPS, not USFS) and it seemed logical and productive to us. Our aim was to eradicate the drugs that we personally were involved with, and could control--------and we did.

I just get annoyed with people making broad negative statements about a program that we who actually were involved knew had merit because we personally were in control of the results, at least at our level, and we KNEW it worked because we saw it with our own eyes.

I tend to distrust and be skeptical of stuff I hear or read as there is way too much baloney being passed around as fact by people that really are not in a position as far as I know to personally "know" the truth.

But, I always like to hear other's intelligent opinions. I really like to hear from the experts that are in positions to KNOW what is really happening, and perhaps you are one of those----I really don't know you or your background other than what you have said on NOMADS.

We have an illegal drug-use problem in this Country, and elsewhere-----I have seen that with my own eyes. Hopefully we all do what we can to reduce that problem-----I know that I have. I believe (hope?) we all should take personal-responsibility in reducing any illegal stuff-------otherwise I see little hope.

Just my opinion, of course.

To me, you are the go-to person for info on boats and motors-----and I respect you for that expertise until proven otherwise.

SFandH - 5-22-2016 at 12:23 PM

That means US taxes will be supporting him on death row until he dies. Maintaining each death row prisoner costs taxpayers $90,000 more per year than a prisoner in general population.

pffft, no big deal. American taxpayers pay $39 billion dollars per year to maintain the highest incarceration rate in the world. Many think a shameful statistic.

$90K is 0.0002% of that amount

But, if that's still too much for you, we could let some non-violent marijuana convicts out of jail to cover the Chapo costs and right some wrongful imprisonments to boot!

http://www.cheatsheet.com/personal-finance/what-are-americas...

[Edited on 5-22-2016 by SFandH]

Barry A. - 5-22-2016 at 01:34 PM

Why in the world the USA would even want him under those circumstances is beyond me. He deserves to die----period. He is a total liability to society.

Cisco - 5-22-2016 at 03:00 PM

We are talking apples and peachs when it comes to USFS and growing a weed in ca. I'm talking about the BIG picture of the drug trade into the USA, Not some pricks screwing up are forest's to grow pot (BAD) tHIS WAR ON DRUGS HAS DONE NOTHING GOOD FOR OUR PEOPLE (00ps Caps) and I have seen C140 loaded in nicky with coke (near Ollies point) who is gonna inspect a marine plane landing on the tarmac ?? answer:no one !! With all due respect for your view and will say you seem to always have been a straight shooter, I am talking about the tons of drugs that keep coming into the mother land of the usa..plain and simple "The War On Drugs" is like the "War on Terroisam" a BAD,BAD joke on the folks of the red,white and Blue..IMO BTW I Don't do drugs and I Live in B.C.S and santa cruz ca. where drugs are behind every redwood

Was thinking of the bumper stickers I saw on Coronado vehicles during the drugs for guns time of the mid-80's.

"GOD BLESS OLLIE"

If you want to stop drugs, stop supporting them.

Same with terrorism.

If you want to stop terrorism, stop supporting it.

The U.S. is the #1 instigator of terrorism throughout the world.

durrelllrobert - 5-22-2016 at 03:20 PM

Plenty of pictures taken of the subject of this thread. Need to look elswere for spacey stuff.

Barry A. - 5-22-2016 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

Was thinking of the bumper stickers I saw on Coronado vehicles during the drugs for guns time of the mid-80's.

"GOD BLESS OLLIE"

Same with terrorism.

You want to explain that one to me, Cisco---------just how are we "terrorizing" the world???

LancairDriver - 5-22-2016 at 05:53 PM

Some years back my wife and I were checking in for for fuel and to clear customs in San Fillipe after flying in from the U.S..We were the only ones there at first until a Cessna 210 flew in for fuel. Four rather tough looking Mexicans got out and jumped in in front of us to pay. I was mildly irritated and started to say so something to the Mexican customs guy and he quietly said "be careful,bad people",while the short stocky member with a mustache stared bullets through my wife. He spooked her pretty good and made a lasting impression on her.A few weeks later we were watching the news on TV and there was none other than El Chapo, who we had never heard of before, being arrested for the first time.We immediately recognized the unmistakable character we had encountered in San Fillipe. You meet some interesting folks in Baja.

Cisco - 5-22-2016 at 07:29 PM

"GOD BLESS OLLIE"

Same with terrorism.

You want to explain that one to me, Cisco---------just how are we "terrorizing" the world???

There are bunches of references Barry relating to the specific instances in different country's. We have boots on the ground and 'assets' in 168 countries at this time.

This one is pretty comprehensive and you can branch out from there.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/11/if-we-want-to-stop-te...

LancairDriver - 5-22-2016 at 07:57 PM

"GOD BLESS OLLIE"

Same with terrorism.

There are bunches of references Barry relating to the specific instances in different country's. We have boots on the ground and 'assets' in 168 countries at this time.

This one is pretty comprehensive and you can branch out from there.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/11/if-we-want-to-stop-te...

Here's another example by a pretty credible source.

http://sputniknews.com/columnists/20160415/1038079532/us-neo...

Barry A. - 5-23-2016 at 08:30 AM

BREEDING TERRORISTS

Sorry Cisco, I just don't buy that argument as a serious problem. All Nations have radicals that see boogy-men, and you can call them "terrorists" if you choose to, and make your own interpretations. We have our own right here in the USA (Malhuer Wildlife Area, the Bundy Ranch episode, Sagebrush Rebellion, etc.). They will always be with us here, and around the world. Yes, it is wise to be aware of them, both inside and outside the Govt., and in this world, but I am not going to be staying up at night worrying about them, at least not yet. But I agree that it is worth keeping our eyes open--------and being aware. That is what Law Enforcement does, to the best of their ability, and we do an exceptional job at it in this Country, IMO.

The stuff you link is always interesting, to say the least, but I think over-the-top conjecture in most cases.