BajaNomad

kayak fishing in mag bay

buddha - 1-14-2016 at 09:58 AM

Looking for information on mag bay for a group of us interested in camping down there and kayak fishing. There is not much information on the internet it seems about fishing this area particularly with kayaks.

Any information appreciated.

pacificobob - 1-15-2016 at 08:21 AM

buddah, i am also interested in what you discover. please post a report.

Mula - 1-15-2016 at 08:40 AM

Kayak fishing is best from the Santo Domingo area.

Don't know about around San Carlos, but just kayaking is o.k. from Lopez Mateos. But not the fishing.

willardguy - 1-15-2016 at 12:29 PM

I kayak fished a bunch of it....could only scratch taco bass and a couple corvina!

bajagrouper - 1-15-2016 at 01:10 PM

I was under the impression that fishing and private boats were not allowed during whale season........

Yellowtail_Fever - 1-15-2016 at 02:47 PM

I'm interested in what you find out too. I've had the burn to do some yak fishing from the Baja but have not yet found or organized a group. I will probably end up taking my first stab at it over on the Sea side at either San Marcos or Tortuga Island (our usual fishing spots). Of course this requires having a larger boat for overall support. Add me as a friend and we can trade reports and info.

Mula - 1-15-2016 at 05:23 PM

WillardGuy is right. Only a few corvina and taco bass around unless you can get close to the rocks and mangroves close to the bocas and that is too dangerous in a kayak.

If you fish around the mangroves and boca rocks you can get eel, pargo, corvina, snook, halibut and grouper. Nothing large, but dinner.

Yes, you can fish when the whales are here. Just need to stay close to shore getting around the areas they are.

Kayaking around where the whales are is dangerous too - because you have no fast way to get out of their way.

hombre66 - 1-15-2016 at 06:34 PM

Fished the mangroves in mid November during shrimp season and came up with zip except for a few dink t fish and "taco"(spotted bay?) bass.Was taken out by a local guide that usually does whales,so we weren't sure we were getting the best knowledge for fishing. The middle of the bay just off the north end of San Carlos yielded some toad spotties and trigs. An easy stroke for a 'yak.

dtbushpilot - 1-15-2016 at 08:24 PM

You might have better luck asking for GPS locations of surf breaks..:tumble::tumble:

[Edited on 1-16-2016 by dtbushpilot]

woody with a view - 1-15-2016 at 08:26 PM

:light:don't do it!:light:

msteve1014 - 1-16-2016 at 10:30 AM

It gas been more than a few years , but we had many great trips fishing in a zodiac near La Poza Grande. Lots of different fish, and many too large to stop before getting back in to the mangrove roots. Very few people came by the camp and we saw even fewer on the water. We were always there for Christmas vacation.

Mula - 1-16-2016 at 01:59 PM

Inside the bay fishing has really dropped in the last couple of years and even when you do catch something worth keeping, it is much smaller than say 4 or 5 years ago.

Weather, water too warm, nets?