BajaNomad

Coco corner to HWY 1

lineman bill - 1-15-2016 at 01:56 PM

I want to travel this section with a long travel trailer.

DawnPatrol - 1-15-2016 at 02:00 PM

Somebody a few weeks ago posted a VIDEO of the entire road... wish I could find it now.
It looks great, even doable (albeit at slow speeds) with a travel trailer
Can others chime in?
Anyone find the video of the road for the gentleman?
Alan From San Diego

David K - 1-15-2016 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lineman bill  

Why, do you hate the trailer?
:lol:
Sorry... but it will mess it up totally... even if you don't exceed 5 mph for the 23 miles of dirt. Sharp turns, lots of trucks, construction vehicles, all spell doom to the idea.

There are 10 miles of dirt before Coco's and 13 after.

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by David K]

David K - 1-15-2016 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
Somebody a few weeks ago posted a VIDEO of the entire road... wish I could find it now.
It looks great, even doable (albeit at slow speeds) with a travel trailer
Can others chime in?
Anyone find the video of the road for the gentleman?
Alan From San Diego

rts551 - 1-15-2016 at 02:25 PM

Lately I have seen a number of trailers and fifth wheels on the road. All poking along...none stranded nor doomed. Beware old information.

The worst sections were being maintained by the construction crews.

but

The rains a week ago did do some damage and the construction crews were not back to work yet..

BajaUtah - 1-15-2016 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lineman bill  

Have at it and report back. We can only point and laugh.

I almost think a "long trailer' would have more trouble with the vados south of SF. There were a lot of deep gouges in the pavement last time I was through there.

rts551 - 1-15-2016 at 02:27 PM

Best to talk to someone who has taken a trailer through. Might be one over on TalkBaja (facebook). From one poster over there:

"Pulled my 23 ft travel trailer .breeze to Coco's then last 23 mi was very doable, just took my time , would do it again . That was in beginning of November ."

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by rts551]

David K - 1-15-2016 at 02:36 PM

Here's a shorter video, taken at normal speed... where you can sense the bumps along this good part... northbound from Chapala....

David K - 1-15-2016 at 02:40 PM

Oh, anyone can do it... but all the wooden cabinets inside a long travel trailer will be trashed... They all should be unloaded and boxed up on the floor of the trailer. Secure the cabinets with bungees unless they have secure locking doors. Stop each hour of the drive (every 5 miles) and inspect all movable and bolted items, inside and out.

4x4abc - 1-15-2016 at 05:05 PM

truck drivers (semi's) use the road on a regular basis
several every day

what happened to all your Baja spirit?

bajabuddha - 1-15-2016 at 07:30 PM

Don't.

Paulclark - 1-15-2016 at 08:11 PM

Do, transport trucks use the route to save time and avoid Hwy 1. The road is wide and has no ugly dips or vados.... but it is rocky and rough. With a travel trailer budget 2 hours and relax, you will get through. In 1990 it took me 2 days, with some side trips, this year it took 1 hour with an FJ and no trailer, and for NORRA in 2014 with a car hauler
2 hours.

Much better and more relaxing than Hwy 1.

rts551 - 1-15-2016 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am looking forward to hearing from 'lineman bill' AFTER he takes his long trailer over it! I wish him well, I just don't want him to think it is a smooth ride for a travel trailer... no matter if it is possible or not.

Maybe have his wife ride back there to keep the cabinets closed (like in a Lucy and Desi movie I once saw)!

This is your point of reference for such a qualified statement?

Gulliver - 1-15-2016 at 08:48 PM

Old info but i went through Northbound last Spring towing an 8' cargo trailer and there was lots of stuff scrambled around inside. Took about two or three hours.

Somehow my dry fire extinguisher emptied itself all over the place. Must have gotten excited or something.

[Edited on 1-16-2016 by Gulliver]

Tioloco - 1-15-2016 at 11:03 PM

Lineman Bill-
Take your trailer. Not any different than most other desert roads that many people take their trailers down regularly for hunting and camping trips. It's not nearly as bad as many would like to think...

ligui - 1-16-2016 at 07:48 AM

Drove down that road 18 yrs ago pulling a 20 ft camper and had friends along that had a large Rv . We went slow and made it to hwy 1 with only a few things to put back in order . Key word is Slow .

Going to be driving down hwy 5 again this year to Ligui in april . Looking forward to seeing how things have changed in that many years .

Not even worried about the road it's Baja and thats where the fun begins . :bounce:

cliffh - 1-16-2016 at 11:40 AM

no problem, i drop truck from 80 to 50, 5th wheel 80 to 50, quad trailer 50 to 30. Air up when back on the highway Buy a bunch of tile sponges, they work great for tv, stereo equip, etc use as wedges between appliances and walls.. Have favorite beverage drive slow , check every now and then you might need more ice and enjoy the view. Fun travels Cliff

Pescador - 1-17-2016 at 09:43 AM

Well, I have a friend from Colorado who is 87 years old and he has a 31 ft Airstream Trailer with triple axle. He read all the reports and took that road last spring. No problem, he has driven the Baja almost every winter for a long time and he thought it was OK. He took it slowly but he figured it was still worth it to see the area and save time (like at 87 that is really important), but overall he thought it was a positive experience.

bkbend - 1-17-2016 at 06:50 PM

I traveled it yesterday, it is better than last year but still some rough patches. The worst is up the canyon and over the hump between Coco's and Chapala. It is still rocky and rough but no big dips or humps to hang up a trailer. Reducing air in the tires will help lessen the shocks to the vehicles. The biggest problem I saw was clearance for a low vehicle over exposed rocks.

Shortly after the pavement ended I passed a small nissan riding very low. They went by while we were having a cold one and visiting with Coco. When I caught up with him again they stopped and a three people got out and said they were bottoming out over some rocks and they wondered if I could take a passenger to lighten their load. I looked at the largest and asked if it would be him. Yes. He was 270 lbs. The driver of the Nissan said to drop him off at the llantera at Hwy 1. I told him there were three other rigs at Coco's when I left and he might be able to off-load another passenger with one of them. As we were driving our new passenger said there were 5 folks in the nissan plus all their camping gear and food in the trunk and a rooftop carrier. They were from Mexicali and headed to see the whales at Laguna San Ignacio then off to see some cave paintings. We had a great visit and I wished him luck on the rest of their travels. They still had more dirt roads to traverse. Bottom line: anything can take the road if you go slow enough and don't mind some minor collateral damage.

rts551 - 1-17-2016 at 07:49 PM

Are the road crews back to work?

bkbend - 1-18-2016 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Are the road crews back to work?

Chapala side, no. A few people and a little work being done on the north end. I forgot to mention that my passenger from Mexicali said it was **supposed** to be finished this year.

rts551 - 1-19-2016 at 07:10 AM

They are not back to work then. in December there were well over 300 people working and then in Jan just a few on the east side. Wonder if there is a "new" contract problem.

Paper was advertising it would be finished this year.

Phil S - 1-20-2016 at 10:01 AM

Without going back& looking it up.I want to thank that person for posting it. We drove it two years ago, and next trip down we will be going that way again. Again. Thank you for posting the video.

David K - 1-20-2016 at 01:10 PM

Funny how smooth it seems at fast speed, but rough when seen at normal driving speed, as in the second video.

brewer - 1-24-2016 at 04:51 PM

That truck that passed him was hauling! I could never do that with my full size Dodge and Callen. Just seemed to beat the crap out of things. I go slow and air down. I love that road. One of the last dirt roads left. Enjoy it. I'll be driving it this Saturday, the 30th. I'll report when I get back.

Drove it on the 19th of January

John M - 1-24-2016 at 09:23 PM

Chapala to Coco's - first few miles is potholed and rutted though better than in previous years. As you start to climb you will be on a portion used by construction equipment so the middle 3 or 4 miles is pretty decent, actually smooth for some distance. The last 4 or so miles into Coco's is a little better than in the past. All in all - improving.

Coco's to ten miles east (to the pavement) - Again you'll be on a pretty smooth construction related road bed for 3 or 4 miles of the ten. The remaining 6 or 7 miles is better than it used to be.

John M

MICK - 1-25-2016 at 09:08 PM

I agree with John. Drove it yesterday. Way better than last year

Maron - 1-25-2016 at 10:04 PM

Slow but steady

RenoJoe - 1-25-2016 at 10:19 PM

Good, I will be traveling south with my Southwind and Pilot between the 3rd and the 5th of Feb. Slowly with normal air pressure.

MICK - 1-27-2016 at 08:16 AM

Joe , I will be headed thru again on the third but leaving my house by Mexicali about 7 am. White chev pop top van will wave as we go by.
Mick

For BKBEND

TomasGS - 1-27-2016 at 05:48 PM

ForBkbend, I'm going to Gonzaga from Mexicali this weekend for the first time, as for the climate is it chilly at night? How about the water?

Thank you

RenoJoe - 1-27-2016 at 08:34 PM

Mick, I'm trying to leave the 2nd thru San Luis, how do you know I won't be passing you? See you on the road or whale trip.

MICK - 1-27-2016 at 09:52 PM

Tomasgs, it will be chilly and maybe some wind just be ready for that. Should be nice during the day.

Renojoe. I live between hwy 2 and San Felipe so you will pass by my house on the second. We will be passing you on the 3rd
See you there.

rts551 - 1-28-2016 at 07:32 AM

Forecast is for Rain on Sunday. 20-30MPH wind on Monday. 10-15 mph on Tuesday.

MICK - 1-28-2016 at 07:46 AM

Good thing we're not leaving until Weds

rts551 - 1-28-2016 at 07:51 AM

I was traveling on Monday. I may wait now.

[Edited on 1-28-2016 by rts551]

TomasGS - 1-28-2016 at 10:45 AM

Mick, rts551, Thank you!

RenoJoe - 2-5-2016 at 07:40 PM

Drove Gonzaga to Chapala on the 3rd no problem with my motor home towing my Honda Pilot. 2 hours and 40 minutes with 2 stops.

basautter - 2-6-2016 at 06:00 AM

Awesome video. Leaves nothing for the imagination! :bounce::bounce:

rts551 - 2-6-2016 at 07:23 AM

Saw you motoring down the road at a pretty good clip RenoJoe.

RenoJoe - 2-6-2016 at 02:45 PM

I thought I drive like an old man

David K - 2-6-2016 at 08:10 PM

Parnelli Jones is an old man now!:light:

RenoJoe - 2-6-2016 at 09:12 PM

Maybe I should do the Baja 1000 in my motorhome

David K - 2-6-2016 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  
Maybe I should do the Baja 1000 in my motorhome

Yes! Way to go Parnelli! :smug::light::cool::bounce:

rts551 - 2-7-2016 at 08:09 AM

I thought I drive like an old man

No. I was impressed. No problems inside? Many have been asking about motorhomes and trailers. What is your recommendation. I do not drive fast and in fact this time I had a washer in the back so slower than usual. No need to race along.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by rts551]

weebray - 2-7-2016 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  
no problem, i drop truck from 80 to 50, 5th wheel 80 to 50, quad trailer 50 to 30. Air up when back on the highway Buy a bunch of tile sponges, they work great for tv, stereo equip, etc use as wedges between appliances and walls.. Have favorite beverage drive slow , check every now and then you might need more ice and enjoy the view. Fun travels Cliff

This is very bad advise. I think it would be foolish to drive that road in ANY vehicle at 50 to 80 when it was icy.

ehall - 2-7-2016 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  

This is very bad advise. I think it would be foolish to drive that road in ANY vehicle at 50 to 80 when it was icy.

Plus it would be hard not to spill your drink at that speed! Haha!

David K - 2-7-2016 at 12:14 PM

Ummm, weebray... while he leaves out the details, I think we can assume Cliff is talking about AIR PRESSURE in the tires, not Miles Per Hour... and more ice in your DRINK, not on the road.

:biggrin:

rts551 - 2-7-2016 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ummm, weebray... while he leaves out the details, I think we can assume Cliff is talking about AIR PRESSURE in the tires, not Miles Per Hour... and more ice in your DRINK, not on the road.

:biggrin:

Do you really thinklso David? Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Sweetwater - 2-7-2016 at 01:25 PM

So, to sum this up, icy road conditions will cause folks in RV's or towing trailers to slow down from 80 to 50 mph while drinking c-cktails on the road past Coco's to Chapala and Highway 1.

Any advise for those of us on motos?

RenoJoe - 2-7-2016 at 02:35 PM

If there's that much ice on the road near Coco's I may bring Coco a snow board :bounce on my next trip south. I will be stopping there going north on the 8th

mcnut - 2-7-2016 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
So, to sum this up, icy road conditions will cause folks in RV's or towing trailers to slow down from 80 to 50 mph while drinking c-cktails on the road past Coco's to Chapala and Highway 1.

Any advise for those of us on motos?

Sure,
Outfit your moto with one of those gimbaled drink holders and wear a open-face helmet or use a hydration drink systems, and mount studded ice racing tires. Speeds and PSI are at your discretion, but I have been taught all my life that more of everything is always better.

Personally I would shoot for triple digits.

Bruce

brewer - 2-8-2016 at 05:41 PM

Just drove it Feb. 4th. I didn't air down going south but did going back north. I will still air down. The road is in better shape than the past, but still rough.

There is absolutely no work going on. There is still a lot of work to do. It won't be done anytime soon.

David K - 2-8-2016 at 06:41 PM

Those guys must be paid by the hour with no completion bonus? That's okay... because once it's done... more traffic will go that way for the shorter/ quicker drive north!

MICK - 2-8-2016 at 09:20 PM

Not sure what Brewer saw but I have driven it 4 times in the last three weeks. There is at least 4 different crews working. They are pouring culverts and lots of heavy equipment by chapala.
I agree there will be lots more traffic. I think there already is.

David K - 2-9-2016 at 09:22 AM

Thanks, MICK. Too bad, really... but the 23 dirt miles are giving folks a pounding so it might as well get paved to preserve the parts and tires!

It sure has been a long time coming!
The graded road from Chapala to Puerto Calamajué was in place in 1983 and the graded road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga and on to that Puerto Calamajué road (the junction would become Coco's Corner in a few years) was built in 1986-87.

Those two graded roads replaced the Jeep trail of around 1955, created by Arturo Grosso (Mama Espinoza's brother) between the sulfur mine and Rancho Chapala. The government did run a dozer over the Jeep trail around 1959, improving the road built by Grosso.

The route to Chapala from Las Arrastras (near today's Coco's Corner) was so bad, however, main traffic went via Calamajué Canyon (past the mission), so in the 60's and 70's, to 1983, Hwy. 5 was in the Calamajué river instead of over the mountain it now takes.

Ateo - 2-9-2016 at 01:48 PM

Went thru last Thursday. They're grading from HWY 1 now just south of current road and the section that you can drive on was smooth. Took 1 hour from Gonzaga to hwy 1.

RenoJoe - 2-9-2016 at 06:43 PM

just came north on the 8th 2 hours 10 minutes. Chapala to Gonzaga no problem Southwind towing
Honda Pilot. will do it again next month.

rts551 - 2-9-2016 at 06:59 PM

just came north on the 8th 2 hours 10 minutes. Chapala to Gonzaga no problem Southwind towing

Was the road from hwy 1 to the other side of the lake bed open? (see post above). When you and I went through on the 3rd we still had the old road to go on.

No pounding and ruining your tires and parts? my truck is still new.

MICK - 2-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

Still the old road but getting closer

Ateo - 2-18-2016 at 07:46 PM

Was the road from hwy 1 to the other side of the lake bed open? (see post above). When you and I went through on the 3rd we still had the old road to go on.

No pounding and ruining your tires and parts? my truck is still new.

The road from Hwy 1 to the other side of the lake bed was being worked on when I went thru. Just east of the lake bed the old road and new road appeared to connect for a sweet graded section. 50MPH was easy, but short lived.

I'm headed back thru in 2 weeks with someone in a sedan. I'm wondering if I should miss this crossover to the Cortez side for fear of bottoming out and getting flat tires. The Mexicans do it in small cars so I say "go for it", but not sure if my brother will feel the same.

Came north yesterday(2/18/16)

slspfm - 2-19-2016 at 08:29 AM

Came through yesterday with no trouble driving a small Jeep 2014 Cherokee, 4x4 latitude. Had no problems with height. Took an hr. and 10 minuets to make it 22+ miles. Lots of construction in the canyon /mountain areas. starting to set trusses for bridge # V. Lot of work yet to be done especially when you see where the culverts are placed and the mountains to be moved to get there. the road is doable just have good tires and watch where your going.

David K - 2-19-2016 at 09:02 AM

Thank you and welcome slspfm!

KurtG - 2-19-2016 at 02:39 PM

I motorcycled it on the 17th and I think the dirt portion is as good or better than I have ever seen it. Coco was at home and at age 79 looks in very good condition.

RenoJoe - 2-19-2016 at 08:21 PM

Air down would be best. I ran 85 pounds on my motorhome. I think I will try 50 next time.

brewer - 3-1-2016 at 10:41 AM

They are back to work in all areas. The road is still rough, air down..

Carol1952 - 3-9-2016 at 08:15 AM

First post! Took the road yesterday in a 2010 Ford Taurus coming north from Guerrero Negro. Lots of work on the first 5-6 miles on the Chapala side. New road will parallel the old road just to the south on the Chapala side. Road work camp about 6-7 miles in, lots of earth moving & grading equipment on this side hard at work.

Did NOT air down as we had not planned to take this route and had no tire inflator with us. But after talking to a number of people in Guerrero Negro who had taken this route, decided to take the dirt. Husband hates Hwy 1 north of Guerrero Negro.

Not one problem. Go slow & take your time enjoying the ride. First 13 miles are a little rough, but last 10 are a piece of cake. Even with a 20 minute stop at Coco's for a visit & a cold beer, took us about 1 hr, 45 mins total. Front bumper which hangs down did clip a rock or two, but survived intact and we never bottomed out. Plan to do it again in May.... this time in a truck.... with a tire inflator.

David K - 3-9-2016 at 08:54 AM

Thank you Carol, and welcome to Nomad!

rts551 - 3-9-2016 at 05:22 PM

Also did it yesterday pulling a flatbed trailer. new roadbed is within a mile of HWY 1.

willardguy - 3-9-2016 at 06:22 PM

Also did it yesterday pulling a flatbed trailer. new roadbed is within a mile of HWY 1.

you think they'll ever do something to close off that mile deep well at chapala? man that thing intrigues and terrifies me! always trying to get ONE OF MY BUDDY"S to go down on a rope!:lol:

PaulW - 3-9-2016 at 06:50 PM

tell us where it is. coords?

rts551 - 3-9-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

you think they'll ever do something to close off that mile deep well at chapala? man that thing intrigues and terrifies me! always trying to get ONE OF MY BUDDY"S to go down on a rope!:lol:

pictures and maps pls.:lol:

liknbaja127 - 3-9-2016 at 08:06 PM

Went through on Sunday, We all had 4 wheel drives, was a little bumpy at some times! averaged around 40 mph, pulling trailer take
your time! have good tires, and a spare! will be good. Stop and say
happy B-day to Coco 79 anos!

rts551 - 3-11-2016 at 07:12 AM

Noticed that the new gas station to be built is owned by Los Pinos. Am hoping for a hotel either there or in Gonzaga/Rancho Grande.

redhilltown - 3-23-2016 at 11:46 PM

Welcome Carol but in with all due respect, air down! Just have a way to air back up! There are some good discussions on threads here as to what to buy...just get a good one. Like coolers, tires, and cigars, some things for Baja are worth getting the best!

rts551 - 3-24-2016 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Welcome Carol but in with all due respect, air down! Just have a way to air back up! There are some good discussions on threads here as to what to buy...just get a good one. Like coolers, tires, and cigars, some things for Baja are worth getting the best!

with all due respect, many of us (including out esteemed DK) have not aired down any more now that it is only 23 miles of grades road. If you have the time and means, go ahead...but it is not really necessary any more. I travel this road every couple of months. Its no longer an adventure.

Bajaboy - 3-24-2016 at 08:01 AM

Drove it on 3/22 from Gonzaga. They are working hard in the mountains and it looked like they are getting ready to pave from Chapala north.

No need to air down in my mind....

David K - 3-24-2016 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  

with all due respect, many of us (including out esteemed DK) have not aired down any more now that it is only 23 miles of grades road. If you have the time and means, go ahead...but it is not really necessary any more. I travel this road every couple of months. Its no longer an adventure.

I did air down, but that was last July. It was in my trip report.

Phil C - 3-25-2016 at 06:06 AM

Even for the 23 miles I think it's well worthwhile to air down. Makes a world of difference. If you don't carry air, there's a tire shop at either end, well the one to the north is at Gonzaga which leaves a few miles of pavement if you're northbound.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/arb-e-z-deflator-kit/?gclid=CK...

One of these works well and fast

[Edited on 3-25-2016 by Phil C]

redhilltown - 3-25-2016 at 11:41 PM

Sounds like it is truly graded...but we all know that can change relatively fast. But with a Ford Taurus on 23 miles of Mexican road (as to cell service/breakdowns) I would still air down to save stress on the vehicle. If you have the right rig, the right experience, and the right tires it is an easier call.

bajadogs - 3-25-2016 at 11:47 PM

Yes - Air down to ~20 psi. It makes a huge difference and as Phil says, you can air up at either end of the dirt. Tip the young men.

edit lame typo

[Edited on 3-26-2016 by bajadogs]