BajaNomad

Whales at Lopez Mateos

Phil C - 2-3-2016 at 10:24 AM

Anyone know if there are plenty of whales in the Bahia?

Howard - 2-3-2016 at 10:42 AM

Going over there next Monday or Tuesday and if no one else reports, I'll let you know.

LaTijereta - 2-3-2016 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Going over there next Monday or Tuesday and if no one else reports, I'll let you know.

Are you taking the new boat to fish inside? Would like to hear a report from the Bay....

Howard - 2-3-2016 at 02:12 PM

Nope, taking some friends to see those big blubbery critters. Leave LTO in the A.M., stop at the clam shack on the way back to LTO that afternoon.

Phil C - 2-3-2016 at 04:26 PM

Howard we're going over next week, let us know how it was. Clam Shack is great! Thanks

LaTijereta - 2-3-2016 at 04:36 PM

Make it "Tuesday".. as the Clam Shack has been closed on Mondays...:cool:

Mula - 2-4-2016 at 06:05 AM

There are lots of whales in the bay at Lopez Mateos.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are the lest busy days -

1000 pesos for 1 to 6 people per panga for 1 hour. For the best experience - go for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Piratas Tours has a beautiful facebook page and Jimmy Camacho speaks English: 613 113 0761

And e mail: ballenas4@hotmail.com

Mula - 2-4-2016 at 06:10 AM

As for fishing nothing much going on ourside with the big seas and wind.
Maybe this week-end if it lays down.

Caught a 6 kilo Pargo, a bunch of corvina and llittle huachos at Santo Domingo a week or so ago. No halibut or grouper.

First hand blubber report

Howard - 2-9-2016 at 12:38 PM

Went to see the whales in Lopez yesterday, Monday February 8th.

A total of 4 of us and ran into chamber of commerce weather. Water was flat as a pancake and the temp in the mid 70s.
Absolutely no crowds. Around a 2 hour drive from Loreto with the road in good shape.

Mula was spot on, 1,000 pesos for the boat for one hour and we rented the boat for a total of 2 hours. The friendly whales were located this time at the south part of the lagoon so it took around a steady 20 minute ride to get there. There were whales along the way but they did not seem interested in us. Very clean boat with a Honda 4 stroke and we went out with Saul Rigoberto ******. (Rigo) He was extremely respectful of the whales and their calves by backing away when he felt that they were being bunched in by other Pangas and Mama temporarily got visually separated from baby.

Once we got to the south end the critters and their calves were very friendly and came to the Panga for touching. I guess the real gage of a successful whale trip is if you get "whale snot" blown on you and I guess this was a very successful trip as we got a lot of the spray in the boat and on us.

Good food from one of the food stands, reasonably priced and the whale t/shirts were only around $8 and nice quality and colors.

I give the day a complete thumbs up!

If you have any questions or I can help ya, just ask and I will try and help you with any additional information in having a very special day.

Phil C - 2-9-2016 at 04:16 PM

Thanks Howard for the great report, we'll be going over next Tuesday. Hope we have that good weather.

Bajahowodd - 2-9-2016 at 05:34 PM

Good for you, my namesake. We have almost always had great whale encounters up at Ojo de Liebre. Not so much at Mag Bay. Lucky you.

Howard - 2-9-2016 at 06:40 PM

Howard, I agree the Ojo area has more consistent good friendly encounters. It was easy peasy for my 3 friends to fly into Loreto and drive over and, yes, we got lucky.