BajaNomad

Annual Mulege Pig Races

Pescador - 2-5-2016 at 08:44 AM

Well, it is February again so in Mulege, that means the annual Pig Races. This year the races will be held on the river malecon on the north side. There will be food, drinks, live music by the Baja Beat, and betting on the Porcine Racing. This is such a great event and is being held on Valentines Day, so grab your sweetie, and show her how wonderful you are by taking her out to the Pig Races.:saint::saint:

And bringing up the rear...

durrelllrobert - 2-5-2016 at 09:38 AM

...or maybe the lead pig?

BajaBlanca - 2-5-2016 at 06:24 PM

:o

BigBearRider - 2-5-2016 at 06:30 PM

If you right click on the picture to save it, you can see that it is named "back up radar sensor"...

PED's ?

AKgringo - 2-5-2016 at 07:36 PM

Given the news out of Vizcaino lately, will entry's from that area be tested for performance enhancing drugs?

Pescador - 2-6-2016 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Given the news out of Vizcaino lately, will entry's from that area be tested for performance enhancing drugs?

Are you talking about entries for the race or the calling contest? We played for this event last year and I watched closely but did not see any of the race contestants smoking anything funny. I did notice a slight smell of burning rope but I think it came from the attendee area, not the racing pit.

baitcast - 2-6-2016 at 11:26 AM

HO LEE CHIT....:lol:
Rob

DENNIS - 2-6-2016 at 11:43 AM

They have pig races up here at Sharky's too.....from the barstool to the bathroom. It's an exciting annual event.

motoged - 2-6-2016 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
.....This is such a great event and is being held on Valentines Day, so grab your sweetie, and show her how wonderful you are by taking her out to the Pig Races.:saint::saint:

Yep....nothin' says "I love you" like watching a pig race :lol:

Have fun playing ....look forward to hearing you guys sometime.

Pescador - 2-6-2016 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
.....This is such a great event and is being held on Valentines Day, so grab your sweetie, and show her how wonderful you are by taking her out to the Pig Races.:saint::saint:

Yep....nothin' says "I love you" like watching a pig race :lol:

Have fun playing ....look forward to hearing you guys sometime.

Hey, our music is magnificent, what I think will be the highpoint is the pig calling contest. Show your sweetie what you are made of. SSSSSSUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEE.

pauldavidmena - 2-6-2016 at 05:04 PM

One more reason why I need to live in Baja...

KurtG - 2-7-2016 at 08:33 AM

I'm planning to be there, got new tires on the old KLR and Kathy recently looked at me and said "I think its time you take a ride." Sensible woman and I'm taking her advice. Should be on the road by Wed.

Looking forward to hearing you guys play again. We met at Candil last Oct.

basautter - 2-7-2016 at 06:03 PM

Looks like a blast! Wish I could be there! :o

Pescador - 2-12-2016 at 03:58 PM

Wow, I visited the site for the Annual Pig Races and it looks really cool. This year, for the first time, they will be held on the Malecon down by the Racing Bar on the north side of the river. You do not want to miss this event.

willyAirstream - 2-13-2016 at 07:55 AM

And the party will continue at Carlos racing bar on the Malecon, with fast Eddy and the slow learners playing `` get up and dance `` rock. As you know, they have a huge following and it is always a fun time.

motoged - 2-13-2016 at 10:41 AM

"Carlos racing bar on the Malecon"

What is this place?

Sounds like a sooooooeeeeeet time... :coolup:

willyAirstream - 2-13-2016 at 11:22 AM

It is a small outside gringo bar, sometimes restaurant, about mid way on the malecon. It has a stage and a dancing area, so it is great for live bands and parties. It is directly across the river from the Oasis. Open year round.

[file]33117[/file] [file]33118[/file]

motoged - 2-13-2016 at 11:27 AM

Cool.....:cool:

Pescador - 2-15-2016 at 09:55 AM

Well, the Pig Races, thanks to a very large community effort were a smashing success. The Malecon was a perfect location for all of the festivities and everyone seemed to have a great time (except maybe for the piggies).

woody with a view - 2-15-2016 at 10:02 AM

how do you keep them in their lanes and not running for the hills?

Pescador - 2-15-2016 at 10:05 AM

They put little collars on them and they are connected with a snap swivel to a wire that runs the length of the race course. One did get loose and it was a real stitch to see everyone chasing the little pig down. Sometimes they go half the course and then turn around and run backwards.
They did have pretty comfortable quarters in the VIP Lounge (read that as Very Important Pig) They have done this for 30 years now and has become an annual affair for the Rotary Club in Mulege. This was a record setting year and they greatly expanded the site, the food offering, and everything. Great success.

TMW - 2-15-2016 at 12:28 PM

Are any of them scheduled for the pig roast at the Serenidad.

willyAirstream - 2-15-2016 at 12:57 PM

Having the pig race on the malecon was a great idea! As was having local food vendors! Fish, pork, carne tacos, brillia and More! Most of the vendors sold out. Sure beat hot dogs and cupcakes from years past. Thanks to nomad bajaokie for putting this all together, terrific job! The location also provided folks the opportunity to tailgate and bring their own food and drinks, a Mulege tradition.
The afters party, just a short walk away at Carlo's bar was also a huge hit with many Valentine and birthday treats.

[file]33126[/file]

[file]33128[/file]

[file]33130[/file]

[file]33132[/file]

[file]33134[/file]

[file]33136[/file]

[Edited on 2-15-2016 by willyAirstream]

KurtG - 2-16-2016 at 09:40 AM

It was a great time even if the pig I bet on let me down!