BajaNomad

hip bursitis cure?

BajaBlanca - 2-5-2016 at 01:45 PM

My mom is visiting us and she was diagnosed recently with hip bursitis.

anyone have a good cure? it is mostly painful at night, disturbing her sleep. but sometimes painful walking during the day too.

thanks for any advice you can offer!

23S52N - 2-5-2016 at 03:26 PM

Seriously, has your mom consider replacement surgery? I highly recommend it Blanca

Regards
Keith

DianaT - 2-5-2016 at 04:05 PM

If it is bursitis, and after a week or so taking something like Naproxen regularly does not resolve it, a cortisone shot in the bursa does wonders. But it needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

One way to test the hip is to poke the bursa --- located basically about the middle of the hip on the outside, and if it hurts, the shot will work. As my orthopedist told me, if it hurts more on the inside, it is apt to be arthritis.

Lee - 2-5-2016 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
My mom is visiting us and she was diagnosed recently with hip bursitis.

anyone have a good cure? it is mostly painful at night, disturbing her sleep. but sometimes painful walking during the day too.

thanks for any advice you can offer!

Cannabis: edibles, tinctures, oil -- topical or ingested.

Cured my bad knees and arthritic hip.

BajaBlanca - 2-5-2016 at 06:21 PM

thanks all! I wouldn't have thought a hip replacement would be the solution for bursitis???

I would love to see mom try some cannabis. whhooo boy.

I am not sure if she has done the cortisone.....will ask.

thanks all!

deportes - 2-6-2016 at 11:59 AM

MSM

Barry A. - 2-6-2016 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by deportes  
MSM

I am trying MSM, for 2 weeks now-------how long before the MSM kicks in and does some good with the pain?

Bajahowodd - 2-6-2016 at 04:52 PM

Major issues with DMSN. No data to say it is effective, or safe.

Barry A. - 2-6-2016 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Major issues with DMSN. No data to say it is effective, or safe.

Thanks, Howard. Actor James Coburn swore it saved his life, but he in not around now to comment.

Hip-replacement is the next step, I am told.

Lee - 2-6-2016 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by deportes  
MSM

I am trying MSM, for 2 weeks now-------how long before the MSM kicks in and does some good with the pain?

MSM didn't work for my wrist De Quervain tenosynovitis. First corticosteroid shot had no effect; 2nd shot with a different ortho surgeon worked temporarily for moderate to severe pain. Used MSM alone, no effect, mixed with cannabis oil, no effect, cannabis alone seemed to work but during these months, a growth developed at the thumb tendon sheath. Could not do the Finkelstein test. Growth remained, pain eventually subsided. (Used MSM for months, daily.)

Barry A. - 2-7-2016 at 11:23 PM

Thanks, Lee. All very interesting. I will be patient (sp?) and see what happens, at least for a little while.

BajaBlanca - 2-8-2016 at 08:28 AM

MSM?

vandenberg - 2-8-2016 at 09:29 AM

MSM?

Available at your local vet. It's a liniment used on horses.

Barry A. - 2-8-2016 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
MSM?

Available at your local vet. It's a liniment used on horses.

Recommended by Amy Flemming of HEARTLAND ranch in Alberta?!?!?!?! :light:

I have been using GardaVita "MEGA MSM" capsules, 1200 mgs a day, Plus ARTHRO-8 from the same company, and still waiting to see if it helps with my hip pain. The pains sure isn't getting any worse lately, so maybe.

BajaBlanca - 2-8-2016 at 09:16 PM

Barry - please check in with updates every week. Curious to know how it pans out.

Barry A. - 2-8-2016 at 11:36 PM

Will do, Blanca. Off to the Orthopedic doc on the 16th to see what is going on with my hip, but will continue the supplements unless he says to quit, and/or I need a hip-replacement. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, my hip pain is about a 5 right now, but was an 8 prior to starting the supplements about 3 weeks ago. I remain optimistic.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2016 at 09:30 AM

I find Meloxicam 15 mg. over the counter in Mexico every 24 hours does wonders for inflamed joints.

Barry A. - 2-9-2016 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
I find Meloxicam 15 mg. over the counter in Mexico every 24 hours does wonders for inflamed joints.

Thanks, Doc. I will look into that.

motoged - 2-9-2016 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Lee,
Not knocking THC's pain management potential....but it is a pain management treatment....I don't think it "cures" the underlying deteriorating conditions.

Glad it has helped you....certainly worth the effort aside from legal/moral hassles along the way . Research into the usefulness of THC is well underway and it will be great once the its potential is accepted as it has a lot of potential applications.....

My knees, hips and shoulder each may need a new "joint" in the future.....anything to delay such surgeries is a welcomed treatment. :light:

Lee - 2-9-2016 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Lee,
Not knocking THC's pain management potential....but it is a pain management treatment....I don't think it "cures" the underlying deteriorating conditions.

Glad it has helped you....certainly worth the effort aside from legal/moral hassles along the way . Research into the usefulness of THC is well underway and it will be great once the its potential is accepted as it has a lot of potential applications.....

My knees, hips and shoulder each may need a new "joint" in the future.....anything to delay such surgeries is a welcomed treatment. :light:

You're right, nothing got cured but definitely managed. Wrong choice of words. I was desperate and would have done peyote in sweat lodges if I thought it would work. I'm walking 2 miles a day in an hour no pain. Don't see legal/moral issues in CO, CA, OR, WA or other states. It's too bad it's taken this long.

BajaBlanca - 2-10-2016 at 10:00 PM

I hope you all, including mom, get rid of all your pain. No fun living with pain.

Barry A. - 2-21-2016 at 02:53 PM

Barry - please check in with updates every week. Curious to know how it pans out.

Status report on Hip pain: I am 78 years old.
I was having pain in my rt. hip that was getting bad (8 on a scale of 10) and effecting my life-style significantly. I started taking supplements 9/20/15 from GARDAVITA---"Arthro-8". By 1/21/16 the pain was slightly better, but I then decided to take GARDAVITA "Mega-MSM" (1200 mgs a day) in addition to Artho-8. Pain was now running about 5 on a scale of 10. On 2/16/16 I went to an Orthopedic doc for evaluation and X-rays.. He said significant "bone-on-bone" action in the hip-joint, and additional bone spurs, and cartilage destruction within the joint. Doc. said my options were 3 fold:

1. Take 1 ALEVE plus 1 Tylenol twice daily, morning and evening, and see what happens.

2. If that does not work, then get cortisone injection into the joint is the next step, every 3 to 4 months.

3. If that does not help, then Hip-Replacement is in order.

So, I am now on Step 1 as of Feb 16th and yes it helps, so far, and my pain is now about a level 2 on the "10 scale". I am still taking the Supplements mentioned above, but the Doc says there is no proof that they do any good, but do no harm, so continue. You never know what would have happened if you did not take the Supplements.

So that is where I am at this point. I will give it another few weeks before deciding to move on to Step 2, or just remain on Step 1. The Doc said that the risks from ALEVE and TYLENOL (325 mgs pills) are minimal compared with the higher risks of Hip-replacement surgery, but that both risks are really pretty minimal. The new methods for hip-replacement are amazing, and are usually very successful, according the the Doc...and you will be walking in a day or two after surgery, normally.

I have no other pain from Arthritis other than this right Hip. I was first diagnosed with "Osteo-Arthritis" when I was about 35, but had no problems with it until about 8 years ago at age 70.

I post this in hopes that other's in the same boat as I am will learn something helpful.

AKgringo - 2-21-2016 at 04:21 PM

Nearly thirty years ago, my dad was going through what Barry is experiencing now. Years of operating heavy equipment on rough terrain, and driving old style trucks (clutch intensive) his hips were shot.

He resisted a replacement procedure for several years, but when he finally got his left hip done and recovered a bit, he grinned and couldn't wait to do the other one!

I am sure that the results could be better with what is available today, but even with the old stuff, his ability to enjoy life was enhanced considerably with the new hips joints.

bazinga - 2-21-2016 at 05:25 PM

I have used DMSO {DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE) purchased from a Vet. It was very effective on joint pain.

DianaT - 2-22-2016 at 11:09 AM

Status report on Hip pain: I am 78 years old.
I was having pain in my rt. hip that was getting bad (8 on a scale of 10) and effecting my life-style significantly. I started taking supplements 9/20/15 from GARDAVITA---"Arthro-8". By 1/21/16 the pain was slightly better, but I then decided to take GARDAVITA "Mega-MSM" (1200 mgs a day) in addition to Artho-8. Pain was now running about 5 on a scale of 10. On 2/16/16 I went to an Orthopedic doc for evaluation and X-rays.. He said significant "bone-on-bone" action in the hip-joint, and additional bone spurs, and cartilage destruction within the joint. Doc. said my options were 3 fold:

1. Take 1 ALEVE plus 1 Tylenol twice daily, morning and evening, and see what happens.

2. If that does not work, then get cortisone injection into the joint is the next step, every 3 to 4 months.

3. If that does not help, then Hip-Replacement is in order.

So, I am now on Step 1 as of Feb 16th and yes it helps, so far, and my pain is now about a level 2 on the "10 scale". I am still taking the Supplements mentioned above, but the Doc says there is no proof that they do any good, but do no harm, so continue. You never know what would have happened if you did not take the Supplements.

So that is where I am at this point. I will give it another few weeks before deciding to move on to Step 2, or just remain on Step 1. The Doc said that the risks from ALEVE and TYLENOL (325 mgs pills) are minimal compared with the higher risks of Hip-replacement surgery, but that both risks are really pretty minimal. The new methods for hip-replacement are amazing, and are usually very successful, according the the Doc...and you will be walking in a day or two after surgery, normally.

I have no other pain from Arthritis other than this right Hip. I was first diagnosed with "Osteo-Arthritis" when I was about 35, but had no problems with it until about 8 years ago at age 70.

I post this in hopes that other's in the same boat as I am will learn something helpful.

Barry,
Have you checked out Platelet Rich Plasma treatments or Stem Cell treatments? I am checking them out for my rotten bone on bone knee. Being hit by a car when I was a child is coming back to haunt me. Downside is that Medicare will not pay for these treatments and they are expensive. The up side is that there are no side effects because they use your own blood and or stem cells.

I have read that age can be a factor as the stem cells are not as strong. The orthopedic group I go to now does the Rich Plasma treatments so next month I am going to see if it is a possibility for me rather than full knee replacement.

Just google both treatments and work through the advertisements.

Also, having know many people who have had hip and or knee replacement, overwhelmingly they tell me that recovery from hip replacement is much easier than recovery from knee replacement. I have one relative that had one hip replaced and had much less post surgical pain than before the surgery and couldn't wait to get the other one done.

Meantime, I will still consider the options in order to avoid major surgery.

Blanca, if what your mother has is bursitis, that is really different and much easier to treat. I hope it is that and not a deteriorated hip.

DianaT - 2-22-2016 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bazinga  
I have used DMSO {DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE) purchased from a Vet. It was very effective on joint pain.

Careful of one thing. John used that many years ago on his elbow, with some good success, but he rested his elbow on the arm of a wooden rocking chair and it removed the varnish.

Barry A. - 2-22-2016 at 01:03 PM

Diana----------No, I had not heard of either of your suggestions, but I sure will check into it. Good luck with your problematic knee.

Thanks to all that have given feedback---------very generous of you------- vital and interesting stuff.

NOMADS are great!!!

bazinga - 2-22-2016 at 02:45 PM

Thanks DianaT, I will be very careful the next time I re-varnish my hip.

Barry A. - 2-22-2016 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bazinga  
Thanks DianaT, I will be very careful the next time I re-varnish my hip.

You rest your hip on the arm of a wooden rocking chair?? I am thinking that may not be a great idea. :light:

motoged - 2-22-2016 at 03:56 PM

You rest your hip on the arm of a wooden rocking chair?? I am thinking that may not be a great idea. :light:

It could be....got pics? :biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2016 at 04:55 PM

really great that you all are putting in your experiences. I cant thank you enough and mom's is definitely bursitis at age 81. She is so active, so incredibly active and simply does not give in or give up. Truly inspirational.