BajaNomad

2016 San Felipe 250 Map and today's Live Tracking link!

David K - 2-5-2016 at 06:22 PM

Live Tracking Map: http://www.score-international.com/tracking/

[Edited on 2-27-2016 by David K]

StuckSucks - 2-5-2016 at 06:44 PM

2016 San Felipe 250 Course Map embedded in Google Maps.

TMW - 2-5-2016 at 08:49 PM

So this means Matomi wash is open. Good

David K - 2-6-2016 at 08:39 AM

See they are staying out of Azufre Wash (Caņada el Parral), giving it a rest. That has always been a fun way to cross over to Valle Chico since I found the abandoned road in 1978!

basautter - 2-6-2016 at 06:16 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Matomi

PaulW - 2-7-2016 at 08:31 AM

Recent history
The last race thru Matomi was the 2012 SF 250. Then the summer of 2012 there was a microburst storm above the narrows and effectively closed any path thru. That storm brought huge boulders from higher up and deposited them at the bottom. I remember that in 2013 motos (bikes & 4 wheeler's) were able to get thru. Then early in 2014 a couple of Jeeps made it thru from east to west. I tried and decided the boulders were to big & to narrow of a passage for my Bronco. Then last winter, 2015, many of us including full size rigs were able to drive thru. Over the time from 2012 regular storms brought enough sand and smaller rocks thru the narrows to fill in the spaces between the large boulders. Last year the path thru the narrows became pretty reasonable. Just slow.

David K - 2-7-2016 at 10:37 AM

Every few years the narrows of Matomi change and go from a san base highway through the gorge to driving over boulders if you can get through at all!

The first time a race went through it was in 1978 and it was barely passable the following year when I drove it. In 2001, it was very easy when the Amigos de Baja Matomi Gang went through, and again in 2004 with the Baja Nomad Matomi gang on that President's Day weekend.

Here are some photos of the Matomi Canyon to Hwy. 5 run in these trip pages:

2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/matomi/index.html
2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/amo/index.html
2004: http://www.vivabaja.com/204/page8.html
2006: http://vivabaja.com/618/page4.html

Going east in 2001:

elgatoloco photo of my Tacoma entering the Matomi Narrows with Mike Humfreville riding in back.

Going west, in 2006:

Pacifico - 2-7-2016 at 02:11 PM

Any Nomads going to the 250?

StuckSucks - 2-7-2016 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Recent history

Fun read about the Matomi history, thanks!

willardguy - 2-8-2016 at 10:06 PM

anyone want to take a stab on how the 4WD (AWD) TT's would fare on this course?

TMW - 2-9-2016 at 08:39 AM

Who is running a 4WD TT. The SF250 has always been fast for the TTs. They were beating the bikes back when the fast bikes were KX500s and XR600/650s. I think the TTs will average 55-60 mph fast bikes around 50 mph.

If I remember right back in 1992 or 93 before Trophy Trucks Larry Ragland in his class 8 OA this race with a 62 +/- mph average speed. Walker Evens put his class 8 into class 2 and came in 2nd place OA. Larry R. and the Kawasaki team won the bike OA with a 60 mph average speed.

In 04 I was south of Morelia Jct where it turned east into an arroyo and at that point Larry Ragland was averaging 70+ mph in his TT.

David K - 2-9-2016 at 09:03 AM

The 2005 San Felipe 250 weekend for us: http://vivabaja.com/205/

willardguy - 2-9-2016 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Who is running a 4WD TT. The SF250 has always been fast for the TTs. They were beating the bikes back when the fast bikes were KX500s and XR600/650s. I think the TTs will average 55-60 mph fast bikes around 50 mph.

If I remember right back in 1992 or 93 before Trophy Trucks Larry Ragland in his class 8 OA this race with a 62 +/- mph average speed. Walker Evens put his class 8 into class 2 and came in 2nd place OA. Larry R. and the Kawasaki team won the bike OA with a 60 mph average speed.

In 04 I was south of Morelia Jct where it turned east into an arroyo and at that point Larry Ragland was averaging 70+ mph in his TT.

last weekend Justin Matney won Parker in his 4WD TT, im told he's signed up for the 250. It'll be interesting!

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by willardguy]

StuckSucks - 2-9-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
anyone want to take a stab on how the 4WD (AWD) TT's would fare on this course?

My prediction: being that this is a short/sprint course, I'd bet it's going to be a huge advantage to accelerate out of the slow sections, e.g. rocks, curves, etc.

Looking at weather models for three weeks ahead, we MAY get more El Niņo rain. IF that happens and IF Northern Baja receives rain, then mud might happen and 4x4 could come in handy.

PaulW - 2-9-2016 at 06:30 PM

Clyde Stacy's newest 4x4 TT wins overall Justin Manly driving
Uses a Weissmann transfer case, a Fortin torque biasing front diff, and unknown CV's. About $30k in front drive parts.
He was holding up other racers on the last lap which was night and dusty on a single lane so hard to pass.
Two of the faster trucks behind him crashed trying to pass him including Voss. Those BITD races have become as bad as the Ensenada races.
Follow the leader in the dust and hope someone has trouble so you can pass. The SF 250 is the best true test out there. Lots of lines to pass etc.
Too bad the top teams won't be there.

BajaBreak - 2-12-2016 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

I am considering it. I'm familiar with the madness that is the 500 and 1k, but have never been to the 250. Anyone know if it is a bit less hectic than those? Any good spectating spots near the South Campos?

TMW - 2-12-2016 at 04:52 PM

The zoo road is a mad house on the north side. On the south end if you go to the KM52 on Hwy 5 there are a couple of hills people view the race from. Easy to see just turn right off the Hwy on any of the dirt tracks and head for hills with the people. It would be in the race mile 154 area.

BajaBreak - 2-12-2016 at 05:42 PM

Thanks TMW. That's the area I was looking at, since I want to stay by the sea. I'll steer clear of zoo road.

Just need to see if I can make it happen now...

WestyWanderer - 2-13-2016 at 12:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

I am considering it. I'm familiar with the madness that is the 500 and 1k, but have never been to the 250. Anyone know if it is a bit less hectic than those? Any good spectating spots near the South Campos?

Baja, it's personally my favorite race. San Felipe is a great setting for contingency, smaller crowds than the 500/1k, the top bikes finish by 11/12 and the top trucks should be through the south campos area sometime around 1ish. Tons of places to watch the race with small to no crowds and you're home in time for dinner! Not sure exactly where we'll be pitting yet but I run a pit for the 1x bike of Colton Udall and the 3x bike of Mark Samuels, you're more than welcome to come hang with us, we'll be on the south end of the loop somewhere (I'm guessing somewhere around RM 154ish)

dtbushpilot - 2-13-2016 at 07:29 AM

My son will be racing the series again this year, #422X, I will be going up to help out. He keeps saying he is going to quit racing Baja but he always comes back to it. I wish I had gotten him interested in fishing instead of dirt bikes when he was a kid....

[Edited on 2-13-2016 by dtbushpilot]

TMW - 2-13-2016 at 11:08 AM

dt your son has the fever and it's hard to get rid of it. I know I had it too for several years. First racing then sponsoring a team. Only in the last few years have I been able to not go to a SCORE race by choice.

The adrenalin rush, the smell of gas, the competition, the prep, the pre-run, contingency and the comradery all factor in and you never want to let it go. After a long hard race when you are dirty and sweaty and wore out, it's the best feeling in the world.

WideAngleWandering - 2-19-2016 at 06:28 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking I'd head out from Ensenada for San Felipe on Sunday morning (28th). I like to cut south through Laguna Diablo bit o guess that's not a good idea given the race. Then again, maybe I could drive put there and spectate without getting in anyone's way? I've never seen one of the races.

Will san Felipe be full up that night? I usually stay at el Capitan.

LaTijereta - 2-19-2016 at 06:41 PM

Race is run on Saturday.. Sunday should be fine..

Town clears out Sunday morning.. back to the border...

[Edited on 2-20-2016 by LaTijereta]

David K - 2-19-2016 at 06:41 PM

The race is over on the 28th (that would be trophy presentation day).
If you want to see the action, get to a spot along the course Friday PM (26th). The race is all day Saturday (motos first, then a few hour break before the four wheeled racers start).

Once the race has passed (and it may be hours) you should leave on a non-race road or only in the direction of the racers in case of any who have broken down, then got fixed and think they are still in the running.

Yes, all hotels are full (typically)... But that would be through Sunday morning.

StuckSucks - 2-19-2016 at 07:44 PM

I will be at RM112 then RM200. If you see the black COPS Tacoma, come up to me and say really fast: "steeker steeker steeker steeker!!" and I'll reward you with a much-coveted COPS steeker. Bonus: jump up and down while saying that, and I'll give you an extra steeker.

dtbushpilot - 2-19-2016 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
dt your son has the fever and it's hard to get rid of it. I know I had it too for several years. First racing then sponsoring a team. Only in the last few years have I been able to not go to a SCORE race by choice.

The adrenalin rush, the smell of gas, the competition, the prep, the pre-run, contingency and the comradery all factor in and you never want to let it go. After a long hard race when you are dirty and sweaty and wore out, it's the best feeling in the world.

You're right TW, he caught it first when he was 13, I supported his addiction until he went to college then I caught it....I guess I had it all along in support of his efforts but it didn't manifest itself until I didn't have anything to do at the races. I slid rapidly down the slippery slope of desert racing and my friends couldn't do anything to stop me.....probably because they were addicted too.

My son didn't ride much for the first few years after college but eventually, like a crackhead drawn to the pipe, he started hitting the Bel Ray again. I tried to stop him, I pleaded with him "Look at me! is this how you want to end up!?!".....it didn't matter, he was too far gone.

I quit racing competitively in 2007 after the Baja 1000, got my picture with Sal Fish at the finish line, bucket list entry complete. Unfortunately it hasn't gone well for my son, he has slipped further and further into the abyss. I think he is lost, all I can do is be there for him and support him through this ordeal.

I was able to kick the racing habit....oh I know, I haven't really gotten it out of my system. I still ride regularly but canceled my Dirt Rider subscription long ago. I still break out in a sweat when I see arrows stapled to a fence post or ribbon tied to a bush, I guess you could call me a functioning, recovering, raceaholic.

I'm heading to San Felipe tomorrow to help the team with prerunning and the race. It will be fun to hang out with the guys and spend some quality time with my son. On race day I will fight off the nausea when Chad is on the bike, it is the longest few hours of my life. To be competitive at the pro level you have to be willing to go at speeds that can hurt you all the way to dead in the blink of an eye, I wish he would stop doing that....

We typically have had all the friendly camaraderie we can tolerate by the time race day rolls around and usually have everything loaded and ready to head North (South for me) as soon as we cross the finish line and do the photo op. If all goes as planned I will spend Saturday night in Guerrero Negro on my way home.

I'm glad they cancelled the 500 Sur, one less opportunity to get it wrong......

[Edited on 2-20-2016 by dtbushpilot]

WideAngleWandering - 2-19-2016 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The race is over on the 28th (that would be trophy presentation day).
If you want to see the action, get to a spot along the course Friday PM (26th). The race is all day Saturday (motos first, then a few hour break before the four wheeled racers start).

We'll be leaving Sacramento on the morning of the 27th so doesn't look like I could get to SF in time for the race but looks like plan a is still good - if i find any broken down racers in the desert on Sunday I'll hand over a beer.

Go fast and have fun y'all.

ehall - 2-20-2016 at 11:43 AM

Drove down hwy 3 friday morning from valle t to el Chinero and didn't see a single vehicle prerunning the course. Not even any dust. I hope this isn't an indication of the level of participation.

TMW - 2-20-2016 at 08:00 PM

They only have about 130 entries with about 30 bikes/ATVs. It ain't what it use to be. Hopefully more will come.

David K - 2-21-2016 at 12:13 AM

Roger Norman is no Sal Fish or Mickey Thompson! Too bad, specially for the two wheeled racers.

David K - 2-27-2016 at 11:00 AM

Today's Race Live Tracking: http://www.score-international.com/tracking/

David K - 2-27-2016 at 11:21 AM

By-the-way, BajaGeoff is with Team Bike 301x

willardguy - 2-27-2016 at 11:57 AM

1x for the win......anyone surprised?

Ateo - 2-27-2016 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
1x for the win......anyone surprised?

Same as always...........

4X was on a Honda. Guess Kawi ain't paying their bills.

Race viewing report

PaulW - 2-28-2016 at 10:58 AM

Well - the zoo and powerline event has been exaggerated. We were are RM7-8 and stayed for the spec trucks then drove to RM 78 at Morelia junction. The crowd was bigger than ever at both locations and for sure pretty well behaved with no known incidents with the crowd. The order did not change much at RM 78 from RM 7 and the spec trucks were late so we departed and drove to RM 178 and the leaders has already passed. I was surprised because I took all the shortcuts to get there. So since we missed the leaders we drove to Rm 235 and waited and waited. Finally we gave up and went home after 4-TTs, 4-C1s, and 4-10s. BTW, the time gap between the first, #15 and the 2nd TT, #98 was huge. Never seen that kind of gap in the past.
Then I had to find my way thru Los Arcos to get north. Not an east route due to finding the correct road thru the housing area. I really should do it over and make a proper GPS track. My friends used the highway and it took over an hour to get past the arches and we were home by then.
The drive from Zoo/powerline to Morelia junction was dicey but no issues were noticed. The safe way is to get behind a big chase truck and just follow. That will avoid any trailblazing in the dust. Of course they go fast which some would not like. Later in the day there was a head on collision at Morelia junction caused by dust and involving non racers. All parties walked away with unreported injuries.

willardguy - 2-28-2016 at 01:57 PM

thanks for the report! so what was the deal with the score official getting run over shortly after the start?

PaulW - 2-28-2016 at 02:54 PM

I only know what I read on the web. Jose Grivalda is the head guy responsible for the course details and he said he was not paying attention and a racer hit him. Happened north of the start on the highway just before the left turn onto the dirt. He is in the hospital and it sounds like he will be ok???

This year the insurance people decided to have out bound racers on the north Hwy lane and inbound racers using the south bound lane. Curious he was even at that location unless he did not realize the race had started?? The marking at the start/finish is done at the last minute Maybe he was checking it out???

Ateo - 2-28-2016 at 03:38 PM

Udall got a 10 minute penalty and almost lost to 4X because of it.

He still won by three minutes though.

Close race.

PaulW - 2-28-2016 at 08:22 PM

Quoting a guy on race dezert
"I was at race mile 175 for the bikes on through. Saw the 4x come through first. Never saw the 1x come through there. Saw his dust miles away cutting the course. Can't believe they on;y gave them 10 minutes for that cut. He was behind the 4x at the time. I think ha saved more than 10 minutes and leaders dust after that. By the way, the #2 through #6 bikes that should have come through rm 175 all took that short cut.
#rather lose with integrity than win by cheating..."
==============
Same old story Bike riders cheat to win. Been that way long before the trackers, but even worse back then.

PaulW - 2-29-2016 at 08:44 AM

SF 250 results
http://score-international.com/sf250-2016-results/sf250-2016...

StuckSucks - 3-1-2016 at 06:16 PM

Jason McNeil #2 truck being fueled at RM112.5: