BajaNomad

Gasoline in Santa Rosalallita

kk6mbh - 2-13-2016 at 07:45 AM

Last year a family sold gasoline out of barrels in an RV on the bluff above town - anyone know if there is still gasoline in Santa Rosalallita? Heading down this week and just trying to shore up a fuel plan.

woody with a view - 2-13-2016 at 07:48 AM

it's always hit or miss. sometimes right across from Tienda Yessy they sell gas. with all of the pangas there is gas somewhere.

kk6mbh - 2-13-2016 at 08:00 AM

Many thanks - I'll hope for 'hit' lol - just trying to skip topping off in Jesus Maria and get to the coast

woody with a view - 2-13-2016 at 08:06 AM

try along the highway at the store in Rosarito.

kk6mbh - 2-13-2016 at 08:11 AM

Will do

bkbend - 2-13-2016 at 07:54 PM

I pulled off in Rosarito about two weeks ago to check straps on a load I had and noticed the gasolina sign. However, it was 5:30pm and they were closed, so keep that in mind. Small towns roll up the sidewalk pretty early.

kk6mbh - 2-13-2016 at 08:36 PM

I'll keep that in mind bkbend thanks

DawnPatrol - 2-14-2016 at 07:36 PM

You will have much better luck at Nuevo Rosarito, which is a very short distance North of the Rosalallita turn off
Last 4 times I have been through (just last week) they we selling at roadside

And 99% of the time at Punta Prieta

Alan from SD

[Edited on 2-15-2016 by DawnPatrol]

Udo - 2-16-2016 at 01:00 PM

I make it a point to fill up or top off if I plan on making some side trips.
I still remember that first trip I took to Bahia Tortuga...100+ miles of rough dirt road and gas gulping soft sand. I asked in Vizcaino how gas was in BT. They were not too encouraging. The guy selling gas and diesel out of barrels may or may not be there.
My Jeep had two 5 gallon gas can for spares.

Ateo - 2-16-2016 at 03:49 PM

Punta Prieta has gas too.

David K - 2-16-2016 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
You will have much better luck at Nuevo Rosarito, which is a very short distance North of the Rosalallita turn off

Alan from SD

Do you mind if I add some visual aid? :D
We don't want anyone almost out of gas going north instead of south!

Udo - 2-16-2016 at 05:17 PM

Nice visual, DK!

MMc - 2-16-2016 at 06:32 PM

Don't go fishing DK. You so do love to post maps of this area.

Pacifico - 2-16-2016 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I make it a point to fill up or top off if I plan on making some side trips.
I still remember that first trip I took to Bahia Tortuga...100+ miles of rough dirt road and gas gulping soft sand. I asked in Vizcaino how gas was in BT. They were not too encouraging. The guy selling gas and diesel out of barrels may or may not be there.
My Jeep had two 5 gallon gas can for spares.

Always a good idea! On a side note, I got to BOLA last week and both stations were out of gas! The gas guy at the junction said they were out for 3 days...

David K - 2-16-2016 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Don't go fishing DK. You so do love to post maps of this area.

Maps don't allow all people access, good roads do.

DawnPatrol - 2-17-2016 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  

Alan from SD

Do you mind if I add some visual aid? :D
We don't want anyone almost out of gas going north instead of south!

MY BAD on Rosarito!

woody with a view - 2-17-2016 at 06:59 PM

count our lucky stars we didn't have to endure a spelling lesson.....

dtbushpilot - 2-17-2016 at 07:53 PM

It's never too late woody :lol::lol:

David K - 2-17-2016 at 08:04 PM

It's one of those places that even Mexicans spell wrong on their signs...
Traditionally "Santa Rosalillita" (means Little Santa Rosalía", as they bay was Santa Rosalía, but with the advent of automobiles, they changed the name to not get confused with the city to the southeast).

I have seen some signage and Spanish web sites giving the name as Santa Rosaliita instead of Rosalillita.

That the OP spelled it Rosalallita is no worse!
Have a Pacifico!

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2016 at 10:51 PM

Traditionally "Santa Rosalillita" (means Little Santa Rosalía", as they bay was Santa Rosalía, but with the advent of automobiles, they changed the name to not get confused with the city to the southeast).

I have seen some signage and Spanish web sites giving the name as Santa Rosaliita instead of Rosalillita.

Dk, do you speak Spanish? Or do you only spell Spanish?

David K - 2-18-2016 at 07:49 AM

¿Qué?

Udo - 2-18-2016 at 09:32 AM

Yo estoy seguro que DK habla Español.

willardguy - 2-18-2016 at 10:23 AM

rosaliita, rosalillita, whatever works. up north I guess they've decided to hyphenate ROSA-RITO on the new sign over benny juarez!

David K - 2-18-2016 at 11:15 AM

Good one!
What's next, marga-rita?

DawnPatrol - 2-18-2016 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

UPDATE: When we were in the area a week ago we asked three or four Mexicans and they said they don't even know the correct way to spell it. There's apparently 3 or 4 ways so everybody is in the same boat
Alan from SD

Dk, do you speak Spanish? Or do you only spell Spanish?

Mexitron - 2-18-2016 at 12:23 PM

Used to be stations at El Progresso (or St. Augustin, somewhere around there?), Catavina, BOLA turnoff, Rosarito....I can't imagine its because they can't sell enough gas, especially these days. Well, with the new highway maybe Alfoninas will be the new Catavina.

David K - 2-18-2016 at 12:31 PM

The Pemex stations opened after Hwy. 1 was built, south of El Rosario you mentioned (San Agustin, Cataviña, Parador Punta Prieta, Rosarito) that all failed had some shared issues:
*No bank to make deposits in a reasonable distance, and no armored car service, either.
*No good employee source, little or no nearby population.
*No good business practice by the ejidos (unable to pay Pemex back for fuel, as money earned was "lost").

TMW - 2-18-2016 at 02:20 PM

Of those mentioned I would think the Santa Catavina hotel would be best equipped to deal with gas. But the guys selling out of cans aren't so bad.

Mexitron - 2-18-2016 at 05:04 PM

The Pemex stations opened after Hwy. 1 was built, south of El Rosario you mentioned (San Agustin, Cataviña, Parador Punta Prieta, Rosarito) that all failed had some shared issues:
*No bank to make deposits in a reasonable distance, and no armored car service, either.
*No good employee source, little or no nearby population.
*No good business practice by the ejidos (unable to pay Pemex back for fuel, as money earned was "lost").

Interesting, didn't know that, thanks David!

MMc - 2-18-2016 at 06:04 PM

The cost of operating those gas stations with a fixed sell price also was a factor. Stations not only had to self power the pumps, they also often had to board the help. The stations were government owned also when the road was built. When they were privatized there was not enough profit to support the remote stations.

woody with a view - 2-18-2016 at 06:53 PM

if you need gas whatever they are charging is not too much.