BajaNomad

Cell phone in San Diego and Baja?

larryC - 2-15-2016 at 10:48 AM

I don't own a cell phone and have almost no experience with them. I now need a phone that will work here in San Diego and when I cross the border into Baja. Hopefully a phone that will just work without having to punch in any codes or make any notifications. Does a phone like that exist? I don't need a smart phone, the damn things are smarter than I am and I can't even figure out how to answer the things.
thanks,
Larry

woody with a view - 2-15-2016 at 10:53 AM

They all work like that. ATT has the best coverage but T Mobile has the best plan. Figure every town with a traffic light has coverage. Not much coverage in the desert regions.

woody with a view - 2-15-2016 at 10:55 AM

Since you are online in Baja start looking around at Majic Jack and other low cost options that do not require a cell phone.

pauldavidmena - 2-15-2016 at 11:08 AM

Coverage-wise, T-Mobile was only so-so when it uses Movistar as a carrier in BCS, but was great when using Telcel's network. The plan is quite good for both voice and data.

Cancamo - 2-15-2016 at 11:18 AM

If you will be using more in Mexico than NOB, TelCell flip phone, (Nokia), at any TelCell store. 300 to 500 pesos, includes 200 peso airtime. Better coverage by far than Movistar now. Register on the Amigo Sin Fronteras plan. .98 centavos per minute, (about 5 cents) calls to US & Canada, & long distance within Mexico. No commitment, no contract, pay on balance most corner grocery stores, OXXOs, etc...
Cell service anywhere it exists in Mexico for At&T, Verizon, and then some.
Works fine in San Diego. Airtime balance re-chargeable online as well.
No, I don't work for Carlos Slim.

Lee - 2-15-2016 at 12:09 PM

I use a Kyocera Dura XT a new flip phone from AT&T. And the Viva MX plan, Movistar SOB. No problems coverage most places. Replaced a Rugby II best flip phone I've ever had.

TMW - 2-15-2016 at 12:34 PM

I have a simple T Mobile flip phone that I buy a card for as needed. I got mine at Walmart for like $29. The card cost in different amounts I usually get a $100 card every 8-9 months. Usage charge is 9 cents per minute in the US and $1.15 in Baja. Mine does not work in San Ignacio for some reason, I see a cell signal but no service, pretty much works everywhere else.

AKgringo - 2-15-2016 at 03:50 PM

I use an ATT GoPhone that I bought at Walmart in Anchorage for under thirty dollars, with no contract. I then add time as needed ($25 gives me 90 days), and you pick which area code in the US that you want for your number based in.

Calls in the US cost ten cents per minute, or portion of one. Calls in Mexico use the Telcell network, and cost twenty five cents US. Calls from the US to your phone don't require any extra cost to the the caller, and they would just use the same number as if you were still north of the border.

The phone will also work in Canada, but I think it is even more expensive there than in Mexico. My only complaint is that I frequently wind up getting dinged for more time than I actually used, and some strange texts from numbers I never heard of have occasionally been charged to my time.

mtgoat666 - 2-15-2016 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I don't own a cell phone and have almost no experience with them. I now need a phone that will work here in San Diego and when I cross the border into Baja. Hopefully a phone that will just work without having to punch in any codes or make any notifications. Does a phone like that exist? I don't need a smart phone, the damn things are smarter than I am and I can't even figure out how to answer the things.
thanks,
Larry

I recommend 2 phones. In usa i have my fancy smart phone. In mex i have a cheapy kyocera candybar phone with a pay-as-you-go deal where i add money periodically. Cheaper approach than paying for intl roaming rates

pauldavidmena - 2-15-2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I recommend 2 phones. In usa i have my fancy smart phone. In mex i have a cheapy kyocera candybar phone with a pay-as-you-go deal where i add money periodically. Cheaper approach than paying for intl roaming rates

I bring 2 phones too, but not so much because of the roaming rates, since Google Fi (like T-Mobile) doesn't charge them. I carry a cheap phone with a Telcel SIMM so that my Mexican friends only have to make a local call to reach me. I use the U.S. phone for calls to and from the U.S. and for data.

CortezBlue - 2-15-2016 at 04:53 PM

I am a DirecTV subscriber and currently have TMobile for phone. We are in AZ and San Felipe

So this weekend I went through the exercise to, possible, change to ATT.

BAM, it is EXPENSIVE. I pay $100 per month for 2 smart phones with unlimited high speed internet. At first when we traveled down to San Felipe all we could get is Movistar and as someone else mentioned, it sucked. But now we get Telcel all over Mexico. So we have internet at our home and TMobile has a built in VOIP plan app on the phone. So when we are at the casa we turn on the WiFI based phone and when we leave it automatically switches over to Telcel. 2g or 3g speed is free in Mexico, but I do have to pay $.20 per minute if I use the phone, but that is worth it for me for the difference of what ATT wanted.
TMobile, does not have the best service in the states, but it has improved drastically over the past year. I have been from St.John's Virgin Islands to the San Juan Islands of the coast of Canada and I never paid a nickel more for service. Also, no contract, that is great!!

larryC - 2-15-2016 at 05:04 PM

Thanks everyone I think I have it figured out. I only need the phone for while I'm on the road since there is no cell service in BoLA. When in Bola I use magicjack on my Exede system.

jecapl5599 - 2-15-2016 at 06:07 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on bringing my old iphone 4 and getting a new sim for it in TJ. I have a telcel candy bar phone, but would like the smart phone for the maps and reading your posts.

Does that all make sense for a week in Baja heading to Ojo de Liebre?

KaceyJ - 2-15-2016 at 07:29 PM

My suggestion , buy an unlocked dual sim phone

I experimented with ATT, Tmobile , Metropcs, then back to Tmobile

TMobile , when connected to TELCEL , worked the best hands down, but where I'm at currently , it is not working unless I'm in town. Bee..n down for 3 weeks

The reason I like Tmobile is that it is seamless , no codes , no roaming settings or charges , just service. Use like you always do.

.....Except for right now , it's paired with Movistar and service is scetchy , Data non exsisitant

My problem at the moment , I'm using an unlocked ATT S4 and with all their permanent BS bloatware installed , makes the phone inflexable.

Lengua - 2-15-2016 at 08:07 PM

ATT has a plan now if you are on their US share plan. No roaming charges in Mexico and 1 go of data / month. Just call and gave them add it. Many nomads have taken advantage of this NEW plan. All created to be more competitive w/ T mobile

KaceyJ - 2-15-2016 at 08:47 PM

ATT has too many limits , twists , plans ,additional charges and intentional confusion and thresholds to keep track of

Buy a plan with Tmobile , no contract ,see if it works for you in your area and you''ll be ahead

Simple, and once again, seamless.

Lengua - 2-15-2016 at 09:27 PM

ATT has a plan now if you are on their US share plan. No roaming charges in Mexico and 1 go of data / month. Just call and gave them add it. Many nomads have taken advantage of this NEW plan. All created to be more competitive w/ T mobile

AKgringo - 2-15-2016 at 09:40 PM

I don't use text or data features much, not at all if I can help it, so the no contract ATT Go-phone works for me.

Because of the miserable experience I have had with ATT/Direct TV bundled service I signed up for at home this year, I would NEVER enter into a contract service with them again!

Trying to get them to honor the price they originally quoted me, was like trying to get straight answers from a time share salesman!

BajaMama - 2-16-2016 at 07:04 AM

I have five lines on my AT&T plan - just switched to the Mobile share on which I was able to add for free being able to call and text for free FROM Mexico. Also one GB of data per month per line. For me the cost per line is $40. Now we don't have to bother with the hassle of additional phones/cards etc. in Mexico (was such a pain since driving to town is an hour each way experience. If someone in USA wants to talk, I have them text us, and I call them back.

monoloco - 2-16-2016 at 08:14 AM

I would consider Telcel. You can get a plan that works in the states and Mexico and is much cheaper than anything from AT&T or T Mobile. I pay 299 pesos a month for 200 minutes, including free roaming in the US and calls to the US from Mexico, 1.5 gb of data, and free fFacebook and WhatsApp (doesn't count against data). That works out to slightly over $15 a month.

SFandH - 2-16-2016 at 10:05 AM

I don't own a cell phone and have almost no experience with them.

Good to hear I'm not the only one. Had a company supplied cell phone when I worked, but that ended 10 years ago. Now I'm clueless.

If I get a cell phone I would want the cheapest one, to use infrequently, that I could use within Baja, within San Diego, with occasional cross border calls in both directions.

Good thread, I have it bookmarked.

motoged - 2-16-2016 at 12:11 PM

So.....is Telcel the best option for making occasional calls from Baja to Canada....and receiving calls from Canada in Baja??? Or what?

SlyOnce - 2-16-2016 at 12:39 PM

99.9% of my calls from MX to the US are in Whatsapp or Viber. Look into these apps on your smart phone. My house has a Telcel wi fi and we make free voice over IP (VOIP) calls and texts on those services. Works great, of course your friends and family need to be on Whatsapp or Viber. I guess you could use Skype too.

For everything else I have my iPhone, data roaming is turned off in MX, I pay voice/text roaming. On the US side I have voice/text/data. Voice and text work fine and it has Bluetooth which syncs with my truck when driving for hands free. You don't have to do anything, the phone does it all automatically.

You can not receive a Whatsapp or Viber text or call in Baja with my system, only when you are on wi fi.

sancho - 2-16-2016 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Register on the Amigo Sin Fronteras plan. .98 centavos per minute, (about 5 cents) calls to US & Canada, & long distance within Mexico

That sounds good, I've never owned a cell phone either. Probably not too smart driving in Baja with no way to
contact the Ins Co. Heck. I still have a vcr recorder and
ride an unsuspended Mtn Bicycle

Udo - 2-16-2016 at 12:52 PM

I too use the Sin Fronteras phone plan.

Currently is about $12.00 USD per month, and billed via your e-mail.

Cancamo - 2-16-2016 at 01:56 PM

I've just been paying the balance when needed, (to check the saldo dial *133# responds back in text form) . 200 pesos lasts me up to two months. A very good deal for my needs.

Dial, (or punch in), *264 from any TelCel phone to get the Sin Fronteras rates with an operator.

Also can recharge balance from phone (*321, then take option 4, then option 1)

larryC - 2-18-2016 at 11:29 AM

I finally did it. I tried ATT but you have to have an existing or sign up for a contract (i was quoted $60 a month) and then add the Canada/Mexico option for free. I don't want to spend $60 a month so I called T-Mobile and with them I got a prepaid plan for $3 a month and .10 cents per minute charge. The $3 a month includes 30 minutes talk time. Also works in Mexico seamlessly they claim. We'll see what really happens. The sim card should be here in a few days.
Larry

AKgringo - 2-18-2016 at 11:59 AM

Larry, does that ten cents/min apply to calls made while in Mexico? If so, that sounds better than my Go-phone. I have to add twentyfive dollars every ninety days to keep the number active.

By the way, I did not buy my phone from ATT, but at Walmart. Walmart wants to sell phones, ATT wants to sell plans!

You said you are waiting for a sim card, did you have a phone to put it in, or have to buy one of theirs?

JZ - 2-18-2016 at 12:21 PM

AT&T coverage has always been great in MX.

Since their two acquisitions last year data coverage has been chit in Sonora. I'm assuming it from them not roaming over Telcel's network. Has anyone else experienced this?

[Edited on 2-18-2016 by JZ]

JZ - 2-18-2016 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
So.....is Telcel the best option for making occasional calls from Baja to Canada....and receiving calls from Canada in Baja??? Or what?

Skpe or Whatsapp

Correction to my previous reply

AKgringo - 2-18-2016 at 02:05 PM

The ATT storefront near my home in Anchorage, did not sell or provide any support for Go-phones. They like contract sales! I was directed to an ATM like kiosk in the corner to add dollars/minutes, or check my account. Any questions about my service were directed toward calling the national customer service number (sigh...)

I lost the phone I have been using, so today I went to an ATT store front here in Grass Valley CA, and they not only sell the phones, they will make the calls to get through customer service for me, and transfer the number to a new phone along with my remaining balance.

Now I need to decide whether to do the deal (likely) or wait to learn more about the t-Mobile deal that LarryC got.

larryC - 2-18-2016 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Larry, does that ten cents/min apply to calls made while in Mexico? If so, that sounds better than my Go-phone. I have to add twentyfive dollars every ninety days to keep the number active.

By the way, I did not buy my phone from ATT, but at Walmart. Walmart wants to sell phones, ATT wants to sell plans!

You said you are waiting for a sim card, did you have a phone to put it in, or have to buy one of theirs?

AKGringo
I'm not sure if the 10 cents a minute includes Mexico, I was given sooo much info that I'm not really sure and after calling back 2 times I got different answers both times. I have a flip phone, not a smart phone that was given to me by a friend so when the sim card arrives I'll activate the phone and add the Mexico plan and that person should be able to tell me what the per minute charge is. I'll let you know. The plan I signed up on is their "prepaid" plan. Maybe you can find more info on it online.
Larry

Riom - 2-19-2016 at 09:44 PM

I'm not sure if the 10 cents a minute includes Mexico

If you're on the T-Mobile pay-as-you-go $3/mo prepaid plan, it unfortunately does NOT include Mexico at a reasonable cost (and there's no option to add it).

The "free roaming" in Mexico on T-mobile is only on their (much) more expensive Simple Choice Prepaid / Simple Prepaid plans (and for contracts as well of course).

Source: see Pay as you go and click on "compare prepaid plans". Free roaming in Mexico NOT included for pay-as-you-go.

The actual rates are very well hidden in this pdf file: International Calling Rates. $1.79 per minute to receive or make calls from Mexico. It's been that rate for at least the past five years. Useful for emergencies, but not much else. Most of the T-Mobile sales people probably don't realise that the Pay-as-you-go is not included in the free roaming deals they have on most other plans.

Like some others here, I now use Telcel Amigo with the "Sin Fronteras" option in Mexico, the US (and Canada, later this year), outgoing cost is the same where-ever you call in all three countries, and whichever country you call from. Incoming calls and texts are free in all three countries. By-the-MB data is same cost in each country. Works well, costs from 100 pesos every two months to keep it active.

I also have a $1/mo US incoming number at Localphone that is forwarded to the Telcel number for 4c/min (when I'm not on wifi), so that people in the US and elsewhere can call me cheaply.

Rob

larryC - 2-20-2016 at 10:23 AM

Riom
Where were you a couple of days ago when I needed you? Thanks for the link, now I can keep looking and not bother activating the phone when I get the sim card.