BajaNomad

Anyone traveling to Baja last week of March / First Week of April?

godwinaustin - 2-24-2016 at 01:19 PM

This would be first time south of the border driving.

Would love to link up with a group if anyone is going. I live up in Jackson, WY.

Thanks. :D

godwinaustin - 2-24-2016 at 01:24 PM

I should add I have trail/off-road experience and the vehicle is a Tacoma 4x4

Tomas Tierra - 2-24-2016 at 03:32 PM

And where are you headed?

godwinaustin - 2-24-2016 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
And where are you headed?

I was thinking somewhere south of El Rosario on the pacific, but thats certainly not set.

[Edited on 2-24-2016 by godwinaustin]

Tomas Tierra - 2-24-2016 at 05:49 PM

Good call.. Easter week is a bit crazy everywhere. Further off road you get the less crazy

Welcome Godwinaustin !

AKgringo - 2-24-2016 at 06:15 PM

I see you are new to this forum, welcome aboard! You may not be aware of how extensively the hive of 'Commuterus Califorius' has colonized the southeast corner of that state!

A mountain man like you would probably find the trip less stressful traveling down through Utah and Nevada, then approach Tecate from the east. Taking Mx 3 down to Ensenada will also bypass Tijuana, and is a nice drive.

Better yet, cross into Mexico at Mexicalli, and stay on MX 5 until you find a spot you like, or connect with MX1 at Chappala. Then you can head north, or south, depending on what you are looking for, and how much time you have.

I may be on the MX 5 route myself about that time, so post again as you firm up your plans.

godwinaustin - 2-25-2016 at 08:58 AM

Appreciate the tips so far. Trying to get some friends on board from up here, but its looking doubtful - so the trip either waits or hopefully can link up with some veterans.

Bulletproof

bajaguy - 2-25-2016 at 09:06 AM

No worries, you have a Tacoma 4x4 :bounce::biggrin::bounce:

godwinaustin - 2-25-2016 at 09:16 AM

:cool: Yeah, I mean in the toyota commercials there are bunnies riding dirtbikes and the terrain kind of looks like Baja, so I should be fine?

[Edited on 2-25-2016 by godwinaustin]

bajaguy - 2-25-2016 at 10:02 AM

If you find any bunnies let us know.....pictures, or it didn't happen!!

Quote: Originally posted by godwinaustin  
:cool: Yeah, I mean in the toyota commercials there are bunnies riding dirtbikes and the terrain kind of looks like Baja, so I should be fine?

[Edited on 2-25-2016 by godwinaustin]

BajaBlanca - 2-25-2016 at 02:25 PM

godwinautin come on down! wow....from Wyoming should be an interesting trip!

we are 600 miles south of the border
we are on the Pacific
we have a cute B&B
we have fishing and not much else besides wonderful locals and a nice beach to stare at!

I would recommend a stop at Bahia Asuncion - the half moon bay is bee yu tee full

then us because you can drive south on coast road since you havea 4 wheel drive and time

then perhaps san Ignacio for the oasis - amazing history - whales

and then head back north again and if you loved whale watching you could do it again at ojo de liebre with Shari

Have a great trip and you will meet many MANY folks as you drive so take that jump, post a travel report and have yourself a great time while your friends wish they had accompanied you!

godwinaustin - 2-26-2016 at 09:53 AM

Thanks Bajablanca,your B&B looks beautiful and will try and stop by if I am down in that direction!