BajaNomad

Can a private plane land at Cedros?

DawnPatrol - 3-3-2016 at 11:39 AM

Any ideas of any restrictions or any prior approval to land at Cedros?

Thanks in advance
Alan from San Diego

David K - 3-3-2016 at 11:49 AM

In all the old Senterfitt books and the newer 1998 'Air Baja!' book, it is listed without any restrictions. Baja Bush Pilots (or Bush Pilots International now) may be a resource if you pay them the membership fee.

From 1998:

weebray - 3-3-2016 at 01:17 PM

I have flown in there many times to pick up lobsters for the trip back to the states. No problem but the dogs don't like it. I remember one years ago that was missing a part of his snout - he got a little too close.

DawnPatrol - 3-3-2016 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
I have flown in there many times to pick up lobsters for the trip back to the states. No problem but the dogs don't like it. I remember one years ago that was missing a part of his snout - he got a little too close.

thanks!
Says on David K's map "Military"????
That's what threw me

woody with a view - 3-3-2016 at 05:24 PM

call a charter outfit at Brown field and ask.

David K - 3-3-2016 at 06:42 PM

Every airport has a military base by it or nearby... The one at the Serenidad hotel for example...

DawnPatrol - 3-3-2016 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

good call Woody

rzitren - 3-3-2016 at 09:00 PM

I flew in November 2014 from Ensenada to pick up some friends and was no problem. A small group of soldiers came over and checked our papers as usual. There is a small terminal there but no services. We did not stay overnight.

durrelllrobert - 3-4-2016 at 09:26 AM

This is the outfit that offers direct (no customs clearance at Ensenada?) from Brown Field (Otay Mesa) to Cedros:

cedrosoutdooradventures.com/fly-from-usa/

[Edited on 3-4-2016 by durrelllrobert]

woody with a view - 3-4-2016 at 10:58 AM

I believe all flights must clear customs if its international.

cedros

dpf33a - 3-8-2016 at 02:50 PM

Runway was in good condition,as of last year in october. Circle Town to get a taxi. resort on the south side hill is the best place.

bajaguy - 3-8-2016 at 02:56 PM

Reading their info on the link you posted under DO NOT INCLUDE, it says you have to get your FMM at the airport in Ensenada, so apparently it stops there to clear customs.

Further down their page it states....The pilot will take your passport information before your trip and pre-clear you with customs. The plane will stop in San Felipe, Mexico and you will clear Mexican immigration there......

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

This is the outfit that offers direct (no customs clearance at Ensenada?) from Brown Field (Otay Mesa) to Cedros:

cedrosoutdooradventures.com/fly-from-usa/

[Edited on 3-4-2016 by durrelllrobert]

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by bajaguy]

David K - 3-8-2016 at 03:35 PM

Both San Felipe and Ensenada are international airports.

Ensenada airport is where I cleared into Mexico and bought my FMM when I flew in by helicopter in 2014. Note, a flying FMM is different than a driving FMM, so you won't be able to use the one you may still have that is active! Expect to pay going in and again coming out. See my June 2014 Trail of Missions trip report for the amounts: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74324

cedros

dpf33a - 3-8-2016 at 04:17 PM

You can fly into Ensenada or San felipe ( airport of entry)to clear custom then on to Cedros.
You file US and mexican EAPIS prior to departing the USA.

cedros

dpf33a - 3-8-2016 at 04:19 PM

Pilot does not need to pay for visa. same as copilot.

David K - 3-8-2016 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dpf33a  
Pilot does not need to pay for visa. same as copilot.

What does that mean? Both the copter pilot and I (co-pilot) paid for the FMMs at Ensenada going in and coming out.

dpf33a - 3-8-2016 at 04:40 PM

As aircrew we never paid tourist visa if less than few days in Mexico.

David K - 3-8-2016 at 05:25 PM

As aircrew we never paid tourist visa if less than few days in Mexico.

If you are a commercial airline pilot/crew, you are saying? I see that would make sense... of course. Must be some international agreement for airline crews to not undergo the paying of visas as they are working not on vacation?

dpf33a - 3-8-2016 at 11:29 PM

No David,private pilot and your copilot with certificate number do not need to pay for tourist visa at Ensenada or San Felipe. It has been a few years already.

dpf33a - 3-8-2016 at 11:36 PM

https://www.ligainternational.org/Docs/International/Mexico/...

David K - 3-8-2016 at 11:49 PM

No David,private pilot and your copilot with certificate number do not need to pay for tourist visa at Ensenada or San Felipe. It has been a few years already.

Totally different at Ensenada for us in 2014...
Both the pilot and I had to obtain tourist cards, and as for other air passengers, they are not good for more than one trip as you surrender it when you leave from Ensenada going home. I even asked about keeping it. There was even a small fee charged when handing it in.
I just looked at your PowerPoint link, and it too quotes the land FMM deal (180 days multi-use)? Very odd all other flying FMMs discussed are single use?
Mexico has several realities, so no big surprise, I guess?

chavycha - 3-22-2016 at 12:03 AM

I'm tempted...

cedros

dpf33a - 3-24-2016 at 09:37 PM

Do go to Cedros but not during Easter week.

dpf33a - 5-23-2016 at 05:27 PM

i just came through and back through San Felipe. Custom tried to collect visa fee from me but i said since i am the pilot, there is no fee for visit less than a week. He was fine with that.

[Edited on 5-24-2016 by dpf33a]

[Edited on 5-24-2016 by dpf33a]