BajaNomad

Baja 4000 coming to Baja next january. Epic road trip and rally

baja4000 - 3-7-2016 at 01:03 PM

http://www.baja4000.org

Creators Of The World's Largest Amateur Rally Announce Baja 4000

February 26, 2015- Los Angeles. -- Organizers of the world's largest amateur rally have big plans to bring the spirit and energy of the Budapest-Bamako Rally to North America. "We're incredibly excited about launching and running the Baja 4000 next January", said Andrew G. Szabo, creator the Budapest-Bamako. The 11 year old trans-Saharan rally to Mali keeps the flame of barebones rally-raids alive in Africa.
Our new race is a 4000 kilometer long, 10 day, charity off-road race and tour from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas and back. The event is open to any street legal vehicle and anyone with a valid drivers' license. “Our events are open to amateur rally drivers and professional adventurers”, said the 46 year old entrepreneur behind the Baja 4000.
Just like the Budapest-Bamako, the Baja 4000 isn't a timed race where the fastest car wins. The Baja 4000 will be a navigational and endurance rally. Teams have to find GPS check points and complete difficult daily stages on time and on demanding terrain. "By keeping the time element out of our races, we can ensure that even low budget teams with simple vehicles can compete. We never wanted become and arms race, where the team with the biggest budget, the strongest car and the largest pit crew wins", continued the founder of the rally. The race will be monitored and tracked by GPS logger devices.
The touring category will be an off-road raid open to motorcycles, trucks and cars without competition.
The Baja 4000 will start in Los Angeles, CA on January 13th and travel to the Mojave desert. Teams will spend the night at Josha Tree National Park and dash around the Salton Sea to the Imperial Sand Dunes before bidding farewell to California.
The rally will ride along salt flats, rock dirty roads, soft sandy patches through enchanted canyons and virgin beaches on the Sea Of Cortez side of the Baja peninsula. "Just like in Africa most nights will be spent in make shift desert camps, but we'll make sure that every 3-4 days participants can take a shower and have a proper meal”, added the founder of the rally.
After a rest day in Cabo San Lucas the teams will turn North and head towards Guerrero Negro. A half a day will be reserved for whale watching at the UNESCO protected grey whale breathing ground before moving onto the boulder-strewn cactus forests of Catavina.
“The Baja peninsula with its raw natural beauty is pure magic. Unfortunately participants of the pro-races, like the Baja 1000 can’t enjoy this stunning beauty”, said Mr. Szabo

Pre registration is open for the Baja 4000. The pre-registered teams will be invited first to enter in early March. The detailed daily stages will be announced in late April. The rally will benefit abandoned street children and orphans in the Baja peninsula and kids fleeing the savagery of war in the Middle East.
More information:
http://www.Baja4000.org

[file]33395[/file]

Udo - 3-7-2016 at 08:51 PM

Best of luck with your event!

cj5orion - 3-8-2016 at 06:33 AM

NICE !!!!
is this a for sure event ?
ny info on planned "track "?

bajatrailrider - 3-8-2016 at 07:38 AM

This is a long route,for a bike.Good luck with your Rally

willyAirstream - 3-8-2016 at 09:11 AM

I am interested, ThX
keep us updated

Border wait times???

bajaguy - 3-8-2016 at 09:19 AM

Going to be interesting to watch everybody lined up to get their FMM's southbound and passing through US Customs on the way back north

PS: Don't forget to get your vehicle insurance through Bajabound.com

Genecag - 3-8-2016 at 09:26 AM

It's planning time!!!

motoged - 3-8-2016 at 11:18 AM

Verrrrryyyy ambitious :o

"Hey, Joe....let's rent a car in San Diego and drive the caca out of it for a week or two in Baja. Yeah, the guy says we can do that no problem....just get Mexican insurance. What do you mean it sounds like a pipe dream? .....That's how the Paris-Dakar started....."

"Yes, I know.....but they moved that raid to a different continent due to political unrest and kidnappings/ransoms....."

"No worries , pal......Mexico isn't like that....especially Baja.....it's kinda like California's backyard playground....lotsa gringos go there...."

"Ya know, maybe I will do it on a mountain bike....there was a guy I heard about with a fat tire rig rode all over Baja and had no problems with the deep soft sand...."

"Hey....maybe we could dirtbike it....the guy says we can rent dirtbikes from a support crew that will give you another bike if your first one breaks, gets stolen, or sinks in the quicksand on the beach by El Rosario....No, his website wasn't clear about that option or its costs...."

"Or....we could stand-up paddle our way around the peninsula....doesn't look like anybody is doing that....we could be famous !"

"Well, in the meantime, maybe we should just keep track of this on that Nomad website and see what folks are thinking about with this thing......maybe it will fizzle out....or maybe it will make Baja great again...."

Baja 4000 - Classic Baja Epic Roadtrip & Rally

baja4000 - 3-8-2016 at 01:30 PM

Creators Of The World’s Largest Amateur Rally Announce Baja 4000
Ten day, 4000 kilometer rally raid planned for next January in the US and Mexico

February 26, 2015- Los Angeles. — Organizers of the world’s largest amateur rally have big plans to bring the spirit and energy of the Budapest-Bamako Rally to North America. “We’re incredibly excited about launching and running the Baja 4000 next January”, said Andrew G. Szabo, creator the Budapest-Bamako. The 11 year old trans-Saharan rally to Mali keeps the flame of barebones rally-raids alive in Africa.

Our new race is a 4000 kilometer long, 10 day, charity off-road race and tour from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas and back. The event is open to any street legal vehicle and anyone with a valid drivers’ license. “Our events are open to amateur rally drivers and professional adventurers”, said the 46 year old entrepreneur behind the Baja 4000.

Just like the Budapest-Bamako, the Baja 4000 isn’t a timed race where the fastest car wins. The Baja 4000 will be a navigational and endurance rally. Teams have to find GPS check points and complete difficult daily stages on time and on demanding terrain. “By keeping the time element out of our races, we can ensure that even low budget teams with simple vehicles can compete. We never wanted become and arms race, where the team with the biggest budget, the strongest car and the largest pit crew wins”, continued the founder of the rally. The race will be monitored and tracked by GPS logger devices.

The touring category will be an off-road raid open to motorcycles, trucks and cars without competition.

The Baja 4000 will start in Los Angeles, CA on January 20th and travel to the Mojave desert. Teams will spend the night at Josha Tree National Park and dash around the Salton Sea to the Imperial Sand Dunes before bidding farewell to California.

The rally will ride along salt flats, rock dirty roads, soft sandy patches through enchanted canyons and virgin beaches on the Sea Of Cortez side of the Baja peninsula. “Just like in Africa most nights will be spent in make shift desert camps, but we’ll make sure that every 3-4 days participants can take a shower and have a proper meal”, added the founder of the rally.

After a rest day in Cabo San Lucas the teams will turn North and head towards Guerrero Negro. A half a day will be reserved for whale watching at the UNESCO protected grey whale breathing ground before moving onto the boulder-strewn cactus forests of Catavina.

“The Baja peninsula with its raw natural beauty is pure magic. Unfortunately participants of the pro-races, like the Baja 1000 can’t enjoy this stunning beauty”, said Mr. Szabo

Pre registration is open for the Baja 4000. The pre-registered teams will be invited first to enter in early March. The detailed daily stages will be announced in late April. The rally will benefit abandoned street children and orphans in the Baja peninsula and kids fleeing the savagery of war in the Middle East.
More information:
http://www.Baja4000.org

BooJumMan - 3-8-2016 at 01:57 PM

Oh boy, another race I have to plan around. Hope you stress the importance of "Tread Lightly" to your competitors.

BigBearRider - 3-8-2016 at 01:58 PM

Some of the years seem off.

motoged - 3-8-2016 at 02:12 PM

BBR,
Life can be like that.....:biggrin:

Udo - 3-8-2016 at 02:21 PM

Just a note...r.e. the race in April...there will be no whales left to watch. Best time to see the whales is in February, with some left-overs in March.

o3dave - 3-8-2016 at 09:51 PM

It starts Friday the 13th of Jan 2017 in L eh'

“We’re incredibly excited about launching and running the Baja 4000 next January”

The pre-registered teams will be invited first to enter in early March. The detailed daily stages will be announced in late April

Quoted from above

[Edited on 3-9-2016 by o3dave]

4x4abc - 9-23-2016 at 08:09 PM

did anyone sign up yet?

the organizer posted that they'll be on a "recon mission" in October
good move if the event starts in January and you know Baja only from maps
brave guys!

Pix from the last Baja4000

baja4000 - 4-6-2018 at 04:34 PM

Enjoy these stunningly curated Baja pix:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93381786@N07/albums/7215767822...

BAJA 4000 is back

baja4000 - 4-6-2018 at 04:39 PM

The Baja 4000 is back next year:

Watch the highlights from last year:

WATCH VIDEO FROM 2017

BornFisher - 4-6-2018 at 04:47 PM

Thanks-- GREAT pics--- I enjoyed them mucho!!
Lots of stories and lots of rescues!

elgatoloco - 4-6-2018 at 05:00 PM

That looks like a good time. Mostly. :saint:

blackwolfmt - 4-6-2018 at 05:06 PM

Looks like one hel lu va Adventure,, thanks for postin

AKgringo - 4-6-2018 at 05:09 PM

Do you have a link to the terms, and costs to participate?

Edit; Never mind, I see you posted a link in a new thread.

[Edited on 4-7-2018 by AKgringo]

pacificobob - 4-6-2018 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
That looks like a good time. Mostly. :saint:

indeed!

2019 Baja 4000

baja4000 - 4-6-2018 at 05:23 PM

In 2019 the Baja 4000 returns for another edition.
Entries are now open. Let us know if you have any questions about the 2nd edition of this awesome event:

HIGHLIGHT VIDEO OF 2017 EDITION

[file]36923[/file]

4x4abc - 4-6-2018 at 06:17 PM

we don't need more friggin foreigners organizing a "race" through Baja - with all moneys going to foreign bank accounts. Go play somewhere else!

advrider - 4-6-2018 at 06:59 PM

One of the other links has the info if you click on it...

BooJumMan - 4-6-2018 at 07:52 PM

Wasn't this the "race" everyone was complaining about?

Do we really need more races in Baja?

BooJumMan - 4-6-2018 at 07:53 PM

^^ AGREED. So freaking annoying. I spend all my time trying to avoid all the races these days. Why do you need to race? Why not just enjoy it on your own terms?

bajadogs - 4-6-2018 at 08:05 PM

AGREED! This was sorta cool 50 years ago when Baja was still a frontier. Can you imagine a bunch of Mexicans organizing a free-for-all race from Tijuana to Mount Shasta?

bajatrailrider - 4-7-2018 at 07:20 AM

Great story and pictures thank you

caj13 - 4-7-2018 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
^^ AGREED. So freaking annoying. I spend all my time trying to avoid all the races these days. Why do you need to race? Why not just enjoy it on your own terms?

Maybe the road rally is the way they choose to "enjoy it on their own terms"

Not sure who gets to decide who can come into Baja, and how and when they can do it.

seems to me a bunch of foreigners showing up, dropping wads of cash, then leaving would be a significant financial gain for many residents, but maybe I'm wrong!

chippy - 4-7-2018 at 10:02 AM

My Baja. MINE!:P

willardguy - 4-7-2018 at 10:26 AM

and to hell with the little children of baja this is a charity event for!

[Edited on 4-7-2018 by willardguy]

rts551 - 4-7-2018 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
AGREED! This was sorta cool 50 years ago when Baja was still a frontier. Can you imagine a bunch of Mexicans organizing a free-for-all race from Tijuana to Mount Shasta?

So who says they have not. According to tRump tweets, its an on-going race.
:lol:

Paco Facullo - 4-7-2018 at 12:48 PM

Oh great !

Just what we need a bunch of RedNeck racers tearing up the Baja landscape, swilling beer, lighting off fireworks, filling up the hotels, eating thousands of tacos and just enjoying themselves WAY too much !

Hey, can I come along ?

bajatrailrider - 4-8-2018 at 05:41 PM

Whos Complaining I live here your from San Diego.