BajaNomad

Baja Days & Coyote Nights - A Trip Report

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 05:12 PM

Planned a little trip to Baja and as life is wont to do it was changed drastically before I even left home.

My sister was moving to Joshua Tree and offered to pay my expenses to help with the move. Perfect! Most of the drive to Baja and I am able to help someone out on the way!

Originally this was going to be a solo trip. Perhaps spend some time poking around the hills near Walter Henderson’s reported rock pile, but, alas my daughter calls two days before I left and said the doctor said she could not work for two weeks due to a recent car accident.

So with a few changes in packing and plans we leave Northern California for Joshua Tree on March 30th. A day or so in Joshua Tree and on April 1rst we are on the road south to Palm Springs and Indio towards Mexicali and Baja.

A quick border crossing and we stop for FMM’s. We fill out the forms and it comes out to $780 peso or $50 for the both of us. I pay with a thousand pesos, receive a $120 pesos in change and we are off.

Mexicali goes smooth, Pemex stations have signs out offering $17.10 for dollars which is kind of sad since I exchanged my dollars for 15.5 to 1 on the US side which seemed to be the going rate. Oh well.

Even though I have been taking my daughter to Baja since before her second birthday, this is her first trip in several years and as she has matured and enjoyed the joys of work, relationships and responsibilities one finds in young adulthood she is now seeing Mexico with a new and fresh prospective.

Highway 5 was in good shape as we sped south, but not fast enough for many travelers whom seem to believe that this section of highway is a speed test and pass us going 70, 75, 80mph.

I also noticed several highway alignments since I last crossed at Mexicali 8 or 9 years ago.

Soon we are at the turnoff to Ensenada and heading westward. We are waved through the checkpoint without even stopping.

Heading towards Ensenada we started looking for dirt roads northwards towards Walter Henderson’s original camp area. We picked up a portion of an old race course full of whoops, loose rocks and washed out hills.

On one hill we came across this…? A Military outpost? Some ranchers winter camp?

IMG_5672.JPG - 249kB IMG_5673.JPG - 242kB

[Edited on 4-11-2016 by Fatboy]

IMG_5679.JPG - 214kBIMG_5680.JPG - 226kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 05:17 PM

We made it to Arroyo “Grande”, and headed westwards until the first major southbound fork and headed up it. We soon find a Stanley Thermos and wondered who was here and lost it.

This branch narrowed soon and we turned around and headed back to the main branch.

Following the main channel to the second major southbound branch we followed it for a mile or so and setup camp.

As the sun set and the desert came alive we watched the stars appear somewhat in the manner of making popcorn. First one, a pause, then another, then several at once pop, then it seems like all the remaining pop all at once which is followed by silence and a sky full of a billion stars.

IMG_5775.JPG - 112kBIMG_5793.JPG - 119kBIMG_5795.JPG - 126kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 05:20 PM

A coyote starts the chorus and in an instant there is a cacophony of yips and yaps as they discuss the upcoming night and we humans fall asleep under the constellations looking for shooting stars.

Waking early the next morning we laze around camp since my daughter is unable to go hiking because of her injury and I contemplate the reasons for these horrible migraines and wallow in self-pity until the medications starts to take the edge off the pain.

On the rough road in to our campsite yesterday a couple of things happened, one is that the water jug tipped and spilled about a half-gallon of water in the back of the Jeep which lead to a swarm of bees in the Jeep this morning.

Since we were staying here for the day we did not disturb them as they drank all day from this unexpected water source and just used extra caution whenever we had to retrieve anything from the Jeep.

IMG_5682.JPG - 238kBIMG_5690.JPG - 246kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 05:22 PM

The other noteworthy item was the Jeeps secondary radiator fan cracked.

A little field repair involving baby wipes, prayers and duct tape would see us through the trip but we did have to reapply the prayers and duct tape every couple of days.

Early afternoon I was feeling somewhat better I went for a four-mile hike.

No rock pile was found but it was a nice hike. I arrive back at camp at dusk and have a repeat of the previous evenings light and sound show.

IMG_5694.JPG - 196kB

IMG_5708.JPG - 179kBIMG_5712.JPG - 249kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 05:28 PM

Another cool quiet morning as we pack up and prepare to retrace our path back to Highway 3.

All goes well, if not slowly, and we reach the pavement where we break out the compressor to air up the tires and we are off to San Felipe.

On the road out I realize that 780 plus 120 does not add up to 1000. Quick ain’t I? Immigration just got an extra $100 peso from me. Oh well.

At the checkpoint a quick question or two and we are on the way.

San Felipe has added to the outskirts since our last visit 2 years ago. All we need is passage through and we are off to points southwards.

We stop to help a couple that are broken down about 10 miles south of San Felipe. They had run out of gas the previous evening and had been there all night without water or food.

What has happened to us in this day and age when we feel it is unnecessary to stop and provide aid to our fellow humans?

After adding some gas and jumpstarting their dead battery they are on their way northwards while we continue southward. Filling up with fuel in Puertocitoes, we head south to Alfonso’s for lunch and fill up our water jug at the store across the highway in Gonzaga Bay.

There is still a military checkpoint a little north of Gonzaga Bay where there was a quick inspection and they wrote down where we have been, where we were going and my name and let us proceed on our way.

We followed the new pavement across the level plain into the hills were it soon ends a few miles before Coco’s.

We pass the turn off to Calamajue, slam on the brakes and after a quick discussion we decided to go to Calamajue. Backing up to the turn off we our off on new roads and adventures.

I have never been to Calamajue and it is immortalized for me by Graham’s chapter about it in his book Into A Desert Place. That is one good thing about being flexible, it is easy to bend with the winds.

This was some of the driest and most parched section of desert we would see on the whole trip.

IMG_5715.JPG - 226kB IMG_5716.JPG - 223kB IMG_5722.JPG - 188kB IMG_5723.JPG - 233kB

[Edited on 4-13-2016 by Fatboy]

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 05:34 PM

Ahh, Calamajue.

Quite the experience, the empty shacks, the abandoned pangas, the deserted processing buildings.

After setting up camp and stringing up the hammocks I go for a walk exploring the area. I jump a coyote in the brush behind the beach.

A little while after we arrive a pickup also arrive and parks on the beach a little ways from us. Two locals hop out. One of them changes into a wetsuit and heads down to the water and does a little spearfishing.

After 30 minutes or so he leaves the water and changes back in to clothes and starts fishing with a handline.

After another 30 minutes or so he switches to a fishing pole. The whole time the person he is with just hangs out on the beach with him.

With the fishing pole they work their way out to the point where a panga shows up and picks them up and brings them back to the beach.

Well this seems odd so far.

At this point it is late afternoon, almost evening time. The two fisherman from the boat and the two men from the truck are all at the truck chatting for awhile as dusk comes on and stars start coming out.

Now they unload a barrel of something, water? fuel? from the truck into the boat.

Then they slide a big bin to the back of the pickup and start filling a couple of large ice chests with ice from the bin.

O.K. they are here to resupply some fisherman camped somewhere south of here. That makes sense.

At this point the sun has set and it is in that grey twilight time when they prepare to launch the boat, which makes sense, except the driver of the pickup also gets in the boat and into the gloaming the three of them motor off, leaving us wondering and the passenger from the pickup is over there starting a fire.

Well this is odd.

All evening and until I drifted off to sleep the pickup passenger is down the beach from us fueling the fire, whistling and singing out loud.

Around 1 AM I am awakened by the sound of the boat returning and dropping off the driver of the pickup.

Early the next morning I awaken to the sun rising from the depths of the gulf, two coyotes pacing the beach and the pickup passenger singing as he collects firewood behind the beach. Hmmmmm.

IMG_5737.JPG - 201kB IMG_5742.JPG - 164kB IMG_5751.JPG - 164kB IMG_5753.JPG - 227kB IMG_5759.JPG - 228kB IMG_5761.JPG - 185kB IMG_5769.JPG - 156kB IMG_5785.JPG - 95kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 06:23 PM

Part Two after the BBQ....

TMW - 4-10-2016 at 06:45 PM

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 06:48 PM

We pack up and head out and head south through the pass and the wash to Highway 1 instead of going back to Coco’s Corner and on to Highway 1.

We stop at the mineral spring and walk around.

IMG_5822.JPG - 226kBIMG_5824.JPG - 248kBIMG_5835.JPG - 242kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 06:53 PM

At Preita we turn off to BOLA.

The road starts off well enough but the closer one gets to BOLA the worse it gets. There are a few detours as they rebuild some of the bridges and there are many sections with no pavement.

We fill up with BIFF (Beer, Ice, Food and Fuel) in BOLA and are on our way to Las Animas. The road is about average with slightly different routing in the washes a few miles from Las Animas.

A couple of observations, not accurate, just mine, seems that there are fewer basura cans along the roads and a lot less traffic on the road.

Even approaching Las Animas I was expecting the first couple of campsites to be occupied but what actually occurred was twice as shocking.

The first two spots were empty, the place seemed deserted. We stopped at the ‘nicest’ campsite on the way in thinking how lucky…deserted. We stop and get out and hear English, lots of English.

Following the many voices we cross over a dune and there in all its majestic hideousness we see it. 30, 40, 50 campers! I was shocked.

All right, no camping here. We follow the road out to the north facing beach and set up camp. Even here, a ¼ mile away we would hear the mob camped on the beach south of us.

IMG_5943.JPG - 249kBIMG_5942.JPG - 185kBIMG_5957.JPG - 247kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 06:58 PM

After some more stargazing we fall asleep on the beach.

In the morning we see a coyote over by the mangroves and my daughter says she thinks one tried to take the blanket she was using as a pillow last night.

We spend the day beachcombing, relaxing, climbing hills, shell collecting, dolphin watching.

There are the remains of a large turtle on the beach.

As the day ends and darkness settles in we walk the beach after dark looking for crabs.

IMG_5843.JPG - 110kBIMG_5965.JPG - 248kBIMG_5983.JPG - 149kBIMG_5974.JPG - 141kBIMG_5972.JPG - 155kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 07:02 PM

Around 3:30AM I am attacked by a coyote.

Awakened from a sound sleep by a bite to my head.

The coyote trots off thirty feet and stares at us. We stand up and yell at it and it runs away.

We grab the flashlights and see eyes glowing in the darkness about 100 feet away. A couple of rocks thrown in their direction and the eyes disappear.

We return to camp and clean the bite wound. We lay down but are too keyed up and slightly frightened to fall asleep until shortly before dawn.

Awakening the next morning shortly after sunrise we pack out and leave Las Animas to the tourist mob, annoying little flies and the biting coyotes and head out.

IMG_5901.JPG - 213kBIMG_5894.JPG - 222kBIMG_5930.JPG - 217kB

AKgringo - 4-10-2016 at 07:21 PM

Well done on the report! Las Animas and Calumajue were two places I planned on checking out on the trip I was forced to cancel this season.

This takes ALL the burn out of staying home and following other people's trips on this forum!

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 07:28 PM

TMW....Thanks

soulpatch.... If some told me a week that they were attacked by a coyote it would have went in the file with the Bigfoot and UFO sightings... now doing research afterwards it seems this is actually becoming a serious issue... hopefully no rabies

BornFisher - 4-10-2016 at 08:24 PM

Fantastic!!! Love the pics, story, unusual happenings, drama!! Great work!!!

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 08:29 PM

We decide to head out via El Barril and El Arco instead of heading back to BOLA. Another new road for us.

We hit Hwy 1 south of Guerro Negro and made a beeline for town.

In town we did some laundry, filled up the water jug and our bellies before heading north.

We filled up the fuel tank in Villa Jesus Maria, went through the military checkpoint north of town.

About 10 miles south of the turn of to the mission of San Borja we take a dirt track out to the pacific ocean to camp for the night.

I am sure this area has a name but I do not know it but here are some pictures....

IMG_6000.JPG - 244kBIMG_6007.JPG - 245kBIMG_6008.JPG - 205kBIMG_6023.JPG - 240kBIMG_6025.JPG - 184kBIMG_6040.JPG - 218kBIMG_6042.JPG - 241kB

TMW - 4-10-2016 at 08:33 PM

This is the first time I heard of someone (adult) being attacked by a coyote while camping/sleeping. My brother had one grab his water bottle near his head one night. I guess the more they are around humans the braver they get. Hope you are OK.

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 08:42 PM

Me too but read I the Wikipedia page on coyote attacks ... 19 year old Canadian was killed a few years back .... of course it was by the "coywolf" but lots of attacks last twenty years

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 08:49 PM

Sorry to see the arch gone but they replaced it with this...

IMG_6009.JPG - 171kBIMG_6017.JPG - 211kBIMG_6012.JPG - 172kBIMG_6037.JPG - 173kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 08:50 PM

More pics...

IMG_6027.JPG - 244kBIMG_6052.JPG - 206kBIMG_6049.JPG - 237kBIMG_6055.JPG - 214kBIMG_6073.JPG - 205kB

MMc - 4-10-2016 at 08:52 PM

I do enjoy that place, there are a couple of more ovens, he will build you for you if you ask and gather up the rocks. The compass is very impressive. the "Archy Thing"and the compass are pure art.

I had a Coyote lick my face one night after making tempura for dinner, it never occurred to me I might have been bit until now. I also watched one being hand feed by a couple of knuckle headed tourist. This was is Joshua Tree in the 80's.

[Edited on 4-11-2016 by MMc]

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 08:53 PM

We have been fighting a couple of slow leaks on two of the tires and this morning it came to a head.

Went to hook up the compressor and it would not put out any air.

Here is my daughter doing field repairs to get us back on the road....

IMG_6078.JPG - 201kBIMG_6080.JPG - 202kB

Genecag - 4-10-2016 at 08:55 PM

wow!! great trip report! Thanks for sharing!!

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:03 PM

K no pics on this portion....

We get back to Hwy 1 and head north to the turn off to the Mission San Borja.

We see a coyote today about halfway to the mission and yesterday we saw a couple near the ocean.

Well a couple of dirt road pictures....

IMG_5818.JPG - 170kBIMG_5993.JPG - 182kBIMG_5996.JPG - 243kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:12 PM

Mission is awesome as always. After the tour of the Mission the girl takes us to the hot spring and lets my daughter soak her broken foot in the hot spring.

She points out the different fruit trees they have there...Lemon, pomegranate, avocado, mango....

Awesome time at the mission.

We head north planning on spending the night in BOLA.

We get to BOLA around 1 and get a room at Costa del Sol. How nice, a luke warm shower, after days of solar showering feels great.

Clean and refreshed we go for a drive out past La Gringa. Again another new spot for me. We drive out until the road fades out in a wash and turn around and head back to the hotel.

IMG_6108.JPG - 138kB IMG_6104.JPG - 238kB IMG_6109.JPG - 207kB IMG_6112.JPG - 124kB IMG_6113.JPG - 242kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:24 PM

The next morning we are up early.

After a great breakfast at the hotel we head out.

We get to Hwy 1 and continue northwards and have a decision to make.

Take highway 5 to San Felipe or take 1 to Ensenada?

My daughter was 8 or 9 the last time we traveled 1 south of Ensenada.

So 1 it was. This would turn out to be a bittersweet choice with some tragedy along the way.

We detoured to El Marmol, another first and then north of Catavina there is an historical site they haved marked out.

Both will worth the detour.

IMG_6116.JPG - 111kB IMG_6131.JPG - 132kB IMG_6156.JPG - 164kB IMG_6158.JPG - 244kB IMG_6198.JPG - 186kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:26 PM

More Pics....

IMG_6184.JPG - 242kBIMG_6189.JPG - 236kBIMG_6208.JPG - 149kBIMG_6229.JPG - 238kBIMG_6232.JPG - 234kBIMG_6234.JPG - 137kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:38 PM

From Catavina northwards we were following the rains. It made for some beautiful sights.

In El Rosario we filled up with tacos and fuel before continuing northwards.

The checkpoint north of town was quick and we enjoyed the road, the views and the small towns.

IMG_6241.JPG - 164kBIMG_6254.JPG - 125kBIMG_6257.JPG - 178kBIMG_6263.JPG - 243kBIMG_6269.JPG - 141kBIMG_6286.JPG - 248kBIMG_6287.JPG - 93kBIMG_6288.JPG - 200kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:47 PM

In a heartbeat disaster strikes and changes lives forever

In one of the many small towns along this section of road we come upon an accident.

A small pickup sideswiped a semi. The small truck was crumpled and the driver door was gone and there, still in the seat, was the driver covered with a blanket.

It brings my daughter to tears.

We continue onward with conversations about life and death and the scenery slowly drives the image of the accident from our minds.

We stop, smell the rain, the flowers....

Before moving northwards again.

IMG_6290.JPG - 180kB IMG_6293.JPG - 106kB IMG_6300.JPG - 153kB IMG_6305.JPG - 233kB IMG_6314.JPG - 233kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 09:56 PM

Onwards to Ensenada, we go. North of town we turn towards Tecate and home.

Just outside of Tecate we fill up with fuel, and turn eastward towards Mexicali.

Pay the tolls, travel through the rain and fog to were the highway drops down to valley floor thousands of feet below.

In the darkness we travel the myraid of Z's and W's downward.

Then like an arrow for Mexicali.

1 hour to cross the border.

2:30 am we arrive at my sisters in Joshua Tree, with memories full, bodies tired, jeep bug splattered and ticking as it cools.

IMG_6339.JPG - 143kBIMG_6345.JPG - 130kB

Fatboy - 4-10-2016 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I do enjoy that place, there are a couple of more ovens, he will build you for you if you ask and gather up the rocks. The compass is very impressive. the "Archy Thing"and the compass are pure art.

I had a Coyote lick my face one night after making tempura for dinner, it never occurred to me I might have been bit until now. I also watched one being hand feed by a couple of knuckle headed tourist. This was is Joshua Tree in the 80's.

What is that area referred to as? And 'who' will build you an oven? Did one person do most of that?

MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE!!!!:lol: :lol:

4x4abc - 4-10-2016 at 10:07 PM

beautiful stuff!

fdt - 4-10-2016 at 10:43 PM

Thank you for the great trip report. How are you doing regarding the bite?
Wish you the best,
saludos

ehall - 4-11-2016 at 05:45 AM

Wow. Great trip report and pictures. Strange behavior for a coyote. He should of went for something with some meat like an arm or leg. Lol sounds like it wasn't too bad?

rhintransit - 4-11-2016 at 06:55 AM

marvelous trip report...thank you for sharing

chuckie - 4-11-2016 at 07:08 AM

THANKS!

BigBearRider - 4-11-2016 at 07:08 AM

Awesome!

The coyote attack made me think of the rabid burro in Graham's book. Hopefully, there is no issue.

I'd love to know where the stone compass is.

AKgringo - 4-11-2016 at 07:31 AM

Those of us with short attention spans appreciate you putting your trip report in a chapter format! While I am glad you made it home, I was looking forward to the next chapter.

I was at Dagget's camp in BOLA in 2013, and my deaf old dog slept right through a coyote raid on my food supply just four feet away from us. It was a sneak attack, and the critter bolted when discovered, and this was not in the dead of the night. There was a loud party going on that night not a hundred feet away from my camp.

The dog I have now is large, strong and alert enough that I can't imagine a coyote getting that close to us again. She is more than a match for a single coyote, but it is my responsibility to make sure that she is not able to chase one back to the rest of the pack!

Ateo - 4-11-2016 at 07:50 AM

Amazing words, photos and experiences. I hope to one day do a solo trip with my daughter, all grown up, where she repairs a compressor or whatever. Cool girl you have! Nice report. THANKS.

woody with a view - 4-11-2016 at 08:02 AM

Was the compressor issue the little tab having broken off? Been there....

Nice trip!

Fatboy - 4-11-2016 at 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the kind responses!

As to the coyote bite: he bit me on the top of my head from the forehead back towards where one would have a cowlick.

Only one tooth penetrated the skin near my forehead just with in my hairline.

Our biggest concern is/was rabies. We cleaned it well at the time and put some first aid cream on it.

At this time it is just a small scab which I expect to be gone in a few more days.

As to coyotes attacking, I too was hesitant to believe they would approach adult humans so closely prior to this and all the reading I have done since has changed my outlook on them.

PBS did a bit on the COYWOLF which is on Netflix. They say that there could be hundreds of coyotes in the metro Chicago area alone.

Fatboy - 4-11-2016 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Amazing words, photos and experiences. I hope to one day do a solo trip with my daughter, all grown up, where she repairs a compressor or whatever. Cool girl you have! Nice report. THANKS.

And Woody also.....

The air compressor failed due to the air intake valve breaking. They are just little flaps of metal that allow airflow in only one direction.

My daughter removed the 'head', cut a temp flap valve out of plastic, wedged in place and taped it down and put it all back together.

It worked, we aired up the tires and were on our way. :)

Fatboy - 4-11-2016 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Awesome!

The coyote attack made me think of the rabid burro in Graham's book. Hopefully, there is no issue.

BigBearRider This a popular spot with way more than what I showed. I have GPS tracks of the whole trip but will not be home for a few more days yet.

If someone doesn't chime and give a better idea by then I will update this.

I access it a few miles north of the military checkpoint that is a a few miles north of Villa Jesus Maria.

You are then on the southern portion of the dirt road that goes a 100 miles northward along the pacific ocean which is an awesome trip to do.

Fatboy - 4-11-2016 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Those of us with short attention spans appreciate you putting your trip report in a chapter format! While I am glad you made it home, I was looking forward to the next chapter.

I was at Dagget's camp in BOLA in 2013, and my deaf old dog slept right through a coyote raid on my food supply just four feet away from us. It was a sneak attack, and the critter bolted when discovered, and this was not in the dead of the night. There was a loud party going on that night not a hundred feet away from my camp.

The dog I have now is large, strong and alert enough that I can't imagine a coyote getting that close to us again. She is more than a match for a single coyote, but it is my responsibility to make sure that she is not able to chase one back to the rest of the pack!

Thank You too for the kind responses and you are right - how can one convey some much details in a post put not lose all of us that have shorter attention span....someday perhaps I will learn.

Very good point about your current dog....whether true or not I have heard stories of small groups of coyotes luring dogs out then attacking them.

Somehow keep her restrained but able to defend/alert you in the immediate area.

Don Jorge - 4-11-2016 at 08:55 AM

Great trip report. So glad you were able to make such a special trip with your daughter. Nothing like a daughter who can get 'er done!

MMc - 4-11-2016 at 09:24 AM

Yes, the rock work is done by one guy, He lives there a lot of the winter. If you're a long time camper there in the winter and help them collect the rocks eventually you'll get a oven made. He is a very nice guy and if you spend sometime there you'll get to know him.

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

What is that area referred to as? And 'who' will build you an oven? Did one person do most of that?

MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE!!!!:lol: :lol:

woody with a view - 4-11-2016 at 09:42 AM

Do a search for MV-50 or whatever the model number is. I did a repair write up. I used a TKT tab for my flapper.

DianaT - 4-11-2016 at 03:15 PM

Enjoyed your trip report a lot --- excellent job and very descriptive pictures. Overall, it sounds like you both had a great time!

Coyote bite, wow. Just my 2 cents --- are you up to date with your tetanus shot. Never know where that coyote tooth was before.

Those accidents are always difficult to erase from one's mind. Sad, very sad.

Fatboy - 4-11-2016 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Enjoyed your trip report a lot --- excellent job and very descriptive pictures. Overall, it sounds like you both had a great time!

Coyote bite, wow. Just my 2 cents --- are you up to date with your tetanus shot. Never know where that coyote tooth was before.

Those accidents are always difficult to erase from one's mind. Sad, very sad.

Thanks! :)

Tetanus? And here I was worried about a little thing like rabies and you go and make we worried about a similar problem that is even more common!

True about the accident :no:

Sweetwater - 4-11-2016 at 04:00 PM

Nicely done Trip Report, very informative.

If Rabies was endemic to that coyote population or even if not, the medical community would have you treated. There is still not a successful treatment for the disease. Even undocumented dog bites get the treatment.

woody with a view - 4-11-2016 at 04:14 PM

Panqueros have told me that one is usually not a problem (I bet you'd disagree?) but two or more will easily take an adult human down.

Bajaboy - 4-11-2016 at 08:49 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

MMc - 4-11-2016 at 09:22 PM

To deal with coyotes to stay aggressive and cover your back. Rocks sticks help too.

chippy - 4-12-2016 at 05:45 AM

How to deal with coyotes? Have we all forgotten "the Roadrunner"? beep beep.:P

One word

bajaguy - 4-12-2016 at 07:30 AM

ACME

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uZA5TeRRL._SY344_BO1...

Jeep parts

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2016 at 09:54 AM

This was a great trip report. How did your radiator pan out? Mopar radiators are very reliable - lasting 100,000 miles typically. I had installed a Specter (sp) radiator 3 years ago, and despite the low, low price - it is still working reliably. I plan to upgrade back to a Mopar OEM radiator after I upgrade driveshafts (due to a missing dust boot thanks to some rock damage). Your photography was excellent. How about your tires? Do they have a slow leak due to lots of hard miles off road?

Fatboy - 4-12-2016 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
This was a great trip report. How did your radiator pan out? Mopar radiators are very reliable - lasting 100,000 miles typically. I had installed a Specter (sp) radiator 3 years ago, and despite the low, low price - it is still working reliably. I plan to upgrade back to a Mopar OEM radiator after I upgrade driveshafts (due to a missing dust boot thanks to some rock damage). Your photography was excellent. How about your tires? Do they have a slow leak due to lots of hard miles off road?

Geez, Ken, 1 question at a time :lol:
Jeep has 270K, all original 'cept brakes, ujoints and normal routine stuff...so fan still working but now that I am home I will either 'permantly' repair or replace it.

Tires....I am cheap and poor and tires are so expensive - so I always carry plugs, a compressor, a good spare and road hazard warranty on them.... Both were replaced at no charge back in the states yesterday. One had a nail in it and one had what appeared to be a cactus thorn through the sidewall.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics but I was really lazy on camera this trip. Not many pictures, the ones I did take I left the camera on auto-blah mode and spent little time on composition and now I kinda regret it....oh well

wilderone - 4-13-2016 at 06:33 AM

"I left the camera on auto-blah mode and spent little time on composition and now I kinda regret it...."
Even so - great photos. A couple of the desert morning shots, I could almost smell and feel the cool morning, the cooler sand under foot before the sun warms everything up.

David K - 4-13-2016 at 07:22 AM

Just getting into this... and it looks fantastic. I will be back to read it in depth. Thank you Fatboy, looks like we share some of the same Baja interests?

Fatboy - 4-13-2016 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just getting into this... and it looks fantastic. I will be back to read it in depth. Thank you Fatboy, looks like we share some of the same Baja interests?

I would say so, prefer the dirt road to main street, stargazing to window shopping, what is over the hill to what is on the next block.

Fatboy - 4-13-2016 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"I left the camera on auto-blah mode and spent little time on composition and now I kinda regret it...."
Even so - great photos. A couple of the desert morning shots, I could almost smell and feel the cool morning, the cooler sand under foot before the sun warms everything up.

Thank You for the kind words.

I just look back now that it is over wishing I would have put more effort in it because I know the possibilities are there.

bajaking76 - 4-13-2016 at 02:57 PM

Fantastic report and amazing pictures...thank you for sharing.

WestyWanderer - 4-13-2016 at 11:17 PM

Awesome!

Big Bear,

I'm probably going to get black balled for saying this, but the rock art including the stone compass is at a popular spot called "The Wall." The turnoff is at KM 61 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. Neat place, great beach camping.

Fatboy - 4-14-2016 at 12:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Awesome!

Big Bear,

I'm probably going to get black balled for saying this, but the rock art including the stone compass is at a popular spot called "The Wall." The turnoff is at KM 61 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. Neat place, great beach camping.

Thanks WestyWanderer, I could take someone there, or tell them which telephone pole to turn at, but I cannot give some coherent directions on how to get there!

BigBearRider - 4-14-2016 at 09:22 AM

Awesome!

Big Bear,

I'm probably going to get black balled for saying this, but the

rock art including the stone compass is at a popular spot called "The Wall." The turnoff is at KM 61 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. Neat place, great beach camping.

Thanks. Very helpful. I may stop by next week!

motoged - 4-14-2016 at 10:20 AM

Big Bear,

I think that is the place where some hoogabooga stuff happens to car batteries draining....and maybe other mysterious happenings....seems like a "must visit" place.

woody with a view - 4-14-2016 at 11:42 AM

Ged, it's to the north a few miles from the portal to the parralel universe. There is a surf spot there called Wimps and Gimps so everyone is invited.

motoged - 4-14-2016 at 11:46 AM

Wimps and Gimps....finally a beach where I can fit in....

bajaandy - 4-14-2016 at 06:48 PM

Thank you Sir, for taking us along on your journey! You're writing and pics conveyed the emotion and vibe that can only be had in Baja. Looks like you had a great trip with your daughter. I love the randomness of turning down a road you've never been down before to find what adventures lay at its end.

David K - 1-24-2018 at 04:50 PM

Just had a fresh look at a great Trip Report! Thanks again, Fatboy!!

Fatboy - 2-16-2018 at 01:35 PM

Thanks, David!

Was at Las Animas in the middle of Jan and had more coyote issues there. The local coyotes just have something against me I guess, at least I wasn't bitten again.

They did run off with a rubber hatch cover for one of our kayaks though.

fishbuck - 2-16-2018 at 02:05 PM

I love it. Very inspiring.

David K - 2-16-2018 at 02:17 PM

Too funny!
In January 2017, I camped out there on the beach just north of the estero. I noticed a Tacoma parked near the first beach (just past the abandoned fishing camp area by the estero mouth. It was actually New Years Day when I left and drove over to check on the fellow Tacoma camper to make sure he was okay.

Hi name was Abe and he was from Colorado. Abe said he was there for a while and had not finished enjoying the camp. He was fine and didn't need anything. That was so nice to know that one could just go park on a beach in Baja and not have to leave until he wanted to.

Here are the photos I took at Las Animas:
Going in Jan. 31, 2016:

Leaving Jan. 1, 2017 (it began to rain after sunrise):

The Mystery Walls, 2 miles south of the bay, up on the mesa. We explored this possible 'lost mission' in 2009: www.vivabaja.com/109

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by David K]

Fatboy - 2-16-2018 at 02:24 PM

Cool pictures of the clouds and rainbow.

I did find something to me which seems weird stuck in one of the large Cardons along the road there.

I have video of it, but I will have to see if I have any pictures I can post.

What it is. is a stick stuck into the cactus. What makes it weird is that it is sticking straight out and it is more than 10 feet off the ground.

My first thought is that it was and old indian arrow, it is not a smooth, round stick, but it is about the right length and thickness for what one would think an arrow should be.

Fatboy - 2-16-2018 at 02:37 PM

Here are some pictures, they really don't do it justice though.

As far as the height, holding my camera tripod fully extended, as high as I can the camera would be about 4 inches above the stick.

I am 6 foot tall and I can reach another foot or foot and a half, and the tripod is a 40 inch tripod. So at least 10 feet up.

IMG_4951.JPG - 244kB

IMG_4952.JPG - 196kB

Dog vs coyote update.

AKgringo - 2-16-2018 at 02:54 PM

Thank You too for the kind responses and you are right - how can one convey some much details in a post put not lose all of us that have shorter attention span....someday perhaps I will learn.

Very good point about your current dog....whether true or not I have heard stories of small groups of coyotes luring dogs out then attacking them.

Somehow keep her restrained but able to defend/alert you in the immediate area.

I had forgotten about this thread, thanks DK for bringing it back!

My new BDF (best dog friend) got her first exposure to Baja coyotes a year ago near Campo Beluga on Gonzaga Bay.

I was car camping with her, and her pre-dawn growling let me know that some critter was around. At first light, I was looking at a pack of coyotes engageing in what I would describe as a 'courting ritual' about fifty yards in front of us!

She must have a deep seated understanding of what a pack can do, because she was staring at them, but did not move or make a sound to attract their attention. I would be willing to bet that she would have been barking at a single coyote!

Fatboy - 2-16-2018 at 03:29 PM

There is/was talk that coyotes would lure out dogs with a mating ritual only to kill them. Wonder if that was or is true.

4x4abc - 2-16-2018 at 04:39 PM

There is/was talk that coyotes would lure out dogs with a mating ritual only to kill them. Wonder if that was or is true.

I had heard the same thing and while in camp at the Guerrero Negro whale watching site we saw a coyote maybe 40 yards away "singing" as best as he could.
My dog liked it.
She ran over to him.
Some quiet sniffing around and off she went with Mr. Coyote.
My heart stood still - my dog was gone.
I was sure to never see her again.
No sounds of fighting or distress in the bushes.
About an hour later she walked back into camp as if nothing had happened.

So, yes, coyotes lure dogs away to meet with them.
At least in my case it was not to ambush the dog.

Paco Facullo - 2-16-2018 at 05:08 PM

"About an hour later she walked back into camp as if nothing had happened."

Your dog probably couldn't resist sum hot Mr. Baja Coyote love in the bushes..

In the Dog circles there is a rumor of wild Mexican Coyote sex.....

Would have been neat to see the puppies had she got pregnant ....

4x4abc - 2-16-2018 at 05:11 PM

what happens in Guerrero Negro stays in Guerrero Negro

AKgringo - 2-16-2018 at 05:15 PM

Fatboy, I just read through this thread again, and have a question. Did the migraines quit after the coyote acupuncture? If so, he may have known what was wrong, and how to fix it!

Fatboy - 2-16-2018 at 05:31 PM

Fatboy, I just read through this thread again, and have a question. Did the migraines quit after the coyote acupuncture? If so, he may have known what was wrong, and how to fix it!

Oh I so wish that was the case...:lol: