BajaNomad

"Amigos...."

surfer jim - 1-29-2005 at 08:53 AM

Just wondering how many people who post here used to post on the old Amigos de Baja board......any" old timers" left?.....

I was an Amigo

Ken Bondy - 1-29-2005 at 09:05 AM

backninedan - 1-29-2005 at 09:50 AM

I was an Amigo also.

Amigos

meme - 1-29-2005 at 09:57 AM

I was an Amigo!

Oso - 1-29-2005 at 10:02 AM

Me too. I really miss it, especially the old days before any feces flinging started.

I was there also

Sallysouth - 1-29-2005 at 10:09 AM

It was a really fun board.Lots of name calling here but good stuff also!

David A. - 1-29-2005 at 10:12 AM

My wife and I were both Amigos, David A. and Margarita girl.:spingrin:

Yo tambi?n, y todavia sigo siendo un amigo

BajaVida - 1-29-2005 at 10:30 AM

thebajarunner - 1-29-2005 at 10:46 AM

Baja Vida told me about "Amigos" so I went there, got registered and wrote a really long and (in my opinion) a great soliloquy on some of my memories.
That was the weekend it disappeared... along with my lengthy treatise.
So, if about 12 hours counts, I too was one.

Baja Arriba!!

Surfer Jim

Baja Bernie - 1-29-2005 at 10:56 AM

Yes, I was an Amigo.
I even developed a T shirt with Earl's permission---The message---

"Amigo's de Baja, Friends Helping Friends."

Gave a few away at Keri's first Book Signing.

If you run into Earl just ask him what a headache running a board is AND then thank Doug as I am now doing.

THANKS DOUG!!!!

The Sculpin - 1-29-2005 at 11:39 AM

I was an Amigo...Earl and Trish had that baby dialed in!

and who can forget Cornell....man, what a turnaround.......rip

Mike Humfreville - 1-29-2005 at 12:15 PM

So was I. But the bitterness took it down. nomads can get like that too, but when you think about it, it's always the same two or three folks.

Earle posted a lengthy report on Bahia de Los Angeles a month or so back on Fred's board. I hope he and Eric and Trish are all doing well.

Thanks too to Doug for all his efforts.

DanO - 1-29-2005 at 12:22 PM

I plead guilty to cluttering the bandwidth of that board with long-winded and obtuse narratives. One or two may actually have been funny (at least to me). Wish I could remember what they were about.

Eli - 1-29-2005 at 12:26 PM

I posted a little at the end of the Amigos era. And well I bet it is a pain to run one of these boards, and of course I never stop thanking Doug for giving us a place to land when Amigos folded.

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by Eli]

bajaloco - 1-29-2005 at 12:48 PM

Once an Amigo...always an Amigo...I still have my Amigos de Baja tee shirt. Hey Doug...what about a Nomad shirt? You already have a great artist in Randy Mac.

That was when I found out there were others

jrbaja - 1-29-2005 at 01:07 PM

interested in Baja besides just me:lol::lol::lol: These boards are a veritable wealth of information based on tourists visits here. With some factual information thrown in every once in a while for good measure.
As far as the few who clutter and complain about certain things, wouldn't it all be just peachy if everyone looked the same, thought the same, acted the same?
Wait just a ding danged minute here, that's BOLA, Los Barriles and Orange County already!!
For real stories and information, I would pick the ones from those who don't hang out in the same enclaves ever year! Spicier to say the least and this board is about Baja after all! Nomads Board, not Nomads Bored.:light:

cristobal - 1-29-2005 at 01:41 PM

I posted on that ..... AMIGO board .... :bounce: ..... :o:o

:smug:;D:o:wow::P:P

Bajabus - 1-29-2005 at 02:19 PM

I posted for what seemed like eons on that board. It was great but got a little sour at the end with the censorship getting a bit one sided in my opinion.

It's not easy to run and moderate a board, especially a very popular one, so I respected their right to run it the way they saw fit and moved over here when there were only 10-15 users.

I had a great time with folks on Amigos and have made some wonderful friends from it.

jeans - 1-29-2005 at 03:10 PM

My first post on the old Amigos board was in the spring of 1998....a question regarding Tajo Canyon. My first response was from Neal Johns, along with an invitation to his Desert Explorers outing.

He was trolling for wives-in-waiting way back then....

I, of course, am WIW#1 :tumble:

El Jefe - 1-29-2005 at 03:13 PM

Yes, me too. That board was a lot of fun. I miss El Surfo Loco too. He was pretty entertaining, like JR on steroids. :yes:

Like this great board it gave one a little taste when you were stuck in the northlands at work or whatever. Not that I would ever waste taxpayers' money surfing Baja Nomad.:saint:

22 Mondays and counting to retirement on the beach. It's getting hard to stay focused.....

Natalie Ann - 1-29-2005 at 03:19 PM

I too be an Amigo... or was during its last couple of years. Nice group of people both there and now on Nomads. Thanks Doug for all your hard work and patience with us! :yes:

In my Heart I will Always be an Amigo!

Skeet/Loreto - 1-29-2005 at 03:24 PM

Today my wife is wearing her amigos T=Shirt she got at the Book signing.
I think that Earle and Trish brought out the Best of Us who love Baja. The Off Topic Forum brings out the Worst in Us.!!

911 Happened and was the Start of a Vast change in the U.S. which in turn caused a change in our interactions with other amigos.

Sure was good for me to have the amigos board there when I got lonesome.
thanks to all of You and may God Bless You!!

Skeet/Loreto

PabloS - 1-29-2005 at 04:00 PM

I lurked and posted once in while :bounce:
Always liked Amigos board and now thanks to Doug we can still share our love for Baja on the Internet.

Thanks Doug!

What has 9/11 got to do what happened to the various Baja boards?

BajaVida - 1-29-2005 at 06:51 PM

seems that intolerance, rudeness and people just wanting to pick a fight with others has been the curse of these boards

just a thought:cool:

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by BajaVida]

Gypsy Jan - 1-29-2005 at 07:26 PM

I am also an Amigo.

I discovered the board sometime around 1996 (more or less), when I was practicing on the Internet to learn more about subjects of interest.

The stories on the board captivated me and enriched my knowledge and enthusiasm for the world of Baja.

Not being an active camper or explorer, I didn't start posting until the point when I became a full time resident and learned a few things to share.

I have fond memories of the old Amigos board, even the bitter postings; after all, aren't dogfights a feature of the Mexican culture?

Yo aun me considero amigo

fdt - 1-29-2005 at 08:47 PM

Y que viva LdB wherever he may be

surfer jim - 1-29-2005 at 08:47 PM

I didn't think there would be that many still around.....the other day I broke the rear window in my camper shell and it had a decal with the fish on it from Amigos days....was sad to see it go in the trash with all the broken glass I had to throw out....

Bajvida

Skeet/Loreto - 1-30-2005 at 09:06 AM

Sorry you mistook the meaning of my Post.
It was not intednded to "Pick a Fight" or to be Rude.
I was trying to point out a real difference between the "Old" amigos Postings and the Postings on this board.

It seemed to me that there was more Happiness, Fun, information etc on the old amigos Board, then came 911 and things and people seemed to change.

The Election came about and I still remember the First Post of "BajaBus', then Steph. AA. Grover,Margie, All the Flaming and Bad Words, as a result of those Words many people were turned Off and went elsewhere.

I do think that there are a lot of new found Friends of Baja which have been brought about by the two Boards.

Skeet/Loreto

LdB

David K - 1-30-2005 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
ferna , I was just thinking about him today.

Lorenzo is still alive and kicking! He sends me an email every so often and I keep him up to date on mission information. I suspect he is reading the boards, still.

After that pier meeting in 2000 (see photo below of Lorenzo, wearing hat), he and I went on two trips to Baja: http://vivabaja.com/davidlorenzo and http://vivabaja.com/baja_2001 (remember the 'cilantro' farm we walked into?)

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by David K]

fishuntr - 1-30-2005 at 12:52 PM

I was pretty active on the Amigos board for a while. Met some real nice people on it. Miss it.

we got busted

fdt - 1-30-2005 at 01:59 PM

funny, on that 1st Viva Baja I took a bottle of Cazadores and LdB & I opened it inside the restaurant, started pouring in our beer mugs and the waitres comes along and confiscates the bottle :(

Santiago - 1-30-2005 at 02:47 PM

I started posting/reading somewhere in '97. My last t-shirt pretty much wore out a few months ago. My boys still talk about BBBB#1 when it was OK to actually say "BBBB". Somewhere I have a bunch of photos........;) I'll never forget hiring the Castros of Cabo Pulmo to take us fishing and then coming home, opening up Amigos and reading this huge rant from ESL regarding them. What was the deal there anyway????

Skeet, you did not offend me

BajaVida - 1-30-2005 at 03:09 PM

I was not suggesting you were rude or picking a fight--those comments certainly do not apply to you the man who carries dos palos, big ones at that.

I was there too.

Paulina - 1-30-2005 at 07:57 PM

And I still have an extra sticker in my wallet somewhere...

<*)))><

Paulina

Mike Humfreville - 1-30-2005 at 08:04 PM

Check out this thread by pompano...

Camp Gecko & BOLA area questions...??

You could answer some questions there.

David K - 1-30-2005 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
... I'll never forget hiring the Castros of Cabo Pulmo to take us fishing and then coming home, opening up Amigos and reading this huge rant from ESL regarding them. What was the deal there anyway????

The deal was the Castro family are squatters and ESL (el surfo loco) owned the land... He (Cornel) spent thousands and thousands trying to get his land back... ESL changed his handle to Chopy and also changed his ranting attitude to a more friendly, helpful amigo. He was really fun to meet at BBBB-4... He died/ or was killed, not long after. Very sad...
Here is Chopy (ESL) with 'M' at BBBB-4:

David K - 1-30-2005 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
funny, on that 1st Viva Baja I took a bottle of Cazadores and LdB & I opened it inside the restaurant, started pouring in our beer mugs and the waitres comes along and confiscates the bottle :(

Yes, that was funny... It was at the restaurant after we met at the pier (not Viva Baja #1, which was a few months later), and you presented the bottle to Lorenzo as a gift. Lorenzo tried to conceal his pouring the contents into a glass, but the waitress saw him!

Mike Humfreville - 1-30-2005 at 11:43 PM

Like many of us, I sure do miss Lorenzo. Amigos got too hostil. We've learned from that. All but an abrassive few.

David K - 1-30-2005 at 11:49 PM

I will email this thread to him Mike... maybe he will drop in?

It is meeting personally that increases the pleasure of Internet conversing...

I am getting close to starting to plan Viva Baja #5. I will be contacting you and Mary Ann soon...

Mike Humfreville - 1-31-2005 at 12:28 AM

We will help with your efforts David. Respectful regards to LdB.

Cortezrock - 1-31-2005 at 09:45 AM

Lurked for many years,never posted.
So very happy for this board. Own many
tee-shirts and stickers.

Bajagato - 1-31-2005 at 11:22 AM

me and hubby Bajaddict were Amigos. Met all the good folk at I think it was BBB3 or 4, at Cielito Lindo.

Neal Johns - 1-31-2005 at 11:33 AM

I'm not sure.... but if looks count, then I'm the oldest Amigo! ....It was fun and so is this board.

Hi Whistler,

Paulina - 1-31-2005 at 12:29 PM

You have a pretty good memory there, mister! I had forgotten all about that until now.
Yes, we will be at the Fred Hall show this year. Missed the last one as we were living in Baja at the time. Not working the show this year, just pushing my way through the crowds like the rest of them! We will stop in for a visit. It's been too long.
Saludos!
Paulina<*)))><

bajalera - 1-31-2005 at 12:39 PM

I stumbled onto Amigos accidentally, and discovered that a lot of friendly, interesting people shared my interest in Baja California. Not long after I started lurking there the Amigos board tanked, but I was eventually lucky enough to find Nomads. Posts here seem to have more individuality than those on Fred's board, and fewer personal attacks than another Baja site I visited only once.

Add my thanks to all those others, Doug.

bajalera

[Edited on 1-31-2005 by bajalera]

Pops - 1-31-2005 at 01:28 PM

I also was an "Amigo". Started posting probably about the time David K. did. I don't remember all of my login(s) Mike Supino, DFW and ???? I believe that I may have been the one to talk them into getting XXXL T-shirts ( if you have a big tool, you need a big shed!). I enjoy this board immensely; thank you Doug!

Pops = Mike Supino?

David K - 1-31-2005 at 07:28 PM

Is that you Mike? Good to see you here... I bet you are getting ready for the San Felipe 250!

Here is Mike and his esposa at Viva Baja 4 (2/03)...

Viva Baja 5

BajaVida - 1-31-2005 at 08:43 PM

never having attended one, what is it?

I am worried if I go, my picture would show up here courtesy of David K

only two posters know who I really am

David K - 1-31-2005 at 09:10 PM

Hola Baja Vida,
One of the purposes of Viva Baja is so we can see the people, in person, we have been 'talking to' on the Internet. It also validates that we are not 'mental' for being so crazy about the Baja peninsula and all that is on it...

The photo you see above was taken by Bedman (who takes most of the Viva Baja photos)... IF you don't want your photo taken OR being posted on a web site or this board for others to enjoy... Just ask me... I honor all such requests. I met Packoderm at Camp Gecko 4 weeks ago, and he wanted to remain 'unseen'... no problema!

Viva Baja is the name I gave to the get-togethers I hosted following the San Clemete Pier meeting I showed some pics of recently.

Go to my web site and scroll down and you will see a section of links to my 4 Viva Baja parties... There you will see what we Amigos, Nomads, Authors and Baja Business owners look like. There are LOT'S of Photos in those sites!

Here is something very special to me... Choral Pepper asked me to read this to my guests at Viva Baja 2... She had hoped to attend, but the cancer was just too far along. Choral was the publisher of Desert Magazine in the 1960's and traveled on many of the Gardner Baja expeditions. She has authored over 20 published books. Her Baja book is a classic that is worth over 50 times its original price!

Anyway, here is what Choral had to say to my guests:
--------------------------------------------------------
Dear Baja Buffs,

Behind his back, I call David "the new Erle Stanley Gardner." His love for Baja shares the same dedicated clarity and eagerness to share it as did Uncle Erle's. I am fortunate enough to have been one of those recipients in both cases. Erle shared it with his books. David shares it with his Viva Baja adventures.

I have reached a stage in life in which there is more to look back upon than forward to. It is not depressing. What I have to look back upon was so filled with adventure, learning and beauty that nothing in my limited future could surpass it. There are very few places in the world that I did not explore during my exciting years as a nationally syndicated travel columnist after selling Desert Magazine, but of all the places in the world, Baja stands alone. Not just because it was more isolated in those days (places like Yap and Zamboanga were isolated, too), but because there is a spiritual quality about Baja that seeps into the very soul of those who respond to it. Everyone doesn't., but you who are here at David's Viva Baja event tonight know exactly what I mean.. We Baja buffs share a space foreign to superficial types unaware of the peninsulas unique nature, mysterious history, and tantalizing lore.

During my early days of exploring the desert, I found that the public can be induced to respect such backcountry areas as Baja -- not by rules and regimentation, but by education. And the education begins by making its history exciting and adventurous. When someone goes looking for a lost treasure, for instance, they are forced to thoroughly research the area. They aren't just spinning wheels over meaningless, empty land. With knowledge, comes respect. You all who participate in David's Viva Baja are doing your part to insure a secure future for Baja. I salute you and would love to be sharing this evening with you

Sometimes when you are out there trampling through dry, rock-studded arroyos or watching the moon rise above a cardon forest, send a thought to me. I'll be sharing it with you in spirit.

Choral Pepper

[Edited on 2-1-2005 by David K]

I was just joshin' about not getting my picture taken

BajaVida - 1-31-2005 at 09:26 PM

looks like fun

thebajarunner and I talked, but not too seriously, about going last time

maybe this year

BajaNomad - 2-1-2005 at 10:34 PM

Definitely an Amigo from early on.

From a Baja-Internet standpoint, Earle's weekly fishing reports were the most counted on updates from across the peninsula - and being on the Internet, they were the most timely as well.

http://bajanomad.com/bajanet/

...and thank you everyone for your kind words about - and participation at - bajanomad.com.

--
Doug Means

Baja Vida is really....

thebajarunner - 2-1-2005 at 11:44 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger.....
never thought you would find that out, did you??

Baja Arriba!!

lizard lips - 2-2-2005 at 10:21 AM

I was there also for a period of time. I remember once that I responded to a question regarding an Insurance matter and when I posted someone got really peeed off at what I had said and couldnt believe that I posted that response. At that time I told the board that I would not post again. I got a response from all of the old timers that they thought Lizards had a thick skin and not to listen to that person. It really made me feel great and I continued to post. Those were the good ol days. There was alot of fighting which I did not like but ESL keep us checking the board frequently with his takes on BCS and property issues. Does anyone know what happened to the guy who lived in Tecate who knew everything about everything? I cant remember his name but he was about the most knowledgeable person I have ever ran across.

David Eidel? nfm

Paulina - 2-2-2005 at 10:54 AM

M_Man - 2-2-2005 at 11:33 AM

I started posting in '97 or so. I sure wish the Fishing Report Archives had ended up on a mirror sight somewhere on the web. They were an invaluable resource for trip planning!

lizard lips - 2-2-2005 at 12:48 PM

Thats it! David Eidel. Whatever happened to him?

David K - 2-2-2005 at 06:30 PM

Here is David Eidell (on the right) with El Jefe at Viva Baja 2...

The most recent reports about Eidell I saw were posted on the Radio Free Mazatlan forum... some people are looking for him, and it wasn't nice.

I have been to his former trailer home in Tecate, CA a few times and he was our guest passenger on the Viva Baja Van tour of 7/01 http://vivabaja.com/van1 (several photos of Eidell there).

David Eidell's Article in People's Guide to Mexico

David K - 2-2-2005 at 08:58 PM

http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/chapts/notebks/archive/20...

Search peoplesguide.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baja Aficionados Cyber Gathering
by David Eidell

One of the more active bulletin boards on the M?xico web site circuit is Amigos de Baja. Amigos started out as a website devoted to fishing and traveling the Baja peninsula. Over the last seven years, however, the site has also attracted many loyal "Desert Rats", folks who don't necessarily fish but who love to explore the land and meet the hardy breed of Mexicans who call Baja California home.

The desert rats communicated with each other on the extremely popular Amigos "General Discussion Center" bulletin board. Before long friendships began to be formed. A planned casual meeting between two participants expanded in a blink of the eye into an invitation-only dinner engagement for forty people. This first "Viva Baja" get-together was held in San Clemente, California and was a wild success. Six months later another was planned. It included slide show presentations by author Graham MacIntosh. Graham actually walked the entire coastline of the seven hundred mile peninsula, then recorded his adventures in an exciting book, Into A Desert Place. Also present were noted Baja webmasters Fred Metcalf of Fred Metcalf's Baja Discussion Board , Hugh Kramer from Discover Baja and of course the webmasters trio from Amigos de Baja itself: Earle, Eric and Trish Robitaille.

The success of these first get-togethers led to the planning of a "Boojum Buddies Baja Bash" (the Boojum is a curious upside-down carrot like plant endemic to Baja California). By far the most ambitious of the cyber get-togethers, the "BBBB" was held in early July, 2001, at the Cielito Lindo Hotel in San Quintin, Baja California.

The Cielito Lindo Hotel turned out to be the perfect choice for such an event. The sprawling restaurant-bar and hotel complex was near enough to the beach (1/4 mile) and far enough away from town to offer BBBB participants a mini-vacation.

Seventy participants straggled in over the first day. They came by automobile, bus, taxi and airplane. Some had motor homes and others brought trailers and pickup campers. It was a perfect representation of the character of folks who call Baja and M?xico "A Second Home".

A special Saturday "comida" featured carnitas, oysters on the half shell, rice and beans and stacks of flour tortillas. Blenders whirred and beer bottle caps popped as the festivities roared and swayed. I was amazed at the level of congeniality and genuine warmth that was present. The average age of the participants was around fifty years and camaraderie was at a very high level. Stories were exchanged, spontaneous cheers and revelry ruled and the day passed all too quickly.

When it was suggested that a group photograph be taken, one thing led to another and a talented artist in the group made banners for Amigos de Baja's logo, and "Wherever You Go There You Are" for The People's Guide to M?xico. The BBBB'ers are a "Can Do!" group!

One of the principal architects of the Viva Baja and Baja Boojum Buddies get-together is a man by the name of David Kier. An individual whose spare time is utterly consumed with Baja California, David acted as "information central" for all of the Amigos. In addition, this human dynamo is working on a revision and update of a book on early Baja Spanish missions. David is also partners with another Amigo in "Viva Baja Tours". The Viva Baja tour vehicle is a brand new one-ton 15-passenger van with four-wheel-drive.

For most folks the three day long BBBB celebration would have been enough recreation to last through the summer. But David Kier wanted even more adventure. So he planned a jaunt to a really remote area of the peninsula, to look for a fabled "Lost Mission" site first reported by early Baja explorers Earle Stanley Gardner and Choral Pepper.

So... early Monday morning, five of us plus David's two young children waved sadly goodbye to fellow Desert Rats at the Cielito Lindo Hotel and struck off southward for new high adventures.

The Viva Baja tour van is a wonder in itself. Special dual-air conditioners kept the inside cool and dry even though we left the sea coast far behind and climbed onto the high desert plateau, baking under hot under the mid-summer sun.

As we motored down the Transpeninsular highway toward Los Angeles Bay, David explained that the lost mission wasn't really a mission at all but a trial experiment that had been built by the Spanish to check out available water supplies and crop lands, and even more importantly, to prepare heathen Indian souls for conversion to Christianity.

Hours later we found ourselves at an outdoor patio restaurant having supper. Even though the sun had gone down the temperature was still near a hundred degrees and a fierce wind was blowing. There was no doubt that mother nature was reminding us that Baja California can be less than hospitable in the summer. We repaired to a campsite at water's edge and after awhile our group fell sound asleep.

The next morning a local businessman, "Doc Abraham", happened to mention that he knew of an elderly campesino who was born and raised near the supposed "mission" ruins. We soon found ourselves at a remote rancho where we met Jesus "Chuy" Flores, skinny as a rail and dressed in his tattered, best Sunday Go To Meeting Khakis. Doc warned us that Chuy tended to say little if anything -- and what little he said would be in a mumble. I also knew from long experience that Mexico's campesinos tend to beat around the bushes two or three times before they get to the subject.

Leaving Chuy's rancho with another four-wheel drive vehicle following, we headed south on the trail to Bahia de Las Animas. Jesus promptly fell asleep under the cooling blast of the air conditioner, but David had a pretty good idea of how to get to the area in question. As we drove further and further off the beaten path, signs of civilization became fewer. Huge Palo Verde trees shaded sentinels of cardon cactus. Other cacti included Barrel, Pitahaya, Prickly Pear, Cholla, and old man (bearded) cactus. To our right the escarpment of the central Sierra de San Jose reared up, purple and imposing. Jesus stirred and suddenly became quite animated. "Unnuahh" he grunted, pointing a gnarled forefinger across the lush desert vegetation. The others immediately wanted to know what our guide was trying to say.

"Jesus, what are you pointing at?"
"Flores"
"Flowers?"
"Flores, the town!"
"What about Flores the town"
"That's where it is"

David explained that Flores is now a ghost town but back in Jesus's prime, it was a roaring silver and gold mining town. Cowboys and miners kept the cantinas filled and banditos kept the mine owners worried.

We soon came upon a fork in the trail and took the lesser of the two tracks, off to the west. Jesus kept pointing vaguely off to the right where there were no tracks and muttered vaguely, "Uuuy!"

"What's that Jesus? "
"My mula (mule)"
"What about your mule?"
"He was very stubborn."
"Oh yeah?"
"He pulled me through those cactus more than once."

Eventually we butted up against the mountains. Billowing white cumulus clouds were piling into serious cumulonimbus formations.

"Mrrhmmph"
"What's that Jesus?"
"Nubes"
"Clouds?"

He wagged a bony forefinger back and forth in warning. "Los arroyos son peligrosos".

"I think he's trying to say that there's going to be a thunderstorm. There's a real danger that the arroyos are going to become flash flooded.

The land and vegetation outside the van's tinted windows was utterly wild. With civilization far behind, the trees and cactus lived and died without the hand of man rearranging the look of the land. Giant mesquite trees grew in clusters, huge limbs of deadwood drooping onto the ground. Cardon cactus fell over to reveal the hollow lattice-like hardwood heart that is almost never chanced upon in civilized areas.

Jesus urged us to enter the mouth of a steep canyon and so we left the faint track and struck off cross country. The huge vehicle barely left a set of it's own tire tracks as David deftly steered around bushes and stately cactus. By trial and error we made our way deeper into the canyon and then suddenly came to a stop before a large boulder cluster.

While the six adults, two children and Jesus ambled up the canyon grasping cameras and water jugs, I decided to stay behind because of a recurring back problem. The passenger of the other vehicle was on crutches but John Perko and I were soon counting our good fortune. In front of us over the crest of the Sierras, the flaring clouds had taken on an ominous shape reminiscent of a cobra displaying its hood.

An hour passed. The clouds advanced eastward and were now overhead. A distant peal of thunder rumbled past and we started to talk about the eventuality of a flash flood coming down the vertical walled canyon. We decided on an escape route just as the first drops of rain spattered on the dusty windshield. Suddenly John cried, "There they are!" . Within minutes we'd backtracked the van to open terrain and relative safety. On the way home the thunderstorm inspired us with frenzied flashes of lightning and the booming cadence of pulsing thunder.

Did our friends find the Lost Mission? Well... what Jesus had thought to be the site actually turned out to be a "tinaja" (water seep) that did play an important part of the history of this area of Baja California. That's Baja for you... the lost mission is waiting for a future expedition to be rediscovered.

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by David K]

The Old site revisted...

Bedman - 2-3-2005 at 03:14 AM

Yeah, I was an Amigo too. It all seems so long ago (1998 for me) and yet, very fresh in my mind. Sure, there were some people that made a few ripples in the water. I remember how slow the site got when it had'nt been archived...took forever for the dial up connection back then.

ANYWAYS...here's a cool website that maintains archives of some pretty old websites. Yhis link will take you directly to the Bajanet.com pages.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bajanet.com

Bedman