BajaNomad

Jeeps past Mission Santa Maria and south of Molino de Lacy + MORE ADDED.

David K - 4-17-2016 at 06:12 PM

I was sent some pretty cool off roading photos today and told I could share them with you guys...

Start of Trail, Rancho Santa Ynez.

Nearing the Widowmaker, view about 2-3 miles west of the mission.

The Bog, but dry... less than a mile from the mission.

Just over 2 miles east of the mission, on the long-ago bulldozed roadbed that ends on the ridge, above the deep canyon (where road construction to Punta Final was abandoned by Fred Hampe in the late 1960s).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the old mine road between Molino de Lacy and Coco's Corner:

A BIG THANK YOU TO RICH T. !!! :bounce::bounce::cool:

[Edited on 4-24-2016 by David K]

chippy - 4-18-2016 at 06:54 AM

That looks like fun. Is that a trailer behind the back Jeep in the last photo:?:. I like the looks of of the bog when its dry.

AKgringo - 4-18-2016 at 07:23 AM

Thanks for posting those photos. I showed them to my Kia, and now it refuses to start! It is a fun little rig, great on beaches and such, but that rock pile is out of my comfort zone.

ehall - 4-18-2016 at 05:36 PM

I like the camo. Nice jeeps and great pictures. Odd that the bog is dry. DK that is kind of jeeping we do alot that's why it didn't bother me too much to climb up that cliff to get out of the wash on the Pole Line trip. It's all what you are used to doing.

mtgoat666 - 4-18-2016 at 07:45 PM

When a road has all but returned to natural state, what possesses people to pic the scab and make a new scar?

What ever happened to the tread lightly credo?

No wonder knuckle grabbers get a bad rap.

C205Driver - 4-18-2016 at 08:17 PM

. . . Thanks David for the post; hope the people with -attitude leave this alone. . .

David K - 4-19-2016 at 05:38 AM

Nothing any off roading in Baja does compares to the destruction done when highways are built in Baja... particularly Highway One in 1973 that clear cut a huge swath of cardon, cirios, and all other life far wider than needed for the width of the skinny highway across central Baja.

Making roads for 2WD cars is the real enemy of Nature in Baja! :light:

rich t - 4-19-2016 at 09:36 PM

Yes Chippy that is a trailer behind the Jeep, we have hauled trailers thru there many times.

BajaBreak - 4-19-2016 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
When a road has all but returned to natural state, what possesses people to pic the scab and make a new scar?

FAQ, a goat.

ehall - 4-20-2016 at 04:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Yes Chippy that is a trailer behind the Jeep, we have hauled trailers thru there many times.

Nice jeeps and great pictures. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site.

chippy - 4-20-2016 at 06:05 AM

Thanks rich t. That must be some trailer? Custom made? Do you have any photos/details you can give me?

BornFisher - 4-20-2016 at 07:34 AM

Stunning shots. Did anyone survive???

Barry A. - 4-20-2016 at 11:32 AM

Yes, it's absolutely appalling what those jeeps and knuckle-grabbers (?) are doing to those boulders----appalling!!!!

Jeezo, Goat, get a grip on what's important. You always seem to go too far in your eco-rants.

Ken Cooke - 4-20-2016 at 05:21 PM

That looks like a great adventure. Lots of tricky sidehill action to keep you alert in Baja!

David K - 4-20-2016 at 08:00 PM

Just so everyone knows, that You Tube link image on Ken's Nomad posts is part of a painting by Desert Magazine editor Choral Pepper (1960's), she called it her Baja Dream. In the close up is the wall of Mission San Fernando with graves in front, cardon cactus, and part of a rock art man. The painting was given to me by Choral's son and daughter after she passed away in 2002.

rich t - 4-20-2016 at 08:17 PM

Tried to post some trailer pic's, but not having any luck

David K - 4-20-2016 at 08:51 PM

Tried to post some trailer pic's, but not having any luck

The first post in the Baja Photo Gallery forum here explains how.
Until you get it figured, send them to me as you did with the others. Happy to help.

bajatrailrider - 4-23-2016 at 09:37 PM

The village idiot speaks again.Give it up Mt your posts show your how stupid you are:light:

David K - 4-23-2016 at 10:52 PM

rich t sent me six more photos that I will add here soon.
Thank you for your patience.

Bahía Guadalupe

David K - 4-24-2016 at 08:24 AM

David K - 4-24-2016 at 08:29 AM

David K - 4-24-2016 at 08:38 AM

David K - 4-24-2016 at 08:41 AM

healthdetective - 4-26-2016 at 06:11 AM

These photos made me smile. Thank you for sharing them rich t. Thanks for posting them David K.

Pappy Jon - 5-7-2016 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nothing any off roading in Baja does compares to the destruction done when highways are built in Baja... particularly Highway One in 1973 that clear cut a huge swath of cardon, cirios, and all other life far wider than needed for the width of the skinny highway across central Baja.

Making roads for 2WD cars is the real enemy of Nature in Baja! :light:

No kidding. Look at the work they are doing on Mex 5 between Coco's and Chapala. That area has been destroyed by road construction. Way more than it probably needs to be.

TMW - 5-7-2016 at 11:15 AM

Good stuff, interesting paint job on the Jeep with the boat on top.

rich t - 5-8-2016 at 03:22 PM

That is Camo Wrap on the Jeep with the boat on top.

ehall - 5-8-2016 at 04:05 PM

Looks good Rich. Thanks for sharing your trip.

wessongroup - 5-8-2016 at 04:19 PM

Thanks for the ride .... looks like fun to me

Udo - 5-8-2016 at 04:27 PM

WOW...
Thanks for sharing those, DK

Brings back memories of my old days with the Jeeps I owned and drove similar trails...but never with a trailer (that takes huevos).

Question for Rich T

Ken Cooke - 5-9-2016 at 09:17 AM

Is your camo Jeep a CJ-7 stretch or a CJ-8 bobbed??

rich t - 5-18-2016 at 07:27 AM

Ken,
The Jeep is a CJ-5 stretched 6 1/2" in the cab and 14" in the bed, front
axle is moved 3" forward, has a 109" wheelbase.

durrelllrobert - 5-18-2016 at 07:31 AM

That is Camo Wrap on the Jeep with the boat on top.

..and he's airing up in 3rd photo as David watches :lol:

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by durrelllrobert]

rich t - 5-18-2016 at 07:35 AM

That is me in the third photo airing up, have a york A/C compressor
converted to air compressor, front bumper is an air tank.

PaulW - 5-20-2016 at 06:26 AM

Rich, Not that you are on board Nomads how about a trip report for the "drive" up the mini summit?
Thanks, PaulW

David K - 5-20-2016 at 06:43 AM

Love the off road 4WD adventures! Viva Baja!!

rich t - 5-20-2016 at 08:50 AM

Paul, I have some good photos of the one of the trips up the mini,
will have to see if I can find them, Allan has a copy, he took all the
pictures, do you want to try it in the Bronco?

PaulW - 5-20-2016 at 07:40 PM

Bronco is gone now I will bring down the LJ. No I do not want to do the mini, but your trip should be of interest to all.

Ken Cooke - 5-20-2016 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Bronco is gone now I will bring down the LJ. No I do not want to do the mini, but your trip should be of interest to all.

I second that!:yes:

rich t - 5-20-2016 at 10:00 PM

Paul, i can't get this picture posting thing to work, can you post pic's,
if so will send pics to you of the mini summit, if not will try David K

David K - 5-20-2016 at 10:52 PM

Paul, i can't get this picture posting thing to work, can you post pic's,
if so will send pics to you of the mini summit, if not will try David K

Rich, I will always be happy to post photos for those who haven't followed the steps. However, if you want to try again before sending them to me...

HERE ARE THE STEPS:

There are many photo hosting sites, Photobucket.com is one used by many here, it is free for basic membership and very cheap for advanced.

1) Create an album for your trip or subject on Photobucket.

2) Click Upload (top center) to transfer photos from your PC folder to your Photobucket album.

3) Click on the gear symbol on the right corner of the box you see on the screen...

4) Select 800 (full size) or 640 (large size) for Nomad posting...

100x75 is the Avatar size, fyi.

5) Click SAVE!

6) Select photos you want to share on Nomad (or other forums) by pressing the Choose Photos & Videos button (or for the entire folder of photos, click Choose Folder).

Once done with uploading photos, make your post here on Baja Nomad and add photos using the IMG link from the choices of links for each photo in your album. Copy and paste that link in your Nomad thread, double spacing between links. Add a caption to the photo if desired... Click Preview Post to check your post... if okay, click Post Reply.

David K - 5-22-2016 at 10:23 AM

Rich, This is then final step:
Once done with uploading photos, make your post here on Baja Nomad and add photos using the IMG link from the choices of links for each photo in your album. Copy and paste that link in your Nomad thread, double spacing between links. Add a caption to the photo if desired... Click Preview Post to check your post... if okay, click Post Reply.

David K - 5-23-2016 at 08:47 AM

Under each photo on your Photobucket album (as well as next to the photo on the individual photo page) are links for different places to post your photos. For message boards and forums (like Nomad), use the link called "IMG"... Copy the link and paste it on your Nomad post. You can put several photos in a post. Add captions and double space between the photo links for a clean look.

Ken Cooke - 2-8-2017 at 08:21 PM

I have been sharing this link with some of my friends to show what hardcore Jeeps can do when in Baja!

Ken Cooke - 1-28-2018 at 08:37 PM

Okay, haters! Here's your photos!

bajatrailrider - 1-29-2018 at 08:50 AM

Thank you KEN great photos. There is no jeep haters just jeep wanna bees. Your jeep and Eds the real deal.

David K - 1-29-2018 at 10:51 AM

Are you talking about your Facebook page, Ken? There are no new photo links in your new (2018) post...

No hate. Afterall, I am a former Jeep owner and always a Jeep history lover... I just would probably never buy one again.

advrider - 1-29-2018 at 11:43 AM

Are you talking about your Facebook page, Ken? There are no new photo links in your new (2018) post...

No hate. Afterall, I am a former Jeep owner and always a Jeep history lover... I just would probably never buy one again.

I was going to point out the same thing,I don't see anything! I thought maybe there was a secret knock or handshake I didn't know about. I'm defiantly a jeep guy and really need to get my scrambler down to Baja!

David K - 1-29-2018 at 05:54 PM

Here is the video going down the La Turquesa Grade from the same guy who showed us how the Camino Real looks going down to Gonzaga from the mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58vTjay26E

This is also known as Kacey's XR Ride (Kacey Smith) and Coco's Shortcut.

Ken Cooke - 1-29-2018 at 06:29 PM

I was sent some pretty cool off roading photos today and told I could share them with you guys...

Start of Trail, Rancho Santa Ynez.

Nearing the Widowmaker, view about 2-3 miles west of the mission.

The Bog, but dry... less than a mile from the mission.

Just over 2 miles east of the mission, on the long-ago bulldozed roadbed that ends on the ridge, above the deep canyon (where road construction to Punta Final was abandoned by Fred Hampe in the late 1960s).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the old mine road between Molino de Lacy and Coco's Corner:

A BIG THANK YOU TO RICH T. !!! :bounce::bounce::cool:

bajatrailrider - 1-29-2018 at 07:34 PM

Here is the video going down the La Turquesa Grade from the same guy who showed us how the Camino Real looks going down to Gonzaga from the mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58vTjay26E

This is also known as Kacey's XR Ride (Kacey Smith) and Coco's Shortcut.
You where close on the name of that trail David. Its called XR trail or Freds Tractor trail. The guys look like they went down it the easy way. The first time me and Mike did it we went up it. At the bottom there where boulders all the way to the hill climb. I did it with a gal on the back crashed many times. Our first time up over 22 years ago. I'm hoping to go there again on bikes this Feb or March.:)

mcnut - 1-29-2018 at 08:46 PM

Looks to me like the photos are from 2 different routes.
The first batch would seem to document the route from Santa Ines to just east of Mission Santa Maria, perhaps to the end of the dozer cut.

+++++++++++++++++

The second set (separated from the first by plus marks) would seem to document Freds Tractor Trail (La Turquesa Grade).

Bruce

bajatrailrider - 1-30-2018 at 08:33 AM

Has anybody done it recently from Cocos up. Wondering if the bottom is still all round big lose rocks. All the way to start of hill climb the first 20ft of hill climb the hard part. There used to be a 2ft step with big rocks at bottom.

PaulW - 1-30-2018 at 11:15 AM

Been years since I drove it, But i did find the star on the new highway
Refer to this:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88271#pid1101...
Turk on new road 29° 34.356'N, 114° 22.029'W

David K - 1-30-2018 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mcnut  
Looks to me like the photos are from 2 different routes.
The first batch would seem to document the route from Santa Ines to just east of Mission Santa Maria, perhaps to the end of the dozer cut.

+++++++++++++++++

The second set (separated from the first by plus marks) would seem to document Freds Tractor Trail (La Turquesa Grade).

Bruce

That is exactly correct. Maybe Ken didn't include the captions from the original post. The end story is there is no Jeep driven to Gonzaga from the mission in or parallel to the Samta María Canyon.

David K - 1-30-2018 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Has anybody done it recently from Cocos up. Wondering if the bottom is still all round big lose rocks. All the way to start of hill climb the first 20ft of hill climb the hard part. There used to be a 2ft step with big rocks at bottom.

Yes, but not recently... about 10 years ago Roy "The squarecircle" did in his Land Rover LR-3... with help getting across the valley floor by TW and his brother (I think) clearing the way and scouting a route. This was a vehicle road, but flash floods in the valley bottom erased the road between the turquoise mine and the bottom of the grade.

I found the access road to the grade off Hwy. 1 on a trip in February 2007: http://vivabaja.com/207/

Ken Cooke and others began to seek a road from the Turquoise mine to the foot of the mountain. Steekers took a nice photo clearly showing the grade, from the turquoise mine.

Here again are Roy's photos:

The bottom was the hardest part, as it was very steep, as you can see...

The top

[Edited on 1-31-2018 by David K]

bajatrailrider - 1-31-2018 at 08:53 AM

Thank you David it still looks hard for a 4 wheeler. From when me and Mike went up on motos it looks well worn in.

David K - 1-31-2018 at 09:01 AM

Roy has the largest tires that would fit and the LR-3 has a traction control system similar to Toyota's A-TRAC which mimics lockers on the front and rear. Roy is also an experienced four-wheeler and doesn't scare easily!

XR Trail

rich t - 2-15-2018 at 02:27 PM

Bajatrailrider and Mcnut, We went up the Xr Trail in those photos, it was after the 2014 Hurricane and we actually had to get a half mile off the regular trail to get thru, it has been graded and the old route re-established since then, the photos you were refering to are from 2 different areas but on the same trip, the XR trail is doable from either direction, it looks like they ran a grader through the upper part heading south, alot of the rocks have been removed, we were thru there last month. We did it last year on the Motos, it was an ass kicker.

mcnut - 2-15-2018 at 09:07 PM

Thanks for the update Rich.

Bruce

Nextlevelbaja - 8-6-2018 at 03:41 PM

Looks like fun!

David K - 8-6-2018 at 05:27 PM

Baja is full of that kind of fun... man vs. the Baja Desert! It can be on foot, on bike, on mule, or on 4WD!

Ken Cooke - 8-6-2018 at 08:09 PM

We could run this trail in the afternoon and still have time that morning for trips on the bay, paddle boarding, kayaking, sleeping (me)..

David K - 8-7-2018 at 10:36 AM

The XR Trail (La Turquesa Grade) or the Pioneer Mine Trail? These threads are getting confusing without trail names included, lol!

Ken Cooke - 8-7-2018 at 04:16 PM

The XR Trail (La Turquesa Grade) or the Pioneer Mine Trail? These threads are getting confusing without trail names included, lol!

Pioneer Trail. Sorry for the confusion. Rich T has offered to lead the Pioneer Mine Trail. See you in February!

David K - 8-7-2018 at 04:52 PM

Do pay homage to the founder of Molino de Lacy. The mill originally was named Molino de San Francisquito after the bay and port where Punta Final village is now located on the Ensenada de San Francisquito (usually called 'Gonzaga Bay'). William Lacy died and was buried right there at the mill. Read more:
Part 1: http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/articles_stories/Articles2002/ki...
Part 2: http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/articles_stories/Articles2002/ki...

The northeast side of the mill hill.

From the southwest side of this hill, the gold mine road heads south towards the Pioneer Mine and on to Coco's Corner.

The Mill of San Francisquito and mine to the south are shown on this 1930 Baja map:

Here is the full Pioneer Mine road shown on the 1962 Gulick map:

Over on the right in the 1970 Cliff Cross Map (this guide and map is how we learned about La Turquesa Canyon):

PaulW - 8-9-2018 at 06:45 AM

For sure there are 3 similar trails nearby on this thread. Pretty mixed up situation on this thread.
1) Trail passes by the Turquiose mine. Cocos is near the bottom, east of the trail
2) Trail passes by the Pioneer mine and Molino de Lacy. Traveling north the start is east of Cocos.
3) Trail leads to the mission Santa Maria. Trail starts near Catavina/Santa Inez
And yes, the photos of Pioneer and the climb to the mission are very similar.
It is difficult to follow with all the newly concocted names.
When you post try to keep the reader aware what you are talking about.