BajaNomad

Asuncion Surf Club needs prizes for the Tournament

shari - 5-1-2016 at 08:57 AM

I have been asked by the Jurjos surf club to try to come up with some prizes for our annual surf competition as part of the Traditional Fiestas in mid August...this year the dates are Aug. 11-15. In the past, folks have graciously donated old and new wet suits, booties, leashes, wax, surf magazines, stickers and more stickers and even some boards.

The competition draws surfers from the peninsula and occasionally the odd gringo like Woody helps out by judging! It is a great family event with food, music and of course surf! There are many categories from kids, women, over 50 and body boarding too.

So if anyone has any stuff in their garage they can part with, or wants to help out a worthy team...please let me know and we can arrange transport for the items down here for August.

This team was originally formed to give the kids something fun and healthy to do with their spare time and has blossomed into an excellent team who travels to other tournaments and teaches the local youth to surf and about water safety. Members have gone on to participate in the lifeguard programs that have been offered here and I am proud of what they accomplish. Go Team!

Here are some photos of one of the tournaments here. I love the hand made trophies that one of the club's founders Jaime Morales usually makes for the event.

[Edited on 5-1-2016 by shari]

woody with a view - 5-1-2016 at 09:05 AM

It's always a good time hanging out with the Jurjos. I'll send some shirts to you if i can't make it.

Signed, Odd Gringo!

AKgringo - 5-1-2016 at 09:06 AM

So Woody is an 'odd' gringo? He is safe to be around, isn't he?

Good luck with the event!

shari - 5-1-2016 at 09:14 AM

depends on what your definition of SAFE is...hehehehehehe

Thanks Woody....any and all donations are super appreciated and I will offer incentives to those who kick in some prizes!