BajaNomad

Any advice on driving to La Paz from San Diego?

MOTRV8D - 5-2-2016 at 11:11 PM

Wife and I are heading to La Paz starting in a couple days, leaving 5/4, staying at a resort through the 12th, driving back 13th-16th. We found seemingly good places to stay as rest stops along the way.

Leaving San Diego and driving south, the first night we're staying in El Rosario at the Baja Cactus Hotel. Several hours driving south the day after that and we're at the Halfway Inn in Guerrero Negro. Several hours drive the next day and we stay at the Lareto Bay Golf Resort and Spa. They are basically just overnight stays, not doing any activities other than sightseeing at any of those stops... but they all have pretty damn good reviews on Trip Advisor. From there we drive to our final destination where we're staying at the Club El Moro in La Paz. Not the fanciest or finest resort in Mexico but does have reasonably good reviews as well on TripAdvisor.

Anyone stayed in La Paz? Recs? Know a great fishing boat captain? Restaurants? Looking for info on stuff to do, we're planning on at least a one-day fishing boat, local sight-seeing and one of the days there we'll likely head south on a 2-hour drive to Cabo where we'll take in more sights and eat at a local eatery. I love Mexican beer so if we run into a brewery we'll prolly try 'em.

Back in the early 2000s the wife and I would visit Mexico almost yearly, but stopped going because of the cartels, and well, you know someone might get the upper hand on you. The road is long and the desert is vast. Now, I'm hearing that it's very safe to drive in Mexico (as long as you stay on the main highway), at least a lot safer than like a few years ago. I guy I ran into at a local bar recently told me he heads down there a lot and there's no problem now, safer than driving in the US. :?: Oh rly?

Any tips and info are greatly appreciated. TIA... :)

[Edited on 5-3-2016 by MOTRV8D]

WestyWanderer - 5-3-2016 at 02:20 AM

We like Rancho Viejo, it's a restaurant in La Paz. They have one small one on the malecon and another just a block off the malecon more toward the west end. The aracharra steak is tasty.

woody with a view - 5-3-2016 at 05:13 AM

you can easily drive to G Negro in about 9 hours+. the next day you could be in La Paz saving a day each way.

On the road

bajaguy - 5-3-2016 at 06:22 AM

Just be mindful of the potholes south of Catavina and don't forget to fill the tank in El Rosario.....and as always, don't drive at night

David K - 5-3-2016 at 06:27 AM

Nice that you are not rushing!

BigBearRider - 5-3-2016 at 06:51 AM

To emphasize: the reason you need to fill up in El Rosario is that there's no gas station between there and Jesus Maria-more than 300 kms south. This goes both ways, so remember to fill up in Jesus Maria when heading north.

Good that you are taking your time.

Stop just north of Cataviņa to look at cave paintings.

You should also stop in San Ignacio and Mulege to see the missions and quaint little towns.

Don't drive at night. It's because of animals, the road and obstacles.

wilderone - 5-3-2016 at 08:16 AM

I wouldn't stay at the Loreto Bay golf resort. Stay in town, and spend some time sight-seeing there. Loreto Bay is not Baja.

TMW - 5-3-2016 at 08:50 AM

In Loreto I like to stay at the Oasis at the south end of the malecon and dine in the outdoor setting with a great ocean view. The La Mision hotel is probably the best in Loreto but it's a little higher in the price price range.

Stop in at Augie's bar and grill just up from the Oasis. Great fun and drinks.

Walk the Malecon and see the sights. Not as good as La Paz but still good.

TMW - 5-3-2016 at 08:57 AM

I would skip Guerrero Negro and stay at the La Huerta hotel in San Ignacio. It's directly past the mission. You can then walk back to the mission and town center for a tour. If you do stay there check out the bird cage.

mtgoat666 - 5-3-2016 at 09:09 AM

Best places to stay over nite are in san q, catavina, san ignacio. Skip staying in gn and el rosario.

BigBearRider - 5-3-2016 at 09:16 AM

Hotel Mision in Catavina is very nice, IMO.

Not a lot to see in El Rosario and Guerrero Negro (at least when the whales aren't around).

David K - 5-3-2016 at 12:58 PM

Stay at different places down and back and see what they are like fo yourself.

Baja Cactus in El Rosario then La Huerta in San Ignacio southbound. Try Jardines or Villa San Quintin northbound.

BajaBlanca - 5-3-2016 at 02:44 PM

all good suggestions BUT if you in fact decide on staying G Negro-stay at the first hotel on the right as you enter town.

TERRA SAL is the name of the hotel and it is new,r eally nice, very inexpensive. Hotel Terra Sal 011-52-615-157-0133.

and if you are interested in getting off the beaten track, we live in a small fishing village which is on the Pacific Ocean. La Bocana. We have a B&B (http://www.labocanahotel) and there are also some neat cabaņas on the beach, run by our local cooperative (http://www.bocanadventures.com). Be sure to stop by, whether u stay with us or not! activities include kayaking, fishing, biking, boat rides on the lagoon

From La Paz and over the mountains, we just went to LOS BARRILLES. We stayed at Martin Verdugo's sportfishing resort and all I can say is wowwwwwwwwwww

http://www.verdugosbeachresort.com

Have a safe and wonderful trip. We are headed north from La Paz tomorrow.

Terra Sal

bajaguy - 5-3-2016 at 04:22 PM

Second the recommendation from Blanca ^^^^^

weebray - 5-3-2016 at 05:03 PM

Too many great things to do here in La Paz. It is one of the greatest big little city's in the world. U2U us when you get here. We always have time for a newcomer.

Bajahowodd - 5-3-2016 at 05:31 PM

From years of experience driving down to La Paz and to Cabo, I would totally recommend Jardines in San Quintin as a first stop. Family run and a wonderful restaurant they run right next door. Beautiful grounds that may find you waking up to a cacophany of birds. Leave in the morning and gas up at the Pemex on the right next to the Los Pinos facility. With a full tank of gas, you can clearly make it down to Guerrero Negro, although I am not a big fan of that town. We often drive on through to Santa Rosalia.

In Santa Rosalia, the best place to stay is El Morro, And the best restaurant is El Muelle. A great menu that the hotel provides menu and it can be delivered to tour room. Everything from everything Mexican you can imaging to pizza.

In Loreto, our usual choice is Hacienda Suites. A family operated hotel that has NOB standards and gated parking in the pack. A brief walk next door takes you to Domingo's Place which is a great restaurant with a vast menu.

Have a great trip.

StuckSucks - 5-3-2016 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In Loreto I like to stay at the Oasis at the south end of the malecon and dine in the outdoor setting with a great ocean view. The La Mision hotel is probably the best in Loreto but it's a little higher in the price price range.

YES! DO NOT stay at the gringo-sanitized golf course called Nopolo. In town is the ONLY way to go. The Oasis and Mission are each awesome in their own way.

And the margies in the bar at the Oasis are the best on the planet.

IN LORETO... another option!

David K - 5-3-2016 at 06:02 PM

The Coco Cabanas: 1 block west of the Malecon, north end.

http://cococabanasloreto.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150772-d291480-Rev...

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by David K]

alacran - 5-3-2016 at 06:29 PM

My oly advice is do not drink on the road, and slow down, very slow..

wilderone - 5-3-2016 at 06:35 PM

Ha! I think I sat right at that spot at the bar at Oasis!

rhintransit - 5-3-2016 at 07:35 PM

nothing wrong with the Loreto Bay Resort, NOR staying in Loreto. two different experiences.

MOTRV8D - 5-3-2016 at 11:16 PM

Wow, I went away for a while, busy getting ready for the trip and this thread really delivered. I am so grateful to hear all the suggestions, esp the fuel thing and the hotels and eateries. :) Thanks so much!

I think the wife prepaid the hotel reservations so I'm not sure if we can switch. I am truly blessed by having a wife who is an ace at planning trips. We are really looking forward to it and have to report that my wife's mom and her husband wanted to go so we're taking them along. She's 85, he's 84! We just hope all the driving isn't too grueling for them.

Well we blast off manana so I'll try to post updates as we go... One thing I still would like to know is the best fishing boat or at least reasonably priced 1-day trip in La Paz. I'd like to take the FIL out fishing but he is aging and a bit fragile for the open sea if it's choppy at all.
I just don't know if it's a good idea for him to go out on the ocean. :?:

woody with a view - 5-4-2016 at 07:42 AM

It's a great idea! When will you have another chance?

MOTRV8D - 5-4-2016 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

You're right, we may never get the chance again... But he is old, fragile and somewhat shaky. If he falls and say, breaks his hip that would not be good. :no:

Lee - 5-4-2016 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

x2 for Cocos. Lay by the pool, sip tequila, surf the net, walk to Cafe Ole.

Skip Loreto Bay, stay at Cocos or in town. Skip Cowboys in GN, you'll be happier at Terrasal and they take reservations.

StuckSucks - 5-4-2016 at 08:55 AM

If you drive at night, you risk hitting a horse.

woody with a view - 5-4-2016 at 10:41 AM

He can stay seated and you can hand off the rod to him when a monster bites!

Quote: Originally posted by MOTRV8D  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

You're right, we may never get the chance again... But he is old, fragile and somewhat shaky. If he falls and say, breaks his hip that would not be good. :no:

rhintransit - 5-4-2016 at 10:53 AM

don't personally know any captains in La Paz, perhaps contact TailHunters (a restaurant but they can help I bet) for recommendations.
a good captain is not going to take you out if the conditions are not right. he will know conditions, especially wind conditions, which can kick up generally mid to later day. let him know your concerns. boating in the La Paz (and Loreto area where I live) is not to be missed if at all possible. gorgeous scenery, beaches, wild life. you would all have a blast.
Sea of Cortez can be very do-able for you, on the proper weather day. I'd avoid the Pacific side.
no one wants a major accident or injury out of country. hope you've considered medical evacuation insurance, especially with your parents along.

MOTRV8D - 5-4-2016 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

x2 for Cocos. Lay by the pool, sip tequila, surf the net, walk to Cafe Ole.

Skip Loreto Bay, stay at Cocos or in town. Skip Cowboys in GN, you'll be happier at Terrasal and they take reservations.

We are seriously looking at staying at Cocos on the way back. Thanks for the rec for this place!

MOTRV8D - 5-4-2016 at 11:35 AM

BTW is there a way to subscribe to my thread so I can get email notifications whenever there is a reply? This feature is available in so many other forums, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If I click the Receive e-mail on reply? button will that do it for the whole thread or just for that one reply?

MOTRV8D - 5-4-2016 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
don't personally know any captains in La Paz, perhaps contact TailHunters (a restaurant but they can help I bet) for recommendations.
a good captain is not going to take you out if the conditions are not right. he will know conditions, especially wind conditions, which can kick up generally mid to later day. let him know your concerns. boating in the La Paz (and Loreto area where I live) is not to be missed if at all possible. gorgeous scenery, beaches, wild life. you would all have a blast.
Sea of Cortez can be very do-able for you, on the proper weather day. I'd avoid the Pacific side.
no one wants a major accident or injury out of country. hope you've considered medical evacuation insurance, especially with your parents along.

Evac insurance... never thought of that. Where would I look for that? We'll try to take at least one boat for sightseeing, not sure about taking the FIL out fishing yet. He really is quite frail.

MOTRV8D - 5-4-2016 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

There is no way we are driving at night! Heard too many horror stories. We are, however, taking a very nice, low-mileage 2013 Honda Crosstour on the trip, it drives very nicely (think an ugly body wrapped around a Honda Accord) and is perched up a bit higher.

rhintransit - 5-4-2016 at 11:51 AM

that should do it for the whole thread. hit subscribe at the top middle of the page

as to medical evacuation insurance, many companies include it when you sign up for trip insurance. Skymed, there are others, is one company that covers Mexico. don't know whether it is for short trips, also, many folks here have annual policies. google is your friend if no one else has specific info.

BTW is there a way to subscribe to my thread so I can get email notifications whenever there is a reply? This feature is available in so many other forums, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If I click the Receive e-mail on reply? button will that do it for the whole thread or just for that one reply?

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by rhintransit]

Bajahowodd - 5-4-2016 at 04:51 PM

Jonathan Roldan or his wife will gladly help you out at Tailhunters, Great folks and great restaurant.

MOTRV8D - 5-4-2016 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Jonathan Roldan or his wife will gladly help you out at Tailhunters, Great folks and great restaurant.

THANK YOU! We are off to the Baja! I will try to add some updates every chance I get. Prolluy won't be able to post any pics though until we get back.

amigobaja - 5-4-2016 at 11:47 PM

since you asked for advise my two cents is to drive south. thats as much planning as i ever do and all my best and most memorable trips are when i have no plans.
last year rode to Panama and back without a plan, gps or a map and i could write a book about the experiences.

MOTRV8D - 5-5-2016 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
since you asked for advise my two cents is to drive south. thats as much planning as i ever do and all my best and most memorable trips are when i have no plans.
last year rode to Panama and back without a plan, gps or a map and i could write a book about the experiences.

And here I am thinking I'm Meriwether Lewis just driving to La Paz. Geeze you are an adventurer! You're a lot braver soul than I am. Glad u made it back ok in one piece.

We made it to our hotel in Ensenada around 8:30p last night. Had an absolute feast at the El Rey Sol restaurant here in town. The Hotel Cortez is nothing fancy but ok.

We did encounter one difficulty, the signs as you cross the border at TJ are anything but clear.. We got lost and drove east for quite a while before the wife figured out how to get her GPS working on the iPhone. The people in charge of signage at the border crossing should be shot. :mad:

Okay so at least we are on 1 now, no more misdirection and we are on to El Rosario!

MOTRV8D - 5-5-2016 at 07:56 AM

El Rey Sol seafood platter. A fancy French joint in the Baja, who knew! Bon appetit!

image.jpeg - 171kB

BajaBreak - 5-5-2016 at 10:19 AM

We did encounter one difficulty, the signs as you cross the border at TJ are anything but clear.. We got lost and drove east for quite a while before the wife figured out how to get her GPS working on the iPhone. The people in charge of signage at the border crossing should be shot. :mad:

Okay so at least we are on 1 now, no more misdirection and we are on to El Rosario!

The last couple months the overpass to the right that crosses the river, right after customs, has been closed off. Typically you stay right after customs and follow the signs to the toll road, but now you get sent through a tour of TJ or towards Tecate. You pretty much have to make a few right turns onto an overpass that comes from the South/East, after driving a few blocks through Tijuana (for any future travelers going this way).

On the bright side, it should be hard to get lost from now on, but maybe in La Paz! If you do head out on a boat, maybe try bringing some padding so the FIL can recline or lay down, in case it gets rough, if he's got a dodgy back. I had some back issues a while ago and boating in rough seas beat me up pretty bad. Going early is typically much calmer.

Have a great trip, and drive safe. ;)

motoged - 5-5-2016 at 11:21 AM

SS,
Ahhhh, you could probably just buff that out... :coolup:

Yer mamma told you to be home by dark.

chuckie - 5-5-2016 at 11:23 AM

Geezo! I hope we get some more pics of that truck...

Bajahowodd - 5-5-2016 at 04:45 PM

El Rey Sol seafood platter. A fancy French joint in the Baja, who knew! Bon appetit!

My friend Jean Luc Bitterlin runs an amazing restaurant. Had many amazing meals there while enjoying the piano player.

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by Bajahowodd]

Alm - 5-5-2016 at 06:05 PM

They are on the road now, but the first thought that crossed my mind was "Why driving, in the first place". 6 days in La Paz hotel and 5-6 days on the road.

Unless you travel with a big family or HAVE to be in several towns along the way, flying to LAP is faster and cheaper. El Rosario is a faceless dusty town. GN isn't any different (I'm not talking lagunas, whale season is probably over). Though sometimes people are looking for an "adventure", and driving that much in such a short time on this kind of road fits their idea of adventure, who knows... I'm probably getting old :)

willardguy - 5-5-2016 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
They are on the road now, but the first thought that crossed my mind was "Why driving, in the first place". 6 days in La Paz hotel and 5-6 days on the road.

Unless you travel with a big family or HAVE to be in several towns along the way, flying to LAP is faster and cheaper. El Rosario is a faceless dusty town. GN isn't any different (I'm not talking lagunas, whale season is probably over). Though sometimes people are looking for an "adventure", and driving that much in such a short time on this kind of road fits their idea of adventure, who knows... I'm probably getting old :)

and just when I think I've heard it all.......:rolleyes:

Alm - 5-5-2016 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

It's never late to learn, amigo :)

With what limited time they have, the only thing to "explore" along the way will be hotels and restaurants.

For the first 300 miles it's a continuous border town landscape, some farms (close your windows). Then it becomes more interesting, nice views at times, periods of white-knuckle driving and hours of boredom in between. As long as they don't push it too hard, trying to make it before the dark...

[Edited on 5-6-2016 by Alm]

David K - 5-5-2016 at 07:50 PM

There is so many sites in and around El Rosario, it is too bad they aren't better known. People are nice and places to stay are many.

willardguy - 5-5-2016 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

It's never late to learn, amigo :)

With what limited time they have, the only thing to "explore" along the way will be hotels and restaurants.

For the first 300 miles it's a continuous border town landscape, some farms (close your windows). Then it becomes more interesting, nice views at times, periods of white-knuckle driving and hours of boredom in between. As long as they don't push it too hard, trying to make it before the dark...

[Edited on 5-6-2016 by Alm]

well we certainly wouldn't want to either bore or scare Alm.....yeah maybe you'd better stick to the friendly skies.........

MOTRV8D - 5-5-2016 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  

The last couple months the overpass to the right that crosses the river, right after customs, has been closed off. Typically you stay right after customs and follow the signs to the toll road, but now you get sent through a tour of TJ or towards Tecate. You pretty much have to make a few right turns onto an overpass that comes from the South/East, after driving a few blocks through Tijuana (for any future travelers going this way).

On the bright side, it should be hard to get lost from now on, but maybe in La Paz! If you do head out on a boat, maybe try bringing some padding so the FIL can recline or lay down, in case it gets rough, if he's got a dodgy back. I had some back issues a while ago and boating in rough seas beat me up pretty bad. Going early is typically much calmer.

Thanks for the info. You're very helpful. That "tour through TJ" is what really threw us for a loop. Felt like driving through an obstacle course at the circus or something. Almost hit two trucks that broke down on the shoulder and there really is no sign that says south or even Rosarito or Ensenada. But we're here in El Rosario now and the Baja Cactus motel is actually quite nice, much better than expected.

MOTRV8D - 5-5-2016 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  

My dad told me that the early bird gets the worm but the early worm gets the fish. Going out early seems the the thing to do...

[Edited on 5-6-2016 by MOTRV8D]

bajadogs - 5-5-2016 at 11:10 PM

If you drive at night assuming there are no hazards on the road this will happen. Congratulations, you killed a horse.:no:

edit - trying to be nice. grrrrr

[Edited on 5-6-2016 by bajadogs]

Kgryfon - 5-8-2016 at 02:41 PM

I've gone out fishing in La Paz with Captain Juan Romero a couple of times. It's been a few years, but he's been really great. Last number I have for him is 011 52 1 612 140 0805. We caught our own bait fish (netted by Juan) before heading out to fish, which was very fun and saved money at the same time. Caught tons of fish!