BajaNomad

Orcas in San Carlos, Sonora

Hook - 5-9-2016 at 07:26 AM

A family pod of 15-20 orcas has been hanging out very close to shore in San Carlos. We hung out with them near sunset last night and got some OK pics (light wasnt very good), but one of the charter fishing operations had some fun with them a few days back. Their video is better than anything we got. U/W GoPro helps............

https://youtu.be/IjnUcJ_8DTQ

Bajazly - 5-9-2016 at 08:50 AM

Pretty freaking cool, esp the underwater shots.

Bajahowodd - 5-10-2016 at 04:51 PM

This does remind me that every time I see a Seaworld commercial, they constantly refer to these creatures as whales. I don't know just who decided to name this specie killer whales, but as many must know, they are not whales. They are of the dolphin family and are carnivores, unlike whales.

DanO - 5-10-2016 at 05:13 PM

Great to see them in the wild instead of swimming around in a tank.

healthdetective - 5-10-2016 at 05:47 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing

Elona - 5-11-2016 at 08:35 AM

:o That's not really good for the gray whales.

mtgoat666 - 5-11-2016 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
This does remind me that every time I see a Seaworld commercial, they constantly refer to these creatures as whales. I don't know just who decided to name this specie killer whales, but as many must know, they are not whales. They are of the dolphin family and are carnivores, unlike whales.

Ya, but "whales" in common usage applies to all the big "fish" that breath air. :lol:
Only geeks obsess on whether killer whales are whales or porpoises (i prefer to call them killer whales instead of the pc orca).

Bajahowodd - 5-14-2016 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Elona  
:o That's not really good for the gray whales.

The fact is that lagoons like Ojo de Liebre host the mating and birthing of grey whales is because it is a shallow lagoon that does not allow the orcas to do their nasty deed. Orcas typical strike is by diving deep and building speed to allow them to destroy their intended target.

One of the sad things that may happen, is that some of the beautiful whale calves that you may pet in Ojo de Liebre, may quickly fall prey to the orcas, once they exit the lagoon for their long trip North.

Nature, I guess.

Hook - 5-14-2016 at 08:41 PM

Orcas seem to have cleared out, now.

Finbacks are EVERYWHERE, with their young. They are feeding on clouds of plankton and krill in as shallow as 50 feet of water.