BajaNomad

Any updates Valley Chico?

kosoh - 5-22-2016 at 12:10 PM

Any update on route running southbound from Mex 3 out of San Felipe via Villa Sol- Algodon - Aqua Caliente Springs and Valle Chico whether way out via Matomi Wash route back onto Highway 5 is any better than previous reports or is it really chewed up.

Have the hand drawn map from 2004 that David K did (thanks!).

David K - 5-22-2016 at 04:55 PM

The 2016 San Felipe 250 used Matomi from Valle Chico to Hwy. 5, so the clog is opened once again. Nomad Pappy Jon just camped at Matomi ranch also. Please post a trip report when you get back! Thanks.

[Edited on 5-22-2016 by David K]

PaulW - 5-23-2016 at 07:45 AM

Correct, since the recent race you can probably expect much easier travel since many years previous. Regardless expect to find deep sand and plenty of rocks to drive around or over.
Easy travel thru Matomi is a function of your vehicle design and your experience.
So far since the SF 16 250 there have not been any flooding reports. A good thing.
Enjoy your trip and please give us feedback
Paul

David K - 5-23-2016 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kosoh  

Have the hand drawn map from 2004 that David K did (thanks!).

Here also is one from 1988:

and from 1980:

David K - 5-23-2016 at 08:52 AM

Oh, for fun... here is how the area was mapped in the early 1960s by Howard Gulick, Lower California Guidebook:

Is Zoo Road along the fence line a better option?

kosoh - 5-23-2016 at 09:29 AM

David K - 5-23-2016 at 10:17 AM

Option for what?
Zoo road was the cut off near Pete's Camp and the San Felipe Zoo curio shop (Campo Pai-Pai) over to the original Ensenada-San Felipe road (the 5.6 mile long road on one of my maps). That has been replaced by a newer cut across at the storage facility a bit south on Hwy. 5.

kosoh - 5-23-2016 at 12:26 PM

Apologies - my confusion.

Option I was asking about having just seen the latest video on getting through Matomi wash, was to visit Matomi then backtrack on the Valle Chico road and to turn East off the Valle Chico road at the Parral road junction and then onto the El Parral road then connect to the old main road by the Sulphur mine and then rejoin Highway 5.

Is this a better option than potentially fighting through the Matomi route or are the road conditions similar?

David K - 5-23-2016 at 03:44 PM

Cañada el Parral (Azufre Wash) between the sulfur mine and Valle Chico is a personal favorite only because I tried so hard (and succeeded) in re-discovering it way back in 1978. It is not a quick road, but scenic as it winds through the coastal mountain in a sand bottom pass. Here are some photos using the Parral/Azufre road in
2004: http://www.vivabaja.com/204/page7.html
2006: http://vivabaja.com/106/page2.html

Arroyo Matomí will be quicker if your objective is to go south to Puertecitos or beyond. Valle Chico East Road is super fast if you are returning to San Felipe. It is all about what you want. You have 3 or 4 or more options.