BajaNomad

Hwy 5 update 5/21/16

mooose29 - 5-23-2016 at 10:54 AM

So drove down to Punta Chivato last week and back up via Hwy 5. The Potholes between Puertocitto's and San Felipe seem to be much better. You can see many of them have been patched up recently but we all know that is just a temporary solution until the patching wears out but for now it is pretty good, still watch out for the Vado's they sneak up on you.

The 23 miles of dirt south of Gonzaga I thought was in the best shape I have seen in quite a while. I drive a 4wd suburban but I saw a couple of cars doing it very slowly. We had a group of jeeps (10+) "jeepers creepers" club go by us but other than that only say 4-5 other cars and trucks. There were some very nice jeeps in that group.

took us about 45 minutes each way. you could tell they have hit the dirt parts with a grader and water truck recently so we were able to drive at a decent pace without ever bottoming out the shocks or shaking the car apart. The rocky parts were still rocky and were obviously slower going.

The road goes back and forth on the new road and even in a few places they had us up on the new road bed.

There is a lot of construction going on right now. Lots of bridges and culverts being built and lot of big earth moving equipment moving around on the road so heads up. We even heard some blasting going on. We had a dump truck easily twice as tall and big as our suburban that we pulled over for as he was coming down hill on a very narrow part of the road.

All in all the road is coming along. I'm still not sure I see a completion date anytime soon but they look to be getting all the road bed and infrastructure in place before any paving goes on. I still saw a lot of areas were they were still blasting and carving through hillsides. They could certainly be done sometime next year if they pick up the pace.

El Jefe - 5-23-2016 at 12:27 PM

Great report. Thanks. Sure is nice to go that way. Will be interesting to see just how much traffic shifts to that side when the road is completed.

Bob53 - 5-23-2016 at 01:05 PM

I'll be driving that way on Thursday. Thanks for the update!

fish101 - 5-23-2016 at 01:58 PM

Great report, thanks I needed it, as I was planning on going that way myself this week. I'm driving a 38ft motorhome, pulling a Liberty behind me and was told I should not have a problem. Hope this is true.

Bob53 - 5-23-2016 at 04:13 PM

Just take it slow.

mojo_norte - 5-23-2016 at 07:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fish101  
Great report, thanks I needed it, as I was planning on going that way myself this week. I'm driving a 38ft motorhome, pulling a Liberty behind me and was told I should not have a problem. Hope this is true.

Hmm - good luck

AKgringo - 5-23-2016 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  

Hmm - good luck

If you have a second driver, I would un-hook the liberty, and send the other driver ahead as a scout on the dirt section! It would be fun for the jeep driver, and give the big rig a bit more maneuverability if there happens to be an obstacle..

[Edited on 5-24-2016 by AKgringo]

rts551 - 5-24-2016 at 04:17 PM

I went through on the 17th. Quiet a bit of traffic ranging from semi's to cars to motorcycles. New roadbed (at the intersection of 1) was nice. Some parts were very dusty and in need of a water truck...Some pickups traveling very fast kicking up dirt, dust, and rocks. Overall, best I have ever seen it...thus the traffic I guess.

Watch for the construction traffic!

StuckSucks - 5-24-2016 at 04:19 PM

Repost: Highway 5 at Highway 1 a few weeks ago

Howard - 5-24-2016 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  

Hmm - good luck

If you have a second driver, I would un-hook the liberty, and send the other driver ahead as a scout on the dirt section! It would be fun for the jeep driver, and give the big rig a bit more maneuverability if there happens to be an obstacle..

[Edited on 5-24-2016 by AKgringo]

I had a good laugh about "It would be fun for the Jeep driver." We all have different levels of what we call fun but going down Highway 5 has to be close to the bottom of my list for fun things to do! :biggrin:
If that is fun, what is on your not so much fun list?:lol:

[Edited on 5-25-2016 by Howard]

Not so fun list

AKgringo - 5-24-2016 at 06:20 PM

On that particular trip (late 2014) the 30 miles or so of washboard between Bahia Asuncion and Abreojos was right at the bottom.

I also drove quite a few roads that were worse than the dirt section of 5, but my point was, I would rather be a driver than a passenger no matter what the vehicle is!

Howard - 5-24-2016 at 06:28 PM

Agreed about driving VS passenger. I also have been on worse roads than 5 but 5 has an option, #1 and the other rotten roads, there was no option. Besides, on bad roads the other side always looks smoother, doesn't it?

AKgringo - 5-24-2016 at 06:39 PM

I intentionally drive bad roads because I am looking for the 'Good people' that they bring. It has to be true, because I read it here!

More often than not, I find myself alone in the middle of nowhere thinking"Car don't fail me now!". It is an adventure though!

fish101 - 5-27-2016 at 02:59 PM

Highway 5 was a "piece of cake"..so to speak!!!..That photo that was posted of the new section from Highway 1, didn't last very long..Maybe a mile at the most and then back to the old road (wash board). But, with the 38ft diesel pusher towing the Liberty JEEP, it wasn't bad at 10mph. I had spoken with several of the highway workers and they didn't think I would have a problem. 1 1/2 hours fm 1 to Coco's corner (although the last mile before Coco's was probably the worse section. I brought Coco some rice, beans and cat food, so he was happy. Another 1 1/2 hours fm Coco's to the pavement at 10mph and it was over. Would I do it again?? You betcha.. saved me nearly 200 miles going to Yuma yesterday.. Howard.. You have got to toughen up down here!!!

David K - 5-27-2016 at 04:02 PM

Highway 5 was a "piece of cake"..so to speak!!!..That photo that was posted of the new section from Highway 1, didn't last very long..Maybe a mile at the most and then back to the old road (wash board). But, with the 38ft diesel pusher towing the Liberty JEEP, it wasn't bad at 10mph. I had spoken with several of the highway workers and they didn't think I would have a problem. 1 1/2 hours fm 1 to Coco's corner (although the last mile before Coco's was probably the worse section. I brought Coco some rice, beans and cat food, so he was happy. Another 1 1/2 hours fm Coco's to the pavement at 10mph and it was over. Would I do it again?? You betcha.. saved me nearly 200 miles going to Yuma yesterday.. Howard.. You have got to toughen up down here!!!

Glad it worked out well for you!

kristinalaska - 6-17-2016 at 10:45 PM

I drove Highway 5 going south in January 2015, also driving a motor home and towing a car. It was pretty terrible then, nice that it's much improved now and getting even better. I was relieved to find all ten tires still had air when I finally got to Hwy 1! The motor home was fine but the towed Acura didn't have much clearance, so slow creeping around rocks and having to move some of the biggest ones. No road equipment working then at all, and almost no other vehicles.

Still, it'll be sad when it's all a paved highway. End of an era.

David K - 6-18-2016 at 07:08 AM

Having traveled Hwy. 5 (or the Gulf Route [south of San Felipe] before modern roads) since 1965, it is indeed the end of an era.

However, unlike the effort and speed that was put into building 800 miles of Hwy. 1 between 1967 and 1973 with over 100 miles a year completed, the 130 miles to finish Hwy. 5 starting in 1982 has been ridiculously long in coming.

Even if you don't include the grading and paving to Puertecitos, the highway south of there began in 2007, 9 years ago with less than 7 miles completed each year.

Soon Coco's Corner will be only 3 1/2 miles off a paved highway, instead of on an adventure drive of sorts where only off road vehicles made it fast and safe to Gonzaga Bay from Hwy. 1.

El Jefe - 6-18-2016 at 08:41 AM

I drove this stretch yesterday northbound. The road condition remains as state above. I'm used to sandier, softer dirt roads so the rocky parts seem a little jarring. But easily passable and not a problem if your tires are in good shape.

There was very little construction going on. Lots of equipment sitting idle. We stopped and talked with Coco and found out why. Apparently the builders have been dozing lots of cardons and cirios which they are supposed to save and transplant. So PROFEPA came in and stopped work on the project. They actually put locks on some of the equipment. There will be big fines to pay. Work stopped for two months. All this according to Coco. Just reporting what he told us.

He also gave his opinion that it would be 3 to 5 years before the road was done. I sure hope they can do better than that.

We went up through Mexicali instead of taking 2 over to Tecate this time. I don't know my way around Mexicali very well and it was kind of busy getting through town, exactly what I wanted to avoid by taking the eastern route. So, won't go that way again. I'll stick to Tecate crossing. Border wait was 55 minutes around 5 PM Friday.

The drive up was uneventful. Stopped for the night at La Huerta Hotel in San Ignacio. Nice place.

I must be out of my mind to leave pumping overhead surf. At least we got a good one in at dawn patrol the day of our departure.:?::?:

David K - 6-18-2016 at 08:49 AM

Thanks, Tom!
3 to 5 years, huh? LOL But but some Nomads say it will be done this year!? LOL
The highway will be done maņana!
Maņana does not mean tomorrow, it means simply just not today!

rts551 - 6-18-2016 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
I drove this stretch yesterday northbound. The road condition remains as state above. I'm used to sandier, softer dirt roads so the rocky parts seem a little jarring. But easily passable and not a problem if your tires are in good shape.

There was very little construction going on. Lots of equipment sitting idle. We stopped and talked with Coco and found out why. Apparently the builders have been dozing lots of cardons and cirios which they are supposed to save and transplant. So PROFEPA came in and stopped work on the project. They actually put locks on some of the equipment. There will be big fines to pay. Work stopped for two months. All this according to Coco. Just reporting what he told us.

He also gave his opinion that it would be 3 to 5 years before the road was done. I sure hope they can do better than that.

We went up through Mexicali instead of taking 2 over to Tecate this time. I don't know my way around Mexicali very well and it was kind of busy getting through town, exactly what I wanted to avoid by taking the eastern route. So, won't go that way again. I'll stick to Tecate crossing. Border wait was 55 minutes around 5 PM Friday.

The drive up was uneventful. Stopped for the night at La Huerta Hotel in San Ignacio. Nice place.

I must be out of my mind to leave pumping overhead surf. At least we got a good one in at dawn patrol the day of our departure.:?::?:

Well that sucks. Looked like most of the grading was done 3 weeks ago and they were working hard. Why now? Duh...$$$$$$$.

Transplant Cardons and Ciros?

AKgringo - 6-18-2016 at 09:21 AM

Sounds like a good idea, but I can't imagine it having any lasting success. Moving mature plants around in the dessert would require a great deal of skill, perfect timing, and a commitment to a long period of care. Does anyone see that happening?

kristinalaska - 6-18-2016 at 09:26 AM

I didn't know they would bypass Coco's entirely! Then it will still be an adventure drive to go that way, suppose he'll stay there? I guess that probably was the worst part of the roadbed.

willardguy - 6-18-2016 at 09:35 AM

I wonder if the work slow down doesn't have more to do with the Copa America and less to do with cactus! ;)

David K - 6-18-2016 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kristinalaska  
I didn't know they would bypass Coco's entirely! Then it will still be an adventure drive to go that way, suppose he'll stay there? I guess that probably was the worst part of the roadbed.

That bypass cuts a couple of miles of the distance and gives Coco peace instead of noisy trucks all night long. He welcomes the bypass missing his beer can ranch.

Welcome kristinalaska!

AKgringo - 6-18-2016 at 07:57 PM

I just noticed that you are new to this forum, and it would be bad manners not to extend a welcome, and encourage you to participate!

I also noticed that we share a home state, since you probably live within eight hundred miles of my place in Anchorage, 'Howdy Neighbor!'

Do you do the long drive from here, or fly south and start your drive from Outside?

Edit; Got your private message, thanks!

[Edited on 6-19-2016 by AKgringo]

fish101 - 7-4-2016 at 10:59 AM

I was hoping that more pavement would be finished on the north end (heading towards Coco's), when I went thru the last of May this year, it appeared that they were ready to open a new section. I will be returning in September with the 38ft Motorhome with my toad, so looking forward to another adventure!! So to speak!!. I will cross over at San Luis, get on Highway 2 to Mexicali and then on 5 to San Felipe and Gonzaga. I found Highway 5 was in very good condition and the drive was great when I went through there in May. If anyone stops at Coco's over the next two months, please find out what he really needs and I will bring it with me. Meanwhile; hoping for more road reports between now and the first of September.. Thanks everyone.

David K - 7-4-2016 at 11:51 AM

Coco seems to always appreciate fresh fruit, Neosporin, ... and cat food, too.

Here is Coco's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/cocoscorner.ranch

Coco's Sticker.jpg - 105kB

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by David K]

TMW - 7-4-2016 at 12:17 PM

I was at Cocos a week ago. He wants a gas powered chain saw that I'm working on. Also someone to fix his VHS VCR. I have a brand new DVD/VHS player still in the box that I will take him next time down. Yes he usually needs cat food for his cats and he likes chocolate chip cookies and tomatoes. I usually bring him a bag of rice and pinto beans along with a case of bottled water. He gets his drinking water from Catavina.

FYI the paved road is 9 miles north of Cocos as I remember, I forgot the KM number.

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by TMW]

David K - 7-4-2016 at 06:15 PM

Without looking at my notes, I recall the detour off the pavement was at km. 170.5/ 12.5 miles south of Gonzaga Pemex and just under 10 miles north of Coco's Corner. Hwy. 1 was just under 13 miles from Coco's.

MexicoDiesel - 8-25-2016 at 05:20 PM

Wow, it's been a long time since anyone posted an update on Highway 5 progress. Does anyone have any current information??

David K - 8-25-2016 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoDiesel  
Wow, it's been a long time since anyone posted an update on Highway 5 progress. Does anyone have any current information??

Yes, I think more posts might be in the Trip Reports forum?
I posted detail there on my last trip down the 5 to the 1, on July 10, 2016.

The pavement ended at the exact place it ended in 2015, as far back as January or thereabouts. I was on it in July (2015), one year before the latest trip. Ended 20.5 kilometers south of the Gonzaga Pemex.

The 2015 Km. marker before the end was 170, but they changed them all at some point, so now it ends just after Km. 167.

Another update over my 2015 report is the location of the Coco's Bypass on the south end... it connects with the older road about a mile further from Coco's than I guessed in 2015.

Here is a modified Coco's Bypass map to reflect the new observation:

Howard - 8-25-2016 at 06:38 PM

Aren't there some beers that are owed me for betting the pavement would not be finished this year? I think I laid 10 to 1 beers on the bets.
Come on now, fess up on the bet! Don't make me embarrass you on this web site as it reaches far and wide in the Baja! :biggrin::lol:

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by Howard]

basautter - 8-25-2016 at 06:39 PM

Thanks for the update. Going to be there next month!

Howard - 8-25-2016 at 07:03 PM

I know exactly when it will be completed.

Manana :))

mtgoat666 - 8-25-2016 at 07:27 PM

It's already done enough. I drove it last month, not bad.

rts551 - 8-25-2016 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Aren't there some beers that are owed me for betting the pavement would not be finished this year? I think I laid 10 to 1 beers on the bets.
Come on now, fess up on the bet! Don't make me embarrass you on this web site as it reaches far and wide in the Baja! :biggrin::lol:

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by Howard]

Yes sir. And I will pay up in Jan.

rts551 - 8-25-2016 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Come on now, fess up on the bet!

Like you I have been noticing the average has been about 10 kms. per year... and this past year really slowed down!

An un-named Nomad was one who seemed to want to bet that it would be done this year... after all, he drives it every month or so!

My guess (I think) was 2018 at best??

If you drove it more than once every couple of years you would know they were working very hard at it. Way more than your 10 KM per year until a complaint was filed for environmental damage. I suspect when the fine is paid, they will be off and working again. Maybe in time for your next trip in 2018. I will keep you updated in the meantime.

David K - 8-25-2016 at 10:29 PM

The work below Puertecitos began in 2007 and I or other nice people here have reported or shown photos of its progress each year.

Puertecitos is Km. 74.5 and the pavement ends now at Km. 167.5.

That's 93 Km. or 57.7 miles... let's call it 58.

2016-2007= 9 YEARS

58 / 9 = 6.4 MILES... 10 KMS = 6.2 miles

BajaGlenn - 8-26-2016 at 07:08 AM

In 74 it took us 3 days to get from tho border to the highway on 5--have not done it since then--:bounce: May this fall tho!!:light:

norte - 8-26-2016 at 08:43 AM

WOW. Clicked on the thread hoping for a road update (that is the title I think). Instead got DAVIDK trying to dis other members and showing 25 old pictures.

DOESN'T anyone have a road update. Trying to dis other members need not reply.

chuckie - 8-26-2016 at 11:48 AM

AND they are the same pics we have seen over and over....I think there was an update a few days ago, as I remember, not much has changed...try the search feature with a short time limit on it...good luck

norte - 8-26-2016 at 01:28 PM

I was going by this post on the 25th. I will just go elsewhere.

chuckie - 8-26-2016 at 01:29 PM

OR! Just post some more ME ME ME ME pictures.....

fish101 - 8-26-2016 at 01:38 PM

I was looking for a good update on this Highway 5, as I am heading back to Loreto sometime around September 15 with the 38ft motorhome and the Liberty behind it. I thought it was a piece of cake in May when I went through there with the rig, although it was rough in places, so at 10 mph it takes a while to get through it. Hopefully they have graded it by the middle of September.. So, David, if you get any more updates, please post them.. Thanks..

David K - 8-26-2016 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

I was going by this post on the 25th. I will just go elsewhere.

In this forum, I was the most recent road report, posted on 7-11-16, a day after driving it:

Hi Nomads,
I was on Hwy. 5 yesterday (Sunday) all the way to Hwy. 1.
NOT ONE INCH of new pavement has been added to the section under construction in the past ~ 1.5 years (we drove it in July 2015 and it was about 6 mos. old I think then).

Crews were sitting around on site but no machines were operating except for a water on the Laguna Chapala crossing. It was Sunday, but I think I have seen them work Sundays before?

Except for maybe 3 completed bridges and the road bed across the Chapala valley, it is hardly any different, through the mountain section, than in July 2015.

We just got home tonight, so look for a full, photo-filled trip report soon!

OH, they changed the kilometer markers somewhere south of Puertecitos! The Gonzaga Pemex was Km. 150 last year, and now is Km. 147 (just south of the marker).
Pavement ends just over 20 kilometers south (Km. 167 1/2).
My odometer has the dirt from there to Coco's Corner at 9.9 miles and Coco's to Hwy. 1 at 12.6 miles. There are some small sections of new road bed you do get to drive on which lowered the overall miles by a tiny bit from my readings last year. Dirt total now 22.5 miles.

EDIT: Just looked at the Trip Reports forum, and like here, I was the most recent report (7-10-16 trip). Surely some Nomad can post of any changes in the past month, if any?

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by David K]

rts551 - 8-26-2016 at 02:42 PM

I think you drove everyone away David by making this post about you and your pictures. If anyone is still around, I went through 3 weeks ago. Work is proceeding on the east and west parts of the road with the foreman saying they were getting ready to pave those sections (but things change as we all know). The middle section was being regarded and it looked as though they were going back to work. I will be going through soon and will be posting any additional reports over on facebook TALKBAJA.

chuckie - 8-26-2016 at 02:46 PM

That's the deal....

willardguy - 8-26-2016 at 03:16 PM

you mean TALKBAJA where they have "blocking"? :bounce:...priceless!

David K - 8-26-2016 at 03:19 PM

Well sure, I was only sharing some historic photos because (believe it or not) there are new people here every day, and not everyone has seen the old pics. I hope BajaGlenn enjoyed them because I just removed them seeing as two or three of you were wetting yourselves over something so petty as photos of the old road in the 70s.

willardguy - 8-26-2016 at 03:33 PM

:lol: historical photo's....you need help my man!

chuckie - 8-26-2016 at 03:35 PM

Oh! You removed them? Well that makes it allright then..

BajaGlenn - 8-26-2016 at 03:35 PM

I missed them david but thanks for the thought tho!! I'm in the process if trying to sell my place here in Oregon and hope to move back to Baja-wife permitting-i have enjoyed your posts in the past tho!!!--Glenn

rts551 - 8-26-2016 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Oh! You removed them? Well that makes it allright then..

And his other meaningless posts as well. Another hit and run.

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by rts551]

David K - 8-26-2016 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
I missed them david but thanks for the thought tho!! I'm in the process if trying to sell my place here in Oregon and hope to move back to Baja-wife permitting-i have enjoyed your posts in the past tho!!!--Glenn

In this thread, scroll down to my post on 3-4-2013 to see some photos I took in the 70s south of Puertecitos...
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64948

BajaGlenn - 8-26-2016 at 05:55 PM

Thanks David i looked at em all and yes i remember the clam man in S.F and his slogan "My clams make you horny" Anyone-Remember that!! Glenn

[Edited on 6-11-2015 by BajaGlenn]

dtbushpilot - 8-26-2016 at 06:23 PM

Drove it southbound yesterday. It is pretty much the same as it has been for the last year or so, still 21 miles of bad road.

TMW - 8-26-2016 at 06:37 PM

Did you stop by Cocos? How is he doing?

David K - 8-26-2016 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
Thanks David i looked at em all and yes i remember the clam man in S.F and his slogan "My clams make you horny" Anyone-Remember that!! Glenn

[Edited on 6-11-2015 by BajaGlenn]

Yep and fish tacos were 25 cents! My friends and I ate well curb--side in San Felipe before driving the 20 dirt miles to Shell Island back around 1980!

joel - 8-26-2016 at 07:04 PM

Drove it a week ago. For a dirt road, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not quite the best shape I've seen it in but better than it typically is. The road crews have been maintaining the road well. The progress on the paved road is remarkable. Some new bridges in and a lot of road bed has been set.

dtbushpilot - 8-26-2016 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Did you stop by Cocos? How is he doing?

Yes I did Tom, he looked good. There was a good size group of Baja adventurers there and he was in his element. He and his place looked better than ever.

rts551 - 8-26-2016 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
Drove it a week ago. For a dirt road, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not quite the best shape I've seen it in but better than it typically is. The road crews have been maintaining the road well. The progress on the paved road is remarkable. Some new bridges in and a lot of road bed has been set.

Thank you Joel for an excellent and relevant report. Hope it helps those looking for info.

Ron in BC - 8-29-2016 at 02:30 PM

Really appreciate the effort made to provide up-to-date info on this route.

It was my first time down this last Jan. and I'm hoping that I can take that route by next Jan. But, with a small truck and a 19' trailer I'm hoping some time before Jan. I see reports that paving is being done.

Keep those reports coming :)

Ron

MexicoDiesel - 10-7-2016 at 09:19 PM

No updates on Highway 5 since the end of August and we are now getting close to Snowbird travel time. Does anyone have an up to date report on Highway 5??

David K - 10-8-2016 at 07:04 AM

No updates on Highway 5 since the end of August and we are now getting close to Snowbird travel time. Does anyone have an up to date report on Highway 5??

I drove it to Coco's from Gonzaga last month (Sept. 10, 2016)... it is in my trip report... basically, NO additional pavement miles southbound (same place as early 2014) but crews are back at work, whereas in July they seemed to be on stand down.

If 22-23 dirt miles are going to be an issue, then avoid... but the road is no worse than the detours along sections of other highways you will be driving in Baja. The steep dips (vados) between San Felipe and Puertecitos can be more of an issue than the dirt section of Hwy. 5, if taken too fast.

rhintransit - 10-9-2016 at 06:21 PM

Drove it the day before yesterday. Subaru, no problems. 1 1/2 hrs for the 22.5 miles. Graded, rocky, not too many sand patches. Some areas where you could choose rock vs sand parallel paths. Some "guess which way" areas but all seemed to reconverge fairly quickly. Trip report and photos to follow in my original thread Mex 5, again.

fish101 - 10-10-2016 at 06:19 AM

Glad you made it back to Loreto safely, ROberta.. Wasn't that bad going on 5, was it?? Hope you enjoyed the beautiful scenery along the coast.

MexicoDiesel - 10-10-2016 at 06:19 PM

Thanks for those reports. I was hoping that a miracle had happened and the paving was done, but we will stick to Mex 1 for this season.

Fernweh - 10-10-2016 at 06:45 PM

I just drove Hwy 5 from the Chapala intersection to San Felipe, a week ago or so......
The construction crews are working hard on this road project. Many concrete culverts are finished already, way ahead of the road grading.
Still quiet rocky and dusty to drive this last 23 Miles of Hwy 5's dirt road section.
I rather deal with the traffic on #1.
From Chapala

to the asphalt road

mulegemichael - 10-11-2016 at 09:07 PM

i love this route...we will NEVER go through san quintin and ensenada again...i LOVE this "all about baja" route...no trucks, no buses, no lights, no white knuckles, no exhaustion, etc, etc...

dtbushpilot - 10-12-2016 at 04:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mulegemichael  
i love this route...we will NEVER go through san quintin and ensenada again...i LOVE this "all about baja" route...no trucks, no buses, no lights, no white knuckles, no exhaustion, etc, etc...

Me too....

fish101 - 10-12-2016 at 06:45 AM

I'm with you "mulegemichael", there is no other route for me either. I did it twice now with the 38ft motorhome towing my JEEP and will go that way again, when I head north next year.. No STRESS on 5..A few trucks (very few) and some pick-ups that are going too fast for the conditions, but I love that route..

The Enchanted Islands along Mexico #5

David K - 10-12-2016 at 08:20 AM

HWY 5 update from SF to HWY 1

BajaBuzz - 12-5-2016 at 01:49 PM

Going to Loreto for Christmas. Any nomads have any recent updates on the condtion of the 21 miles of dirt?

still 23 miles of dirt!

John M - 12-5-2016 at 03:42 PM

It didn't appear as though any further paving could happen before the end of this year.

I'd say that half of the 23 miles is much better due to it being either used by work crews or because it will be the future road.

Even the formerly very slow and rocky part just west of Coco's has been improved a little by bringing in fill dirt. All in all, not so bad.

JM (report from traveling it a couple of weeks ago)

BigWooo - 12-6-2016 at 07:35 AM

For those of you towing trailers, we pulled a 19' travel trailer over the route from Chapala to the other side on December 6th. The entire route took 2 hours 20 minutes.

Overall, I think it was a little rough for a travel trailer.

I think I'd only do it again if I heard that the flat stretches were recently graded. If those were smoother, I think the middle sections with the rock knuckles would be tolerable. When we crossed, the washboard was just a little bit too much for the trailer on the flat straight sections.

I was pulling with a 1 ton Chevy, and averaged 5-10 mph. I have new tires, axles and suspension, and some lift not he trailer with axles mounted under the springs. We dropped the air pressure in both the truck and trailer tires.

I would definitely avoid this section if you have older suspension, older tires, an older worn trailer, or anything much larger than 20'

I think towing a well maintained small utility trailer would be fairly easy, but I'd personally avoid towing a fiberglass or heavier boat across this route.

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by BigWooo]

chuckie - 12-6-2016 at 08:11 AM

Is there a car wash close by on Hiway 1? I wouldn't want to have to drive a dusty truck very far!

TMW - 12-6-2016 at 08:27 AM

Yea the SOC, a little salty but not bad.

chuckie - 12-6-2016 at 09:15 AM

WIFI at the car wash? Have to have WIFI...and a good ATM exchange rate....

David K - 12-6-2016 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Yea the SOC, a little salty but not bad.

There's a lake at Chapala... if Chuckie's lucky, it will have water in it!

Photos from BajaTripper, May 2010:

chuckie - 12-6-2016 at 09:58 AM

Would it be safe?

David K - 12-6-2016 at 10:04 AM

No, the scuba banditos are lurking... and piranha, too!

chuckie - 12-6-2016 at 11:40 AM

Are they as bad as the Chupacabras?

Rumrunner - 12-6-2016 at 02:37 PM

Drove it last week, 46 minutes towing an empty
Utility trailer.

msteve1014 - 12-6-2016 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Drove it last week, 46 minutes towing an empty
Utility trailer.

Hey Dave, Where is the fishing report?

Do you think it is worth going that way if I have to go back to the 5/405 up the coast to get home?

Tomas Tierra - 12-8-2016 at 07:42 PM

Mike,

I have gone that way the last few trips.. Faster easier.. I would recommend it. Pain in the burro getting through Mexicali until you do it once

You in town? Let's get a beer..

TT

MexicoDiesel - 10-16-2017 at 03:20 PM

Does anyone have an up to date description of Mexico 5 condition?
Thanks in advance.

David K - 10-16-2017 at 03:36 PM

Does anyone have an up to date description of Mexico 5 condition?
Thanks in advance.

This thread has the latest reports, I believe. Including my observations from 2 months ago (ie. 22 unpaved miles remain... easy for most vehicles... semi tractor/trucks use it as a major shortcut between Mexicali and Baja Sur.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86807

Still a bit bouncy for motorhome and travel trailers if you have unsecured dishes in cabinets!

[Edited on 10-16-2017 by David K]